What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Teddy Bridgewater, DET (2 Viewers)

That seems like a lot of money for a back-up, albeit possibly the heir apparent. Other back-ups getting north of $7M?
tyrod got 5.5... bridgewater has way more potential. It's a bit pricey I agree. I see it as an act of good faith to keep him around and give him a big contract in 2020

tyrod got 5.5... bridgewater has way more potential. It's a bit pricey I agree. I see it as an act of good faith to keep him around and give him a big contract in 2020
Hey Doc.....do you think this is Brees last year? 

Personally I don't. He stays in great shape and this team has super bowl window type talent for awhile IMO.

And even if Brees retires do you think they would really give a "big" contract to a guy in 2020 who wouldn't have taken a meaningful snap since 2015?

tia

I thought Teddy looked really good the other night.  I only wish he would have gone deep more, but he connected on his one deep attempt down the sideline.

Teddy Bridgewater completed 17-of-30 passes for 165 scoreless yards in the Saints' Week 2 loss to the Rams.

Drew Brees left with a potentially significant hand injury early, and Bridgewater wasn't able to put things together once he was thrust into the starting lineup. For right or wrong, Bridgewater has been considered one of the league's top backup quarterbacks, and this might be his time to prove it. With Michael Thomas and Alvin Kamara aiding him underneath and over the middle, Bridgewater will have an easier time than other backups, but he's not a good fantasy bet in Week 3 with a road trip to Seattle on deck. This, of course, is assuming Brees misses time. We'll learn more on that front early this week.

Last edited by a moderator:
The fan base is pretty uninspired, for what that’s worth. Hard to imagine Bridgewater putting up startable FF stats. He’s never even flashed in a Saints uniform (Wk 17 last season, preseason this year, today’s game).

He wasn’t even good when he was “good” 

Sure, he flashed a bit in Minnesota. But I’m pretty sure that devastating knee injury, skewed a lot of people’s memory.

He flashed. He got hurt in sad fashion. He rehabs and signs with the saints.

Great story.

But he wasn’t even “very good” when he was healthy and starting for the vikes

He wasn’t even good when he was “good” 

Sure, he flashed a bit in Minnesota. But I’m pretty sure that devastating knee injury, skewed a lot of people’s memory.

He flashed. He got hurt in sad fashion. He rehabs and signs with the saints.

Great story.

But he wasn’t even “very good” when he was healthy and starting for the vikes
He was decent but not as good as people think probably. Saints did give him a pretty good amount of money so they must think he’s capable 

He was decent but not as good as people think probably. Saints did give him a pretty good amount of money so they must think he’s capable 
Sure. He had great potential, but still was very average, at best “pretty good” as a Viking. That paired with the sad injury .. probably lead to the saints giving him more money than he was worth.

”decent” doesn’t work in the NFL if you’re a  QB. 

I think Sean Payton is getting too cute with this ... Taysom Hill gives that offense the best chance to win.

if Brees is indeed going to miss time? I’d bet on Hill starting next week.

Sure. He had great potential, but still was very average, at best “pretty good” as a Viking. That paired with the sad injury .. probably lead to the saints giving him more money than he was worth.

”decent” doesn’t work in the NFL if you’re a  QB. 

I think Sean Payton is getting too cute with this ... Taysom Hill gives that offense the best chance to win.

if Brees is indeed going to miss time? I’d bet on Hill starting next week.
So they gave him that contract bc they felt sorry for him? 

I’d be shocked if he’s not starting next week

Ray Barboni said:
Tool said:
So they gave him that contract bc they felt sorry for him? 
Yep
If it was just a matter of feeling sorry, then they wouldn't have named him the #2 QB, they wouldn't have had him finish the game yesterday, they would have had another QB in training camp, and they probably would have had a QB on their practice squad right now.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Bridgewater goes a respectable .500 as Saints QB and holds down the fort until Brees gets back in a division suddenly totally up-for-grabs.

I think Teddy is a fine QB and the shade thrown his way is, while not totally unwarranted given his struggles yesterday, not dispassionate enough to take an objective view of the situation. The Hill/Bridgewater debate shouldn't have any legs but for Payton's effusive praise of the former.

I don't even know what to say. The whole point of paying Bridgewater that contract is to absorb an injury to an aging Brees while keeping The Saints on track. They'll face a tough schedule with breaks against TB and then up until Arizona, and I certainly wouldn't want Hill learning on the fly against Seattle and Dallas, Jax and Chi later.

If Brees is actually out 6 weeks (some debate on that so far), I don't see a back up winning at SEA, vs, DAL, or at CHI. They are home against TB and ARI and should win those. Depending which Jags defense shows up, they could struggle at JAC. That would get them to 3-5 at the mid point of the season. The rest of the season is a little easier . . . home dates against ATL, CAR, SF, and IND and on the road against TB, ATL, TEN, and CAR. I can see them going 7-1 in those games. They could still win their division, but I think Brees missing a stretch takes them out of the running for a playoff bye.

