What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Grilling and Smoking Thread*** (6 Viewers)

The wife and kids are thinking about getting me a Traeger for Xmas this year, so it's possible I'll be much more involved in this thread in the near future. How big of a grill do we need for a family of five that can go down to 2-3 depending on who's home but go up to 10-12+ depending on in-laws? I've heard from some (mostly just a couple buddies who got one) to the skip the Tailgater and go up to the Pro Series 22 - is this true? Also, my deck can get windy at times, which has caused the gas grill to go out plenty - will this be an issue? 

If I get this I plan on smoking through the MN winter, so I'll be looking for plenty of advice and recipes (there are plenty already on here, which is sweet). Since this would be the most expensive grill I've ever had, I'll take recommendations for any accessories, and I assume I should get a grill cover to protect it? 

I have one of those!  Love it for cooking turkey.  No oil so less danger, also doesn't take all that long, if I remember right about 12.5min/pound.  And no long warm up time like with oil fryers.
13.3lbs, about 10/min per lb is the recommendation and it worked out to just about that based on the thermometer. Took about 2 1/2 hrs because wife neglected to thaw the bird properly so I left it on a little longer. The only thing I have a problem with is the skin. It drys out and is a ##### to cut but the bird itself was tender and moist throughout. One of the better turkeys I've had.

13.3lbs, about 10/min per lb is the recommendation and it worked out to just about that based on the thermometer. Took about 2 1/2 hrs because wife neglected to thaw the bird properly so I left it on a little longer. The only thing I have a problem with is the skin. It drys out and is a ##### to cut but the bird itself was tender and moist throughout. One of the better turkeys I've had.
10/min per lb seems more reasonable (I usually google it before turkey day, and I use a probe thermometer).  I've never had a problem with the skin being too dry on the larger part of the bird.  Its the wings and parts of the drumsticks where the skin can get a little dry.

I'm taking over the turkey prep in my house. My wife and mother in law usually does it, but they always buy a small effing turkey, so there are never any leftovers. So I bought a fresh 20 pound, never frozen, no additives or preservatives turkey from my local meat market. I pick it up next week. I'm only feeding 10 people, of which 3 are kids, so I should be solid for leftovers.  :headbang:

So, any links to your Turkey Brine recipes would be most appreciated. I checked out a couple of the articles at @TheFanatic's website, so that was a good start.

Thanks in advance on any help you all can provide. 

phowler13 said:
My remote meat thermometer just died. What are people using these days. I know the maverick has gotten a lot of talk in here, what about the i-grill, or other?  Need two probes. Thnx again guys. 
I also have a Maverick and one of my probes died. I bought this two pack off of eBay and they work great. $24 for both and each is 6ft long.  :thumbup:

Has anyone purchased meat online? I was looking at places like Snake River Farms and Crowd Cow. The American Kobe from SRF looks pretty interesting.

I'm curious if others have tried one of these two or an other option. What did you purchase and was it worth it?

phowler13 said:
My remote meat thermometer just died. What are people using these days. I know the maverick has gotten a lot of talk in here, what about the i-grill, or other?  Need two probes. Thnx again guys. 

heckmanm said:
Next one I get will be the Meater I think.  Scan back a couple pages for @TheFanatic's writeup.

Hawks64 said:
I have what used to be the iDevices iGrill, now owned by Weber. They f'd the app up horribly. Next up will be the Meater.  4 probes with the wifi block.
Talked to the Meater folks a week or so ago. The new WiFi Block is slated to debut Q2 of next year. I'm going to be beta testing the Block so I should have some inside info ahead of the release date and as we get closer to the actual release, I will know when it will be hitting the market. 

The wife and kids are thinking about getting me a Traeger for Xmas this year, so it's possible I'll be much more involved in this thread in the near future. How big of a grill do we need for a family of five that can go down to 2-3 depending on who's home but go up to 10-12+ depending on in-laws? I've heard from some (mostly just a couple buddies who got one) to the skip the Tailgater and go up to the Pro Series 22 - is this true? Also, my deck can get windy at times, which has caused the gas grill to go out plenty - will this be an issue? 

If I get this I plan on smoking through the MN winter, so I'll be looking for plenty of advice and recipes (there are plenty already on here, which is sweet). Since this would be the most expensive grill I've ever had, I'll take recommendations for any accessories, and I assume I should get a grill cover to protect it? 
Yeah, if it is uncovered, you need a grill cover. If water gets into the hopper, it will turn the pellets into concrete essentially and you will have to take out the entire hopper/augur unit and chip that stuff out. 

I've never used the 22, so I don't know exactly how much space there is. I have the 34 and it has plenty of space for 10-15. I put a 20 lb spatchcocked turkey on it last year and had room for a ham and the upper rack if I needed it (I took the upper rack out just to make it easier to get to my bird and my ham). 

Has anyone purchased meat online? I was looking at places like Snake River Farms and Crowd Cow. The American Kobe from SRF looks pretty interesting.

