What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lesean McCoy? How concerned are we? (4 Viewers)

rockaction said:
My bad. He doesn't really. This was a cross-posting. In the other thread, I said he should have just said "RBBC" to the media and been done with it.

But that also said, among this group, he really does have a pretty glaring top back, and it's hurt them in their four losses. I think McCoy is the guy to run the football for them. That's just me.
Shady's fumbles directly lead to two of those......

Damn it.  Have to decide now between Shady, Darrel, and Alshon Jeffrey at my flex.  Playoff berth on the line.  Would have preferred to have been able to start Jeffrey against Miami, without having to choose.

Is Shady or Darrel the play? To be, or not to be.

Both, none, or one. A little bit of sustained winds (20-30) in KC favor a little more run game.

you would think, though this IS Andy Reid we are talking about.
Andy prolly doesn't even know how the game flow goes or what personnel to go with in the red zone / goal line. It could be just luck of the draw who gets the TD's? Wait a second - fantasy football is considered a game of skill. 

LeSean McCoy rushed five times for 10 yards and one touchdown in the Chiefs' Week 13 win over the Raiders.

He added 20 yards on three catches, nabbing all three of his targets. All three Chiefs running backs scored touchdowns in this one, but Darwin Thompson (11-44-1) ended up leading the team in rushing and touches. McCoy has no explosiveness left in his legs, but he can still score touchdowns in this potent offense. He's a low-volume RB3 every week and gets a tough Week 14 matchup against the Patriots. Both Damien (ribs) and Darrel Williams (hamstring) are uncertain for that one.

Dec 1, 2019, 7:43 PM ET

LeSean McCoy totaled 39 yards on 11 carries while also securing one catch for four yards on three targets Sunday in Kansas City’s Week 14 win over the Patriots.

McCoy led the Chiefs' backfield with Damien Williams (ribs) shelved, though obviously he didn't make the most of that opportunity. He ceded five carries to Spencer Ware and another four to rookie Darwin Thompson. Shady came into Sunday's action with a touchdown in each of his previous two games, though the end zone eluded him Sunday as New England's defensive front proved difficult to crack. Even if Williams misses another game, McCoy won't be an inspiring option when the Broncos visit Arrowhead in Week 15. To McCoy's credit, he compiled a respectable 76 yards (64 rushing, 12 rushing) when these teams met earlier this year.

Dec 8, 2019, 8:11 PM ET

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reports RB LeSean McCoy isn't expected to return to the Chiefs in 2020.

Garafolo listed the Chargers and Eagles as two potential suitors. The veteran RB will be 32 years old in July. Fumbles were enough of an issue throughout the 2019 season for Shady to be a healthy scratch during the Chiefs' Super Bowl run. Still, McCoy wasn't totally washed, as he averaged a plenty respectable 4.6 yards per carry and posted a season-long 28-181-1 receiving line. The days of Shady receiving a true three-down workload are almost undoubtedly done, but it wouldn't be surprising to see him work as a committee back somewhere in 2020.

SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on NFL Network

Mar 5, 2020, 11:24 AM ET

The Athletic's Chris Burke considers free agent LeSean McCoy a "sleeper pick" for the Lions.

This is not a "report," but Burke passing along his informed opinion. He believes coach Matt Patricia has "faced (McCoy) a ton and has a lot of respect for what he can offer as a playmaker." That, of course, doesn't square with what McCoy showed for the Chiefs last season, but it would be far from surprising if teams were interested in adding McCoy in an elder statesman role. That's what he would be in Detroit behind Kerryon Johnson, who has had trouble staying healthy.

RELATED: 

Detroit Lions

SOURCE: Chris Burke on Twitter

Mar 5, 2020, 2:24 PM ET

Last edited by a moderator:
Just signed with the Buccaneers.
Rotoworld take:

Bucs signed LeSean McCoy, formerly of the Chiefs, to a one-year, $1 million contract.

McCoy had interest from a few teams but was forced into waiting until camp to sign a near veteran-minimum contract. Last year, McCoy looked a step slower and probably won't be counted on for a big role in Tampa Bay. What McCoy does do is complicate things for Ronald Jones and rookie Ke'Shawn Vaughn, both players who have been zero-rb targets the entire offseason. Adding McCoy to the mix further lowers the ceilings and floors for all involved. It's a backfield that probably should be avoided until the double-digit rounds of fantasy football drafts now that there's three members involved.

