What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Samaje Perine, DEN - Plays Better West of the Mississippi! (1 Viewer)

He looked good. Definitely some missed assignments by the GB D, particularly on his big reception, by but he took advantage of them and looked solid overall.

Would have liked to see some footage of him staying in to block on pass plays. Most reports are that is where he is truly struggling. I can't see Washington risking their $20 million QB if they aren't 100% confident Perine won't get him killed.
From what I have seen of Perine and read of others observations of his blocking this was considered a plus. So recent reports of him struggling in this area doesn't match that. 

He is very strong and capable as a blocker. I have seen him take on defensive linemen and stone them (at the college level). 

I have no doubt he has made mistakes as reported, but this is an area of his game that I think he can excel. I don't think it will hold him back long and he will earn the coaches trust in that area and others in time.

From what I have seen of Perine and read of others observations of his blocking this was considered a plus. So recent reports of him struggling in this area doesn't match that. 

He is very strong and capable as a blocker. I have seen him take on defensive linemen and stone them (at the college level). 

I have no doubt he has made mistakes as reported, but this is an area of his game that I think he can excel. I don't think it will hold him back long and he will earn the coaches trust in that area and others in time.
That's a good observation, you an OU fan?

Still, I can't discount the recent reports. Makes me think Kelly will still be the primary starter during week one, and therefore have the opportunity to hold onto the job.

That's a good observation, you an OU fan?

Still, I can't discount the recent reports. Makes me think Kelly will still be the primary starter during week one, and therefore have the opportunity to hold onto the job.
I am not a fan of any college team.

I have been following Perine since 2014 though and have read some things from OU fans in regards to this, I think posted some of that earlier on in the thread or possibly in the Mixon thread. I recall an article talking about both RB abilities in pass protection, and the view was that both of them were capable, but that Perine was asked to do that more than Mixon was. Perine played as a full back at times as well.

Agree. Perine has upside, with a great pedigree (OK, 4th round) and a little overlooked in college if only because of splitting time with Mixon.

He will have a learning curve still at this level, so I have no doubt the team will run with Kelly at first, but no question if Perine rounds out his skill set (especially in the pass pro and other criticised elements of his game so far this preseason) there is no reason to think he can't compete for a starting position, and at very least, capture a majority share of those 167 carries given to Matt Jones and Chris Thompson last year.

He's been up against scrub D lines (2/3 units) so far this preseason, but still like that the team is giving him 3x the reps of Jones and Thompson to see what he can do -- and he's delivering with a 4.3 ypc.

Things change when the game is being played for real, but I think Perine is still a guy who can pay off in the second half of the season. Approaching with cautious optimism that he'll have a solid role all season, with the potential to be the #1 guy in the last two quarters of football in 2017.

Samaje Perine rushed five times for yards in the Redskins' third preseason game.

The fourth-round pick wasn't targeted in the passing game. He struggles with the second-team offense came on a day where Rob Kelley shined with the starters. Perine never pressured Kelley this summer. He'll enter Thursday's exhibition finale with 19 carries for 65 yards (3.42 YPC). It's a long season, and Kelley isn't an extraordinary talent, but it could be a while before Perine puts himself on the re-draft radar.

This is why it's dangerous to buy the rookie hype before they do something in camp.  I saw him going in the top 10 dynasty picks in some drafts this year... wonder where he would be taken now?

This is why it's dangerous to buy the rookie hype before they do something in camp.  I saw him going in the top 10 dynasty picks in some drafts this year... wonder where he would be taken now?
In a dynasty league, don't think his value has really changed that much.  Obviously top 10 - i'm assuming you're not talking about rookie draft - would be way too high.

Prior to the preseason that's all you have to go on.  Can't fault anyone for buying into that. 

In a dynasty league, don't think his value has really changed that much.  Obviously top 10 - i'm assuming you're not talking about rookie draft - would be way too high.
I meant rookie drafts, sorry to not specify.

I highly doubt he goes top 10 in a rookie draft that happens today.  May be a late 2nd rounder at best IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Prior to the preseason that's all you have to go on.  Can't fault anyone for buying into that. 
Sure I can!  

I always think it's funny how before preseason it is eternal optimism for all rookies.  Then, at a certain point, reality hits.  I like to be the guy that doesn't buy the rookie hype (when not absolutely warranted by obvious talent).  I'd rather be surprised by the 1 out of 10 rookies who break out (in fantasy) than disappointed that 9 out of 10 busted.

