What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

timschochet's thread- Mods, please move this thread to the Politics Subforum, thank you (1 Viewer)

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I will finish the movie list and the chess tourney will be started pretty soon

wikkid, I hated all of those Pirate movies which my kids dragged me to see. I have decided that for the rest of my life I'm going to boycott anything that has pirates or vampires in it. 
Hey Tim, just wondering when you think this will be fired back up.  I've got a friend who I recruited to join the tourney this year as well (no he's not a ringer - he's about my level).

Thanks!

Hey Tim, I just thought I would ask this here...

I can tell you that in trying times some basic things have helped me get focused and turn things around: turn off tv & internet, stop all beer, exercise 3-5 times per week, contact family &a friends, travel, and.... go to Church.

For me it's not just religious, it's also connecting with my family's history, it puts me in a quiet, beautiful, big open contemplative place for an hour or so, and it helps me reset and quiet my mind.

Have you thought about getting back to Judaism or a rabbi as a source of quietude & possibly guidance from the ages?

Last edited by a moderator:

I can tell you that in trying times some basic things have helped me get focused and turn things around: turn off tv & internet, stop all beer, exercise 3-5 times per week, contact family &a friends, travel, and.... go to Church.

For me it's not just religious, it's also connecting with my family's history, it puts me in a quiet, beautiful, big open contemplative place for an hour or so, and it helps me reset and quiet my mind.

Have you thought about getting back to Judaism or a rabbi as a source of quietude & possibly guidance from the ages?
37. A Serious Man

Shirley you can't be serious. 

I celebrate Jewish holidays, particularly Passover.

But my atheism prevents me from going farther than that.

OK, continuing the countdown of my 100 favorite films:

37. The Shawshank Redemption (1994)

Directed by: Frank Darabont

Starring: Tim Robbins, Morgan Freeman, Bob Gunton

This is a lot of peoples' favorite movie from the 90s. Not mine, but I really did like it. It's pretty faithful to the Stephen King novella, with very few changes: one important change is that the novella has several different wardens, while the film features one guy, the villain played expertly by Bob Gunton. This works for the movie, as the viewer is given someone truly evil to root against. And Gunton, a fine character actor, comes through as one of the more underrated bad guys in all of cinema.

This film is also notable for being the first vehicle that I'm aware of for highlighting the extraordinary narrative skills of Morgan Freeman. Prior to this movie he was known as a terrific character actor; after this movie he was both that and a replacement of James Earl Jones as quite possibly the best voice we have.

Up next: Son, in thirty-five years of religious study, I've come up with only two hard, incontrovertible facts; there is a God, and, I'm not Him.

OK, continuing the countdown of my 100 favorite films:

37. The Shawshank Redemption (1994)

Directed by: Frank Darabont

Starring: Tim Robbins, Morgan Freeman, Bob Gunton

This is a lot of peoples' favorite movie from the 90s. Not mine, but I really did like it. It's pretty faithful to the Stephen King novella, with very few changes: one important change is that the novella has several different wardens, while the film features one guy, the villain played expertly by Bob Gunton. This works for the movie, as the viewer is given someone truly evil to root against. And Gunton, a fine character actor, comes through as one of the more underrated bad guys in all of cinema.

This film is also notable for being the first vehicle that I'm aware of for highlighting the extraordinary narrative skills of Morgan Freeman. Prior to this movie he was known as a terrific character actor; after this movie he was both that and a replacement of James Earl Jones as quite possibly the best voice we have.

Up next: Son, in thirty-five years of religious study, I've come up with only two hard, incontrovertible facts; there is a God, and, I'm not Him.
I like this movie, but have a hard time believing he kept that hole covered for whatever length of time it was. He was even in solitary a month, right? Nobody ever tossed his cell?

I like this movie, but have a hard time believing he kept that hole covered for whatever length of time it was. He was even in solitary a month, right? Nobody ever tossed his cell?
Yeah, that stretches believability, doesn't it? It was about 20 years of digging that hole.

Can you imagine - 19 years into it, and they come in one day and say "ok Andy, we're going to move you to Cellblock D"
King does mention this in the book- and there's also the possibility of Andy getting an early parole, the guards finding the hole, and he's put away for life. 

