What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Duke Johnson RB Dolphins (1 Viewer)

Thoughts on Duke as a handcuff necessity to D. Johnson vs picking up a WR like Gage, etc...?

not sure it's worth handcuffing this offense the way it's looked the first 2 weeks.  seems like the production from this backfield will depend largely on the opponent (and I have David Johnson).
I have DJ also and made a point of drafting Duke as my handcuff, dropped him after week 1 and has been sitting on waivers.....I'd snag Gage if I were you

Last edited by a moderator:
this offense and Watson look lost with Hopkins ability to stretch the field and make plays.  Looks like it could be a long season.

this offense and Watson look lost with Hopkins ability to stretch the field and make plays.  Looks like it could be a long season.
This is true.... but you have take into account the schedule..... Baltimore last week then pitt this week, wont get any easier, after that it opens up a lot.  Lots of talent on the team, I'm sure the ship will get righted

This is true.... but you have take into account the schedule..... Baltimore last week then pitt this week, wont get any easier, after that it opens up a lot.  Lots of talent on the team, I'm sure the ship will get righted
certainly is a tough start to the season facing the SB champs week 1, Ravens week 2 and Steelers week 3 (probably the best 2 defenses they'll face all year).   What worries me is that in years past Watson would seem to will his team back into games largely by leaning on Hopkins when they were down and this year it seems like they are going out with that fight or competitiveness.  Maybe / hopefully it'll improve but the start is not what I hoped for so far.

Arguably the toughest 3 game stretch in football to open the season. 

Schedule softens up a LOT after this. I expect Watson to get going as well as the whole Texans squad. 

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Texans RB Duke Johnson (ankle, questionable) is a "long-shot" to play in Week 3 against the Steelers.

David Johnson will continue to serve as the team's three-down back as long as Duke is out. David handled every touch in the Houston backfield last week. Buddy Howell will be the backup running back in Houston again this week. He doesn't project to see more than a few snaps on offense.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Sep 27, 2020, 8:28 AM ET

Speaking Monday, interim Texans coach Romeo Crennel said Duke Johnson could see more work going forward. 

Johnson, who has been limited to only 3-of-5 games by injury, saw the ball just four times in Crennel's Week 5 debut. "We know what Duke brings to the table, we like what Duke brings to the table," Crennel claimed. "Next week, Duke might be the guy who shows up more in the receiving game and running game as well." It makes sense in theory, but the problem for Duke has been the same all season: Where he excels, pass catching, has also always been David Johnson's primary strength. That may no longer be true, but Duke will essentially have to commit a hostile takeover of passing downs to earn a consistent role. Even in PPR leagues, Duke is not currently a viable FLEX. 

SOURCE: Aaron Wilson on Twitter 

Oct 13, 2020, 1:58 PM ET

This dude us one of the most underutilized players in the NFL. It’s absurd that he’s not used in 2-back sets, giving Watson another viable target when the line collapses & DaJo is covered. 

He should be a 12 touch per game guy, giving DaJo breathers to keep him healthy & getting 4-6 receptions per week. 

I like this idea from Crennel - hopefully he commits to it. 

Duke Johnson caught all five of his targets for 43 yards in Houston's Week 7 loss to Green Bay.

Previously featured as the team's pass-catching back in negative game script, Duke gave way to David Johnson in that role Sunday, watching as the latter hauled in a touchdown inside the five-yard line to open the second half. Duke was inevitably out-touched 18 to 6 behind David Johnson, handling a single carry to Johnson's backfield-high 14. Duke isn't worth hanging onto in any leagues outside of dynasty formats.

- Rotoworld

Full load vs. his old team? Fire up the Spite Mobile!

CMC owner starting Duke over Mike Davis in .5ppr. Let's goooooo!

:drive:

It's really unfortunate that teams keep pegging him as a pass-catching back when he was a 3-down guy and the leading rusher at Miami. It also seems like maybe he's not an extroverted guy since you'd think he'd complain or something about it, but you rarely hear anything from him about it.

Coming into his sixth year he has only surpassed 100 carries once (rookie year) and has played all 16 games every year (with exception to this year so far). I would imagine there is a reason as coaches typically tend to want to play their best players. From the outside I agree it seems odd that he has not been given the bell cow shot with his college pedigree, but with multiple coaches/teams evaluating him over the coarse of his career it would seem that there is some reason that we are not seeing.

Coming into his sixth year he has only surpassed 100 carries once (rookie year) and has played all 16 games every year (with exception to this year so far). I would imagine there is a reason as coaches typically tend to want to play their best players. From the outside I agree it seems odd that he has not been given the bell cow shot with his college pedigree, but with multiple coaches/teams evaluating him over the coarse of his career it would seem that there is some reason that we are not seeing.
I need him to have a great game this week.   He’s nothing more than a spot start.  

Starting him in Dynasty. Just in time with Carson likely not back & RoJo again in a timeshare. 

I've had him on my dynasty roster since drafting him in the 1st round in 2015.

He's been a disappointment over the years and can make up a LOT of meh feelings for him with a strong game this week during the playoff push.

I really hope he shines against his former club and i'm starting him but i am also kinda pessimistic at him having a great game.

It all sounds good but given that the people making the decisions were the Browns and then BOB, I'll give the guy still a little bit of the benefit of the doubt.

I've had him on my dynasty roster since drafting him in the 1st round in 2015.

He's been a disappointment over the years and can make up a LOT of meh feelings for him with a strong game this week during the playoff push.

I really hope he shines against his former club and i'm starting him but i am also kinda pessimistic at him having a great game.
I feel exactly the same. He can be worth every penny of the last 3 years I’ve rostered him - all will be forgiven with a single good start. 

David Johnson has been put on IR.  Duke may have redraft value ros as a RB2 in PPR.

I hope David J. is okay and will recover in time.

Duke Johnson rushed 14 times for 54 yards in the Texans' Week 10 loss to the Browns. 

Johnson was held without a catch on one target in his disappointing first start in place of David Johnson (concussion, injured reserve). The Texans needed more in a contest where high winds made the passing game harrowing. Hugely ineffective on a per-carry basis this season and only moderately productive per-catch, Duke could start ceding touches to some of the no-namers behind him if his play does not pick up soon. The Patriots' slow run defense is a Week 11 get-right spot, however, keeping Duke in the mid-range RB2 mix. David must miss at least two more games.  

- Rotoworld
Run blocking did him no favors today.

Imma leave this here

https://twitter.com/notJDaigle/status/1328340595476230144

John Daigle @notJDaigle · 1h

Duke Johnson’s first start without Mike Pettine, Bill O’Brien, or Hue Jackson as coach yesterday:

Career-high 95% snaps

100% RB carries

1-of-2 RB targets

Only backfield touch inside 10

Has handled 100% of Houston’s RB carries (30) since David Johnson exited in Week 9.

I was surprised they didn’t try to throw to him more.  Only one target.  If the run blocking was so poor and the wind impacted downfield throwing them they should have tried shorter passes to him.  
The rushing results were just as expected but I thought 5 catches were very likely.  Duke is a good pass catching back.  I don’t understand Houston’s logic.   

This makes me feel worse about his prospects the next couple weeks.  I can't see him (or anyone) ever being 100% of the run game.  So his share of the run game has to go down.  Hopefully he still gets a chance as the lead guy next week in a normal weather game.  But he could have easily made up managements mind that they need to bring someone in.

The rushing results were just as expected but I thought 5 catches were very likely.  Duke is a good pass catching back.  I don’t understand Houston’s logic.   
He's a 3-down back pigeonholed into a pass catching role by coaches with questionable outlooks. I'm not saying he should receive all carries (probably see some of Buddy Howell next week), but he should get a fair shot at a 3-down job somewhere. One game in inclement NFL weather isn't going to change that opinion when the vast body of work in college points to his ability.

He's a 3-down back pigeonholed into a pass catching role by coaches with questionable outlooks. I'm not saying he should receive all carries (probably see some of Buddy Howell next week), but he should get a fair shot at a 3-down job somewhere. One game in inclement NFL weather isn't going to change that opinion when the vast body of work in college points to his ability.
Forget college. Go find his highlights from his first/second year with Browns. He was simply an electric and do-everything back. He was a guy I never watched and I saw that and traded for him in offseason. Thought for sure he was undervalued. 🤷‍♂️

I've had this guy in dynasty since he came out of college but I finally dropped him earlier this year.  He flashes at times and I thought in Cleveland showed he could be a good pass catching back, but in two years in Houston he has failed to beat out Carlos Hyde and then the team went out and got David Johnson. They haven't used him in a pass catching role when he does play. At Cleveland he couldn't beat out Isaiah Crowell, an undrafted Free Agent who was ok but not great. I just don't see him emerging as a three down back who can be counted on in fantasy at this point in his career.

I'm willing to give week 10 a pass.  The weather was terrible with wind gusts between 30 - 50.  Hou is not a run first team.  The passes will come - he is known as a passing down back.

His rush stats is what I expected.  Very uninspiring as a between tackles runner.

I'm willing to give week 10 a pass.  The weather was terrible with wind gusts between 30 - 50.  Hou is not a run first team.  The passes will come - he is known as a passing down back.

His rush stats is what I expected.  Very uninspiring as a between tackles runner.
The wind yesterday is precisely why I expected him to do well.  Short passes to the RB would have been much easier to complete than anything downfield.  Then he proceeded to get 0 targets in the passing game.

Baffling.

The wind yesterday is precisely why I expected him to do well.  Short passes to the RB would have been much easier to complete than anything downfield.  Then he proceeded to get 0 targets in the passing game.

Baffling.
This is what I was trying to say.   Duke has proven for years that he is a good receiver out of the backfield.   What does Houston do on a day with wind gusts of 50 MPH?   They don’t throw him the ball. Houston deserved to lose a very winnable game.   

I also want to say something so there's no misconception. I'm not saying Duke is some transcendent talent who never got a shot; he's not. But he's been in a lot of situations where a team could've given him 13-15 carries just to see what they have in him as a starting back who is a good/great pass catcher and it's very odd.

Plays have the reads built in, the QB doesn’t just choose who his first read is mid-play. Sometimes there is flexibility based on what he sees pre-snap, but the main problem isn’t that Watson doesn’t know who his first read is, his football IQ is high—it’s that that guy isn’t as good as DeAndre Hopkins. 

Duke Johnson missed Wednesday's practice with an illness.

No national reporter called attention to it, so we are not too worried about Johnson's status for Week 11 against the Patriots. In his start in relief of David Johnson last week, Duke registered 14 carries and just one target as the Texans struggled to generate any offense for 60 minutes.

Nov 18, 2020, 8:07 PM ET

Duke Johnson (illness) returned to Texans practice on Thursday. 

We wouldn't normally bat an eye at a Wednesday DNP with "illness," but we can't take anything for granted in the year of COVID-19. Now that Johnson is back at practice, the bigger concern is his initial ineffectiveness on the ground in place of David Johnson (concussion). He is going to have to show more against the Patriots' soft run defense this week if he is to avoid the Buddy Howells of the world beginning to mix in for touches. Duke is a plug-and-play RB2 for Week 11 despite last week's poor showing in Cleveland.  

SOURCE: Aaron Wilson on Twitter 

Nov 19, 2020, 1:48 PM ET

Yeah, he wasnt doing good before Tunsil was out.

Now, he goes for 20/120/2 cuz we are most likely to bench him.

Rolling Ahmed over him after watching what happened to the Broncos last week, which means he will suck. lol
I’m doing the same.  Same rationale.    I hope it works out for us.  

Users who are viewing this thread