What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Kirk Cousins, ATL (9 Viewers)

If he demands to be the highest paid player in football, let him walk. But if they didn't want to pay him franchise QB money, they should have resigned him 2 years ago. He'd be a bargain by now. The Skins kept putting the guy off with the franchise tag and eventually you need to pay the piper. They bungled this up for two consecutive offseasons. Now, they can complete the screw-up and become another team winning 3 games every year until they get lucky with a quarterback, or bite the bullet and have to overpay some. 
Not sure why people keep saying the skins bungled it this past off season. Cousins clearly stated he was not willing to sign a long term deal last off season. Putting it on the skins front office seems to exhibit a lack of knowledge of the situation. Prior to that? Pile on all you want. But there was zero they could have done last year.

Not sure why people keep saying the skins bungled it this past off season. Cousins clearly stated he was not willing to sign a long term deal last off season. Putting it on the skins front office seems to exhibit a lack of knowledge of the situation. Prior to that? Pile on all you want. But there was zero they could have done last year.
Cousins said he wouldn't sign regardless of the offer made? Or had he already heard the Skins were going to try to lowball him? 

Cousins said he wouldn't sign regardless of the offer made? Or had he already heard the Skins were going to try to lowball him? 
The quote from Cousins was that he was not interested in signing a long term contract at the time. He made no mention of a dollar figure of any kind. May still be able to find it, I'm not sure.  The article came out during the regular season of I am remembering correctly.

With Palmer retiring, cards become a prime candidate. Depending on their new HC, could be a good fit.

I've always been and still am a huge Kirk Cousins supporter.   I think he's even better than even his fans realize.  This team is zippo without him.

That being said, for both parties it is time to move on.  Cousins isn't going to win a championship here if he gets the salary he wants.  And the Redskins aren't going to win anything paying him what he wants.  It's a lose/lose from a football perspective.

The Redskins will have to tag him and try to get some compensation, even if it isn't a lot.  There's some risk to that, as they may be stuck with his tagged salary for 1 more year if no trade can be worked out.  But really, what's the risk.  They just pay him more and once again are a 7 to 9 win team, then ditch him the next year.  However, I think a deal could be worked for a team that is a QB away even if what you get back is very small.  ARI, DEN, and JAX ... maybe PIT if Roth retires.. all should be interested.  Heck, one could even argue that a 0 win CLE has more talent on offense than the Skins.  CLE certainly has more talent on D.

Even if he's a perfect fit for the Gruden system, it's time for them to part ways IMO.

I can't see any reason this guy doesn't test the waters.  Lots of good situations out there - someone will pony up the $$.  Denver, Arizona, Jacksonville (?).  Hell, if I'm Cleveland I try and bring him in, draft Barkley #1 and the best WR at #4.

babydemon90 said:
I can't see any reason this guy doesn't test the waters.  Lots of good situations out there - someone will pony up the $$.  Denver, Arizona, Jacksonville (?).  Hell, if I'm Cleveland I try and bring him in, draft Barkley #1 and the best WR at #4.
No way he signs in Cleveland.... why would he?

He's going to be the hottest FA QB in a year that has an unprecedented number of teams searching for a new QB.  This guy could become the nfl's highest paid player on numerous teams, I doubt very much he goes to Cleveland.   

Denver, Arizona, Buffalo are my guesses in that order.  Wouldn't even rule out Jax moving on from Bortles.  Despite how he's been playing, its an upgrade and an incredible situation for Kirk to walk into.

No way he signs in Cleveland.... why would he?

He's going to be the hottest FA QB in a year that has an unprecedented number of teams searching for a new QB.  This guy could become the nfl's highest paid player on numerous teams, I doubt very much he goes to Cleveland.   

Denver, Arizona, Buffalo are my guesses in that order.  Wouldn't even rule out Jax moving on from Bortles.  Despite how he's been playing, its an upgrade and an incredible situation for Kirk to walk into.
Why - $$? But yea I doubt he would, that's why I said If I'm Cleveland, I "try"...

Depends what he wants. Denver (or Jax if they move on from Bortles) would seem the best scenario to get to the playoffs.  If he's more into getting the most $$ - Cleveland/Jets both need QB and have more cap room then they know what to do with.  why flounder in the "maybe" world of rookie QB's?

I'm watching the Eagles for the first time this year, and I wonder this about several QBs, Kirk at the top of them..

If Kirk Cousins had Torrey Smith, Alshon Jeffrey, Nelson Ahgolor, Zack Ertz, Brent Celek, Jay Ajayi, LeGarrett Blount  ????  I think he'a top 5 QB in the league.  The Skins literally had NO (that's zero) healthy position players as good as any of those 7 Eagles.

No wonder Wentz has great numbers.  He's surrounded by talent, and seems to have a ton himself.

