What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Tevin Coleman, SF (1 Viewer)

Looking like a McKinnon 80% Hasty 20% type game
If Coleman is out,  Hasty will get the lions share of carries for sure. McKinnon will catch some screens and do more in the passing game than running game. 

Shanahan wants to run the ball 30+ times a game. I see Hasty with 20ish carries, McKinnon with 8-12, and a few sweeps with WRs and Kittle.

If Coleman plays, I see him used sparingly. Somewhere around 8-10 carries with Hasty getting 15-18, McKinnon 5-8, as well as those sweeps.

If Coleman plays, I see him used sparingly. Somewhere around 8-10 carries with Hasty getting 15-18, McKinnon 5-8, as well as those sweeps.
With Tevin getting a "heavy workload" at practice this week, I don't see this happening.  Just need his knee to hold up fine, I guess we will know more today after practice reports are revealed.

With Tevin getting a "heavy workload" at practice this week, I don't see this happening.  Just need his knee to hold up fine, I guess we will know more today after practice reports are revealed.
I feel like if he's active, he's not going to be worked in...he's going to be worked hard.

Shanahan gave both Mostert and Wilson a heavy load the second they got back from injury.

And I don't think he's going to change. Dr's say your good to go, get in there and go.

I feel like if he's active, he's not going to be worked in...he's going to be worked hard.

Shanahan gave both Mostert and Wilson a heavy load the second they got back from injury.

And I don't think he's going to change. Dr's say your good to go, get in there and go.
I agree, but I'm a Tevin owner and need a big game to stay in playoff contention, so I am most likely looking at this with Coleman colored glasses.

Hasty will see nowhere near 20 carries lol
We will see. I hope Pete Carroll and Ken Norton agree with you and aren't ready for the Hasty show.

And for the record, I said IF Coleman is out, Hasty will get 20. If Coleman plays, he will get less.

Last edited by a moderator:

The problem is Coleman kinda sucks and has never been a workhorse RB for Shanahan. Hes only had 20 carries once as a 49er and that was last year in the mud game vs Washington. Last year, with the O-line owning every defensive line it faced, he averaged less than 4 yards a carry. I get that he's ahead on the depth chart over McKinnon and Hasty, but I just don't think he will be effective enough to warrant the bulk of the carries.

The problem is Coleman kinda sucks and has never been a workhorse RB for Shanahan. Hes only had 20 carries once as a 49er and that was last year in the mud game vs Washington. Last year, with the O-line owning every defensive line it faced, he averaged less than 4 yards a carry. I get that he's ahead on the depth chart over McKinnon and Hasty, but I just don't think he will be effective enough to warrant the bulk of the carries.
Yeah, I said he would get volume.

That unfortunately doesn't mean he'll be effective.

I'm not starting him this week. Fortunate I don't have to. 

Shanny is like his Dad, if you're cleared to play, you play full on.

Leaning towards starting him over La'Mical Perine in a PPR league this week, in a bad, dark, scary place for my RB2 with Byes and CMC not going.

Coleman has gone from "Outside/Might get a chance" to "Niners gave him a heavy workload in practice"

That sounds like they want to use Coleman as much as possible...what that amounts to in production or snaps/Touches I'm not sure but it seems to be trending towards Coleman and we are only at Friday. 

Keep Hasty and McKinnon on stand by but if Coleman is clear to play...follow the money, they pay him like $4M+ which is a lot these days for a RB, they want to use Coleman if they can. Sure they want to use the RB that gives them the best chance to win, there's no argument anyone can make agains that. ALL THAT SAID, these decisions were made a while back when they financially committed and have kept Coleman on the roster and into this season despite what you and I might think from our couches. 

All I'm saying is let's get out of the clouds and deal a little bit in reality for a minute.  

(MOP, don't your Phins carry a $5M a yr do nothing  RB too...) 😆

Coleman has gone from "Outside/Might get a chance" to "Niners gave him a heavy workload in practice"

That sounds like they want to use Coleman as much as possible...what that amounts to in production or snaps/Touches I'm not sure but it seems to be trending towards Coleman and we are only at Friday. 

