What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

AFC Wildcard Game: Ravens @ Steelers (1 Viewer)

Fire Haley even though Ben led the league in passing yards, AB led in receiving yards and Bell was the best all around back in the NFL. Two 6 TD passing games from Ben and team won a division that had 3 teams make the playoffs

Flacco with 100+ QB rating in 5 straight playoff games, beating Luck, Manning, Brady, Kaepernick, and Roethlisberger in that stretch.
Yeah but he sucks, so that can't be possible.
The Eli Manning effect, always great in the playoffs... always considered "lucky" for his playoff performances. Some people just know how to rise to the occasion under pressure. Is Flacco worth the money he's making? No, he really isn't... mainly because he's rarely a part of what gets them into the playoffs. But he always elevates his play in the playoffs. Unlike most of the guys who are in his price-range. Peyton, Romo, Ryan, Kaep, Cutler who seem to all to often choke in the playoffs (or in Ryan, Kaep and Cutler's case also in the regular season).
Hasn't the 'clutch' bullcrap been debunked? That's a fan myth.
How exactly can that be debunked? All I know is I've seen some pretty mediocre regular season QBs in Flacco and Eli put up record breaking postseason stats in their careers. And I've seen record breaking regular season QBs in Peyton and Romo choke time after time in the postseason. I fully believe that being clutch and choking is a legit thing. Not to mention, it's simple psychology. Some people deal with high pressure situations better than others.

Seriously one question, why can't the league train people in their 20s & 30s to officiate. Not even talking about tonights game, sick of seeing gray haired em effers on the field.
Yeah, I've always wondered this myself. Why are almost all the officials like 50+ years old with obviously declining eye sight? Why not get some 25 year old ex-airforce pilots or something who have 20-10 vision out on the field who can actually observe things in high speed with clarity?
I am just stunned this doesn't come up more but godell knows everything so refs may actually get older.

Flacco with 100+ QB rating in 5 straight playoff games, beating Luck, Manning, Brady, Kaepernick, and Roethlisberger in that stretch.
The Eli Manning effect, always great in the playoffs... always considered "lucky" for his playoff performances. Some people just know how to rise to the occasion under pressure. Is Flacco worth the money he's making? No, he really isn't... mainly because he's rarely a part of what gets them into the playoffs. But he always elevates his play in the playoffs. Unlike most of the guys who are in his price-range. Peyton, Romo, Ryan, Kaep, Cutler who seem to all to often choke in the playoffs (or in Ryan, Kaep and Cutler's case also in the regular season).
How exactly can that be debunked? All I know is I've seen some pretty mediocre regular season QBs in Flacco and Eli put up record breaking postseason stats in their careers. And I've seen record breaking regular season QBs in Peyton and Romo choke time after time in the postseason. I fully believe that being clutch and choking is a legit thing. Not to mention, it's simple psychology. Some people deal with high pressure situations better than others.
What record breaking stats has Eli put up in the postseason? His postseason passer rating is 89.3, which is very good, but not great or record-breaking.

Also, you do realize that tons of regular season games are high pressure ones, right? Maybe if Eli was better in them, he'd make the playoffs more often. Yes, he has two SB wins, but he has zero playoff wins in every other season combined.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fire Haley even though Ben led the league in passing yards, AB led in receiving yards and Bell was the best all around back in the NFL. Two 6 TD passing games from Ben and team won a division that had 3 teams make the playoffs
No I was a Haley hater but I can't discount what this off did. Def lost this game tonight

Well the whole idea of "clutch" has been debunked in other sports. Tough to do in football because the sample size is so small. But then it also depends on what you define as clutch? Romo actually has great 4th quarter and December stats.

