What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] Todd Gurley (9 Viewers)

Well if this guy was the next best thing then he should be able to overcome 8 man boxes and no passing game. Peterson did it his rookie year. I guess it's not fair to compare Gurley to one of the greatest of all time though.
Would you say the current patchwork assembly of a line is comparable to what Adrian Peterson ran behind his rookie year? Serious question. I will hang up and listen.

Well if this guy was the next best thing then he should be able to overcome 8 man boxes and no passing game. Peterson did it his rookie year. I guess it's not fair to compare Gurley to one of the greatest of all time though.
Would you say the current patchwork assembly of a line is comparable to what Adrian Peterson ran behind his rookie year? Serious question. I will hang up and listen.
It's significantly worse as is just about the entire offense. Yet, Gurley is still averaging nearly 5 YPA.

I honestly don't know, as I get to watch zero Rams games. He seemed to not be having problems earlier this year, so I assumed the line was decent enough?

I honestly don't know, as I get to watch zero Rams games. He seemed to not be having problems earlier this year, so I assumed the line was decent enough?
So you make a statement without even watching the games? No need to bash Gurley b/c of AD.

The Rams offensive line is worse than the current Vikings offensive line which is not good. So I would say they are pretty bad. Possibly the worst offensive line in the league.

The problem with having a bad offensive line is that it usually takes time for rookie linemen to really contribute and good free agents are rarely let go in free agency. It can take years to develop.

The Vikings when Peterson was a rookie had Matt Birk in his prime, Steve Hutchinson who was an amazingly good guard they got from Seattle. McKinney at LT. They were pretty stacked at offensive line. Peterson had to share carries with Chester Taylor who had done pretty well behind this offensive line the year before Peterson arrived.

Seriously, who would you draft before Gurley???

Why is his ability being in question? His owners will have the last laugh, the writing is on the wall.

Tex

I also know that two or three OL starters are down. Gurley is not running behind the same line he was when he experienced early success. That is a big reason why they havent been effective lately.

Rookie wall?
No just a wall of defenders on every play since the Rams passing game isn't scaring anyone at all.
This passing game is pitiful. I cant believe this is the same Nick Foles that once threw 7 td passes. He can barely get the ball to the sideline on a 7 yard out. I can't believe that there isn't a QB off the street that wouldnt be better. The defender can just let the receiver go after a certain amount of time because there is just simply no way he can get the ball down the field.

How is this even possible?

So, um, what is it going to take for Gurley to get right again? Any of that o-line due back soon? Opposing D doesn't look any easier next week. :|

So, um, what is it going to take for Gurley to get right again? Any of that o-line due back soon? Opposing D doesn't look any easier next week. :|
Play crappier teams like he did earlier on when he was in beastmode would help.

He did get 149 against Arizona in week 4 so there is some hope? Detroit next week.

Even that week 14 Detroit matchup is no longer looking as favorable.

In my redraft league I drank the kool aid despite my brain telling me it would be impossible to sustain production in this one dimensional offense. I guess you keep starting him hoping for one big run or a td

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I'm going to bench him ROS. I have Deangelo and Martin. This makes me very sad: I thought he would beast the whole season. He'll probably make me regret it.

Even on this terrible team Gurley should be a lock for double-digit points in PPR every week. 50-60 yards rushing and 2-3 catches for 20-25 yards should not be asking for too much given his talent. So even if he doesn't get a TD he shouldn't absolutely kill you if he's hitting those numbers. So I'm hoping yesterday will prove to be an outlier when the season is done but it sure was painful to watch.

Even on this terrible team Gurley should be a lock for double-digit points in PPR every week. 50-60 yards rushing and 2-3 catches for 20-25 yards should not be asking for too much given his talent. So even if he doesn't get a TD he shouldn't absolutely kill you if he's hitting those numbers. So I'm hoping yesterday will prove to be an outlier when the season is done but it sure was painful to watch.
I was pretty bummed to see how much Tre was used in the passing game. Give those touches to Gurley and his day would have improved to acceptable.

Andrew74 said:
I think I'm going to bench him ROS. I have Deangelo and Martin. This makes me very sad: I thought he would beast the whole season. He'll probably make me regret it.
I'm starting him with DeAngelo this week. I have a bye week locked up and about a 48 point lead for the #1 seed, so it's low risk.

Week 15 & 16 - hard to say. My plan B is JStew, plan C is to only start one RB and Flex Diggs. After his first four starts I thought he would be the cornerstone of a playoff run, now I'm not sure he'll be in the lineup. Things change fast in the Not For Long.

I was pretty bummed to see how much Tre was used in the passing game. Give those touches to Gurley and his day would have improved to acceptable.
i was watching the game begging the Rams to throw him the ball since the Bengals were loading up to stop him in the running game and they wouldn't. Then Mason comes in and all they do is throw to him. Sometimes I really do hate this game.