I'm sure there are a couple other QBs that could be really successful but are stuck with GMs that are devoid of talent evaluation.  How in the world would Cousins not want out of DC?

I'm watching the Eagles for the first time this year, and I wonder this about several QBs, Kirk at the top of them..

If Kirk Cousins had Torrey Smith, Alshon Jeffrey, Nelson Ahgolor, Zack Ertz, Brent Celek, Jay Ajayi, LeGarrett Blount  ????  I think he'a top 5 QB in the league.  The Skins literally had NO (that's zero) healthy position players as good as any of those 7 Eagles.

No wonder Wentz has great numbers.  He's surrounded by talent, and seems to have a ton himself.

I'm sure there are a couple other QBs that could be really successful but are stuck with GMs that are devoid of talent evaluation.  How in the world would Cousins not want out of DC?
Well, Torrey Smith sucks but the rest are really solid. Ertz is a top TE. Definitely light years better than the trash in Washington.

Cousins lost his 2 starting WRs and replaced them with bums, his TE stood injured on the sidelines like he usually does. Cousins would do very well throwing to Demaryius Thomas and E. Sanders and new edition Jimmy Graham. ;) .

Agree in general but as an Eagles fan, I would have loved to have Chris Thompson.  Cousins' stats mostly fell apart when Thompson was lost.

He had Pierre Garcon, DeSean Jackson, Jason Reed, Jamison Crowder, and Chris Thompson last year and wasn't a top 5 QB.

Stop thinking of what Cousins needs to be a top 5 QB. He will never be one. He just may get paid like one.

He had Pierre Garcon, DeSean Jackson, Jason Reed, Jamison Crowder, and Chris Thompson last year and wasn't a top 5 QB.

Stop thinking of what Cousins needs to be a top 5 QB. He will never be one. He just may get paid like one.
Oh my, you are right.  He wasn't top 5 QBR in 2016.  He was #6.  Behind Ryan, Brady, Prescott, Rodgers, and Brees.  My bad.

FWIW, Garcon and Jackson were at #53 and #86 in receiving yards with their new teams. 

I think he'a top 5 QB in the league.

He wasn't top 5 QBR in 2016.  He was #6
There's a difference between top 5 QB, and top 5 QBR.

In 2016, with the best set of receivers he'll ever have, and the most QB-friendly HC, OC, and offense he'll ever have, he was 13th in TD passes. 14 QB's threw more INT's.  He racks up yardage and has a high QBR, but he doesn't carry a team and never will.

Your plan is neither bolded, colored, or enlarged.

I approve of this plan.

Except for the WR at #4 part.

I don't think there are any WR's worthy of tat high of a pick.

fatness said:

In 2016, with the best set of receivers he'll ever have, and the most QB-friendly HC, OC, and offense he'll ever have, he was 13th in TD passes. 14 QB's threw more INT's.  He racks up yardage and has a high QBR, but he doesn't carry a team and never will.
He doesn't need to be a top 5 quarterback to demand a ton of money.  Teams try for years and years to find a franchise quarterback. Ask the Browns or Jets how hard it is to have a good team without one.  Teams may not get lucky and find a Brady or Rodgers, but if they can get their hands on a Rivers, a guy they can count on to be consistent and top 10-15 QB for a decade, they will jump at the chance to overpay him.  Why do you think 10-15 guys like Dalton and Flacco make so much money? 

The Redskins blew it by not locking Cousins up two years ago. Now the price tag is too high. He is going to be a very wealthy guy very soon. Teams will be bidding against each other to lock him up.

Your plan is neither bolded, colored, or enlarged.

I approve of this plan.

Except for the WR at #4 part.

I don't think there are any WR's worthy of tat high of a pick.
plus sign 9 other good players with the 75 million in cap they will have left after signing cousins and also 6 of the top 65 picks. 

I approve the Browns adding 15 better players to the team along with a good QB

Hopefully if he walks it leads to the GM for the Skins getting fired after the 2018 season. Allen is terrible. The Skins need a GM who will tell Snyder to ##### Off. 

Also, not a fan of Gruden. 

fatness said:

Carry? Probably not, who knows whether he can in the future. But he doesn't have to be to give a good team a better chance. He's better than 3/4 of the championship games QBs. 

I wouldn't pay cousins personally.  I'd be happy picking up a keenum for half the cost and building a team around him.  As the article states, Cousins is a good qb, not elite by any stretch of the imagination.  Paying him elite money handicaps the team until he retires.

