What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FFA Official Horror Movie Thread (1 Viewer)

I’ve seen it up close. It’s creepy af
Me too, just last November.  Wife wouldn't let me take a picture of it, I figured it wasn't worth risking pissing her off let alone the doll.

Life sized boy doll, the story behind it, the house (we tracked it down too) and the guy coming back as an adult?  Super creepy.   

I re-watched Midsommar 

Man.....it was a brutal movie. I enjoyed it more the second time around too. Caught a lot more foreshadowing. Now I need to give Hereditary another spin.

I re-watched Midsommar 

Man.....it was a brutal movie. I enjoyed it more the second time around too. Caught a lot more foreshadowing. Now I need to give Hereditary another spin.
Just watched Hereditary for the 4th time with the family and I swear we see new things every time. A lot of layers and hidden stuff in that movie. I have seem Midsommar twice--it is a very brutal watch. 

Just watched Hereditary for the 4th time with the family and I swear we see new things every time. A lot of layers and hidden stuff in that movie. I have seem Midsommar twice--it is a very brutal watch. 
Yeah Midsommar is a really good movie. It got better on the second watch....so much so I ordered the Directors cut in the 4K collectors edition. 

Hereditary was a movie that had me thinking a lot after my first watch.....I was not a huge fan because I think I went into it with the wrong expectations. Now that I now what kind of movie it is.....I am really looking forward to me second screening tomorrow. It was very creepy....but I felt I missed a lot the first time around.

Love Hereditary, one if my faves of the last few years. Recently re-watched The Witch, another of my faves. Very slow burn but I love the atmosphere. 

Hereditary was so much better the second time around. Caught a lot I had missed the first time through. Insane climax. It all came together for me like Midsommar did on the second viewing.

They are both modern horror classics in my book. Just pure creep factor on 11.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hereditary was so much better the second time around. Caught a lot I had missed the first time through. Insane climax. It all came together for me like Midsommar did on the second viewing.

They are both modern horror classics in ky book. Just pure creep factor on 11.
IMO Midsommar went a little too heavy on the foreshadowing with the pics on the walls, the tapestry as they walked by, etc...   An interesting movie experience for sure, but didn't get to me nearly as much as Hereditary did.  

I watched and really like Fried Barry on Shudder. It's probably not for everyone and I doubt I would spend much time defending it but I really liked it. 

KarmaPolice said:
IMO Midsommar went a little too heavy on the foreshadowing with the pics on the walls, the tapestry as they walked by, etc...   An interesting movie experience for sure, but didn't get to me nearly as much as Hereditary did.  
I have been listening to a podcast called Psycho Analysis. I re watched Midsommar  for an episode of this podcast. I think I liked Midsommar better on a second viewing. I am interested to hear what they say on the podcast.

It's a fun podcast that talks about various mental illness and horror. Midsommar falls under toxic and abusive relationships, lol.

I have been listening to a podcast called Psycho Analysis. I re watched Midsommar  for an episode of this podcast. I think I liked Midsommar better on a second viewing. I am interested to hear what they say on the podcast.

It's a fun podcast that talks about various mental illness and horror. Midsommar falls under toxic and abusive relationships, lol.
Interesting.  I might have to add that to my rotation of 50+ podcasts. 

I did like Midsommar a little more on 2nd viewing, but besides that opening section I still can't shake the feeling of let down after Hereditary had me by the throat for the duration of the movie.   Midsommar didn't have that tension/dread for me at all - just more messed up than anything.  

I did like Midsommar a little more on 2nd viewing, but besides that opening section I still can't shake the feeling of let down after Hereditary had me by the throat for the duration of the movie.   Midsommar didn't have that tension/dread for me at all - just more messed up than anything.  
I agree and they did touch on this in the podcast. They blame it on Peter not deserving what he got, whereas dude in bear suit did deserve what he got, in context with that world. That is a pretty dumbed down version of their explanation but it made sense to me.

Body Cam

Interesting take on a haunting/revenge story involving a police coverup. Certainly wasn’t expecting this plot and am happy for it. 3.5/5

Antebellum 

I didn’t actually know anything about this film going into it, but it’s really trying hard to be 2 different films at the same time. I did enjoy The Normal’s Warm Leatherette played in the abduction scene. 2/5

Becky

I guess this could be considered  suspense/thriller too. I would describe this as a dark Home Alone or a more extreme The Good Son in terms of violence. Kevin James’ performance could have been a lot darker imo. He was hard to take seriously, but he tried.  The big guy from Sherlock Holmes is in it too as well as Joel McHale. I liked the main character, Becky, and clearly they set this up for a potential sequel/continuation of Becky’s path on the dark side. 3/5

Watching it now and it’s weak. Disappointing, but didn’t expect much to begin with. 
Agree with you. I gave it a 5/10

Easily the weakest entry into the entire Conjuring Universe. Not horrible. But a huge disappointment. I have little desire to ever watch it again. 

Hoping to watch the 1973 Romero film The Amusement Park tonight. I guess it is a movie that was thought to be lost but was found and restored?

I don't know but I hear Romero and I am in.

