What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Damien Williams, ATL (2 Viewers)

If Darrel was a FA in your league it would require a big investment?

I have no idea what kind of league you’re in, but as I’ve stated numerous times, I’m only referring to typical dynasty leagues.
Which I said twice yet you continue lecturing.  You weren't referring to typical dynasty leagues, you specifically quoted me discussing my leagues (twice).  There are no insignificant investments in these leagues.  Our FAAB is used year-round and carried over for RFA the following year.  Missing on a bunch of min bid fliers is a good way to lose the ability to retain Robert Woods or Tarik Cohen when their contracts expire. 

Which I said twice yet you continue lecturing.  You weren't referring to typical dynasty leagues, you specifically quoted me discussing my leagues (twice).  There are no insignificant investments in these leagues.  Our FAAB is used year-round and carried over for RFA the following year.  Missing on a bunch of min bid fliers is a good way to lose the ability to retain Robert Woods or Tarik Cohen when their contracts expire. 
Get over yourself.

Damien is a really tough buy/sell. His owners are very likely going to want more than he's worth on paper because of the upside & buyers will be leery in general.

I'd be interested to see any deals involving him.

Let's get back on track.

If hill misses time, is it good or bad for williams?  Good in the sense that they will need a pass catching rb on the field more and will probably increase his targets, bad in the sense that the whole offense works better when the d has to worry about hill scoring on any play. 

Let's get back on track.

If hill misses time, is it good or bad for williams?  Good in the sense that they will need a pass catching rb on the field more and will probably increase his targets, bad in the sense that the whole offense works better when the d has to worry about hill scoring on any play. 
If hill misses time its not good for anyone but sammy watkins and the current wr3 for kc

Let's get back on track.

I don’t see how it could be good for an average talent back like Williams. Williams won me two leagues last season so I’m not trying to downplay him but he obviously benefits from situation.

Let's get back on track.

Thank you. Guys, please keep this 100% on track discussing Football. And not taking shots at each other. Thanks.

Damien is a really tough buy/sell. His owners are very likely going to want more than he's worth on paper because of the upside & buyers will be leery in general.

I'd be interested to see any deals involving him.
I traded him for the 2.02 in one 12 team PPR league where my team is already very strong.  Normally I put his value at late 1st.

Last edited by a moderator:
I traded him for the 2.02 in one 12 team PPR league where my team is already very strong.  Normally I put his value at late 1st.
Yeah, I think that's about right (late-1st/early-2nd) as far as straight value.

That said, I don't like the 2019 class. I'm kinda surprised you moved Damien for 2.2.

Do you have a specific plan for 2.2 or were you simply pretty confident he'll bust & you wanted your "money" now?

Yeah, I think that's about right (late-1st/early-2nd) as far as straight value.

That said, I don't like the 2019 class. I'm kinda surprised you moved Damien for 2.2.

Do you have a specific plan for 2.2 or were you simply pretty confident he'll bust & you wanted your "money" now?
I think there are very good prospects that will be available in the early to mid-2nd.  Like one of the 3 TEs (Fant, Hockenson, and Smith), Harris, Deebo Samuel, Marquise Brown, Arcega-Whiteside, both QBs (Haskins and Murray), and Rodney Anderson if the injuries don't scare you.

So I'm in an early $77 ffpc draft and I passed on Williams for Ingram. I may regret it, but I think KC is going to draft a RB and Williams won't be the heir apparent and I could see Ingram getting a TON of work especially goal line this year. You guys really think Williams is going to be they guy in KC?

JamieMurphy said:
So I'm in an early $77 ffpc draft and I passed on Williams for Ingram. I may regret it, but I think KC is going to draft a RB and Williams won't be the heir apparent and I could see Ingram getting a TON of work especially goal line this year. You guys really think Williams is going to be they guy in KC?
Personally, I think his chances of being the guy for his team, are every bit as good as Ingram's. I would be a little surprised if KC took a RB very highly, they basically need everything on defense. I think they could easily just go with Williams/Hyde/Darryl Williams or late day 3 rookie.