I wouldn't pay cousins personally.  I'd be happy picking up a keenum for half the cost and building a team around him.  As the article states, Cousins is a good qb, not elite by any stretch of the imagination.  Paying him elite money handicaps the team until he retires.
Keenum? Are you ready to concede the division to the Eagles for the next 3 years? :lmao:

By saying “a Keenum” what exactly does that mean? Assume the actual Keenum isn’t available, who do you see as someone similar? I see Cousins as I do a decent head coach that everyone wants the team to fire. Odds are high, the replacement isn’t going to be as good. 

By saying “a Keenum” what exactly does that mean? Assume the actual Keenum isn’t available, who do you see as someone similar? I see Cousins as I do a decent head coach that everyone wants the team to fire. Odds are high, the replacement isn’t going to be as good. 

I see paying Cousins like Baltimore paying Flacco.  I'm not sure too many people look back on that deal and say that was money well spent.  

By a Keenum I just mean that sort of middle of the road qb who is just good enough.  Fitzpatrick is another guy.  Maybe Bortles 

And your right, he may not be as good, the key (as the article points out) is to make the team better

Last edited by a moderator:
I see paying Cousins like Baltimore paying Flacco.  I'm not sure too many people look back on that deal and say that was money well spent.  

By a Keenum I just mean that sort of middle of the road qb who is just good enough.  Fitzpatrick is another guy.  

And your right, he may not be as good, the key (as the article points out) is to make the team better
Fair enough. I just think the amount middle of the road guys that make a team better are pretty hard to come by. 

Fair enough. I just think the amount middle of the road guys that make a team better are pretty hard to come by. 
I don't disagree and I don't have all the answers.  My gut just tells me paying cousins is like paying Flacco.  Something you will regret in the long run

Flacco has been mediocre since he got paid but he does have a Super Bowl Ring.  Brees got his big payday after the SuperBowl. Brady earned his deals as did the Mannings.

Cousins will be like Stafford...big paydays..no rings.

By a Keenum I just mean that sort of middle of the road qb who is just good enough.  Fitzpatrick is another guy.  Maybe Bortles 

:goodposting:

flacco got paid after that superbowl, but he is very pedestrian. I think Cousins upside is much higher than Flaccos, imagine Kirk in Jax or Denver.. either one of those team should break the bank IMO. 

Flacco has been mediocre since he got paid but he does have a Super Bowl Ring.  Brees got his big payday after the SuperBowl. Brady earned his deals as did the Mannings.

Cousins will be like Stafford...big paydays..no rings.
Yeah I agree I wouldn't pay that much for a guy who went 10 years in a 1 on 1 game without winning anything.  Maybe one day they'll turn this into a team game where you need a bunch of good players to win.

Flacco mediocre :lmao: :lmao: .  That's an insult to the word mediocre.

NFL top 5 in YPA the last 3 years.

1) Ryan 8.1
2) Brady 7.8
3) Brees 7.8
4) Roethlisberger 7.8
5) Cousins 7.8

NFL top 5 in QB rating the last 3 years

1) Brady 107.8
2) Brees 102.0
3) Ryan 100.9
4) Cousins 99.7
5) Rodgers 99.3

Look at all the other names in those lists that are in the same tier as him, statistically.  The way people are talking about Cousins in this thread is surprising. 

His career QB rating is the 6th best in NFL history.

Last edited by a moderator:
After the Redskins' acquisition of Alex Smith on Tuesday night, free agent Kirk Cousins is fully expected to hit the open market when the new league year opens March 14.

Washington wasn't going to use the franchise tag on Cousins for the third straight year and be on the hook for a guaranteed $34 million, and signs had begun to point to Cousins leaving D.C. with no interest in a long-term deal from his side of things. Thus, the trade for Smith. Cousins' market figures to be absolutely robust as the best free agent quarterback to hit the open market in years. Expect plenty of teams to be in the running, including the Jets, Cardinals, Jaguars, Browns, Bills, Broncos, Vikings, and whoever else. It's likely Cousins will reset the quarterback market as the highest-paid player at the position when all is said and done.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

Jan 30 - 9:49 PM

If he want's his best chance at a Super Bowl, he'll sign with Jax (best D and run game). Otherwise, he's just chasing the money.
He should be chasing the money. Washington put his career on hold year after year so that he had no long term security. This could well be his only chance at a long term contract.  I bet he won't necessarily go the highest bidder, but he's not going to settle for much less than his market value to play on Jacksonville. Also, I think Denver could be right back in contention with Cousins at the helm. They still have a great defense and solid receivers. 

He should be chasing the money. Washington put his career on hold year after year so that he had no long term security. This could well be his only chance at a long term contract. 
In some ways Washington (albeit not on purpose) actually did him a favor, They paid him over $40MM for the last two seasons and he can still now go out and get a big contract. Even if he "only" gets the $71MM guaranteed that Alex Smith just got - that plus what he's already banked isn't too shabby.

Users who are viewing this thread