Keep Hasty and McKinnon on stand by but if Coleman is clear to play...follow the money, they pay him like $4M+ which is a lot these days for a RB, they want to use Coleman if they can. Sure they want to use the RB that gives them the best chance to win, there's no argument anyone can make agains that. ALL THAT SAID, these decisions were made a while back when they financially committed and have kept Coleman on the roster and into this season despite what you and I might think from our couches. 

All I'm saying is let's get out of the clouds and deal a little bit in reality for a minute.  

(MOP, don't your Phins carry a $5M a yr do nothing  RB too...) 😆
Agreed. And I'm not happy about it. Probably rolling with Hasty in a couple spots regardless.

Agreed. And I'm not happy about it. Probably rolling with Hasty in a couple spots regardless.
Agreed. Coleman hasn't played since week 2, so to imagine he gets more than 8-10 touches is unrealistic. McKinnon shot his loads earlier in the year, so I'm still bullish on Hasty this week. Next game is a totally different story. 

Coleman a Kyle guy,  that's why he's still here. It certainly isn't because of production, and hes overpaid IMO. He's a decent chess piece (blitz pickup and he can catch) but he's not a guy you can count on to carry the load, even just for one game. Seattles defense is bad enough that Coleman might look fantastic Sunday...but I just don't see it.

Hasty is the play this week.

Last edited by a moderator:
As someone who has to decide between Hasty and Coleman, the one thing I'm leaning toward is that most of Coleman's career with the 49ers, he has nearly always split carries.  Given Hasty's recent play, I'm leaning his way.

I deserve whatever I get for investing in these players!

Agreed. Coleman hasn't played since week 2, so to imagine he gets more than 8-10 touches is unrealistic. McKinnon shot his loads earlier in the year, so I'm still bullish on Hasty this week. Next game is a totally different story. 
I think this offense and who plays is a week by week situation.  Normally I wouldn't want any part of it but since its so dang productive is good to have a piece.  I have to roll with hasty this week and hopefully he produces so much its an easy call for the coaches next week.  

I think this offense and who plays is a week by week situation.  Normally I wouldn't want any part of it but since its so dang productive is good to have a piece.  I have to roll with hasty this week and hopefully he produces so much its an easy call for the coaches next week.  
Don't you have Damien Harris to roll out there, pantherclub?

Had to replace AJones this week and Hasty was my leading choice.  Coleman being active throws a major wrench in this.  

Had to replace AJones this week and Hasty was my leading choice.  Coleman being active throws a major wrench in this.  
Have everybody seemingly on bye in two leagues and I'd fired up Hasty, too. Yes, wrench in the works for sure. I might actually sort of have to start Preston Williams or Jakobi Meyers, both of which are better off left sitting on a bench (Meyers especially since I just acquired the guy off of his set-the-world-afire four catch game). Travis Homer has snuck into play as a desperation RB. Ooh baby.  

Why do people think Coleman will be eased back in. That isn't how Shanahan has typically operated. I think if he wasn't ready for the whole load they wouldn't have activated him this week. That's why they gave him a heavy workload in practice prior to activating him.

What also surprises me is that people think that Hasty, an udfa who started the season as the rb5, will be the feature back when they have two other rbs active.

Coleman activated off IR, hes playing Sunday
I don't like to ##### about players but I just don't get it with this guy. Every other SF RB seems to produce crazy numbers yet this bum keeps getting trotted out there by Shanny looking very average compared to practice squad guys that come off a couch and produce...... I have seen this situation 3 times and only one has changed.

Packers- for years he was called and looked like Jamawful Williams but he has really looked good the last few years

Ravens- I thought Alex Collins looked like the real deal but they kept trotting Buck Allen out there, very frustrating

49'ers- insert anyone in this system and they produce except Coleman. I don't get why he keeps getting looks with what other lesser RB's have been able to do

Why do people think Coleman will be eased back in. That isn't how Shanahan has typically operated. I think if he wasn't ready for the whole load they wouldn't have activated him this week. That's why they gave him a heavy workload in practice prior to activating him.