JamieMurphy said:
You took the percentage play. Ingram was a 1st round talent (vs. UDFA), has a long history of very good play (vs. half a season of good play and several seasons of meh), and is getting paid like 3X what Williams is getting paid. I'd say current competition is about equal (Hyde vs. Edwards/Dixon) and both situations are very RB friendly. KC is the team more likely to add RB in the draft, although they have a lot of other needs so it is not a guarantee. 

JamieMurphy said:

I believe you made a great decision.  BAL isn’t paying Ingram $15M over 3 years to do RBBC work.  They think he’s their bell cow and BAL is the run heaviest team in the league (with good reason given Jackson’s limitations as a passer).

Williams has shown nothing more than being a replacement level player.  When he was forced into duty late in the year he was solid but hardly spectacular.  Then KC went out and picked up a RB in the offseason who had been a starter a lot longer than Williams, and then there’s the upcoming draft.  

Given all the holes on D, if Reid selects a RB before the 4th round in this draft it will pretty much tell you all you need to know - Williams is considered depth.  If nothing else, there is likely to be a full blown legit competition between RBs currently on the roster for the starting spot.  Williams is far from a slam dunk as the starter or even getting meaningful work right now.  If someone is selling that Williams has this job sewn up and is locked into a bargain FF RB1 or high RB2, the odds are very likely it is coming from a wishful Williams owner.

JamieMurphy said:
Ingram has the higher floor, Williams the higher ceiling. It comes down to your comfort with risk. Williams could realistically end up in RB1 territory. He could also be a part time, committee style back, perhaps between the 30-40th spot. Both of those outcomes are within the range of possibilities. Ingram is solid, likely a back end RB2. Don't see the potential for an RB1 finish given Jackson and the other backs  on the Ravens.

Follow the draft- an RB pick in rounds 1, 2, or 3 would be telling. I don't see Hyde as much of a threat- I think KC is his fourth team in four years, or something like that.

Personally I would like to see them bring Ware back on the cheap as depth/insurance and use almost every pick on the defense....

Well, KC dealt their first for Frank Clark, so no RB will be drafted in round #1 by the Chiefs.

hoping the team doesn’t draft an RB in the early rounds. 

Full disclosure- DWill owner who was lucky enough to make a well timed waiver claim by holding FA dollars.

would feel really good if KC avoids an RB until late, but have a sinking feeling that Chiefs go RB in round 3 or 4.

this is my most fantasy central subplot for this draft.

As the Chiefs do not pick again until round 6 and have not selected an RB, Williams role as the clear starter looks secure right now. Make no mistake, his range of outcomes is high, and he could easily plummet in value as KC doesn’t have a lot invested in him, but as a Williams owner, I couldn’t be more pleased than right now. At least in redraft, he carries top 15 value right now. Even in dynasty, his valuation arrow has moved up.

Step 1 - Sign player to extension

Step 2 - Finish 2018 season strong

Step 3 - Get by draft focusing on defense and let unsigned free agents walk.

Step 4 -  :football:
Looking good so far ...

The two main concerns now are are Hyde and Hill.

Chiefs selected Dawrin Thompson as the last pick in the sixth round. Profiles as a backup.

Doesn't impact Williams IMO.

Arrowhead Pride ✔ @ArrowheadPride

According to #Chiefs offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy, "Damien Williams is our starter, and we expect him to excel in that role."

12:59 PM - May 30, 2019

Speaking Thursday, Chiefs OC Eric Bieniemy insisted that Damien Williams will be the team's starting running back.

"Damien Williams is our starter," Bieniemy said matter of factly. "We expect him to excel in that role." There has been continued skepticism that career bit player Williams will maintain the role he had down the stretch last season, but his added competition is far from daunting. There is Carlos Hyde coming off a lost season and sixth-rounder Darwin Thompson. Second-year UDFA Darrel Williams is the other holdover. Even if a committee emerges, Williams will begin the year leading it.

SOURCE: Brandon Kiley on Twitter

May 30, 2019, 2:18 PM ET

Anyone care to try and project out what he will do as the starter?   Would his numbers be better with or without Tyreek?  

Its Spring.

