What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Teddy Bridgewater, DET (2 Viewers)

Teddy Bridgewater completed 23-of-38 passes for 281 yards, two touchdowns and zero interceptions in the Saints' 36-25, Week 7 win against the Bears.

Bridgewater avoided mistakes the entire afternoon and managed to put up 36 points on one of the best defenses in football. His box score could’ve been even bigger had Ted Ginn come down with a perfectly thrown deep ball in the end zone from 30 yards out. Bridgewater and Ginn did connect later on a deep pass down the middle for 45 yards, setting up a short touchdown run. The Saints ability to #EstablishTheRun with Latavius Murray helped the offense stay ahead of the sticks all game. Bridgewater is tentatively expected to start again in Week 8 against the Cardinals before Drew Brees (thumb) ideally returns following the team’s Week 9 bye.

Oct 20, 2019, 8:13 PM ET

ESPN's Mike Triplett said it will "likely take a special situation to pry [Teddy Bridgewater] away" from the Saints this offseason.

Bridgewater is an unrestricted free agent, but Triplett isn't so sure he'll leave after going 5-0 with the Saints as Drew Brees' backup. Bridgewater not only loves the coaching staff and players in New Orleans but also feels like the city is the right fit for him. Triplett believes a "good team" that won't be drafting a quarterback in 2020 would be the only type of team that could get Bridgewater to not re-sign with the Saints. There's simply not many of those teams out there that don't already have a franchise quarterback. It's possible that Brees and Bridgewater return for next season as the Saints look to get revenge for their early-round exit from the playoffs.

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Jan 8, 2020, 9:41 AM ET

Guy who has always gotten a bum rap, starting with the draft. Waiting Brees out, collecting $4-$5mm a year, and then taking over as the Saints QB would be the shark move for him. I root for this guy, still think he can have a quality career as an NFL starter. Hope it works out for him. 

fantasycurse42 said:
Guy who has always gotten a bum rap, starting with the draft. Waiting Brees out, collecting $4-$5mm a year, and then taking over as the Saints QB would be the shark move for him. I root for this guy, still think he can have a quality career as an NFL starter. Hope it works out for him. 
Taysom Hill.

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports Teddy Bridgewater is expected to have a "strong market" in free agency and could land a multi-year deal, paying him around $30 million per year.

Fowler added, "Multiple teams expect Bridgewater to have a strong free agency market as a starting or bridge quarterback for a team in transition. Widely expected to be on the move unless Drew Brees retires." The number is certainly a bit shocking, although Bridgewater does deserve credit for posting above-average rankings in adjusted yards per attempt (15th), QB Rating (11th), TD Rate (13th) and completion rate (6th) among 38 QBs to start at least five games in 2019. Of course, the Saints did offer Bridgewater just about the most QB-friendly offense possible, as he was seldom asked to do more than check the ball down to Alvin Kamara or Michael Thomas. Either way: Bridgewater figures to command starter-caliber money from someone in 2020. The Saints will likely need to make a decision between keeping Bridgewater or Taysom Hill if Drew Brees wishes to continue playing in 2020.

SOURCE: uStadium on Twitter

Feb 17, 2020, 4:13 PM ET

fruity pebbles said:
I’m not even saying he won’t get it. Just that any team paying him that is going to a loser.
When is the last time Teddy lost a game?

Its Kirk Cousins money and it just keeps getting more ridiculous as we go but teams are willing to commit a large percentage of their cap space to the QB position, so thats the price.

Except you dont know what you get with Love. 

By this reasoning, no one should ever sign a veteran QB, because all rookies will out perform their rookie contract

The worst thing the Bucs could do is get QB wrong in the draft and waste this great WR group they have

But sure, the best thing is to get a franchise qb in the draft. If you can accurately predict who those will be, you should send your resume to NFL teams and cash in on that talent
No team should ever sign a veteran period if that's the logic. 