Before preseason we all get amnesia about the huge graveyard of past rookie busts.  I think it gives you an advantage in Dynasty to not get that amnesia.

I think Kelley has a pretty firm lock on the RB job but it is foolish to write Perine off entirely this season. 

I'm still pretty solid on Perine getting the starting job this year. Unless Kelley has improved dramatically this year, I just don't see him as a long-term starter in the NFL.

Most were confident of Matt Jones taking over back in August of 2015.  

If the player doesn't make it obvious to the coaches right away... it's not good.  Kelley isn't a beast or anything, but he is solid and has the mental part of the game down.  Perine isn't passing him until he can do everything the coaches need him to do at least as well as Kelley, and if Kelley sucks then it is alarming that there is no sign of that happening.

With Chris Thompson locking down the 3rd down role, it's already going to be hard for the lead back in Washington to produce in PPR.

So you should time out in you rookie drafts before training camp?

I think he's a full back but they're all hype in May.

I meant rookie drafts, sorry to not specify.

I highly doubt he goes top 10 in a rookie draft that happens today.  May be a late 2nd rounder at best IMO.
In a dynasty league, i really don't think his value has changed at all. They just cut Matt Jones. Perine will get his chance.

In my 12 team Super-flex, PPR draft yesterday Kelley went off the board at pick 8.6 as the #33 RB off the board (he is the RB 4 on that squad, a great option IMO).

Perine was drafted at 11.10 as the #43 RB off the board (T.Riddick, J.Hill, J.Stewart, C.Prosise & M.Mack were the RBs drafted after Perine).

May have been a wasted pick on Perine. He is that team's RB5 (J.Howard, C.Hyde, D.Martin, D.Henry & R.Burkhead are his other RBs).

Sure I can!  

I always think it's funny how before preseason it is eternal optimism for all rookies.  Then, at a certain point, reality hits.  I like to be the guy that doesn't buy the rookie hype (when not absolutely warranted by obvious talent).  I'd rather be surprised by the 1 out of 10 rookies who break out (in fantasy) than disappointed that 9 out of 10 busted.

Before preseason we all get amnesia about the huge graveyard of past rookie busts.  I think it gives you an advantage in Dynasty to not get that amnesia.
You sound like you have all the answers.  You must be fun in meetings.  

Sure I can!  

Well, the thing is....you kind of have to (for the most part) draft a rookie in rookie drafts.

So we're dumping on rookies who aren't in the starting job Week 1 now?

Perine is the same guy he was four months ago.  Either you believed in him, or you didn't.  Not much reason to change your mind at this point IMO.

Time out?  No... typically I trade the picks to the overly optimistic during the draft.
The easiest way to land a stud in dynasty leagues is to draft one. Sure it doesn't always work out but in my experience guys who constantly trade away their picks for veterans usually end up with mediocre teams.

The easiest way to land a stud in dynasty leagues is to draft one. Sure it doesn't always work out but in my experience guys who constantly trade away their picks for veterans usually end up with mediocre teams.
I don't think it's easy to draft studs when you're picking near the middle or end of the draft most years.  If it's obvious studs like AJ Green or Julio Jones or Mike Evans or Amari Cooper then I guess the draft is the easier method, but those guys always go in the top 3 or so picks.  I can't think of any big name stud WRs who I have had a shot at drafting in any Dynasty league, so I guess I'm talking about trading away more risky 1st round picks.   I usually try to "overpay" with a package of multiple late 1st rounders plus a player or two for a proven big name young WR.  It only works if you can pry them away...

Back to Perine - what I'm saying is that if Rob Kelley is bad, then it is not a good sign for Perine if he isn't coming close to challenging for the starting role.  At the RB position there haven't been very many true studs who in their rookie year were no threat to a middling talent like Kelley.   Chris Thompson is also there, which significantly limits the upside of the Redskins' starting RB with all the passing game work he takes.

I do think Kelley is way better than he gets credit for, and Perine is very young...

Back to Perine - what I'm saying is that if Rob Kelley is bad, then it is not a good sign for Perine if he isn't coming close to challenging for the starting role.  At the RB position there haven't been very many true studs who in their rookie year were no threat to a middling talent like Kelley.   Chris Thompson is also there, which significantly limits the upside of the Redskins' starting RB with all the passing game work he takes.
Wasn't David Johnson 3rd string to CJ2K and Ellington to start his rookie year?

He was... but David Johnson was good in preseason and scored a 50+ yard TD on his first NFL touch the first game of the season.

And Arians hates rookies.