Hoping to watch the 1973 Romero film The Amusement Park tonight. I guess it is a movie that was thought to be lost but was found and restored?

I don't know but I hear Romero and I am in.
I’ve heard about this one. I’m going to check it out.

I’ve heard about this one. I’m going to check it out.
I am not sure what I think about this. Initially I would say this movie was depressing. Camera work was pretty cool in my opinion. I did go to IMBD and looked up to see when Logan's Run was made. In my mind The Amusement Park led into Logan's Run. 

Amusement Park 1973, Logan's Run 1976. Hmmmmmm

We watched C3 the first night it was out and I was disappointed. You always need to suspend some sense of reality when watching this series, but at least with C1, some of the stuff that happened was believable and scary  This one, there just was too much Ed and Lorraine acting like action heroes. I seriously doubt Ed actually tried to kill Lorraine with a sledge hammer or Lorraine was pulled over a cliff in the middle of the day by two hands. It just seemed so manufactured.

Then I got to thinking though, this was the first movie from the Conjuring Universe that my family did not see in the theater. I started to wonder if the lack of immersion in the movie atmosphere caused me to just not find the scenes scary. Several times during this movie we paused for bathroom or beer breaks and I think those breaks, sort of ruined it. I have to wonder if Quiet Place 2 was on HBO Max and we saw it there, if my family would have had the same experience. We loved it in the theater and there were several jump scares that took me out of my seat--whereas I didn't even flinch in C3 at the supposed jump scare moments. 

We watched C3 the first night it was out and I was disappointed. You always need to suspend some sense of reality when watching this series, but at least with C1, some of the stuff that happened was believable and scary  This one, there just was too much Ed and Lorraine acting like action heroes. I seriously doubt Ed actually tried to kill Lorraine with a sledge hammer or Lorraine was pulled over a cliff in the middle of the day by two hands. It just seemed so manufactured.

Then I got to thinking though, this was the first movie from the Conjuring Universe that my family did not see in the theater. I started to wonder if the lack of immersion in the movie atmosphere caused me to just not find the scenes scary. Several times during this movie we paused for bathroom or beer breaks and I think those breaks, sort of ruined it. I have to wonder if Quiet Place 2 was on HBO Max and we saw it there, if my family would have had the same experience. We loved it in the theater and there were several jump scares that took me out of my seat--whereas I didn't even flinch in C3 at the supposed jump scare moments. 
I also watched it at home. Seems as though I am the outlier who enjoyed it. There were a few scares in there that I absolutely think would have had you jumping in the theater. Sadly those scares were cheats as they would have cranked the volume to get you to jump. I really do not like that in a movie. I really did enjoy the film. I find their relationship to be the center of the film and I find myself jealous of it. 

The Wolf of Snow Hollow - enjoyed it more than I expected, sorta like The Howling meets Fargo.  Offbeat humor and the lead won me over after a shaky start (he's also the director.) Fun watch.

St. Maud

Solid psychological thriller/horror. Not overly scary, more of a brooding atmospheric character study (lean runtime at just under 90 minutes.) The lead is very good. Think it's the first time I've ever seen someone have a Godasm(!) before. Worth a watch. I saw it on EPIX. 

The Empty Man - HBO MAX

Great opening (20 minute prologue but I loved it), strong cinematography and I really like the lead. Felt like 3 different horror sub-genres meshed together. Didn't always work but I enjoyed the ride.

Some recommendations: 

Netflix - The Fear Street Trilogy - I felt an excellent nod to the slashers of the 80’s and early 90’s. Lot’s of nice nod’s to the original Friday The 13th, The Scream series etc. Great acting, a fun story. It starts in the 1990’s, then goes back to 1978 then all the way back to 1666 with an origin story. A fun well made trilogy. Enjoyed it immensely for what it is. 

Netflix - A Classic Horror Story (Italian with subtitles) - Really creepy slasher, phycological thriller. I won’t say anything else. Just watch it.

Shudder 

1. Lake Bodom - Finnish and it was really good. Check it out!!

2. Haunt - This is the second time I watched this insane psycho slasher set in an “underground off the beaten path" type Haunted House. Really well done. College kids go to a Haunted House from a flyer one of them found. Some crazy stuff and I enjoyed it a lot. Well acted and surprised this never made it into a theater. It was that good IMO.

Fear Street was good, but man the first half of the movie tried to hard to cram every pop song made in 1994 down our throats.

Just saw the new Candyman. I went in with low expectations because of who co-directed it. I didn't like Get Out or Us and I already knew this movie was going to be heavy on the racism angle after seeing reviews.  I went because my wife was so excited to see this and she is a huge fan of the first one. 

I have to say I liked it more than she did. I think it did a great job incorporating the old movie perfectly into the plot. Granted, it basically pretends that Part 2 or 3 never were made. The kills and gore  were great. I loved the way it was filmed--it felt very M. Nightish with the weird camera angles. Yes it had many moments of white people=bad, especially since every white person in the movie is either bad or just offered as a victim, but it was balanced and not overwhelming.  

i liked the movie and I think it added depth to the original movie and legend. 

