What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Aaron Rodgers, NYJ (2 Viewers)

So Rodgers was demanding they bring back a guy to sit on a bench behind MVS/Lazard/ESB/Rodgers?
Playing time and targets are a meritocracy.  Just because Cobb is on the roster doesn't guarantee he's still a better player than any of those guys.

He'll get exactly what he earns.

Playing time and targets are a meritocracy.  Just because Cobb is on the roster doesn't guarantee he's still a better player than any of those guys.

Right, I get that. But demanding another mouth at the table has to diminish the food available to one already seated. And, IMHO, speaks to the quality of folks already at the table.

I would tend to agree in most cases, but when Rodgers demands they sign a player - they go out and make an effort to free up cap to sign a former teammate of Rodgers - I think it is Cobb's job to lose.  I'm not sure I have seen anything from Lazard or MVS to indicate they would be in front of him and could see them slowly acclimating Amari into the lineup.  

PPR Redraft: I am targeting Randall Cobb all day.  I am sure his ADP will move some, but he is currently undrafted in most 12 team leagues. 

So Rodgers was demanding they bring back a guy to sit on a bench behind MVS/Lazard/ESB/Rodgers?
He wanted one of his guys back.  Cobb in the end makes the most sense because of the relationship with the QB and Amari Rodgers.

His press conference today on what he thought of other players who weren’t retained seems why he is a player and not in personnel.

Six teams who could trade for Rodgers this season:

The Athetic

Paying for content is a tough sell, but I really really like the Athletic

Broncos
Steelers
Saints
Raiders
Eagles
Washington

Those are all pretty attractive offers. Man, Washington should be considered a sleeper. That defense, Terry, Samuel, Gibson, hooo boy.

I had two thoughts on his press conference

1. It was great and he was surprisingly candid.

2. I see why they don't let him have a say in personnel matters.
Yeah it was great…then he started naming players and I think of the cost of all of them and laugh…yeah, dude should probably stick to playing QB.

I would tend to agree in most cases, but when Rodgers demands they sign a player - they go out and make an effort to free up cap to sign a former teammate of Rodgers - I think it is Cobb's job to lose.  I'm not sure I have seen anything from Lazard or MVS to indicate they would be in front of him and could see them slowly acclimating Amari into the lineup. 

I agree with this, and I also think that there's a high probability that he does lose it.

I had two thoughts on his press conference

1. It was great and he was surprisingly candid.

2. I see why they don't let him have a say in personnel matters.

Fantastic press conference.  The beat reporters didn't let him off the hook easily and he was happy to answer everything, which was great to see.  Hopefully the last press conference I'll ever watch this preseason or any preseason, but worthwhile for me under these circumstances.  You so rarely see a player being so open and honest - maybe he thought he owed that to the fans somewhat. At the same time, he did not come off well and probably didn't make any friends today.  But all's well that ends well - great job by everyone bringing this thing home and getting the MVP back out there playing football.  I think Packer fans should be happy to know he seems highly motivated to succeed again this season, as usual.

He is under contract for 2021 and 2022.  The last year was voided which is 2023. The agreement really means if Rodgers still feels the way he did this off season. The Packers agreed to see about trading him in 2022. The Packers don't want another off season like this one.  Of course they will have to trade him where he wants to go if that does happen because he is the "New Godfather".  He would just threaten retirement if he was not happy with the destination.

I think the Over The Cap guy gives an excellent summary here. In the end, the new contract does a few important things - it essentially guarantees the next two years, something he didn't have before and something he talked about today.  That money is probably mostly coming up front.  If the goal was to have him play one more season then trade him before the 2022 season, this contact paves the way for that.  It preserves the Packers' ability to get something for him in a trade after this season and reportedly mitigates the cap hit if that happens.  Of course, they can always make a new agreement next summer and yeah, he will be able to decide where he wants to go regardless, but any destination team has to pay fair value in a trade. 

All of these issues were well known back in February.  I'm impressed and happy they found a way to address both parties' concerns.  As is always the case in these situations, neither side is probably totally happy - that's what compromise gets you - but both are surely satisfied.

I'll be shocked if he is the QB for the Packers in 2022.  I think anything outside of a Superbowl and he is gone. He made the Packer front office look stupid and greedy. I assure you the memory of today is going to linger. I loved every second of it but no matter how he tried to clean it up at the end. He landed a jab right to the front office's nose.
Yep and also landed a jab at the media, Schefter in particular.  Both the front office and Rodgers have some culpability here and hopefully can work together for one more run in 2021.