RELATED: 

Ronald Jones

, Ke'Shawn Vaughn

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Jul 30, 2020, 5:58 PM ET

A little too late for McCoy IMO.  I believe the gas has run out of the tank, but who knows, anything is possible I guess.

Showed he still had plenty in the tank running the ball. His ball security was absolutely horrific.

I think his most likely role (if makes team) is 3rd down back. Though he was not good in pass pro last year either.

I didn't think much of this yesterday but now I'm thinking of how many pedestrian backs Brady has made fantasy relevant and how Arians system lends to it also.   Probably just a wash with the guys there but who knows.

I didn't think much of this yesterday but now I'm thinking of how many pedestrian backs Brady has made fantasy relevant and how Arians system lends to it also.   Probably just a wash with the guys there but who knows.
The only thing that gives me slight  optimism is how Arians helped resurrect Chris Johnson’s career in AZ. Whether Shady has anything left in the tank regardless of how Arians feels about him remains to be seen.

Gas might be out of the tank, but he could be a cheap option with a higher floor than others in his range 

Gas might be out of the tank, but he could be a cheap option with a higher floor than others in his range 
Maybe nothing to it, but Brady loves veterans. Also loves throwing to running backs.

Showed he still had plenty in the tank running the ball. His ball security was absolutely horrific.

I think his most likely role (if makes team) is 3rd down back. Though he was not good in pass pro last year either.
I agree he did not protect the football with KC. I have to say its a mental lapse with him, he knows better, he has played better than that before. No real reason for him not protecting the football. He got chewed out and benched for it.

No situation better for him than KC. He blew his opportunity.

This could change of course. He could take protecting the ball seriously and not make those mistakes in 2020. Its really just up to him to do it. I know he can do it.

Some interesting comments regarding Arians and his preference for a veteran RB. We definitely saw that with his use of Chris Johnson over David Johnson as a rookie and I recall some examples with Arians doing this even further back with other teams being discussed at that time. I think he does prefer a veteran player there.

The competition at RB for the Bucs is unproven so I think McCoy has a shot to be a contributor, maybe even their starter if he does well in practice and so on. He is likely pretty much free to acquire at this point in most leagues, so worth a roster spot to wait and find out.

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reports "indications" are Buccaneers RB LeSean McCoy will still be used in the passing game and on third downs.

Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio initially reported McCoy is still expected to make Tampa Bay's 53-man roster following the Leonard Fournette signing, but any "integral" role for Shady would obviously impact Ronald Jones' touches even further. Assuming Fournette handles goal line work (with a direct path to leading the team in carries) and McCoy fends off Dare Ogunbowale for the team's third-down role, that leaves Jones with empty carries between the 20's. Fournette remains the mid-range RB3 we would target given his foreseeable touchdown equity.

RELATED: 

Ronald Jones

, Leonard Fournette

SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

Sep 3, 2020, 9:12 AM ET

LeSean McCoy admits he will consider retirement following Super Bowl LV. 

“If I get two championships, with my résumé, it might be over,” McCoy said Tuesday. “But you never know. When I retire, I definitely want to retire an Eagle. That’s always a dream.” McCoy is the kind of player who has earned the right to decide when to hang it up, but the decision is still mostly being made for him. Now 32, McCoy has handled the ball only 154 times over the past two years, with just 25 of those touches coming in 2020. McCoy's wish to go out as an Eagle could be arranged for this summer. 

SOURCE: NJ.com 

Feb 2, 2021, 3:37 PM ET

LeSean McCoy announced his retirement.

Philadelphia's all-time leading rusher with 6,792 yards (and 300 catches for 2,282 yards), McCoy will sign a one-day contract with the Eagles and be honored with Andy Reid present at halftime of Sunday's contest against the Chiefs. A second-round pick out of Pittsburgh in the 2009 draft, 'Shady' rushed for 11,102 yards and 4.5 yards per carry with 518 receptions for 3,898 receiving yards across 12 NFL seasons. He totaled 89 touchdowns, being named to six Pro Bowls with two 1st-team All-Pro nods and back-to-back Super Bowl rings as a backup with the Chiefs and Buccaneers. McCoy walks away at the ripe age of 33.

- Mike Garafolo, Twitter

Users who are viewing this thread