I think Candyman is worth a theater visit if you're doing that kind of thing, especially if you are a fan of the original. The gore is really amped up this round. It's shot in really interesting ways - the whole movie looks great. I actually wanted about ten more minutes of story line/mythology. Act 2 feels rushed, and the climax is clunky.

Don''t Breathe 2--okay dropped the 19.99 for PPV on this one because we loved the first one.

I am not messing around with spoiler tags, but I won't give the plot away.

How can I put it mildly--this movie stunk. This movie acts like that first one doesn't exist at all. Even the info on the movie is something like "A blind veteran trying to save his daughter from ruthless criminals" or something to that effect. Hello!! Doesn't anyone remember the first movie? This guy was an insane maniac who held a woman hostage in his basement (it doesn't matter his motive). where he raped and impregnated her with a turkey baster. This guy is not a war hero to be pulling for. 

I thought for sure (again remembering how the first one ended) I knew right where this movie would go, but no, just a strange detour into some random plot that made zero sense and had nothing to do with nothing.  I mean, if I wrote this screenplay, it would have been great. It was so obvious where to take this sequel, but to basically go where it went-----frustrating. This movie has senseless violence against women and animals to boot.

I should have just bought some scratch off tickets with that 19.99--at least I might have gotten something good.

Kandisha

Interesting story of a ghost’s revenge on men called by a girl who was attacked by an ex-boyfriend. 3.5/5

Don''t Breathe 2--okay dropped the 19.99 for PPV on this one because we loved the first one.

How can I put it mildly--this movie stunk. This movie acts like that first one doesn't exist at all. Even the info on the movie is something like "A blind veteran trying to save his daughter from ruthless criminals" or something to that effect. Hello!! Doesn't anyone remember the first movie? This guy was an insane maniac who held a woman hostage in his basement (it doesn't matter his motive). where he raped and impregnated her with a turkey baster. This guy is not a war hero to be pulling for. 

I thought for sure (again remembering how the first one ended) I knew right where this movie would go, but no, just a strange detour into some random plot that made zero sense and had nothing to do with nothing.  I mean, if I wrote this screenplay, it would have been great. It was so obvious where to take this sequel, but to basically go where it went-----frustrating. This movie has senseless violence against women and animals to boot.

I should have just bought some scratch off tickets with that 19.99--at least I might have gotten something good.
Was hoping for a better film, but what can you do? I’ll shelve this one for a while. 

Could not agree more. First one was creative and unique. Even as a standalone movie this one was average.

You Should Have Left

Movie starring Kevin Bacon. It’s more suspenseful than anything else I suppose, but it’s kind of a weird self-destruction piece set in a home in Wales. Reminded me of the White Christmas Black Mirror episode. 3.5/5

Going to watch Malignant tonight on HBO Max. New horror movie from James Wan, so I have some higher expectations of being spooked. 

Going to watch Malignant tonight on HBO Max. New horror movie from James Wan, so I have some higher expectations of being spooked. 
I did not like it. I almost bailed several times but they did have enough tricks to keep me watching. Super annoying soundtrack and so much more I did not care for.

steelerfan1 said:
What did you think totem? I wouldn’t exactly call it a classic…
No absolutely not. This was a left turn for James Wan. He went in that David Lynch/David Cronenberg kinda territory but not really. 

prosopis said:
I did not like it. I almost bailed several times but they did have enough tricks to keep me watching. Super annoying soundtrack and so much more I did not care for.
My wife and I hung on to see the twist (which was a good one I will admit) but yeah this is not a film I will ever watch again. 

Swing and a miss for Mr Wan here. 

5.5/10

Malignant--so the wife and I were really stoked for this one. However, I pretty much had the plot twist figured out ten minutes into the movie (but I had no idea the level of it when it was finally revealed I must say).

It was a weird, weird movie. It had some good scary moments. My daughter noted that the dialogue and the way it was filmed, sometimes looked like it was made for tv. 

I will just say that once it got going, the body count was something that might make John Wick blush.  The violence and gore was quite good and appreciated.

It was just an odd movie that seemed like the studio said, 'Okay James you made us a bunch of money with the Conjuring Universe. Now we will indulge your little side project here." 

Malignant--so the wife and I were really stoked for this one. However, I pretty much had the plot twist figured out ten minutes into the movie (but I had no idea the level of it when it was finally revealed I must say).

It was a weird, weird movie. It had some good scary moments. My daughter noted that the dialogue and the way it was filmed, sometimes looked like it was made for tv. 

I will just say that once it got going, the body count was something that might make John Wick blush.  The violence and gore was quite good and appreciated.

It was just an odd movie that seemed like the studio said, 'Okay James you made us a bunch of money with the Conjuring Universe. Now we will indulge your little side project here." 
Agree. He went in a totally different direction and I think it is quite obvious, now that I have thought about it.....he has a heavy Lynch/Cronenberg influence in him that really came out in the movie.

It is worth a watch. It was well filmed and acted. But it is not a movie that I would be going back to really. 

Malignant is pretty much an early 80's movie retold  but in a different way, but I wont say which movie because it would be a massive spoiler but  I liked it overall.

Finally saw Host also, Shudder version. I loved it. Typical jump scares but still intense.

Users who are viewing this thread