I'm curious if others have tried one of these two or an other option. What did you purchase and was it worth it?
I have talked to both of them, but never actually ordered from them. Trying to get them to sponsor me. The Crowd Cow people are REAL proud that Joe Montana is an investor. Other than that, I got nothing. I do know that SRF tore it up at the Royal, including the GC thanking SRF with their first comment as they accepted the trophy. 

I have the 22. You should be good with that size grill. Lots of room, no upper deck though. I suppose there is a place for the tailgater but its like a little kids grill.

Side note, my company had one of these dropped off for demo last week out of the blue. Pretty neat setup for all you hardcore tailgaters out there, only $7k :loco:

ChiefD said:
I'm taking over the turkey prep in my house. My wife and mother in law usually does it, but they always buy a small effing turkey, so there are never any leftovers. So I bought a fresh 20 pound, never frozen, no additives or preservatives turkey from my local meat market. I pick it up next week. I'm only feeding 10 people, of which 3 are kids, so I should be solid for leftovers.  :headbang:

So, any links to your Turkey Brine recipes would be most appreciated. I checked out a couple of the articles at @TheFanatic's website, so that was a good start.

Thanks in advance on any help you all can provide. 
Dry-brining seems to be all the rage. Google it. 

My advise is to keep a bag of ice on the breast until right before you put it in the smoker. The key to a successful turkey is to keep the white meat from drying out before the dark meat is cooked.

Also, be sure to put a foil pan under the bird to catch the drippings for the gravy. MMmmm, smoked turkey gravy.  :homer:  

I also have a Maverick and one of my probes died. I bought this two pack off of eBay and they work great. $24 for both and each is 6ft long.  :thumbup:
Got a link? I normally keep my probes in the smoker (thru a gasket in the side); it might be nice to have a spare set to use the Maverick for indoor use without having to go uncover the smoker.

I have the 22. You should be good with that size grill. Lots of room, no upper deck though. I suppose there is a place for the tailgater but its like a little kids grill.

Side note, my company had one of these dropped off for demo last week out of the blue. Pretty neat setup for all you hardcore tailgaters out there, only $7k :loco:
That's impressive! And I don't say that about a grill very often!

My results from my pig candy and pork belly that didn't turn in to pig candy but good nonetheless. @TheFanaticwas dead on the money about the pork belly. The results were different than bacon. It didn't harden like I thought. It did turn out pretty good though. I pulled it off the weber @170°.

Pork belly

After the advice from the Fanatic I decided to do some bacon as well and it turned out on point. The cayenne pepper really made it. I may have to put some of this on ice cream or cinnamon rolls. 

Candied Bacon

Here's a couple of other pics to add. 

Prepped

On the grill

Chicken and scallops

i ended up buying a rec tec vs the traeger.....super happy with it....

Thanks, looking forward to it. Anyone with a WSM have any mods or add-ons they recommend? Thought I read the rib rack wasn't worth it.

I've been lurking for awhile and picked up pork shoulder was the first one up. Should go great with those fries. :) (Side note, picked up a french fry maker (big cast iron one) on the cheap. Makes a HUGE difference. worth the investment). One neighbor is still raving about the ones from 4th of July when I tried your recipe for the first time.

It's the whole, how much charcoal, lump or briquettes (I know it matters but how much), how much wood and when to add, open vents equals hotter and quicker burn, but dialing in how much each plays in. What about the top vent, when to add more fuel (temp drops 2 degrees, or 5 or 10). 

All things I will learn,  just looking for soem guide posts, and the your a dumb@$$ if you... lists.
Have the 22 for about 10 years now...never done anything to it.  Works like a champ.  You'll learn, with time, what to do in your area, but to start, you fill the charcoal ring with charcoal, fill about a third of a charcoal starter with briquettes, get them good and hot and dump them on top of the unlit ones.  I'd start with a full water pan the first time and just have fun with it trying to figure it out as you go :thumbup:   Oh, and don't forget the beer.

I received an email this morning from SRF that they are having a BOGO on a few items. Since I'm curious this seemed like a good idea to try them out. I bought two each of Bacon-Wrapped Filet Mignon & Kurobuta Spare Ribs (bought one of each and got the other free). They are due to arrive 11/30 and I'll report back the following week. 

Trying something new this weekend.  Pork Cheeks.  I figure the best part of whole hog is cheek so why not try them by themselves?  So I picked up 20 pounds yesterday and I'm going to give it a go.  Plan to brine them in a 1:1:1 brine for 36 hours, rinse them and rub with Memphis Dust then smoke over oak until they reach roughly the texture of spare ribs.  Thinking 6+/- hours.

Anyone ever cook these before?  Any suggestions?

I haven’t but look forward to pics.

i have been thinking of going the other direction and smoking beef cheeks.  Not sure how though.

Been mulling what to throw on the BGE, in addition to two oven-cooked turkeys. This spiral ham might be the answer.
dude i totally have been meaning to do a ham.  I was going to do tri tip for thanksgiving to compliment the turkey but....... i might have to do a ham. 

