What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR DeAndre Hopkins, TEN (3 Viewers)

He's still injured and playing through it while helping the real football team, better days ahead, once he heals(not a doctor, but rib injury is a pain tolerance issue and it takes weeks to heal, but you can play through them). Also last week, they still targeted him 6 times in a game they didn't need to do much to beat Jacksonville so that was encouraging. I think he will progress and do better unless in game he suffers a setback so there is added risk. 

This week it's all been DNP so far (since Wed), but I don't have the cajones to bench him, he'll start for me.  I'm hoping the more competitive matchup makes it necessary that they need him. But I'm also not expecting him to blow up. 

At worst, in the short term he'll be slowed and underperform his ROS rank. I think long term he'll be fine ROS. 

Diggs and Hopkins are super close in ROS ranks so if you look at it 'week to week'(mentally unhealthy/torture), just know it'll be like flipping a coin instead. I would just side w/ Hopkins side of coin though since I believe Kyler is better than Allen slightly.

TLDR: I would say don't feel dumb about that WR aspect of the trade yet, those 2 WRs are kinda the same right now. :)

Thanks! It was more a hedge if/when I play the Murray owner again :)  He's major competition, so it was sort of chess in my mind.

Hopkins practiced today, so that is relieving. Week to week is painful for fantasy football, as we only have a week of information, but it feels like the better you reset last weeks' results for a new matchup, while keeping emerging trends in mind, that you'll be set up to hopefully have edges against opponents.

The over under is so high, I feel you have to start him if he's practicing. 

Not to mention likely matching up with arch-nemesis Jalen Ramsey.  

From the Primer:

DeAndre Hopkins: A rib injury kept Hopkins out of practice for most of last week. He played against Jacksonville anyway but had his quietest game of the season so far, catching three passes for 21 yards. Hopkins missed Wednesday’s practice with the same injury. Assuming he plays, he’ll be primarily matched up against Rams CB Darious Williams, which certainly beats being primarily matched up against Rams CB Jalen Ramsey.

DeAndre Hopkins caught 4-of-7 targets for 67 yards in the Cardinals' Week 4 win over the Rams. 

The Cardinals rolled the Rams in Los Angeles, but Hopkins was held to four-or-fewer grabs for the third straight game. His 67 yards were actually his most since Week 1, however, which tells you all you need to know about his limited production to begin the season. Hopkins has not scored since Week 2 and is averaging 56 yards. His rib issue has surely played a part. He will have a woefully-undermanned 49ers secondary to feast on for Week 5, keeping him in the WR1 ranks.

DeAndre Hopkins (illness) did not participate for the second straight practice on Thursday.

It would be irresponsible to assume that this is COVID-19, but with the Cardinals dealing with a rash of it, it wouldn't be surprising if it was. Hopkins' status will be updated Friday in some capacity, we're sure, and that will give us a clearer picture of what's happening here. For now, it feels like we should rely on Hopkins' history of playing through injuries as a guiding point for his status this week.  

Oct 14, 2021, 4:08 PM ET

I only need to start 1 WR with my 3 RB... do I bench Nuk in favor of Godwin tonight or ride Nuk?  My only other WR is Aiyuk and he is on a bye?

To be honest I am ready to sell Nuk in dynasty, but hard to pull trigger.

Last edited by a moderator:
I only need to start 1 WR with my 3 RB... do I bench Nuk in favor of Godwin tonight or ride Nuk?  My only other WR is Aiyuk and he is on a bye?

To be honest I am ready to sell Nuk in dynasty, but hard to pull trigger.
Hope you saved nuk lol

Don't sell nuk on a down year right now- gotta wait for a hot streak perhaps 

DeAndre Hopkins (hamstring) is active for Week 8 against the Packers. 

Hopkins got in zero practice reps on the short week, but the Cardinals never expressed concern about his status. The short week certainly is not ideal for someone with a soft-tissue injury, but Hopkins can still be fired up on the WR1/2 borderline. Inactive for the Cardinals are QB Chris Streveler, WR Andy Isabella, RB Eno Benjamin, C Max Garcia, DT Rashard Lawrence and DT J.J. Watt.

Oct 28, 2021, 6:56 PM ET

DeAndre Hopkins caught 2-of-2 targets for 66 yards in the Cardinals' Week 8 loss to the Packers. 