A lot of Teddy's struggles can be addressed with a full starter's week or reps and game planning. He came in cold in relief and was marginal vs. an aggressive defense. Let's see how he does next game @ SEA.

Highest paid back up in the NFL for a reason...

Turned down an opp to be the Miami starting QB to tay with New Orleans assuming sooner or later he would take over for Drew Brees...he didn't envision 2nd Drive vs LARams on the road Week 2, that was not the discussion. 

I believe a week with the 1st unit in practice and he will be much better this coming Sunday. 

I would think about grabbing Bridgewater on the WW even if you don't own Brees. 6 weeks of all those skill position talent in New Orleans and their defense doesn't look that bad. 

Saints can float at .500 until Brees comes back with plenty of football left to make a playoff run, Saints are not saying their season is over. 

If Brees is actually out 6 weeks (some debate on that so far), I don't see a back up winning at SEA, vs, DAL, or at CHI. They are home against TB and ARI and should win those. Depending which Jags defense shows up, they could struggle at JAC. That would get them to 3-5 at the mid point of the season. The rest of the season is a little easier . . . home dates against ATL, CAR, SF, and IND and on the road against TB, ATL, TEN, and CAR. I can see them going 7-1 in those games. They could still win their division, but I think Brees missing a stretch takes them out of the running for a playoff bye.
A99, have you watched Sea vs Cinci or Sea vs Pitt, not sure they WON those games as much as the circumstances surrounding had a big impact especially on the road when a HoF level QB goes down for the season. 

Why would having the controls for 6 weeks be bad for Bridgewater who is the highest paid back up for a reason, who turned down Miami starting QB spot, who wanted to be with NO long term and enjoying Payton being extended thru 2024 which fits into his belief that he is Brees' successor whenever that is...as it turns out it was Week2 and now he has to be prepared for Week 3. 

Saints will win one of these 2 TOUGH ones next couple weeks, maybe they also split the easier ones and I think they can beat Chicago who hasn't looked good on offense at all. And you're right the 2nd half shapes up nicely. 

Get on board the Teddy Train 🚂

A99, have you watched Sea vs Cinci or Sea vs Pitt, not sure they WON those games as much as the circumstances surrounding had a big impact especially on the road when a HoF level QB goes down for the season. 

Why would having the controls for 6 weeks be bad for Bridgewater who is the highest paid back up for a reason, who turned down Miami starting QB spot, who wanted to be with NO long term and enjoying Payton being extended thru 2024 which fits into his belief that he is Brees' successor whenever that is...as it turns out it was Week2 and now he has to be prepared for Week 3. 

Saints will win one of these 2 TOUGH ones next couple weeks, maybe they also split the easier ones and I think they can beat Chicago who hasn't looked good on offense at all. And you're right the 2nd half shapes up nicely. 

Because I don't think Teddy is a starting NFL QB.

I could say that about a lot of QBs and I understand why you say that but is it not possible this guy looks better this coming Sunday after a full week of practice? 

He is going to have the keys to the kingdom and I don't believe New Orleans thinks they will lose going away with Teddy running the ship for a month or two. 

Is he a difference maker on bad teams? is he a franchise QB? Probably not however he will have plenty of weapons surrounding him and you put even an average QB in the right system and they will look great. 

I'm saying that maybe half the starting QBs on all 32 teams probably couldn't start for the other half but are products of their OC/HC and would look terrible in other organizations including the one that gets worshipped in your area 😉 

I think he will be better than most of the commenters (rockaction and MOP aside) AND he is the most cost effective replacement for Brees owners, which I am not (lol was one pick away from having Roethlisberger and Brees in the 13th rd)

Tougher to solve as a Big Ben owner - I don't think Mason Rudolph is terrible but he will have some struggles. Unlucky to have two owners in this league who were solo on QB both looking at the replacements this week. Going to try and find an alternate plan. Hell by later this week or next Daniel Jones might be an option. The top starting QB who are available do not have good matchups this week.

I think he will be better than most of the commenters (rockaction and MOP aside) AND he is the most cost effective replacement for Brees owners, which I am not (lol was one pick away from having Roethlisberger and Brees in the 13th rd)

Tougher to solve as a Big Ben owner - I don't think Mason Rudolph is terrible but he will have some struggles. Unlucky to have two owners in this league who were solo on QB both looking at the replacements this week. Going to try and find an alternate plan. Hell by later this week or next Daniel Jones might be an option. The top starting QB who are available do not have good matchups this week.
Dalton, Keenum, and Mariota should be on your short list if any of the are available...I worry Keenum will get pulled Week 8 even if Haskins is not ready to roll but they have to throw it with Guice out for 2 months. Dalton is on a team with a bad defense but can function playing pitch and catch, that's not a terrible combo in FF. They got blown out 41-17 this past week so Dalton won't get any love but they are going to throw 40-50 times a game. 

they are on the list MOP but I think my plan will get me a better situation and time to pull it off but you are correct esp on Red 

Teddy is a smart QB. He reads defenses well and can make anticipatory throws that usually are pretty accurate with good ball placement for the receiver to make a play after catching the ball.