I'll be shocked if he is the QB for the Packers in 2022.  I think anything outside of a Superbowl and he is gone. He made the Packer front office look stupid and greedy. I assure you the memory of today is going to linger. I loved every second of it but no matter how he tried to clean it up at the end. He landed a jab right to the front office's nose.

Odd take. I didn't get that impression at all. I enjoyed it, too. But I think he made himself look stupid and greedy. And I don't think he landed anything. I think he came across like a petulant child throwing a hissy fit. The front office looked much better in the end. 

Odd take. I didn't get that impression at all. I enjoyed it, too. But I think he made himself look stupid and greedy. And I don't think he landed anything. I think he came across like a petulant child throwing a hissy fit. The front office looked much better in the end. 
I think this is the odd take.  It seems that a majority of Packer fans thought it was a good press conference for Rodgers.  He explained himself fairly well imo.  

I think this is the odd take.  It seems that a majority of Packer fans thought it was a good press conference for Rodgers.  He explained himself fairly well imo.  

I think it was good for him that he was forthcoming about where he stood and the supposed roots of his discontent. I also think his expectations about wanting to be more involved in personnel decisions are pretty absurd. I realize he tried to soften it by saying "just say something to me and maybe I can change your mind," or something along those lines, but I see this as another case of a player elevating himself beyond reason.

And I certainly don't think the organization came out looking poorly at all. He bemoaned how other players were treated towards the end of their careers, but he also acknowledged that it's a business. And I didn't come away convinced that the organization did anything more egregious than what every other NFL team does when it's time to move on. 

I agree with osuetc, but probably for a different reason.  I just don't see any way ARod as a front office voice goes well unless they just cave to what he wants.

"Aaron, Jake Kumerow has been our worst WR this camp.  We're leaning toward cutting him and making way for some of the younger guys."

"In my opinion, Jake's been our second best WR this camp.  We should keep him."

If they keep him, they're a worse team.  If they cut him, ARod gets pissy again.  "You said you'd listen to me!"  "We have, you're wrong."  It could begin as soon as the end of THIS training camp.

He gone.

Seemed like a mix.  The line about GB not being a vacation destination and people are coming to play with him was pretty bad.  His list of players and things about some being kept was pretty bad if he was auditioning to have more say in personnel.

But he made a lot of sense talking about being more involved and giving perspective.

I think there were moments he came off very very well...and yeah, moments he came off as a bit petulent as well.

I don't buy that his side didn't leak anything this offseason.  The claim that there was no security/contract offered until May seems suspect given some earlier reporting.

I think in the end...the front office called a bit of his bluff...and are getting in a way what they wanted.  That this would be his last year and they move on to the guy they drafted.  And they kept the option there will they still control the destination he would go and will get compensation.

Seemed like a mix.  The line about GB not being a vacation destination and people are coming to play with him was pretty bad.  His list of players and things about some being kept was pretty bad if he was auditioning to have more say in personnel.

But he made a lot of sense talking about being more involved and giving perspective.

I think there were moments he came off very very well...and yeah, moments he came off as a bit petulent as well.

I don't buy that his side didn't leak anything this offseason.  The claim that there was no security/contract offered until May seems suspect given some earlier reporting.

I think in the end...the front office called a bit of his bluff...and are getting in a way what they wanted.  That this would be his last year and they move on to the guy they drafted.  And they kept the option there will they still control the destination he would go and will get compensation.
What list of players?  The only list I heard was the list of players not treated the best at the end of their tenure.  Guys like Peppers and Woodson.  

Davante Adams should condition extension on Green Bay bringing back Brett Hundley.
I don't see how Davante's back.  I like him but I don't think any WR is worth what he's going to want.  I'd rather lock down the younger guys like Jaire and Jenkins.  

Last edited by a moderator:
If you say so.

Aaron:  Hey, I want Randall Cobb too.   Packer front office: "Yes, Mr. Rodgers. Anything else?  Aaron: That will be all for now. I'll let you know if I need anything else and when.  Packer front office:  Yes, sir. Just use those mechanisms we but in place to voice your displeasure.
You may be right.  I could certainly be over-selling their spine in personnel decisions vs. his opinions.  Hope I'm not though.

What list of players?  The only list I heard was the list of players not treated the best at the end of their tenure.  Guys like Peppers and Woodson.  
Thats the one. It wasn't just not treated the best.  And he was still talking about Kumerow again.

Peppers and Woodson seemed like they made the right move…Clay too

They don't control the destination.  Aaron will just retire if they try to trade him to Detroit.  I know they never would trade inside their division but the point is he would not go to a place he does not desire to go too.

Sure they do...and it seemed clear today that he isn't really going to retire.