It was a miracle Hopkins provided the 8.6 PPR points he did, as he was in and out of the game all evening after aggravating his hamstring injury on a 55-yard catch at the 8:18 mark of the first quarter. That grab briefly went in the books as a 61-yard touchdowns after Hopkins put a stunningly filthy in-air double move on Pack CB Eric Stokes, but Nuk was justifiably called for a facemask penalty near the goal line. He then missed nearly two entire quarters of action before surprisingly returning midway through the quarter. The Cards "picked their spots" from there on out, and it resulted in one more target as Nuk still spent most of his time on the sideline. Hopkins' Week 9 health cannot be taken for granted once the adrenaline wears off, though he will have 10 days to get healthy for a divisional showdown with the 49ers.  

Oct 29, 2021, 12:09 AM ET

Cards probably need to shut hm down for a month and get him right for the post season.  They have a 3 game cushion for a playoff spot and only play 3 games between now and December 5th.

Cards probably need to shut hm down for a month and get him right for the post season.  They have a 3 game cushion for a playoff spot and only play 3 games between now and December 5th.
NFL teams do not think like that. ARZ is still in the hunt for the 1 seed and only bye. In addition to that they only have a 1 game lead on the Rams for the division. No team is thinking "ok we have playoffs locked up, we can afford to risk some losses to drop to a wildcard spot."

NFL teams do not think like that. ARZ is still in the hunt for the 1 seed and only bye. In addition to that they only have a 1 game lead on the Rams for the division. No team is thinking "ok we have playoffs locked up, we can afford to risk some losses to drop to a wildcard spot."

They really should....

1) Next four are 49ers, Panthers, Seahawks, and Bears.  Still looking at 2-2 easily without Hopkins.

2) They already beat the Rams.  Even if they are a game behind the Rams prior to the second Rams game, if they beat them a second time they are now back in first.

3) Judging by the number of Packer fans at the game last night, HFA isn't the end all for that team.

A healthy Nuk just opens up so many things for Arizona.  Going to need that to run the gauntlet of Tampa, Dallas, LA, GB in the playoffs.

I hope not as a Nuk owner but I agree with your point here. 

Honestly he looked good last night. You don't make a TD play like that on one leg. 

His strain definitely seems mild. I wouldn't be surprised if he's fully OK next week. 

The AJ play shows how much they need him in the redzone. 

“DeAndre Hopkins (hamstring) is a game-time decision for Week 9 against the 49ers.Hopkins failed to practice throughout the week and is not expected to suit up against San Francisco despite having 10 days to rest in between performances.”

Looks like we should find another option for him this week. 

“DeAndre Hopkins (hamstring) is a game-time decision for Week 9 against the 49ers.Hopkins failed to practice throughout the week and is not expected to suit up against San Francisco despite having 10 days to rest in between performances.”

Looks like we should find another option for him this week. 
Who is saying this? 🤔

would still consider him a baller.... would you spend a 2022 1st to get him, at his age?
Personally I would not, even if I were a contender. But that is just how I operate as a dynasty owner. I feel like in this scenario come draft day you will look back and regret that type of deal 9/10 times.

Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury called DeAndre Hopkins (hamstring) "day-to-day."

Hopkins was sidelined in Week 9 after missing the entire week of practices and being listed as questionable. If he manages to get in a limited practice or two before the end of the week, Hopkins should return for the Cardinals' Week 10 matchup with the Panthers. He'll be a low-end WR1 if he suits up.

SOURCE: Josh Weinfuss on Twitter

Nov 8, 2021, 3:44 PM ET

DeAndre Hopkins (hamstring) did not practice Wednesday.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport noted that Hopkins is in a similar situation to Kyler Murray, who sat out practice with an ankle injury. Both players are at risk of missing Arizona's Week 10 game against the Panthers. Hopkins missed Week 9 with the hamstring issue after missing practice all week. If he remains out, Christian Kirk could step up as the team's No.1 receiver. Kirk led the team in targets with Hopkins and A.J. Green (COVID) both out last week. Kirk would slot in as a WR3 with Rondale Moore deserving some FLEX consideration.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Nov 10, 2021, 2:34 PM ET

Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury said DeAndre Hopkins (hamstring) is a game-time decision for Week 10 against the Panthers.

Arizona's offense is an impossible one to sort out since Kyler Murray (ankle), Rondale Moore (neck, concussion), and Hopkins are all considered gameday calls. With A.J. Green activated from the team's COVID list, he and Christian Kirk are destined to lead the team in routes run no matter how the statuses around them shake out. James Conner remains the strongest play on the team whether Murray is under center or not.