It's kind of like the shoes. How often do you look at a man's shoes...or behind the poster on his wall?

They have a scene in the movie where they do toss his cell.  He was given certain liberties b/c of the work he was doing for the warden too. 

I celebrate Jewish holidays, particularly Passover.

But my atheism prevents me from going farther than that.
We disagree on a lot of things, but on this point we agree. The fact that I wasted 30+ years of my life on religion probably makes me more vocal about not believing in it anymore. I try to limit my opinion against it towards those who feel the need to proselytize, so that those they are trying to "recruit" can hear another side of the story. Those who practice their religion in their own privacy get my respect that they deserve for exercising their religious freedom. It's the salespeople for their religion that I won't stay silent towards. 

36. Rudy (1993)

Directed by: David Anspaugh

Starring: Sean Astin, Ned Beatty, Charles S. Dutton

Inspiring but totally unbelievable football movie. We're expected to believe that all of the starters laid down their jerseys in order to get Rudy to play? Yeah right. Bob Golic, who was a star on that team, has said that he doesn't even remember Rudy! It was pretty unfair to Dan Devine too. But it worked for the movie.

You know what makes this film great though? The music. Jerry Goldsmith was well known for his themes for Hoosiers and Star Trek: The Motion Picture (which became the theme for the TV show Star Trek: The Next Generation) but this is by far his best score. In particular, the main theme and "Tryouts", and "The Final Game", which combines both, are especially inspiring- arguably for me the best use of music on screen ever. Just fantastic.

Up next: Timing isn't my strong suit.

Bob Golic, who was a star on that team, has said that he doesn't even remember Rudy!
It might make you feel better to know that is not the case.

With 27 seconds to play, Ruettiger runs onto the field, sacks the quarterback on the game's last play, and is carried off the field by teammates.

"I remember him coming out on the field," Golic recalls. "I remember the sack. It was incredible. We were all pumped, even us young guys. We knew about Rudy. We knew he was out there working his butt off. He played hard, and didn't let up just because he was supposed to. A lot of times the starting unit would say, 'Don't hit him so hard,' but he was committed to making those guys work."

35. The King's Speech (2010)

Directed by: Tom Hooper

Starring: Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush, Helena Bonham Carter

Great period piece and uplifting film about Elizabeth's dad overcoming his tendency to stutter just in time to lead England into World War II. The movie makes the interesting point that speech defects are often mental and rooted in childhood problems rather than physical. (George VI, "Bertie", was left-handed and his parents forced him to be right-handed, among other things). 

Everyone in the film is delightful, particularly Bonham Carter as the future Queen Mother, Guy Pierce as Edward (by far the best Edward VII I have ever seen on film) and Timothy Spall as Churchill. There are some historical liberties taken here- both Stanley Baldwin and Neville Chamberlain are presented in a pretty benign light given their responsibility for appeasement- but over all the whole thing is superbly done. 

Up next: I figure life's a gift and I don't intend on wasting it. You don't know what hand you're gonna get dealt next. You learn to take life as it comes at you... to make each day count.

Up next: I figure life's a gift and I don't intend on wasting it. You don't know what hand you're gonna get dealt next. You learn to take life as it comes at you... to make each day count.
Not to jump the gun, but you have got to be kidding me with this.

I am horrible with movie quotes and song lyrics.  I feel like I should know these, but rarely ever do.  For Tim's list, I just assume it's a movie I didn't like and didn't pay enough attention to pick up on them. ;)
I had to look up the quote. After @Jayrod said "You have to be kidding," I was intrigued.

35. The King's Speech (2010)

Directed by: Tom Hooper

Starring: Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush, Helena Bonham Carter

Great period piece and uplifting film about Elizabeth's dad overcoming his tendency to stutter just in time to lead England into World War II. The movie makes the interesting point that speech defects are often mental and rooted in childhood problems rather than physical. (George VI, "Bertie", was left-handed and his parents forced him to be right-handed, among other things). 

Everyone in the film is delightful, particularly Bonham Carter as the future Queen Mother, Guy Pierce as Edward (by far the best Edward VII I have ever seen on film) and Timothy Spall as Churchill. There are some historical liberties taken here- both Stanley Baldwin and Neville Chamberlain are presented in a pretty benign light given their responsibility for appeasement- but over all the whole thing is superbly done. 