It is still only potential however. Teddy has not become the QB I have seen glimpses of and I am not sure if he ever will.

As far as people saying that Teddy wasn't prepared to take over for Brees when he was injured, well that is his job. I am not really buying that. How he played shows how good his is and how ready he was to take over as the stater. Based on what people are saying. He didn't play very well.

Maybe a week of practice changes that. It doesn't hurt, but I still think he was prepared as he was going to be.

That Bridgewater did not want to take the starting job for the Dolphins (who would?) tells me that Teddy didn't believe in himself enough to think he could make an impact as the starter there. That he went back to the Saints suggests to me that he doesn't want to start. How else should I interpret that?

Maybe they told Teddy they planned to tank or he figured that out and that was a reason?

I dunno QB are supposed to be alpha type personalities who want to start no matter what. Teddy took the easy road going back to the Saints.

I could say that about a lot of QBs and I understand why you say that but is it not possible this guy looks better this coming Sunday after a full week of practice? 

He is going to have the keys to the kingdom and I don't believe New Orleans thinks they will lose going away with Teddy running the ship for a month or two. 

Is he a difference maker on bad teams? is he a franchise QB? Probably not however he will have plenty of weapons surrounding him and you put even an average QB in the right system and they will look great. 

I'm saying that maybe half the starting QBs on all 32 teams probably couldn't start for the other half but are products of their OC/HC and would look terrible in other organizations including the one that gets worshipped in your area 😉 
Yes, I think Teddy could do better with a full week of practice, but I have never been a fan of him as a QB. I haven't seen him a lot, but when I have he didn't make good decisions, he took too long to make reads, and he sort of looked like a deer in the headlights. So sure, maybe an average QB can look good in the right situation . . . but I am not sure Bridgewater is average. At least he hasn't been when I saw him play.

Speaking of guys taking over good situations, the Packers and Colts both had good situations when a starter went down in recent seasons and their replacements did not do much and the team didn't win anywhere near as much with a back up.

Teddy doesn't have enough passing attempts to qualify, but of all active QB's he would be ranked around 25th in terms of passer rating. Given that other younger players also don't qualify yet, he's probably Bottom 5 in the league.

Maybe he could do more with the skill players and coaches in New Orleans. But I can't get excited about someone who has played in 8 games in 4 years and had a 79.6 passer rating with a 5.4 ypa in that time. 

IMO, the Saints might be better off with Hill at QB, but I doubt they would use him as a starter. Hopefully for the Saints, Bridgewater is better than I think he is.

I'd prefer Hill as well, would love to see what Peyton would come up with if he was the starting QB. And of course, his FF upside would be even more exciting than Brees' was since Hill can run. But Teddy is probably better for the values of Thomas/Kamara.

I wish our fan base could be even 10% as confident as you. Bridgewater has looked so bad in New Orleans -- Week 17 last year, preseason this year, and now yesterday's game.

All I can say is ... he's got a lot to prove here. Whatever he did pre-injury ... that's ancient history now.

Teddy is probably about average from a talent perspective. But he’s very smart. His teammates love him. 

Im not sure what he can be now post-injury.  This is the best case situation for him though  

Teddy is probably about average from a talent perspective. But he’s very smart. His teammates love him
This is true -- by all accounts, a great guy both in the locker room and with fans.

So far, raw intelligence doesn't seem to correlate with fast information processing on the field. Maybe that will come.

I may have forgotten some other examples, but here were some teams that lost a starter to injury and had to play at least a month with a replacement . . .

2018 CIN Dalton (5-6), others 1-4
2015 DAL Romo (3-1), others 1-11
2017 GB Rodgers (4-3), others 3-6
2013 GB Rodgers (6-3), others 2-4-1
2017 HOU Watson (3-3), others 1-9
2011 IND Manning (10-6 prior season), others 2-14
2017 IND Luck (8-8 prior season), others 4-12
2015 PIT Roethisberger (7-4), others 3-2

Bottom line, not many teams have had great success with a back up taking over for a short term. Long term fill-ins generally haven't worked out so well.

Based on this description ... seems to have a lot in common with, say,  Chad Pennington. Good comparison?
Don’t remember his play too much. 

Teddy is accurate in short/intermediate throws. Struggled w/deep ball. Moved well in the pocket. Decent mobility. 

The Vikes OLine was bad his entire time and he didn’t have great talent at WR until Theilen/Diggs but he didn’t get much time with them. 

At one point he was described as a young Brees type player obviously before his injuries. 

Users who are viewing this thread