Seriously one question, why can't the league train people in their 20s & 30s to officiate. Not even talking about tonights game, sick of seeing gray haired em effers on the field.
Yeah, I've always wondered this myself. Why are almost all the officials like 50+ years old with obviously declining eye sight? Why not get some 25 year old ex-airforce pilots or something who have 20-10 vision out on the field who can actually observe things in high speed with clarity?
I am just stunned this doesn't come up more but godell knows everything so refs may actually get older.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2012/09/20/nfl-referee-career-replacement-officials/1581299/

Steelers two point conversions have been great under Tomlin, his 2008 playoff especially. Steelers lost by 2 to the Jags at home. Two 4th quarter 2 pt tries, one from the 12 yard line and the other one failing, leading to the Jags kicker hitting a FG with under 3 minutes to left to give Jacksonville the win.

Well the whole idea of "clutch" has been debunked in other sports. Tough to do in football because the sample size is so small. But then it also depends on what you define as clutch? Romo actually has great 4th quarter and December stats.
This is what I was referring to. Small sample size in football and easily digestible media narratives combine to have these fan beliefs that aren't actually true.

If the league went to younger refs then everyone would complain about these crappy refs needing more experience. They are human and make mistakes, they aren't watching replays, and remember the old saying the hand is quicker than the eye. They have to watch several things all at once, and decide whether to call a penalty and then make sure they follow the rules that change every year. I think they did a fine job today.

Ravens won in PGH. I hate the Ravens but good luck against NE. Can't believe it might be the last game for Ike, Troy, Brett K, and Harrison. Super Bowl 40 will be long gone aside from Ben and Heath. Please beat NE, let Suggs intercept 3 passes between his legs, he's never cheated.

GG Ravens and congrats to the Ravens fans on this board.

I still hate your team and all their smug faces :rant:

Congrats, Ravens. Much better team last night and well deserved win.

Hopefully that killer pass rush shows up in NE next week. Good luck.

Ravens were the better team last night. They outperformed the Steelers and were deserving winners. They'll give the Patriots a good game. Should be fun to watch. I dislike both teams.

This is what I was referring to. Small sample size in football and easily digestible media narratives combine to have these fan beliefs that aren't actually true.
There is no doubt that "clutch" play or "choking" are real. These are people - not machines, and while some can sustain their level of play, the pressure or spot-light is sure to have an effect on performance.

ETA: Difficulty trying to quantify it doesn't equate to non-existence.

Okay, but the problem is always the people who want to act like the playoffs are the only big games, as if there is no such thing as a big game in the regular season.

Take Romo for example. Dallas had a bunch of big games down the stretch, and Romo played extremely well in all of them except the Thanksgiving debacle, yet if he loses today, some will inevitably bust out the tired old "he can't play well when it counts" line, as if you can just get to 12-4 without winning a bunch of big games.

Plus, the playoffs are such a small sample size, and when you take into account the many variables in every game that the QB has no control over, it makes it even sillier to judge quarterbacks mainly, or even largely, on their postseason record or success. It's part of the equation, but it's not everything.

If you don't want to believe it's been largely debunked by the Bill Barnwells with all the data we have available in 2015 then you just don't want to believe it, imo. Not only did Eli not win a playoff game in the non-SB years but he was dreadful in the losses. SF muffed punts as NYG's was doing nothing & his D held NE under 20.

There's also the fun "what if Brady had his exact same career in reverse chronological order" game...his clutch narrative would be a lot different. First impressions matter.

Flacco though man, I might grant him exception status if he lights up NE next week, ha. 3 decisive W's and a Lee Evans drop from 4-0 in that stadium would be pretty gross.

There is no doubt that "clutch" play or "choking" are real. These are people - not machines, and while some can sustain their level of play, the pressure or spot-light is sure to have an effect on performance.

ETA: Difficulty trying to quantify it doesn't equate to non-existence.
No but it may be an indication that your belief should be challenged. Statistics are the only real way to evaluate sports performance. It's harder in football. Beliefs are formed with a few data points. Then all the future data points are tainted by that belief.

Users who are viewing this thread