I went back to Gurley in DFS this week thinking his ownership would be down and if he hit on another big game I'd be that much ahead of the pack. Gotta think his ownership is even lower next week so I'll probably do it again in a lineup.

Offensive snaps for RB against the Bengals:

T Gurley RB 29 40%

B Cunningham RB 24 33%

T Mason RB 20 27%
These were the two disconcerting aspects going forward in PPR. I don't mind the stinker, especially since it didn't cost me, but if he's splitting carries and not getting the receptions going forward, he is going to be dangerous to use in the playoffs. My plan with my first-round bye is to start him in W15 but bench him in the championship game if my other guys are healthy. Disappointing to bench what you thought was your top guy midseason when it's all on the line.

Fantasy Sports Radio ‏@SiriusXMFantasy

.@roddywhiteTV feels bad for Todd Gurley (@TG3II) because they are stacking 9 guys in the box against the #Rams.

Around The NFL ‏@AroundTheNFL

Next Gen Stats notebook: Todd Gurley still a star despite his recent vanishing act

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000592389/article/next-gen-stats-notebook-todd-gurleys-vanishing-act?campaign=Twitter_atn

He works as hard on days when nobody's watching as on game days when everybody's watching." -Jamon Brown on Todd Gurley

[SIZE=12pt]Why Todd Gurley's Current Struggles Make Sense[/SIZE]

The offense around Gurley is one of the worst in the league and Gurley is the only thing defenses really need to focus on stopping. He is being set up to fail in this situation.

I don't understand why they split snaps between the 3 RB against the Bengals. This made me worry that perhaps Gurley has been hurt? I googled but did not see any news about him having an injury. I get that they were trying to pass the ball (ha!) in catch up mode but why phase Gurley out of that process?

Snap counts for Gurley by game this season:

[SIZE=12pt]2 4 2015-10-04 STL @ ARI W 24-22 36 67.9% [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]3 5 2015-10-11 STL @ GNB L 10-24 45 64.3% [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]4 6 2015-10-25 STL CLE W 24-6 36 67.9% [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]5 7 2015-11-01 STL SFO W 27-6 36 52.2% [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]6 8 2015-11-08 STL @ MIN L 18-21 58 78.4% [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]7 9 2015-11-15 STL CHI L 13-37 31 49.2% [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]8 10 2015-11-22 STL @ BAL L 13-16 45 73.8% [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]9 11 2015-11-29 STL @ CIN L 7-31 0 29 39.7%[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]The Rams have been getting blown out pretty frequently. So I don't see that as a good reason for the reduction of Gurleys offensive snaps. He still was on the field for close to 50% of the offensive plays prior to recent game against the Bengals. That is what has me wondering what changed and why they did not have Gurley on the field as much as they have previously.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Cardinals are a bad match up and most likely will be playing with a lead for much of the game putting Gurley in a situation that is unfavorable for him if they continue to use the other RB more when they are in chase situations, because that is going to be most of the time.[/SIZE]

Foles and Keenum stink but Foles has stunk all season and that didn't prevent Gurley from going off earlier. Nor did all the attention he was getting from opposing defenses. So I'm still clinging to the hope he can regain his prowess although I'm not doing it with a whole lotta confidence at the moment. Which really sucks because he's so damn good and it's really depressing when he can't even come close to matching the production put up by Shaun Draughn.

T Gurley RB 29 40%

B Cunningham RB 24 33%

T Mason RB 20 27%
Makes sense. Their season is going nowhere, so why grind him into the ground?
Fisher wants a job next year along with their whole awful coaching staff and front office.
In the long run it may be better for Gurley if that does not happen. However from what I have read Snead and Fishers jobs seem safe. I do not know why.

T Gurley RB 29 40%

B Cunningham RB 24 33%

T Mason RB 20 27%
If they are going to split the snaps that even if going to be even harder for gurley to get yards since when he's on field he's probably going to get the ball...

How ####### inept to you have to be to not realize you should be getting the ball to this guy as often as possible in any way possible. I like Mason and high hopes for him before they took Gurley but giving him 7 dump offs to Gurleys 1 is mind boggling.

League is just loaded with dumb coaches right now.

I dont understand how the heck Foles can be allowed under center. Guy has something seriously wrong with his arm or something else. He simply cant throw. It is sad and pitiful to watch.

Well, good news is he has Detroit and TB coming up next. Should be able to run on those teams. But he isn't what we thought he was, what he was being teased as being, midseason when he was getting some throws out of the backfield in addition to the carries. I don't mind a 40-yard rushing game every once in a while if you can add in a few catches. With my first-round bye, I plan to roll him out against TB and then bench him W16 @Sea if my other guys are healthy.

He has now become one of those players that are practically a curse(redraft only). You don't want to put him on your bench, but you don't want him in your lineup either.

You dont need a Mensa membership to see that the Rams have packed it in and are decreasing his workload. How can anyone be productive with 9 carries? Why wear him down if you know the team isnt going to make the playoffs? Give him just enough work to progress and maybe pop a big run then shelf him until next season and he is truly 100%. Short term this sucks. But long term I still view him as the 1.01.