Hyde is available for pennies everywhere I'm shopping, and I'm buying up all of it. If I'm wrong, I lose close to nothing. I'm not paying a premium for a career JAG who shined in a productive system, who now has a superior talent auditioning for reps for the next 3 months. I'll gladly take a minimal risk that the cream will rise to the top,.as it almost always does.

Its Spring.

Hyde is available for pennies everywhere I'm shopping, and I'm buying up all of it. If I'm wrong, I lose close to nothing. I'm not paying a premium for a career JAG who shined in a productive system, who now has a superior talent auditioning for reps for the next 3 months. I'll gladly take a minimal risk that the cream will rise to the top,.as it almost always does.
What is pennies? I have Williams in a league where I just took over a team and haven't inquired about Hyde. I'm not sure I buy Hyde being better than Williams but I could use a good idea on what Hyde might cost me.

Saw him traded for a likely mid 2020 second rounder, which I thought was very cheap 
I traded him a month or so ago for a 2020 1st (likely mid). I think that's more his value if you can find an owner in your league who is either a) win now, or b) believes Williams is the KC Starting RB beyond this year.

Its Spring.

I think this is a great move...I think the Hyde signing was a little underrated if he can revert back to his SF game play.....

.I am not sure Hyde is a superior talent but it seems like a solid idea to acquire him on the cheap even if it turns out to be just a handcuff.........we can say what we want about Williams, but the fact is he looked REALLY good in this offense on all three downs was rewarded with a new team friendly contract......Hyde only signed a one year deal, on the cheap as well, but it could turn out that Thompson is more of a threat to any PT that Hyde might earn....

Saw him traded for a likely mid 2020 second rounder, which I thought was very cheap 
Bad move even for a rebounding team.  If he starts the year with a couple 20+ point games, you can easily move him to a contender for a 2020 1st.

Hyde beating him out in the pre-season seems like a pipe dream, in my opinion.  Williams skillset is a much more favorable for what Reid wants in a running back, and we've already seen him excel in this offense well into the playoffs.  Hyde was barely mediocre last year even in Cleveland.  The only think keep his value afloat there was touchdowns.

Bad move even for a rebounding team.  If he starts the year with a couple 20+ point games, you can easily move him to a contender for a 2020 1st.

Hyde beating him out in the pre-season seems like a pipe dream, in my opinion.  Williams skillset is a much more favorable for what Reid wants in a running back, and we've already seen him excel in this offense well into the playoffs.  Hyde was barely mediocre last year even in Cleveland.  The only think keep his value afloat there was touchdowns.
Who was HC running the offense in CLE?  Who was the QB?

He's not special, but let's not pretend Williams is either.  Hyde has the superior pedigree, the rushing/receiving chops.  Folks acting like Williams has this locked down might be due for a crushing disappointment, and those buying Hyde for pennies and nickels are probably wise to do so.

He's not special, but let's not pretend Williams is either.  Hyde has the superior pedigree, the rushing/receiving chops.  Folks acting like Williams has this locked down might be due for a crushing disappointment, and those buying Hyde for pennies and nickels are probably wise to do so.
Hyde was even worse in Jacksonville than he was in Cleveland. And he’s not a good receiver. He had one season two years ago where he caught 59 balls, but he needed 88 targets to do it. His receiving average that year was 5.9, oh and he led all RBs in the league that year with 6 drops. Listen, I’m not saying it’s a terrible idea to grab Hyde for peanuts if you don’t believe in Damien’s talent. It’s been abundantly clear that whoever the starting rb in this offense is they’re likely a fantasy goldmine. I’m just of the opinion that, barring injury, that man this year is Damien Williams. He’s much faster than Hyde and as far as receiving goes they’re not even in the same stratosphere. Hyde will likely poach some tds, though. 

Its Spring.

Is Hyde the cream in this example? I think he's expired and all sour now.

Hyde looks washed to me.  I think the young RBs are more a threat to Damien if he doesnt perform well in the RB1 role that he looked very good in last year.  

Hyde is and always was a pretty bad receiver. He had one volume pumped good year for receptions but his efficiency was horrendous that year. He's a minus in the passing game.

Users who are viewing this thread