Any recs on types of ham to buy and smoke?  pre cooked right?  Do i want to avoid ones that have already been smoked and/or brined?

ham on the pbc and turkey on the pellet grill....exciting week 

did some bacon on the pellet this morning....loved it...

Doing “Juicy Lucys” tonight — burgers stuffed with big hunks of good sharp cheddar. Really hoping that they don’t explode or even leak on the grill and get melted / burnt cheese everywhere.

Pork Cheeks are on the smoker.  20#'s of these suckers take a lot of time to clean.  In the interest of time I didn't get off the silver skin like I wanted to and I had to cram them way too tight on the smoker but so far looking good.

http://tinypic.com/r/5n3nzc/9

http://tinypic.com/r/2na3fk7/9
Yikes, with my butchering skills, there would’ve been about 10 lbs of meat wasted trying to get that silver skin off. How’d they turn out? Love to see a finished pic. 

Kinda new to the whole smoking thing so indulge my stupidity. Threw some chicken breasts on the Traeger and used mesquite instead of hickory. What a difference, it was subtle but delicious. Loved the flavor the mesquite added.

Why have you guys not told me this before?  :D

Kinda new to the whole smoking thing so indulge my stupidity. Threw some chicken breasts on the Traeger and used mesquite instead of hickory. What a difference, it was subtle but delicious. Loved the flavor the mesquite added.

Why have you guys not told me this before?  :D
TBH I wouldn't use either for chicken, way too strong of a smoke for such a light flavor meat IMO. I like light fruit woods or maybe pecan for chicken. Glad you enjoyed both hickory and mesquite though!

Alright fellas, wife just asked me if I could smoke this 8lb boneless pork loin? I searched the thread but didn’t come up with anything. Any pointers or direction is greatly appreciated!

Alright fellas, wife just asked me if I could smoke this 8lb boneless pork loin? I searched the thread but didn’t come up with anything. Any pointers or direction is greatly appreciated!
Rub it down, smoke it somewhere between 225 and 275 (smoker temp) with fruit or oak/hickory wood...  use a probe for meat temp and pull it at around 195 degrees.  Wrap in butcher paper or foil and let it rest for one hour (I use an empty cooler for this part).

Rub it down, smoke it somewhere between 225 and 275 (smoker temp) with fruit or oak/hickory wood...  use a probe for meat temp and pull it at around 195 degrees.  Wrap in butcher paper or foil and let it rest for one hour (I use an empty cooler for this part).
Cool, two questions:

1. Do you brine it?

2. 195 degrees? I also googled and thought I saw 145 degrees.

I would roast it on medium high rather than smoking it low/slow. Salt/Pepper, maybe a bit of leftover rub if you got some. If your loin has skinny ends, tie them up so you have a uniform hunk 'o pork.  Brown all sides over direct heat, turning, about 2-3 minutes per side, 10 total.  Then finish it indirect until it gets to about 145 or so - tent it and let it rest while you get things ready, then slice.

If you put a hunk of apple or similar wood on the coals, you'll get a good smoke flavor, but it will pick up a fair bit of smokiness from your lump whether or not you add wood.

Beef Ravioli said:
Coat liberally with salt and rub. Smoke till it hits about 130, then sear the crap out of it all the way around (Called the reverse sear). Pull it once it is seared all the way around and in between 145 and 160. 

Made Smoked Bloody Mary's for a gameday brunch I went to on Sunday.

Drink:

• Smoked 15 mid/large sized Roma tomatoes at 225 for ~1.5 hours, peeled then blended in a vitamix. 
  • Worcestershire (8 tbs)
  • Fresh grated horseradish (I'd estimate 1/4 cup... not sure though)
  • Tomato juice (8 cups)
  • Home made hotsauce  (to taste but I think I probably put in 1/2 cup or so)
  • Smoked ice (I was skeptical at first, but it was very good.)
  • Your favorite Vodka
Garnish:

• Had a buddy bring cold smoked pepperjack, cheddar, and some white cheese I couldn't pronounce or spell to save my life.
  • Smoked bacon stir stick
  • Goat cheese stuffed olives
  • Shrimp
  • Bacon salt
  • Lemon wedges
I'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to spice so I left it more mild that most probably like but we had extra horseradish/hot sauce for those that wanted some heat.

It was a lot of work for what turned out to be 12 drinks but the result was phenomenal.  The smoked ice was super good in an Old Fashion that afternoon as well.  10/10, would do again.

Last edited by a moderator:
So the pork cheeks were a big hit.  Here's what I learned.

The small side of the cheek will take about 5-6 hours to reach peak tenderness.  This is the side with the great marbling.  The large side will take closer to 8 hours.  Both sides wind up with a collagen-ey unctuousness that is very similar to a beef rib. But the slightly sweet Memphis Dust rub creates a sticky sweet bark on the outside that is the perfect counterpunch to the richness of the meat.  These things pack a ton of flavor for sure. I heard multiple times that they were like mini-briskets.

http://tinypic.com/r/34yppp0/9 

Users who are viewing this thread