I love the conversation on Brady Watch 2020 here in Boston. In particular, what the media thinks NE will be able to pay someone other than Brady. Some of the experts and analysts here are confident NE would be able to pick up Bridgewater for $5-6 million a season. I chuckled. He played last year for $7.25M to be a clear back up. I also find it odd that some folks are suggesting Bridgewater could get $30 million a year. That's also funny in its own right, but I don't see how folks can say he is a legit option for the Pats for only $5 million a year.

I love the conversation on Brady Watch 2020 here in Boston. In particular, what the media thinks NE will be able to pay someone other than Brady. Some of the experts and analysts here are confident NE would be able to pick up Bridgewater for $5-6 million a season. I chuckled. He played last year for $7.25M to be a clear back up. I also find it odd that some folks are suggesting Bridgewater could get $30 million a year. That's also funny in its own right, but I don't see how folks can say he is a legit option for the Pats for only $5 million a year.
He should see something in the Foles range I'd guess ($18-24MM) - is he truly worth that? I don't know but QBs get paid.

He should see something in the Foles range I'd guess ($18-24MM) - is he truly worth that? I don't know but QBs get paid.
I don't know what his market value is or what he will sign for, but I was listening to an ongoing conversation on the radio on what NE would do post-Brady (if it came to that). The talking heads felt very confident that the Pats could sign Teddy for 2 years at $5 million a year. Then they went on to start rebuilding the team using that number . . . which I found silly. I don't see Bridgewater signing for anywhere near that. He probably won't get $30 million a year, but whatever he gets should be WAY north of $5 million a year.

I don't know what his market value is or what he will sign for, but I was listening to an ongoing conversation on the radio on what NE would do post-Brady (if it came to that). The talking heads felt very confident that the Pats could sign Teddy for 2 years at $5 million a year. Then they went on to start rebuilding the team using that number . . . which I found silly. I don't see Bridgewater signing for anywhere near that. He probably won't get $30 million a year, but whatever he gets should be WAY north of $5 million a year.
It is silly.

It's going to be weird without Brady. Maybe the guys your listening to are in a state of shock?

Brady took a discount for the team. Doesnt mean a free agent or Brady are willing to do that for the team right now. I can see why they might have that expectation though.

It is silly.

It's going to be weird without Brady. Maybe the guys your listening to are in a state of shock?

Brady took a discount for the team. Doesnt mean a free agent or Brady are willing to do that for the team right now. I can see why they might have that expectation though.
Still not convinced Brady is moving on. That’s not me wishing as a homer. I think they might be better off without him (although that would depend on his contract). 

The group think has Brady not really wanting to make wholesale changes and Kraft writing him a blank check. We’ll see. 

As far as the guys discussing TB12’s replacement, whomever they mentioned as a potential starter they said could be had for $4-8 million, even if that player was acquired by trade and had a much larger contract. Dumb. 

As far as what Teddy will get from some team is similar to what Doc Oc said. He shouldn't really get more than Foles did last year.

The 30 million is where his agent will start and then see who makes the richest offer.

The Patriots haven't had to think about this for a long time.Its unfamiliar perhaps.

As a Vikings fan this has been the first time they have had the same QB for more than a season in awhile.

Except you dont know what you get with Love. 

By this reasoning, no one should ever sign a veteran QB, because all rookies will out perform their rookie contract

The worst thing the Bucs could do is get QB wrong in the draft and waste this great WR group they have

But sure, the best thing is to get a franchise qb in the draft. If you can accurately predict who those will be, you should send your resume to NFL teams and cash in on that talent
You get athleticism.  You get upside.  You get a cheap contract. 

I'm not saying you never sign a veteran QB, but if you're paying a QB $30M a year he needs to be the reason you win.  I wouldn't pay any of these veteran QB's, other than Brees/Brady who aren't going anywhere, that kind of money when you can get similar production from a player in the draft, and you might hit a Mahomes-esque home run. 

Bridgewater and Tannehill are trying to cash in on a small sample size similar to Nick Foles and Matt Flynn.  It will be a disaster.

They need to start blackballing QB contracts like with RBs.  Obviously QBs are more important and it's harder to find a good or franchise one, but the contracts are way out of whack and prevent teams from actually winning and building a championship team.