What also surprises me is that people think that Hasty, an udfa who started the season as the rb5, will be the feature back when they have two other rbs active.
Has Coleman ever looked as good as Hasty running the ball....... No Coleman sucks.....

Has Coleman ever looked as good as Hasty running the ball....... No Coleman sucks.....
I agree with you that Coleman hasn't looked great. Every other back on this team has looked better than him at some point, but that doesn't seem to matter than much. Shanahan keeps going back to him when he's healthy. 

Also, Hasty only really got involved last week after Wilson got hurt. Even then they were giving carries to the fullback and Deebo. My point is, I may have missed it, but I have seen no evidence that SF wants Hasty to be "the guy" this week. Now that Coleman is activated, I think we either see a a lot Coleman or Coleman/Hasty/McKinnon combo. Hasty having the most prominent role just seems like the most unlikely situation for me, outside of Coleman reinjuring himself. 

I agree with you that Coleman hasn't looked great. Every other back on this team has looked better than him at some point, but that doesn't seem to matter than much. Shanahan keeps going back to him when he's healthy. 

Also, Hasty only really got involved last week after Wilson got hurt. Even then they were giving carries to the fullback and Deebo. My point is, I may have missed it, but I have seen no evidence that SF wants Hasty to be "the guy" this week. Now that Coleman is activated, I think we either see a a lot Coleman or Coleman/Hasty/McKinnon combo. Hasty having the most prominent role just seems like the most unlikely situation for me, outside of Coleman reinjuring himself. 
I own Hasty but in no way would start him this week. I HAVE to start him next week with people on byes. So I’m hoping it becomes more clear. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u9wXsG1SIU

Looked good last year when he wasn't banged up (which is a problem). Has a nose for the end zone as well. And, they love him for his pass blocking.
I watched about half of that and I'm sorry but nothing was very impressive. Bottom line is Shanny is an offensive genius and he has made average RB's look like all pros. Compare apples to apples, Coleman is garbage compared to anything else SF has trotted out there as an NFL RB.

I watched about half of that and I'm sorry but nothing was very impressive. Bottom line is Shanny is an offensive genius and he has made average RB's look like all pros. Compare apples to apples, Coleman is garbage compared to anything else SF has trotted out there as an NFL RB.
Speed, great zone running, no hesitation behind the line of scrimmage, very fast to the hole... if nothing looked impressive, then you and I don't exist on the same planet.

Speed, great zone running, no hesitation behind the line of scrimmage, very fast to the hole... if nothing looked impressive, then you and I don't exist on the same planet.
Maybe I'm a little jaded but everything he seemed to get was laid out in front of him and nothing was really earned in my opinion.

I will always admit when I'm wrong, case in point Jamaal Williams looked like garbage for 2 years,  somehow he has looked impressive the last 2 years. IMO there is a problem when every other RB produces like a superstar in the Shanny system but Coleman looks very average at best.

Maybe I'm a little jaded but everything he seemed to get was laid out in front of him and nothing was really earned in my opinion.
Yeah, I think I understand where you're coming from. I don't think he's the type of running back that could produde with a bad offensive line.

Same for Jamaal Williams, outside of his elite pass catching skills.

Wise Old Owl said:

And you sir are a Wise Old Owl

Yeah I have no faith in Hasty this week whatsoever. Maybe 5 carries and lucky for a couple targets. But I probably have to trot him out there in a couple spots. Rough.

Yeah I have no faith in Hasty this week whatsoever. Maybe 5 carries and lucky for a couple targets. But I probably have to trot him out there in a couple spots. Rough.
Are you a Dynasty owner that has stripped the walls bare. like the Phins last year?

That sounds like a miserable situation, sorry amigo.

Are you a Dynasty owner that has stripped the walls bare. like the Phins last year?

That sounds like a miserable situation, sorry amigo.
No, my dynasties are all competing pretty strong right now. I have a couple redrafts where I have Gibson, Robinson on bye and A Jones out, along with Mostert and CMC. In some combination that forces me to start Hasty. Or whatever other nonsense I can find.