In addition...the point of control the destination was more about they have a say vs. giving him and opt out to get him back this year and then let him walk.  They will get a return for him...they have the final say.  He said it today that it was not in the agreement to give him the choice.

Thats the one. It wasn't just not treated the best.  And he was still talking about Kumerow again.

Peppers and Woodson seemed like they made the right move…Clay too
I guess I interpreted that differently.  I didn't take it that Rodgers was mad they were cut just how it was done.  I could be wrong though.  Doesn't really matter I guess.  Packers front office not the best communicators, nothing new...Rodgers a diva, nothing new.  As long as they can figure it out for this season is all I care about.

I’m on the A-Rod bandwagon here, he had his podium/platform with all ears and eyes on him for the last few months- (ESPN, GMFB, NFL Live, FBG Forums 😎 etc) Not too many people in sports ever have that chance. Good, bad or indifferent I respect that he took that shot. No matter how it shakes out 40% will think he a D-bag 40% will think he’s the man, 20% could care less about him.

I guess I interpreted that differently.  I didn't take it that Rodgers was mad they were cut just how it was done.  I could be wrong though.  Doesn't really matter I guess.  Packers front office not the best communicators, nothing new...Rodgers a diva, nothing new.  As long as they can figure it out for this season is all I care about.
He seemed to mix both that they had more to offer and how they were treated.  Mixing in guys like Hayward…

Exactly…Im enjoying this year for what it is and then we will see where it goes.

Uh-huh.

Did you witness this off season? You think Aaron Rodgers will accept any destination they want to send him too?  They tried to pay him off and he said "NO" but you think if he did not want to play in Miami or wherever that the Packers could force him too? He did not retire or hold out because the Packers gave him what he wanted.
Isn’t it pretty obvious what the situation is? This is nothing new. Of course no one can force a player to play. Of course he can refuse to report and retire. Of course no team will trade for a player like this without being certain it will work. At the same time, he can’t pick his destination. Whatever team he wants to go to will have to want him enough to trade fair value.  If there is a bidding war, it will get interesting. 

I’m on the A-Rod bandwagon here, he had his podium/platform with all ears and eyes on him for the last few months- (ESPN, GMFB, NFL Live, FBG Forums 😎 etc) Not too many people in sports ever have that chance. Good, bad or indifferent I respect that he took that shot. No matter how it shakes out 40% will think he a D-bag 40% will think he’s the man, 20% could care less about him.
I don’t understand why it has to be so tribal. It’s not hard to respect Rodgers for what he’s accomplished and support his right to try to get what he wants. It’s not hard to understand why the team followed the same process they’ve always used to be successful. This is a win for everyone involved. Rodgers, Jordan Love, the Packers, their fans.  It’s a fantastic result all around. There’s no surprise it took them a few months to work through this. I fully expected it to run a few weeks into camp at least.  If you remove the ridiculous media hype, there’s really not much of a story here and never has been.

Aging superstar wins MVP and wants to re-do his contract. Parties negotiate new deal. Film at eleven. 

Uh-huh.

Did you witness this off season? You think Aaron Rodgers will accept any destination they want to send him too?  They tried to pay him off and he said "NO" but you think if he did not want to play in Miami or wherever that the Packers could force him too? He did not retire or hold out because the Packers gave him what he wanted.
Any destination…no.  But compared to an opt out…yeah they can approve of where.

He didn’t get much at all of what he wanted it seems.  Unless all he wanted was one year off his contract and Cobb…sure.

I don’t understand why it has to be so tribal. It’s not hard to respect Rodgers for what he’s accomplished and support his right to try to get what he wants. It’s not hard to understand why the team followed the same process they’ve always used to be successful. This is a win for everyone involved. Rodgers, Jordan Love, the Packers, their fans.  It’s a fantastic result all around. There’s no surprise it took them a few months to work through this. I fully expected it to run a few weeks into camp at least.  If you remove the ridiculous media hype, there’s really not much of a story here and never has been.

Aging superstar wins MVP and wants to re-do his contract. Parties negotiate new deal. Film at eleven. 
It seems the situation had several complicated fellows.

I know dozens have said so, but for some reason this post in particular I heard in the voice of your avi. :lmao:  

Yeah I’m not sure teams should be letting the face of the franchise getting involved in choosing the HC. Should ownership/GM be discussing how to best utilize their stellar QB? Absolutely. That’s their role in performing due diligence.

Just me? 

The dude is an amazing quarterback, as good as anyone in this millennium. But even superstars need to stay in their lane.Just bc you’re the man on the field doesn’t make you The Man who calls the shots.

You want to shoot potential FAs a text and encourage them to join the cause? Knock yourself out recruiting. You want to choose which Free Agents the team pursues or which players it drafts? Dude, that is not your job. 