I hope you have The Imitation Game in the top 34 because it is better than The King's Speech.*

*I've never seen the King's Speech. But The Imitation Game is awesome. It has to be better. And it has Keira Knightley.

One criticism I don't care for when it comes to films is that something isn't believable. It shouldn't because it's not real. My favorite anecdotes about this:

- when Hitchcock was confronted with why some obvious real life thing didn't happen in the movie, he would say "because then we wouldn't have a movie, would we?"

- I don't recall the picture but an actor approached the cinematographer about a scene being shot in a cave. He said he knew they needed lighting to be seen, but he just didn't get where the light was supposed to be coming from since caves are dark. The cinematographer said "the lights coming from the same place as the music."

Only movie I can recall where I wanted to punch the lead chick in the face.

Oh wait... just remembered Indian Jones and the Temple of Doom. Make that two. 
 But in Titanic I also wanted to punch DiCaprio and Zane, so there is that.

In the Temple of Doom it was only the chick and the kid.

Indiana Jones wins again

34. Titanic (1997)

Directed by: James Cameron

Starring: Leonardo DiCaprio, Kate Winslet, Billy Zane

Boy, this movie sure garners a lot of hate in some people. Even those who like it seem embarrassed to admit it. Not sure why. I found it vastly entertaining.

The film is basically divided into two halves: the first half is a period piece love story, corny at times but mostly done well (as a fan of British folk music I especially like the below decks dancing scene), and the cinematography is exquisite. The second half is a roller coaster ride concentrating on the half hour after the ship hits the iceberg; this is the sort of thing that Cameron excels at and the action sequences match the excitement and breathless suspense of any of his other films. There is also great poignancy, such as the sequence in which the chamber group plays their final song while we watch various tragic scenes as Titanic sinks.

This is a wonderful movie, I'm not ashamed to proclaim my love for it, and I'm proud to have it in this pretty high spot on my list.

Next up: You had the wrong kind (of orgasm)? I've never had the wrong kind, ever. My worst one was right on the money.

I'm with you - I think Titanic is great.

Yes, the love story can get a little cheesy, but it was masterful as a period piece, and really well shot. Little things, like the men going to "talk politics" after dinner w/ scotch and cigars (no ladies allowed), the clear division between classes, etc. I also liked how the Bill Paxton-part computer-simulated sinking in the beginning very effectively covered the physics and "why" of the whole thing, giving the audience a clear picture on what happened / will happen.

Very enjoyable movie - I don't get the hate either.   

I like that the love story serves as metaphor for the larger event.

The wealthy men of the Gilded Age thought they could own/control everything from nature to their women.

The macro story is the iceberg which destroyed the Gilded Age's hubris. The micro story is Jack doing the same thing to the Gilded Age hubris of Rose's fiance Cal.

The running through hypothermia-causing water gets old. But the movie just looks cool and the sinking specatcle is awesome.

The wealthy men of the Gilded Age thought they could own/control everything from nature to their women.

The macro story is the iceberg which destroyed the Gilded Age's hubris. The micro story is Jack doing the same thing to the Gilded Age hubris of Rose's fiance Cal.

The running through hypothermia-causing water gets old. But the movie just looks cool and the sinking specatcle is awesome.
Yea, seeing that ship come out of the water, giant propellers, etc - that was cool. It's nothing today, but 20 years ago (wow, is it really that old?), that was a seriously good special effect.

The Gilded Age is generally considered to have ended by 1901 at the latest and the country was fully into what was known as the Progressive era, but I like your explanation and it does give them movie a little more depth. Maybe I need to watch it again because I hated it when I saw back in the 90s. 

The Gilded Age is generally considered to have ended by 1901 at the latest and the country was fully into what was known as the Progressive era, but I like your explanation and it does give them movie a little more depth. Maybe I need to watch it again because I hated it when I saw back in the 90s. 
Huh, I guess I did not know that. :thumbup:

I had always avoided watching Titanic because I thought it was going to be a sappy love story and I already knew the ending.  I turned on my TV one Saturday afternoon last year and started watching it on HBO before I even knew what movie I was watching.  It was in the first few minutes.  I was riveted throughout and thought it was excellent.  I never should have waited so long!

Users who are viewing this thread