What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Martavis Bryant (1 Viewer)

If I were the Steelers I'd offer raiders Ryan Switzer for a 3rd round pick. Quick.

And if I were Dez Bryant's agent.....
I have been a Switzer truther since he was a rookie. However, it appears that the Raiders were singularly unimpressed with Switzer, or they wouldn't have let him go - so I doubt they would do any deal (even as inept as they are).

I have been a Switzer truther since he was a rookie. However, it appears that the Raiders were singularly unimpressed with Switzer, or they wouldn't have let him go - so I doubt they would do any deal (even as inept as they are).
They were even less impressed with Bryant a week or two ago.

The last week and a half has been brutal for us Raiders fans.

Feeling like the Al years all over again.

DocHolliday said:
Bryant should be the WR1 for the Raiders.   He doesn't have much competition.   Of course, there is the Carr problem in Oakland.  
I thought it was being reported that he wasn't picking up the playbook though. 

I thought it was being reported that he wasn't picking up the playbook though. 
I was being snarky due to the lack of talent at WR for the Raiders.  Maybe it is Carr not taking shots and just relying on TE and RB in week 1.  The Rams are a great D though so I should just be quiet and see how the season unfolds for a couple more weeks.   

I was being snarky due to the lack of talent at WR for the Raiders.  Maybe it is Carr not taking shots and just relying on TE and RB in week 1.  The Rams are a great D though so I should just be quiet and see how the season unfolds for a couple more weeks.   
For all we know, the Rams could have the best defense in the NFC

While I doubt Bryant provides FF opportunity, I do think his skill set as a field stretching burner and talented receiver will actually help Cooper and Jordy in softening up coverage, adding an additional threat that the Raiders current 3rd WR, Seth Roberts, doesn't exactly do. 

I like Roberts, he seems to make and convert tough 3rd down catches, but he always seemed like JAG. Bryant has tons to prove yet, but I think he's the kind of WR that DCs need to be aware of, unlike Roberts, and as a result, coverage and his ability to take the top off could indeed open up some of the field for Carr and the Raiders WRs.

While I doubt Bryant provides FF opportunity, I do think his skill set as a field stretching burner and talented receiver will actually help Cooper and Jordy in softening up coverage, adding an additional threat that the Raiders current 3rd WR, Seth Roberts, doesn't exactly do. 

I like Roberts, he seems to make and convert tough 3rd down catches, but he always seemed like JAG. Bryant has tons to prove yet, but I think he's the kind of WR that DCs need to be aware of, unlike Roberts, and as a result, coverage and his ability to take the top off could indeed open up some of the field for Carr and the Raiders WRs.
I'm a big fan of cutting a guy and bringing him back a week later schtick.

Think he scores a Touchdown. Some weird sports psychology vibes going on.

I bet Gruden speaks Carny.

Last edited by a moderator:
Too bad the Raiders didn't trade for Josh Gordon as well. They would have easily been the highest ranked WRs tandem on the field and would have made great room mates as well with their similar interests, probably pushing each other to even greater heights. Al Davis, are you listening up there? Make it happen.  :excited:

Too bad the Raiders didn't trade for Josh Gordon as well. They would have easily been the highest ranked WRs tandem on the field and would have made great room mates as well with their similar interests, probably pushing each other to even greater heights. Al Davis, are you listening up there? Make it happen.  :excited:
Those guys would be beasts in the green zone 

Anyone picking him up just in case?  Considering dropping Sutton wr DEN in a short bench league.  At least he knows the playbook.  How much we shall see.

Any more updated re the suspension? 

Gordon already has Callaway. He is probably already on the highest ranked WR team. No need to move.

Bryant resigning is at a lot cheaper deal so truthfully makes sense to take the chance again. If he is suspended won't cost much.

So wouldn't we know by now if he was going to be suspended?  I thought those kinds of decisions had to be made by week 1.  Maybe I'm wrong about that. 

Bryant was cut only 12 days ago or so; no conditioning issues and if he's not up to spec on the full playbook all they need to do is have him run his Pittsburgh routes; those (annoying) deep out or Go routes he ran that stretched out the safety and opened up the underneath. Cooper and Nelson should see an immediate benefit.

I don't know what Bryant's contract looked like, or if he is even eligible for the "contract fully guaranteed because you are a veteran" deal, but cutting and resigning him seems like the smartest thing the Raiders have done since Gruden arrived. 

I don't know what Bryant's contract looked like, or if he is even eligible for the "contract fully guaranteed because you are a veteran" deal, but cutting and resigning him seems like the smartest thing the Raiders have done since Gruden arrived. 
Yep, basically the minute a GM has an excuse teams should do this. DUI in training camp? Cut and re-sign. Domestic incident at a charity function? Cut and re-sign. Put mustard on your hot dog instead of ketchup during team Fan Fest? OH YOU BETTER BELIEVE THAT'S A CUT AND RE-SIGN.

NEWS:

Speaking Thursday, Martavis Bryant declined comment on reports that he is facing another suspension.

Advice: "I don’t know nothing about none of that," Bryant said. It's hardly a denial that something is/was brewing. 

Props to Bryant for managing to get in a triple negative in only an 8 word sentence. A double negative would have clearly shown that he knows something about that suspension, but clearly he knows nothing.  :thumbup:

The news also go it wrong as he clearly did comment claiming he knows nothing about the suspension:no:

NEWS:

Speaking Thursday, Martavis Bryant declined comment on reports that he is facing another suspension.