You dont need a Mensa membership to see that the Rams have packed it in and are decreasing his workload. How can anyone be productive with 9 carries? Why wear him down if you know the team isnt going to make the playoffs? Give him just enough work to progress and maybe pop a big run then shelf him until next season and he is truly 100%. Short term this sucks. But long term I still view him as the 1.01.
My thoughts exactly. He's clearly their franchise player, but at this point in the season there's no point in running him into brick walls. A season removed from an ACL injury with no supporting cast or OL, I think the Rams shutting him down is possibly the best decision for the franchise (by keeping their franchise player reasonably healthy while still getting him game time experience) and for the longevity of his career.

I'll be starting Peterson and Rawls over him the rest of the way out, and it's a bummer I can't even feel comfortable enough to flex him, but I can't fault the sorry Rams for easing up on Gurley to close out the year.

He had 9 of the 11 rushes yesterday. Game flow. They opened up the second half with 3 incompletions, once Arizona was up 17-0 in the third...

I think there is still hope for the next two weeks. He hasn't changed, the situation has, but they're still going to utilize him heavily early in games. If it's working, they'll stick with it. Regardless of how it goes v. the Lions and Bucs at home, I'll probably bench him Week 16 if I get there.

My thoughts exactly. He's clearly their franchise player, but at this point in the season there's no point in running him into brick walls. A season removed from an ACL injury with no supporting cast or OL, I think the Rams shutting him down is possibly the best decision for the franchise (by keeping their franchise player reasonably healthy while still getting him game time experience) and for the longevity of his career.

I'll be starting Peterson and Rawls over him the rest of the way out, and it's a bummer I can't even feel comfortable enough to flex him, but I can't fault the sorry Rams for easing up on Gurley to close out the year.
this makes perfect sense and i have no problem if their management was actually smart enough to implement a strategy like this. It's pretty incredible how he was a top play ROS in redraft and now I'm strongly considering alf morris next week over him. kick to the balls for sure

if you look at the season long stats detroit is a middle tier defenmse against fantasy RB's... but the last month they've been great at Run D... a repeat of this week's box score is very possible and feels likely

Agree, but on a per-game basis. If they are in a game and can win it I think they keep pounding him. But once it's clear they aren't getting it done they clear him and let someone else get punished.

I'm on a bye this week, but the Lions - at 4-8, out of it, coming off a devastating loss - are a much better defense at Ford Field. Just sayin'...

The following week is a TNF game. I don't see the Bucs going on the road and boat racing the Rams. They're a good young team on the rise, but they're not THAT good.

I don't think his workload is decreasing because they are eyeing next year. It is decreasing because he isn't gaining yards. The passing game has been junk all year, so that isn't new. They need to try and create better opportunities for him and they simply aren't doing that. They are just running him straight into a crowd.

He had 9 of the 11 rushes yesterday. Game flow. They opened up the second half with 3 incompletions, once Arizona was up 17-0 in the third...

I think there is still hope for the next two weeks. He hasn't changed, the situation has, but they're still going to utilize him heavily early in games. If it's working, they'll stick with it. Regardless of how it goes v. the Lions and Bucs at home, I'll probably bench him Week 16 if I get there.
Why has he been removed completely from passing game?

I mentioned above that I am speaking simply of redraft. Dynasty I would still be thrilled as can be to have this guy.

He had 9 of the 11 rushes yesterday. Game flow.
Game flow shouldn't take him out of the passing game. They'd rather feature Tre Mason as a receiver now which tells you all you need to know about the level of competence on display by the Rams' coaching staff. How difficult is it to get call 3-4 screen passes for him a game? The running game is going nowhere so why not try to get him the ball in space as a receiver? He's shown the ability to catch and run so why have they stopped doing that? Just makes no sense.

It's early in the week but right now my plan is to sit Gurley in Week 14. I'll go with someone like Bilal Powell if I have to. At least he can catch 3-4 passes and get me some production. This is absolutely brutal right now. What a waste of a great talent.

• Smile
Reactions: RBM
What a roller coaster ride. He was injured, and gonna be slowly brought along. Then he blows up and single handedly is winning games for fantasy owners. Now, he's been figured out. Its a real concern heading into the fantasy playoffs. Are you guys benching him down the stretch?

What a roller coaster ride. He was injured, and gonna be slowly brought along. Then he blows up and single handedly is winning games for fantasy owners. Now, he's been figured out. Its a real concern heading into the fantasy playoffs. Are you guys benching him down the stretch?
Strongly considering it based on how Waivers go this week. The sad thing is I can't even count on Gurley for 5 points in PPR. I figured 10-12 would be his floor all season. But if he's only getting 9-10 touches per game he's a RB4 and maybe not even that.

For those of us with Matt Jones and Danny Woodhead on our bench in a non-PPR, not so much.

In a league with Jeremy Hill, I'm considering it.

Users who are viewing this thread