SOURCE: Darren Urban on Twitter

Nov 12, 2021, 1:56 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports DeAndre Hopkins (hamstring) is not expected to play in Week 10 against the Panthers.

Hopkins didn't practice all week after missing the Cardinals' Week 9 game. He did not practice leading up to that absence either. A.J. Green was activated from the reserve/COVID-19 list, giving Arizona a much-needed boost in receiving talent with Hopkins out again. Green led the non-Hopkins receivers in targets before missing Week 9 and should slot in as their top option this week. He projects as a solid WR3 option with Christian Kirk and Rondale Moore having some deep FLEX appeal.

Nov 14, 2021, 8:29 AM ET

DeAndre Hopkins (hamstring) is out for Week 11. 

This will be Hopkins' third consecutive missed game with an apparently serious hamstring injury. Cardinals head coach Kliff Kingsbury said Hopkins will "have a chance" to play in Week 13, following the team's Week 12 bye. Christian Kirk has operated as the team's top wideout in Hopkins' absence, seeing a 25 percent target share over past two games along with 31 percent of team's air yards. Kirk is a high-end WR3 option this week against the Seahawks. 

RELATED: 

Christian Kirk

, A.J. Green

SOURCE: James Palmer on Twitter 

Nov 19, 2021, 1:00 PM ET

DeAndre Hopkins (hamstring) returned to practice on Wednesday.

Hopkins practiced for the first time since before Arizona's Week 7's matchup with the Texans. Hopkins has missed the Cardinal's last four games, but following their Week 12 bye he has a chance to suit up this week. Kyler Murray is also practicing and both players could make their return against the Bears on Sunday. Hopkins could be limited even if he goes, given the risk of recurrence with hamstring injuries. He will be a WR2 if he's active.

RELATED: 

Kyler Murray

Dec 1, 2021, 11:49 AM ET

This guy- like literally almost 40 days of rest. This would be one of the worst hamstring pulls in history- why did he even play that TNF game and come back in the game against his coaches wishes? 

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports that barring a setback, Cardinals WR DeAndre Hopkins (hamstring) is expected to return to the lineup on Sunday.

Hopkins will be a hard-to-read play as the Cardinals weren't really force-feeding him early in the year when he was healthy and there's a risk of re-aggravation. It's hard to not at least put him in the top-20 this week, but there's a wide range of outcomes. Nevertheless, good to see one of the NFL's finest on track to return to the lineup. 

Dec 2, 2021, 3:23 PM ET

DeAndre Hopkins (hamstring) is a game-time decision for Week 13 against the Bears.

Kyler Murray, who Kliff Kingsbury finally confirmed has been battling through a high-ankle sprain, is also a game-time call. Kingsbury also said with Arizona's record this year, the team was always going to be "overly cautious with Kyler and Hop." If active, one would assume Hopkins is at full strength and won't be limited as a strong WR2 with hopes of increased volume.

Dec 3, 2021, 1:17 PM ET

This guy- like literally almost 40 days of rest. This would be one of the worst hamstring pulls in history- why did he even play that TNF game and come back in the game against his coaches wishes? 
It's on a par with many other bad pulls. Look at Logan Thomas. 

It was probably the re-aggravation that really hurt him. 

He is going to have to blow up on my bench. Starting Mooney whom I believe will see more targets but is definitely healthy. 

Kyler Murray and DeAndre Hopkins come as a pair.  If one sits, so will the other.  And I think Murray will sit.

DeAndre Hopkins (hamstring) is active for Week 13 against the Bears. 

As is Kyler Murray (ankle). The Cardinals rather absurdly claimed both would be game-time decisions after it had been clear all week they would finally suit up for the first time since Week 8. While we have no questions about Murray's health, there have been reports Hopkins could be on something of a snap count. It's a little hard to believe coming out of the Cardinals' bye, but perhaps he will only be a 60-70 percent player. That is still enough for a WR2 valuation in fantasy leagues. Inactive for the Cardinals are WR Andy Isabella, QB Trace McSorley, OG Justin Pugh and CB Jace Whittaker. 

Dec 5, 2021, 11:31 AM ET

1st week back from a hammy, I'd be looking for reasons to sit him. Not for anybody, but if I had another top-25 guy, say Tee Higgins for example, I'd be sitting Hopkins

Users who are viewing this thread