Devonta Freeman struggled his first year if I recall correctly. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure I can!  

I would say looking at preseason results as a definitive answer to a players value is equally as damaging to roster/player decisions as investing heavily on rookies that are unproven.  Actually, i'd say writing off a player based on his rookie preseason results is downright foolish.

I would say looking at preseason results as a definitive answer to a players value is equally as damaging to roster/player decisions as investing heavily on rookies that are unproven.  Actually, i'd say writing off a player based on his rookie preseason results is downright foolish.
To be fair, it's a bit of hyperbole to say I'm totally writing him off.  His failure to impress, not just in preseason but also in camp, is a sign of serious concern.  His value has definitely dropped in redraft and in dynasty too.  He is young tho, and he could be hurt without us knowing. 

To not adjust a rookie down your board when there are early negative signs and almost zero positive signs is wearing blinders.  With Chris Thompson there taking the passing game work he has a lot of roadblocks to producing big fantasy numbers.  

it's almost always best to bet against 4th round and later players turning out.  A few work out though, so there is hope.

I mean, his main competition is an undrafted player who didn't even start for his college team.
It's actually impressive that he's been able to hold onto the starting job despite being the ultimate JAG. As the above poster said, he rarely ever loses yardage and he never fumbles. He's reliable.

I actually think Perine has a tough time unseating him this season. He's more talented but I don't think Gruden is in any rush to replace Kelley.

Even in the best case scenario where he does replace Kelley, Thompson would still cut into his work. This is also a team that has been in the bottom half of rushing attempts and yards per game since Gruden took over. Ultimately, I don't see a ton of upside for him in redraft/ppr specifically. 

In a league with very shallow benches, will be hard to hold on to Perine even if I did think he may pan out as the starter.

Didn't watch the game yet but seems like Wash had to throw stay with Philly, abandoning the run. It's not like another back did better.

Want to believe, but I think it will be later rather than sooner that Perine will get consistent reps to prove himself worthy of a starter. Don't know if I have the patience to wait as opposed to leaping on a guy like Kupp, Golladay, or Cohen who look like they will contribute in the here and now.

Even if he gets the touches, can he do anything with them in this offense?
Probably not if they keep turning it over.

somebody drafted him in my main league (too early) so I'm hoping that guy gets impatient so I can pounce.  Might be mid season but there is no way Fat Rob holds him off for the whole year.

Apparently Perine is in the dog house due to his fumble in the first preseason game.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/12255/samaje-perine

You would think that he'll get some sort of shot eventually if Kelley continues to look mediocre, but to basically mothball a guy for the rest of the preseason and Week 1 because of a fumble in his very first NFL action doesn't bode well either. Either you're dealing with extremely incompetent coaching (yes) or they're not seeing enough in practice to overlook the fumble (also possibly yes).

The coaching isn't going to change for a while at least. While he's still a hold in dynasty leagues, if he doesn't get some playing time this week, I'd say it would be time to consider cutting bait unless you have deep benches.

Apparently Perine is in the dog house due to his fumble in the first preseason game.

You would think that he'll get some sort of shot eventually if Kelley continues to look mediocre, but to basically mothball a guy for the rest of the preseason and Week 1 because of a fumble in his very first NFL action doesn't bode well either. Either you're dealing with extremely incompetent coaching (yes) or they're not seeing enough in practice to overlook the fumble (also possibly yes).

The coaching isn't going to change for a while at least. While he's still a hold in dynasty leagues, if he doesn't get some playing time this week, I'd say it would be time to consider cutting bait unless you have deep benches.
Why do you say that?

I've never understood the concept of benching/dog housing a running back for a single fumble. How many QBs get benched for a single interception? If the Chiefs signed on to that kind of thinking, they'd probably have lost against NE. 

I've never understood the concept of benching/dog housing a running back for a single fumble. How many QBs get benched for a single interception? If the Chiefs signed on to that kind of thinking, they'd probably have lost against NE. 
Agreed

When asked about rookie RB Samaje Perine, coach Jay Gruden said, "We don't forget fumbles."

But apparently they can forget interceptions and "stone hand" drops...

Judging my upside here between he and J. Hill.

Perine could eventually take over...where it seems Hill is so TD dependent or injury to Mixon/Gio to really get more done in a bad cinci offense right now.

Why do you say that?
I don't think Gruden has shown much coaching acumen as a head coach and stuff like jerking Cousins around and stupidity of stuff like burying a rookie RB for a fumble in his first NFL preseason action doesn't sway me otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread