What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Home-owners...What are your current projects? (3 Viewers)

Crawled around in the attic yesterday, swimming in blown insulation to install the OTA antenna. Bellying up under the lowest portion to fish the cable was especially fun. Ran the cable down into the MBR directly below and put a plate in the ceiling and conduit down the corner. I could have fished it down the wall but it would have been a major PITA. Plugged into the MBR's wall plate and then took that feed off the splitter and plugged it into the input down at the ground level junction box. Running a pre-amp as well so everything seems to be good on the TV front. On a side note, I had previously taken off the cable run to where the cable modem was so that it ran direct from the input from the street. Improved my Internet speeds from 60% of advertised to 110% of advertised. If you're not getting good cable internet speeds make sure the line you are on is either run separately (not split) or amplified.
Ugh. I agree that has to be my least favorite thing to do around a house. It's scary up there.
I refuse to do work in the attic in the summer. Nope. Sorry. Not happening. Too hot, too many critters.
My armor

Check Pinterest for pantry ideas
Thanks. While my built in pantry was ancient, my kitchen cabinets were redone just a few years ago. I removed a free standing pantry cabinet to make more space. It's been used for storage in my garage. The whole thing was a lazy susan on the inside. I think that spinning hardware is going into one side of this space and shelving like Fat Nick suggested on the other side.

Of course Pinterest has the girls wanting decoupaged recipes and pictures of food on the pantry walls. ;)

I didn't work on this last night. I have to get on it today. Leaving town Saturday. Feeling lazy.

How much would/should you pay to have yard waste and construction trash hauled to the dump? Say an open 20 foot trailer fully loaded.
In NY it's blood money. $850 for a 15 yard dumpster which you can't really leave unattended because every a hole in a 20 block radius will dump their garbage in it. And no subs want to remove their own trash. It's irritating.
Okay, guess I can't complain about this guy wanting $300 bucks even though I said no thanks. The middle of the desert is hardly NY for this kind of job. I considered the hourly rate. He'd have loaded and dumped in an hour if he worked hard. I have a truck, it's just five loads with it. So I'm renting a similar trailer to $300guy's from Uhaul for 19.99 tomorrow.

No clever pantry ideas from you mooks, eh? I have to work on this tonight. My current pantry is the dining room.
While it might be a bit on the high side, I don't think $300 is out of the realm for what you describe. Especially if the dump fee (if any) is included.

It sounds like you are doing it yourself, so when you are done and the trailer is returned/etc, tell us honestly how much you would do the same job for (not saying this to be snarky - I'm actually interested. There have been times I did something myself, and found I'd rather just pay to have it done, even if it seemed high. For example, cleaning gutters... I'll pay the $150 rather than get up there, unscrew all the gutter guards, and do it myself.)
I live in NJ...I don't know why yard waste is SO expensive to get rid of. We've got 2.5 acres, but no woods, so I have nowhere to dump leaves, hedge clippings, old tree branches, etc. I usually cut anything substantial down to firewood size, and pile the rest behind my shed. I have a chipper now, but before I did, I paid 1-800-Junk like $350 to come take that pile away. Nowhere near a 20-ft trailer size, but I was shocked at how expensive it is.

The chipper is awesome as it'll grind up most anything I can't turn into fire wood, but it's LOUD and a pain to get out all the time.

To put it in perspective, I filled one of those Bagster bags with scrap and old decking and they came and took it away for $180. That bag was FULL and WAY heavier than yard waste.
Isn't that what fires are for? :thumbup:

GB living in Alabama.

Sand said:
How much would/should you pay to have yard waste and construction trash hauled to the dump? Say an open 20 foot trailer fully loaded.
In NY it's blood money. $850 for a 15 yard dumpster which you can't really leave unattended because every a hole in a 20 block radius will dump their garbage in it. And no subs want to remove their own trash. It's irritating.
Okay, guess I can't complain about this guy wanting $300 bucks even though I said no thanks. The middle of the desert is hardly NY for this kind of job. I considered the hourly rate. He'd have loaded and dumped in an hour if he worked hard. I have a truck, it's just five loads with it. So I'm renting a similar trailer to $300guy's from Uhaul for 19.99 tomorrow.

No clever pantry ideas from you mooks, eh? I have to work on this tonight. My current pantry is the dining room.
While it might be a bit on the high side, I don't think $300 is out of the realm for what you describe. Especially if the dump fee (if any) is included.

It sounds like you are doing it yourself, so when you are done and the trailer is returned/etc, tell us honestly how much you would do the same job for (not saying this to be snarky - I'm actually interested. There have been times I did something myself, and found I'd rather just pay to have it done, even if it seemed high. For example, cleaning gutters... I'll pay the $150 rather than get up there, unscrew all the gutter guards, and do it myself.)
I live in NJ...I don't know why yard waste is SO expensive to get rid of. We've got 2.5 acres, but no woods, so I have nowhere to dump leaves, hedge clippings, old tree branches, etc. I usually cut anything substantial down to firewood size, and pile the rest behind my shed. I have a chipper now, but before I did, I paid 1-800-Junk like $350 to come take that pile away. Nowhere near a 20-ft trailer size, but I was shocked at how expensive it is.

The chipper is awesome as it'll grind up most anything I can't turn into fire wood, but it's LOUD and a pain to get out all the time.

To put it in perspective, I filled one of those Bagster bags with scrap and old decking and they came and took it away for $180. That bag was FULL and WAY heavier than yard waste.
Isn't that what fires are for? :thumbup:

GB living in Alabama.
I was raised south of the Mason-Dixon, now living in NJ. You have no idea how many things I miss about the South. Not to say NJ is completely crappy, because we do like it here, but you sure have a lot less personal freedom to do what you want.

My deck project is 2/3 complete...Started in late March, hoping to end by June 20th for my son's 1st birthday party. Basically took the old deck out and started from scratch because the old deck was built like ####. 11 footings, and many many weekends later, I'm set to lay the last few decking boards and start on the railing this weekend.

Album with pics
Finished the deck up this weekend (album updated with finished pictures). All I have to do is run some wiring inside the house to feed an exterior electrical outlet that will power my low-voltage transformer, and silicone down the post caps. I also have to figure out what to do with the landing area of the stairs as the current flagstone there is just temporary. Then I've got a few days to clean up the mess I made of the yard before the kid's 1st birthday party.

Took me ~25 days working ~10 hours a day.

One has wax, one doesn't. j/k :hophead:
Turns out the spray can varieties don't have wax.....and i wont need another brush. Thanks again.
Got done with the first part of my little project over the weekend. Thanks again for the tips on shellac and then spar poly. I probably have about 4 coats of each, and it turned out great. Oh, and I found a picture of it online here and here I guess what I thought was a "sink bay" is actually a cut out for a removable cutting board and a stainless steel "container" underneath. Neither of those were included when I got it, so I've got to figure out what to do with that open hole (13.25" x 10.75" with a ~.5" lip and rounded corners).

Next up is finishing the other solid top (roughly 1" larger on all sides and without any "sink bay"). I'll use this top more for food prep and such beside my BBQ grill. I think I'll just sand it down and use "butcher block oil" on it. If I'm lucky maybe I can find a cheapo grill cover for it so it can be permanently stored outside.

Custom desk for home office going in Thursday. Template being done for Quartz desktop Friday as well. 2 weeks after that I should have a desktop :excited:

Last edited by a moderator:
Great looking deck, Nick!!

Speaking of decks, does anyone have any familiarity with doing a "ceiling" on the bottom tier of a 2 floor deck? This isn't the back of my house, but my deck looks similar - one ~500 sq. ft. deck over another identical size ~500 sq. ft. deck (both are pressure treated lumber, nothing yet composite). I'd like to install some type of "ceiling" underneath the top one that is 99.99% "water tight". A drip here or there isn't going to hurt anything. I would like to also install a pair of outdoor ceiling fans as well as at least 8 "can lights". Long term I'd like to use the bottom part as an "outdoor living room" with speakers, a projector screen, and a projector (one that I'd likely have to set up and remove each time, but that's fine with me), and where I'll have my BBQ grill.

Any tips? Thanks!

Speaking of decks, does anyone have any familiarity with doing a "ceiling" on the bottom tier of a 2 floor deck? This isn't the back of my house, but my deck looks similar - one ~500 sq. ft. deck over another identical size ~500 sq. ft. deck (both are pressure treated lumber, nothing yet composite). I'd like to install some type of "ceiling" underneath the top one that is 99.99% "water tight". A drip here or there isn't going to hurt anything. I would like to also install a pair of outdoor ceiling fans as well as at least 8 "can lights". Long term I'd like to use the bottom part as an "outdoor living room" with speakers, a projector screen, and a projector (one that I'd likely have to set up and remove each time, but that's fine with me), and where I'll have my BBQ grill.

Any tips? Thanks!
Trex has this stuff called Rain Escapes. I didn't use it, as I only have like 3' of clearance under my deck, but it looked simple enough. Basically, it looks like some sort of heavy-duty membrane that you install OVER the joists, under the decking. The space between each joist sags a little and essentially creates a little "gutter" for the water. I imagine you have to somehow deal with slope. Not sure if that's done via a deeper trench as you go or what. Anyway, it looks like you install that on the top side of the joist, then just finish the underside of the joist with normal outdoor cladding.

Again, didn't use it, but came across it referenced in several places. It looked like a simple enough idea and I liked that it basically kept your joists dry too.

I LOVE elevated decks with finished spaces underneath. So nice. I wish I had that set-up. We're going to need to figure out some shade on the new deck as it gets sun for the bulk of the day.

Any tips? Thanks!
Trex has this stuff called Rain Escapes. I didn't use it, as I only have like 3' of clearance under my deck, but it looked simple enough. Basically, it looks like some sort of heavy-duty membrane that you install OVER the joists, under the decking. The space between each joist sags a little and essentially creates a little "gutter" for the water. I imagine you have to somehow deal with slope. Not sure if that's done via a deeper trench as you go or what. Anyway, it looks like you install that on the top side of the joist, then just finish the underside of the joist with normal outdoor cladding.

Again, didn't use it, but came across it referenced in several places. It looked like a simple enough idea and I liked that it basically kept your joists dry too.

I LOVE elevated decks with finished spaces underneath. So nice. I wish I had that set-up. We're going to need to figure out some shade on the new deck as it gets sun for the bulk of the day.
I saw that, but then wondered why I should have to pay for the Trex name when I can just use some 20 mil polyethylene (if I can find it anywhere). I like the idea that it keeps everything from the joists and below totally dry as well, so maybe I can keep the lower deck as PT wood for now. I would, though have to pull up the top deck, and likely just go ahead with something composite up there for now.

Also, if it's just plastic sheeting that droops between the joists, what about can lights for later? Wouldn't the heat from those lights cause issues, and wouldn't the cans themselves hinder the path of the water?

matttyl said:
Fat Nick said:
matttyl said:

Any tips? Thanks!

I saw that, but then wondered why I should have to pay for the Trex name when I can just use some 20 mil polyethylene (if I can find it anywhere). I like the idea that it keeps everything from the joists and below totally dry as well, so maybe I can keep the lower deck as PT wood for now. I would, though have to pull up the top deck, and likely just go ahead with something composite up there for now.

Also, if it's just plastic sheeting that droops between the joists, what about can lights for later? Wouldn't the heat from those lights cause issues, and wouldn't the cans themselves hinder the path of the water?
Agree 100% re. Trex name. I don't know if there's anything else more proprietary or not.

One word of caution re. Poly Sheeting - I've used that stuff for a lot of applications. I built some self-watering planter boxes for a balcony garden when we lived in an apartment. I used that sheeting to line the bottom of the box and serve as the water reservoir. The stuff holds water well, but the biggest issue is that if it's exposed to light, even a little, the UV breaks it down after a while, and it gets VERY brittle. Not my image, but when I trashed those planter boxes this year, the sheeting broke up just like this picture.

If I were going to try and duplicate Trex's product, I'd go with something UV resistant. Not sure if you can source Pond Liner at a reasonable enough price, but that would likely work. Maybe even pool liner. But you might just be getting into a space where Trex's product actually makes more sense cost wise.

Re. can lights - I would imagine if you wanted to do that, you could frame out a little box to separate the heat from the plastic at some point. The cans would absolutely melt poly sheeting given enough time. I agree though, boxes or not, you'd have to be careful not to impede the flow of the water. You could always do track lights or something.

matttyl said:

Any tips? Thanks!
I've got a solution for you but no name. We installed a "ceiling" under our covered patio. I have 6 LED flush mount lights(can spray with water) and an outdoor ceiling fan(can also get wet) and this stuff installed. I've hosed it down several times with no problems. It's inexpensive and gives a nice finished look(keeps out birds nests). It's almost like siding, my contractor put it up at no charge as incentive to give him the covered patio job so I know it's not terribly expensive.

Here's a few pics of it

http://i58.tinypic.com/34t1ll4.jpg

http://i58.tinypic.com/vd0i14.jpg

Osaurus said:
Custom desk for home office going in Thursday. Template being done for Quartz desktop Friday as well. 2 weeks after that I should have a desktop :excited:
where'd you get the plans? Thinking about this as well

Well got the drainage quote back. Guy wants $10K to cut/install 3 channel drains (about 6-8' each) and lead them to a central 18" square drain (about 10' away) and replace a 6" drain pipe with an 8" drain pipe about 90 ft. around the house.

Uh no.

I guess I am back to piecing this out and coordinating myself.

Osaurus said:
Paid for design and installation. Not doing it myself thank goodness. Happy to share the plans with you if you'd like.

Osaurus said:
Paid for design and installation. Not doing it myself thank goodness. Happy to share the plans with you if you'd like.
Yeah, I'd be curious. My wife works from the house and I work virtually a handful of times out of the month, so we share the same office; but are currently using two tables as desks. I doubt your plans would fit our needs, but I'm just looking for some ideas to get some creativity going.

My deck project is 2/3 complete...Started in late March, hoping to end by June 20th for my son's 1st birthday party. Basically took the old deck out and started from scratch because the old deck was built like ####. 11 footings, and many many weekends later, I'm set to lay the last few decking boards and start on the railing this weekend.

Album with pics
Finished the deck up this weekend (album updated with finished pictures). All I have to do is run some wiring inside the house to feed an exterior electrical outlet that will power my low-voltage transformer, and silicone down the post caps. I also have to figure out what to do with the landing area of the stairs as the current flagstone there is just temporary. Then I've got a few days to clean up the mess I made of the yard before the kid's 1st birthday party.

Took me ~25 days working ~10 hours a day.
Looks awesome. How much for labor if you had that installed by a contractor?

Osaurus said:
Yeah, I'd be curious. My wife works from the house and I work virtually a handful of times out of the month, so we share the same office; but are currently using two tables as desks. I doubt your plans would fit our needs, but I'm just looking for some ideas to get some creativity going.
Sure thing. I'll PM you this weekend.

So I had some landscapers do some work in my back yard. Looks like an issue is brewing. What we had them do was clear the back of our lot (it was overgrown with weed, brush, small trees), get rid of a all the trash and debris (the previous owners used it as a dump almost. There were things like extra shingles from when they redid the roof on the shed, a tire, some broken up cement chunks, and the big thing, the pool filter that had been replaced), lay dirt to level the ground, and sod the whole thing. This was roughly 4000 square feet or so. Maybe a little more.

First problem, we originally asked them if they could get it done by June 12 (my step daughters grad party was June 14). They said yes. They had been working on it for a couple of weeks and it was getting close. June 11 all that was left was laying sod and getting rid of the old pool filter (this thing is a monstrosity. I can't budge it just trying to tip it over). No one shows up June 11. No one shows up June 12 and we email, asking what the deal is. Their response is "we mow laws Thursdays and Fridays, so we will finish on Tuesday." It really wasn't a big deal, because we only wanted it done for the looks. We weren't going to do anything on it. No biggie.

Next problem, they're not done Tuesday. They finally finish yesterday and we get a couple of emails. The first one says to the effect "we are all done. Here's the invoice" (for the full amount of the bid). Problem is, the filter is still there. Wife emails back "um, the pool filter is still there. Why?" Now, the bid detailed "all trash and debris." We confirmed via email, multiple times, this included the filter. She responds "the filter is cemented to the ground. The cement is connected to the pool house. We can get heavy equipment back there to remove it, but you will need to sign a waiver because we can't guarantee we won't damage the foundation for the pool house." Now I'm livid. The kicker is that they sodded all around the filter so I can't even see under anymore. It was previously surrounded by brush, so I have no idea if this is true.

I've slept on it, but I plan on calling back with the following message. Let me know if you think I should say more/less: The bid included the removal of the filter. I expect you to return, remove the filer, and replace the sod. I am not signing a waiver and giving you freedom to damage the pool house. If you cannot remove the filter, I will pay someone else to do it and reduce the amount owed to you by the cost of the removal, since it was included in your bid. It is not my issue if you did not properly inspect the job you bid before completing it."

It really ticks me off they completely sodded around the filter like we would be leaving it there as is, and left like the job was done.

Any tips? Thanks!
http://www.masoncorp.com/Mason_Residential_Deck_Drainage_Systems.htm

Trying to re-paint my deck. It was a solid red/brown color, which I'll try to match as closely as I can. Most of the "floor" paint/stain came off, but hardly anything on the spindles and top railings. I'm hoping it'll cover everything without much of a difference in texture, but I have my doubts. I haven't even been able to test out any spots because it rains every other day here.

Also drying out part of my basement carpet. Sewer drain backed up and had 1/2 inch of water in most of the unfinished part. Seeped a little into the finished room. Luckily pulling the carpet up and drying the bottom of it and the padding underneath has been pretty easy so far and no permanent damage done. I did have to throw out part of the padding in an area that gets little to no traffic as it's behind the couch and was soaked, but I can replace that no problem. Just glad I didn't have to completely rip out any carpet and buy new.

So I had some landscapers do some work in my back yard. Looks like an issue is brewing. What we had them do was clear the back of our lot (it was overgrown with weed, brush, small trees), get rid of a all the trash and debris (the previous owners used it as a dump almost. There were things like extra shingles from when they redid the roof on the shed, a tire, some broken up cement chunks, and the big thing, the pool filter that had been replaced), lay dirt to level the ground, and sod the whole thing. This was roughly 4000 square feet or so. Maybe a little more.

First problem, we originally asked them if they could get it done by June 12 (my step daughters grad party was June 14). They said yes. They had been working on it for a couple of weeks and it was getting close. June 11 all that was left was laying sod and getting rid of the old pool filter (this thing is a monstrosity. I can't budge it just trying to tip it over). No one shows up June 11. No one shows up June 12 and we email, asking what the deal is. Their response is "we mow laws Thursdays and Fridays, so we will finish on Tuesday." It really wasn't a big deal, because we only wanted it done for the looks. We weren't going to do anything on it. No biggie.

Next problem, they're not done Tuesday. They finally finish yesterday and we get a couple of emails. The first one says to the effect "we are all done. Here's the invoice" (for the full amount of the bid). Problem is, the filter is still there. Wife emails back "um, the pool filter is still there. Why?" Now, the bid detailed "all trash and debris." We confirmed via email, multiple times, this included the filter. She responds "the filter is cemented to the ground. The cement is connected to the pool house. We can get heavy equipment back there to remove it, but you will need to sign a waiver because we can't guarantee we won't damage the foundation for the pool house." Now I'm livid. The kicker is that they sodded all around the filter so I can't even see under anymore. It was previously surrounded by brush, so I have no idea if this is true.

I've slept on it, but I plan on calling back with the following message. Let me know if you think I should say more/less: The bid included the removal of the filter. I expect you to return, remove the filer, and replace the sod. I am not signing a waiver and giving you freedom to damage the pool house. If you cannot remove the filter, I will pay someone else to do it and reduce the amount owed to you by the cost of the removal, since it was included in your bid. It is not my issue if you did not properly inspect the job you bid before completing it."

It really ticks me off they completely sodded around the filter like we would be leaving it there as is, and left like the job was done.
Take a breath.

Yes, they should have inspected it better. However, maybe you should have pointed out that it was cemented in - they probably didn't expect that, and by eyeballing it, figured it was just another piece of trash. "Trash and debris" would generally (and reasonably) mean taking away loose stuff, not demolition work. Before you make legal-type demands like "I'm deducting this from the bill", be sure their estimate/paperwork doesn't include any disclaimer. Most companies have some language to that effect, because when you're doing work, sometimes things you don't expect crop up. And even if they don't, if this went to court, I think "trash and debris" is going to be interpreted like I mentioned - loose stuff that's hauled away.

I know we're all defensive to keep from being ripped off by contractors, etc, but this genuinely sounds like it simply turned out to be a much bigger deal that they thought by eyeballing it (after all, had they know the full scope, wouldn't they have put the heavy equipment into the original estimate?) Still, they should have made you aware of this earlier "Look, this thing is cemented in - we didn't know that when estimating the job - it'll take xyz more to remove it". But to expect them to eat it 100% and allude to "well, not my problem you didn't see that - it's in the paper, so I get it" is kinda wrong.

Be a good, understanding customer and try and reach a happy middle ground here.

Would it be wrong to suggest to some clients that the design that was approved months ago (the one that wasn't my favorite), and is under construction, should be changed?

it would only kill the budget and schedule-but that's ok, for getting it right the first time.... right? :oldunsure:

maybe I suggest it to my boss first.

That looks pretty good and something close to what I am looking to do later this year. If you don't mind me asking, how much did this cost?
Tile was probably +/- 900, the large light grey tile was only like 450 at HD, the grey shower floor was pricey, $250. The accent was about 100.The vanity was $450, the granite cut & installed, with under mounting sink was about $350.

The fixtures were all about $550, but I have a buddy at Ferguson, would of been about $750 from big box. Toilet, sink, faucet, shower head.

My dad and I did all the work.

Take a breath.

Yes, they should have inspected it better. However, maybe you should have pointed out that it was cemented in - they probably didn't expect that, and by eyeballing it, figured it was just another piece of trash. "Trash and debris" would generally (and reasonably) mean taking away loose stuff, not demolition work. Before you make legal-type demands like "I'm deducting this from the bill", be sure their estimate/paperwork doesn't include any disclaimer. Most companies have some language to that effect, because when you're doing work, sometimes things you don't expect crop up. And even if they don't, if this went to court, I think "trash and debris" is going to be interpreted like I mentioned - loose stuff that's hauled away.

I know we're all defensive to keep from being ripped off by contractors, etc, but this genuinely sounds like it simply turned out to be a much bigger deal that they thought by eyeballing it (after all, had they know the full scope, wouldn't they have put the heavy equipment into the original estimate?) Still, they should have made you aware of this earlier "Look, this thing is cemented in - we didn't know that when estimating the job - it'll take xyz more to remove it". But to expect them to eat it 100% and allude to "well, not my problem you didn't see that - it's in the paper, so I get it" is kinda wrong.

Thanks for showing me the other side of the coin.

A couple of clarifying points:

-As the job proceeded, and they hadn't touched the filter, we followed up multiple times clarifying they would be taking it and they confirmed yes each time.

-I had no idea it was cemented it. It's rounded at the bottom and dirt covered where it met the ground, so I couldn't see myself if it was cemented in or not. Since they've run the sod right up to the edge of the filter, I'd have to get a shovel out and start digging up the sod to verify it actually is cemented in.

-We had multiple bids for this job. Their bid was higher but said they could get it done by our deadline, which they missed, so this is compounding my frustration.

-I get that saying "it's not my problem, fix it even though it is a bigger job that you thought" is kinda douchey, but I think it is far less douchey than their move of sodding completely around the filter then sending us an invoice for the full amount and apparently completely ignoring the issue.

Take a breath.

Thanks for showing me the other side of the coin.

A couple of clarifying points:

-As the job proceeded, and they hadn't touched the filter, we followed up multiple times clarifying they would be taking it and they confirmed yes each time.

-I had no idea it was cemented it. It's rounded at the bottom and dirt covered where it met the ground, so I couldn't see myself if it was cemented in or not. Since they've run the sod right up to the edge of the filter, I'd have to get a shovel out and start digging up the sod to verify it actually is cemented in.

-We had multiple bids for this job. Their bid was higher but said they could get it done by our deadline, which they missed, so this is compounding my frustration.

-I get that saying "it's not my problem, fix it even though it is a bigger job that you thought" is kinda douchey, but I think it is far less douchey than their move of sodding completely around the filter then sending us an invoice for the full amount and apparently completely ignoring the issue.
Yea, they should have made you aware of it, no doubt. They were probably afraid to, especially since they missed their deadline. I'm not a contractor, but I suspect the "this is bigger than we thought" is amongst the most unpleasant conversations to have.

But yes, they should have made you aware of it, and by sodding up to it, it now has to be destroyed and re-sodded.

I would ask them "what will it take to do this, and keep in mind, you should have made me aware that it was cemented earlier, so I shouldn't have to pay for resodding/etc"

I just priced up my roof, the same one I was quoted for replacement last year for $50,000.....

1,700 sqft

That's $2,000 in materials

Another $300 for seamless gutters and downspouts

~$600 for a dumpster.

I have a hip roof (4 sides)so I'm actually considering doing it myself, one side at a time.

ETA - The $50k quote did include my garage roof but c'mon.

I just priced up my roof, the same one I was quoted for replacement last year for $50,000.....

1,700 sqft

~$600 for a dumpster.

I have a hip roof (4 sides)so I'm actually considering doing it myself, one side at a time.

50k? I'm lost as to how that's even possible.

1,700 sqft

~$600 for a dumpster.

It was a referral from Otis.

1,700 sqft

~$600 for a dumpster.

So was I.

proninja said:
Getting quotes on a roof. I really want metal. Contractor cost = $30k. Material cost = $5k.

I really don't want to do this myself, but how can I not?
Just discovered the front part of my house between the garage and the overhang is all rotted out because of a hole in the roof....

Local roofer has seen the same on simular models in my complex. He was preping me for $3-$5K. He took up a few of my tiles and said I was lucky that it didn't spread and the rot was only Located in the general area away from the house. He's going to rip it out and replace everything for $850.

I was having the same thought as above before he hit me with a reasonable price.... No way I was paying him $5K.

Quick question. House is 19 years old and the original (wood) windows are still there. We're planning on replacing the 1st floor this fall and the 2nd story next year ( with aluminum or vinyl double hung).

I was planning on putting in pocket windows instead of the full frame replacements. There are some different schools of thought, just looking for feedback.

What say you?

Home office still in holding pattern. Hoping Quartz desktop goes in this week, but remaining trim and crown moulding TBD. :hot:

Users who are viewing this thread