Advice: "I don’t know nothing about none of that," Bryant said. It's hardly a denial that something is/was brewing. 

Props to Bryant for managing to get in a triple negative in only an 8 word sentence. A double negative would have clearly shown that he knows something about that suspension, but clearly he knows nothing.  :thumbup:

The news also go it wrong as he clearly did comment claiming he knows nothing about the suspension:no:
"Inconveivable!"

Per Schefty

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Martavis Bryant has indeed been given another year-long suspension, but that the NFL is allowing him to play while it is on appeal.

There had been confusion about whether Bryant was actually facing another suspension, but the circumstantial evidence was long overwhelming. Per Schefter, Bryant is "confident that he has a chance to win the appeal." It will be heard in the "next couple of weeks." The desperate Raiders are going to trot Bryant out there when/until his ban is upheld. A player with Bryant's history has little shot of getting the benefit of the doubt.

Has there been anything reported about what his appeal is based on and what he's accused of?  I can't find anything.

Supposedly his team is confident he has a chance to win the appeal, which in part led to the Raiders bringing him back until it's decided, but that might just be standard lawyer talk.

Has there been anything reported about what his appeal is based on and what he's accused of?  I can't find anything.

Supposedly his team is confident he has a chance to win the appeal, which in part led to the Raiders bringing him back until it's decided, but that might just be standard lawyer talk.
He didn't inhale 

Any chance he had at winning the appeal went out the window when he re-signed with the Raiders.
See I thought the exact opposite.  Do the Raiders bring him back and give him snaps in the offense if it's likely he'll be suspended in a few weeks?  Or are they more likely to do that if they agree his case for appeal is strong enough that he'll win?  I have no idea.  Just wondered if anything was reported that I missed.

Martavis Bryant hauled in all three of his targets for a team-high 91 yards in the Raiders' Week 5 loss to the Chargers.

In just his fourth game with the team, Bryant led the Raiders with 91 receiving yards. A majority of his production admittedly came in the fourth quarter with his team trailing late. Bryant has stayed involved as an over-the-top burner, though, averaging an outstanding 16.8 yards per catch. If involved more down the road, you don't have to squint to spot a legitimate path in which he overtakes Cooper as the team's No. 1 receiver. He's on a FLEX-deemable pace of 45-757 this season.

Oct 7 - 9:26 PM

My guess is that Bryant becomes their #1. He's fully capable from a talent perspective, and I think his ceiling is higher than Coopers. Should be interesting.
You have a lot more faith in Bryant than I do.   Bryant doesn't seem interested in being a WR in the NFL.  

Martavis Bryant wasn’t targeted Sunday in Oakland’s Week 8 loss to Indianapolis.
The Raiders talked up Bryant throughout the week, hinting that he'd play a bigger role following Amari Cooper's trade to the Cowboys. So naturally he wound up playing just seven snaps. The Raiders ignored Bryant on Sunday and fantasy owners would be wise to do the same Thursday against San Francisco.
Oct 28 - 9:05 PM
I already knew he was going to be a bit of a high risk play this week. Low floor high ceiling and all that jazz. But never in a million years expected his floor to be no targets and only seven snaps. Just from vaguely following this guy's career over the years I wouldn't be suprised if this was some sort of disciplinary thing. Late to a team meeting? Missing curfew? Etc. Whatever it is I'm guessing Gruden is keeping it in house but it'll be intetesting to see if anything leaks out in the coming week.

Martavis Bryant (knee) was suspended from the league indefinitely.

This is the soon-to-be 27-year-old's third ban under the league's substance abuse policy. Having lost his long-running appeal, Bryant is suspended from all league activity indefinitely. It's likely he's played his last down of professional football. Bryant will be an indefinite free agent at the end of the season.

Source: Jerry McDonald on Twitter 

Dec 14 - 4:12 PM

Martavis Bryant (knee) was suspended from the league indefinitely.

This is the soon-to-be 27-year-old's third ban under the league's substance abuse policy. Having lost his long-running appeal, Bryant is suspended from all league activity indefinitely. It's likely he's played his last down of professional football. Bryant will be an indefinite free agent at the end of the season.

Source: Jerry McDonald on Twitter 

Dec 14 - 4:12 PM
Yep, that's pretty much it for Bryant.  Hope he saved his money.

NFL.com's Tom Pelissero reports suspended WR Martavis Bryant could be reinstated before the start of training camp.

Pelissero reports the same is true for Josh Gordon, something Ian Rapoport hinted at on Super Bowl Sunday. Per Pelissero, the NFLPA could have the ball moving on reinstatement by May. All of this is contingent on Bryant and Gordon having no more slip ups.

Source: Tom Pelissero on Twitter 

Feb 7 - 5:10 PM

NFL.com's Tom Pelissero reports suspended WR Martavis Bryant could be reinstated before the start of training camp.

Pelissero reports the same is true for Josh Gordon, something Ian Rapoport hinted at on Super Bowl Sunday. Per Pelissero, the NFLPA could have the ball moving on reinstatement by May. All of this is contingent on Bryant and Gordon having no more slip ups.

Source: Tom Pelissero on Twitter 

Feb 7 - 5:10 PM
That is not a bet that I would like to take

That is not a bet that I would like to take
Gordon’s slips seem to be when the pressure is building. Last year it was right before the Brown’s season started. This year it was as New England was approaching the playoffs. I could see him getting reinstated again but he is not someone I would want to rely on from a team perspective. 

Users who are viewing this thread