Yeah I’m not sure teams should be letting the face of the franchise getting involved in choosing the HC. Should ownership/GM be discussing how to best utilize their stellar QB? Absolutely. That’s their role in performing due diligence.

Just me? 

The dude is an amazing quarterback, as good as anyone in this millennium. But even superstars need to stay in their lane.Just bc you’re the man on the field doesn’t make you The Man who calls the shots.

You want to shoot potential FAs a text and encourage them to join the cause? Knock yourself out recruiting. You want to choose which Free Agents the team pursues or which players it drafts? Dude, that is not your job. 

I agree.  Who does Rodgers think he is..Lebron James?

Tom Pelissero @TomPelissero

#Packers QB Aaron Rodgers’ revised contract voids on the seventh day prior to the 2023 league year, per sources. The franchise tag window closes one day before that. So, he’s untaggable after 2022. If Rodgers plays out the next two years on this deal, he’d be a true free agent.

Tom Pelissero @TomPelissero

There’s no new money in Aaron Rodgers’ new deal (adjusted upward to account for 18th game check):

$6.8 million roster bonus (from March)

$14,464,706 signing bonus

$1.1M base salary

Total: $22,364,706

$26,470,588 salary

$500K workout bonus

Total: $26,970,688

I don't really see how keeping him next year is possible. 46 mil cap hit? And no way to keep him after that? No matter what the cap hit to trade him next year, 20 whatever it is Mill, the Pack gain 20 mill in cap space, plus whatever they get in trade. 

This deal ensures he's gone ASAP, which was his goal. Packers essentially agree to trade him, get one more shot this season. 

Lolol at the idea Rodgers has no say in his next destination. There will be a list of preferred teams, the Pack will talk to them. Like Houston is gonna trade a bunch of picks for an unhappy Rodgers, with a contract that voids after one season. 

I don't really see how keeping him next year is possible. 46 mil cap hit? And no way to keep him after that? No matter what the cap hit to trade him next year, 20 whatever it is Mill, the Pack gain 20 mill in cap space, plus whatever they get in trade. 

This deal ensures he's gone ASAP, which was his goal. Packers essentially agree to trade him, get one more shot this season. 

Lolol at the idea Rodgers has no say in his next destination. There will be a list of preferred teams, the Pack will talk to them. Like Houston is gonna trade a bunch of picks for an unhappy Rodgers, with a contract that voids after one season. 
Yep.   Well stated.

Expand  
Yep.   Well stated.

Yeah - If there was any doubt before this week, with the contract details now known and the press conferences we've seen the past two days, I think its obvious now that:

1. Aaron Rodgers and the Packers will tolerate each other for one season.  They are professionals and will do their jobs, but the tension and ill-will is mutual and probably irreparable.

2. He will play one season then be traded. He can't trade himself, and no one can force him to play, so they just have to find a destination that works for everyone.

3. The Packers are going "all-in" this season more than they've ever gone all-in in our lifetime.  They will have a difficult time with contracts in 2023 and 24.  Honestly, its not such a bad problem to have - they just have too many great players at important positions to keep them all.

Yeah - If there was any doubt before this week, with the contract details now known and the press conferences we've seen the past two days, I think its obvious now that:

1. Aaron Rodgers and the Packers will tolerate each other for one season.  They are professionals and will do their jobs, but the tension and ill-will is mutual and probably irreparable.

2. He will play one season then be traded. He can't trade himself, and no one can force him to play, so they just have to find a destination that works for everyone.

3. The Packers are going "all-in" this season more than they've ever gone all-in in our lifetime.  They will have a difficult time with contracts in 2023 and 24.  Honestly, its not such a bad problem to have - they just have too many great players at important positions to keep them all.

Next year will be tough with the salary cap. But they'll have a QB on a rookie contract that'll help. And I think in 2023 the cap is expected to go way up with a new TV contract.

What a weird arrangement, to basically have a swan song season. Maybe it happens more frequently than fans hear about, but I’m hard pressed to remember a prior situation. Warner/Rams a little. Warner was benched early in that season for Bulger if I remember right.

Isn't it a bit rich for Aaron Rodgers to be lecturing the Packers on how to treat people? The same guy that doesn't talk to his family? The same guy who ran Mike McCarthy out of town? The same guy who after a game in Buffalo publicly questioned his coach's game plan in a win? The same guy who openly shows his disgust with teammates on the field? The same guy who is known to put receivers in his doghouse because they ran a route wrong?

Yeah, that's who I'm going to take pointers from on how to treat people.

Users who are viewing this thread