If I were running a team today, I would go with the game manager approach and let Trent Dilfer and Joe Flacco "lead" me to a title.

I probably would too... 

However at the end of the day it's the guaranteed money that matters. Bridgewater could sign for for 2 years 100 million, with only 10 guaranteed, cap hit of 85 million in 2021... he's obviously a cap casualty then and his total contract doesnt matter

The QB bubble wont pop, especially with this new CBA where more money goes to the players. What's more likely to happen is the NFL gets too greedy with their product and popularity of football starts to decrease. IMO this is inevitable with less and less kids going into football, leading to less talent in the sport, and ultimately a less entertaining NFL someday... 
Hopefully by then I'm living in South America surrounded by my several 20-something year old girlfriends and won't care anymore...

Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio reports that talks are underway between the Bears and former-Saints QB Teddy Bridgewater.

Florio added, "The initial numbers floating around (something in the range of $21 million per year) suggest that Bridgewater would be installed as the No. 1 option in Chicago." Bridgewater won all five of his starts with the Saints in 2019, although he emerged as one of the league's most check-down heavy QBs during the process. Of course, Tarik Cohen and Allen Robinson aren't terrible consolation prizes for Alvin Kamara and Michael Thomas, and the Bears figure to again boast one of the league's better defenses in 2020. This type of money indicates Mitchell Trubisky will almost assuredly not be starting come Week 1.

SOURCE: ProFootballTalk on Twitter

Mar 16, 2020, 1:45 PM ET

Yahoo's Charles Robinson reports free agent Teddy Bridgewater could be the Bucs' back-up plan if they miss out on free agent Tom Brady.

Bridgewater's market is looking hotter than Jameis Winston's at the moment, as he has also been connected to the Bears. What appears certain is that the Saints have to let him walk as they finalize re-signing Drew Brees and tender RFA Taysom Hill at the first-round level. Conservative Bridgewater would be a poor on-paper fit with coach Bruce Arians' hyper-aggressive down-field mindset.

RELATED: 

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

SOURCE: Charles Robinson on Twitter

Mar 16, 2020, 2:17 PM ET

ESPN's Dianna Russini reports the Panthers are showing "very strong interest" in Teddy Bridgewater.

With Cam Newton all but officially packed and gone, the Panthers' attention suddenly turns to Bridgewater as a potential rookie stopgap. The 27-year-old is obviously familiar with Carolina's offensive scheme given his ties to OC Joe Brady during their time together with the Saints in 2018. The Patriots are also reportedly interested in Bridgewater following Tom Brady's announcement that the latter will play elsewhere next season.

RELATED: 

New England Patriots

, Carolina Panthers

SOURCE: Dianna Russini on Twitter

Mar 17, 2020, 11:10 AM ET

Ian Rapoport . @RapSheet

The #Panthers are finalizing a deal with QB Teddy Bridgewater to be their starting QB, sources say. New OC Joe Brady gets a new QB in Teddy B. There is a basic agreement.

Gotta believe that's good for CMC (he won't vulture any goal line attempts) and for both WRs since Teddy is more a dink and dunk and a lot more accurate than what Moore and Samuel have had in the last few years. 

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports the Panthers and Teddy Bridgewater are negotiating a three-year, $60 million contract.

The deal is expected to get finalized by the time the new league year opens Wednesday. While this contract makes little sense from the outside looking in, it's consistent with the Panthers' ongoing inconsistencies in rebuilding the organization from the ground up. Bridgewater at the very least is familiar with Carolina's offensive scheme given his time spent with OC Joe Brady under the Saints' umbrella in 2018. His pedestrian 6.1 average depth of target is also a dream come true for both Christian McCaffrey and Curtis Samuel. The Patriots will have to look elsewhere for their successor under center.

RELATED: 

Carolina Panthers

SOURCE: Chris Mortensen on Twitter

Mar 17, 2020, 12:35 PM ET

Passing on him in recent drafts, or really just failing to draft him, kinda feels like not buying Amazon years ago. 

Pretty much the perfect place for him.

Users who are viewing this thread