Is McKinnon even worth the roster spot now?

If I can’t start him this week, when will I ever start him?
I think you need to wait and see but this tired legs thing may just be, he is pretty much washed. He did not really get that much use for those few weeks. Really sad, Jet was my #1 sleeper going into the season knowing Mostert would be missing time but it has not worked out.

I think you need to wait and see but this tired legs thing may just be, he is pretty much washed. He did not really get that much use for those few weeks. Really sad, Jet was my #1 sleeper going into the season knowing Mostert would be missing time but it has not worked out.
One of mine too

I have Mostert on IR. Think I should pickup TC? He’s been such a trash bag for the past year, except for the divisional round last year. But even 5th stringers are pinball machines in that offense.

I’d have to drop another backup RB (M Brown or N Hines or J McKissic) so low entry fee. Full PPR, won’t use any of them unless I have 3-4 RBs go down. No brainer, right?

I have Mostert on IR. Think I should pickup TC? He’s been such a trash bag for the past year, except for the divisional round last year. But even 5th stringers are pinball machines in that offense.

I’d have to drop another backup RB (M Brown or N Hines or J McKissic) so low entry fee. Full PPR, won’t use any of them unless I have 3-4 RBs go down. No brainer, right?
Have Mostert as well and had Coleman on the roster. Just had to drop him to get a damn kicker. I kept L. Perine instead of Coleman. In your case, I'd drop Hines for Coleman. Hoping I can get Coleman back (or not if its the Hasty show today).

I'm the wrong one to ask as I have trashed Coleman to a great extent. I would rather lose without Coleman than win with him 😜. I'm hoping Hasty has earned the chance to be the guy.

I'm the wrong one to ask as I have trashed Coleman to a great extent. I would rather lose without Coleman than win with him 😜. I'm hoping Hasty has earned the chance to be the guy.
JH has looked great. Not that he's doing anything special, he's had huge holes and they have been scheming him great opportunities, but he looks dynamic as hell with fresh legs. I can't say the same about Coleman since his early Falcons days.

IDK I've been guilty of a doing too much Rosterbation lately, probably let TC rot on the wire. If Raheem gets healthy I think he's the one to own, if not, I have other options.

Have Mostert as well and had Coleman on the roster. Just had to drop him to get a damn kicker. I kept L. Perine instead of Coleman. In your case, I'd drop Hines for Coleman. Hoping I can get Coleman back (or not if its the Hasty show today).
I've been asking myself all year why I am rostering Hines. JT still gets a lot of work on third down and in negative game scripts when they are behind (the kind of games you would expect Nyheim to get a ton of garbage points.) If the starter goes down, Wilkins will get a lot of the work on the first two downs. Def limited value at this point, probably the best bet if I do make the move.

My updated prediction:

Coleman gets 12-17 carries 

Hasty gets 10-15 carries

McKinnon gets 3-6 carries

Non RBs get 3-4 carries

Tevin Coleman (knee) has been ruled out for Week 9 against the Packers. 

Speaking Tuesday, coach Kyle Shanahan said that Coleman will be out a "little bit of time," but he has avoided injured reserve for the time being. Shanahan expects practice squad RB Austin Walter to be promoted behind JaMycal Hasty and Jerick McKinnon. Hasty will be the strongest fantasy play against the Packers' struggling defense, with McKinnon offering low-end FLEX appeal in PPR leagues. For his part, injury-prone and ineffective Coleman is a tenuous hold in 10-12 team leagues with injury and bye week roster crunches mounting. 

RELATED: 

JaMycal Hasty

, Jerick McKinnon

SOURCE: Nick Wagoner on Twitter 

Nov 3, 2020, 4:10 PM ET

Tevin Coleman (knee) did not practice on Wednesday.

A knee injury forced Coleman to injured reserve earlier in the season, then again sidelined him during Week 8. After missed last week's game against the Packers, it appears Coleman will continue to be sidelined for a bit longer. Jerick McKinnon and JaMycal Hasty will likely share the backfield against the Saints on Sunday.

Nov 11, 2020, 7:57 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread