What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (10 Viewers)

Good post taken from Reddit...

This is more than just a wild stab, this is the real deal. Federal criminal indictments have an astonishingly high conviction rate in this country, like over 80 93 percent. Because so much more is required of federal prosecutors. You can't just convince a federal judge that there is probable cause, like in state court. You have to win over a federal grand jury to get the indictment. Especially with corruption, conspiracy, racketeering, wire fraud-type cases, a federal prosecutor is not going to move forward on something this high profile without airtight evidence and testimony. There's probably reams and gigabytes of rock solid financial records and emails, I bet. The fact the Swiss are swiftly assisting with arrests and extradition seals it, for me.

There's also no parole in federal prison. And there are sentence enhancements to the moon for these kinds of white-collar crimes under federal sentencing guidelin
There is parole, but normally there's an 85% rule, meaning the convicted must serve at least 85% of the full sentence and spend the remaining 15% on parole. This is really just a misuse of the word parole.

Also the enhancements part is important, that means a felony with 20 years in the guidelines could balloon to 40 or so easily. (Don't read anything into the years used in the example.)
I don't know much about soccer, but I do know more than most about federal criminal law and prison. There is no parole, but a prisoner can receive up to 15% off for good behavior (really about 13% based on some crazy math). It's not a misuse of the word. Good time and parole are different.

Now, there are definitely enhancements in the sentencing guidelines for large $$$ white collar crimes, but the guidelines are 1) not mandatory, meaning judges don't have to follow them and 2) in most white collar cases judges do NOT follow them, because the numbers are really absurdly enhanced based mostly on $$ figures.

Based on the alleged crimes here and the age of the biggest players I'd guess the highest sentence will still be less than 10 years. Still nothing to sneeze at.
A lot of these dudes are pretty old so it might be enough.

This is more than just a wild stab, this is the real deal. Federal criminal indictments have an astonishingly high conviction rate in this country, like over 80 93 percent. Because so much more is required of federal prosecutors. You can't just convince a federal judge that there is probable cause, like in state court. You have to win over a federal grand jury to get the indictment. Especially with corruption, conspiracy, racketeering, wire fraud-type cases, a federal prosecutor is not going to move forward on something this high profile without airtight evidence and testimony. There's probably reams and gigabytes of rock solid financial records and emails, I bet. The fact the Swiss are swiftly assisting with arrests and extradition seals it, for me.

There's also no parole in federal prison. And there are sentence enhancements to the moon for these kinds of white-collar crimes under federal sentencing guidelin
There is parole, but normally there's an 85% rule, meaning the convicted must serve at least 85% of the full sentence and spend the remaining 15% on parole. This is really just a misuse of the word parole.

Also the enhancements part is important, that means a felony with 20 years in the guidelines could balloon to 40 or so easily. (Don't read anything into the years used in the example.)
I don't know much about soccer, but I do know more than most about federal criminal law and prison. There is no parole, but a prisoner can receive up to 15% off for good behavior (really about 13% based on some crazy math). It's not a misuse of the word. Good time and parole are different.

Now, there are definitely enhancements in the sentencing guidelines for large $$$ white collar crimes, but the guidelines are 1) not mandatory, meaning judges don't have to follow them and 2) in most white collar cases judges do NOT follow them, because the numbers are really absurdly enhanced based mostly on $$ figures.

Based on the alleged crimes here and the age of the biggest players I'd guess the highest sentence will still be less than 10 years. Still nothing to sneeze at.
What was the average age? 75? Crazy to think of these 80+ dudes getting arrested.

What was the average age? 75? Crazy to think of these 80+ dudes getting arrested.
don't do the crime if you can't do the time

don't do the crime if you can't do the time
Holy ####. Is that true? Uh-oh :oldunsure:

Argentina seems to have a forward problem for Copa America: Messi, Aguero, Tevez, Higuain, and Lavezzi
Is the problem seeing if any of them besides Messi is healthy/shows up like last summer? Because this group didn't get much done in Brazil...

Last edited by a moderator:
who thinks that this wouldn't have gone down if the us had won the 2022 bid?
I think that was one of the last straws that made them decide to go for it. Once they had Blazer in their pocket they knew they had a gold mine.

The complete fiasco that was the Garcia Report did not help matters. Had FIFA treated the report seriously instead of ignoring it and causing the writer of the report to quit, things might have gone differently but this thing was headed for a collision probably no matter what.

The sad thing is, all FIFA had to do was just be a little less corrupt, like say boxing or the NCAA and no one would have cared. The amount of corruption needed to create this type of attack is probably even worse than most of us realized they were into.

These EPL teams don't have much of an offseason before they start barn storming.

Man City beat TFC tonight 1-0 in Toronto. George Evans hit a gorgeous 30 yard goal late for the winner.

US Open Cup action

Charleston Battery score a goal in the 79th minute, their second in 3 minutes, to go up on ft. lauderdale 3-2!
Fun game! I caught the last 20 or so minutes and on youtube.

Are all of the US Open Cup games on youtube or just a select few who stream?

Last edited by a moderator:
Chart: The Qatar World Cup Death Toll Is Stunning

1200 migrant and slave workers have died building for the World Cup in Qatar. This is outrageous. Someone needs to shut this thing down NOW.
If I understood the news right, that isn't even a true total. That number is the death toll for workers from Pakistan and India. Who knows how many from other locations have died too.
Such a powerful infographic. 1200+ deaths and the tournament isnt scheduled for another seven years!

These EPL teams don't have much of an offseason before they start barn storming.

Man City beat TFC tonight 1-0 in Toronto. George Evans hit a gorgeous 30 yard goal late for the winner.
Yeah, Spurs played Malaysia yesterday also. Kane with 2 more goals. I was actually surprised that most of the starters played. Yedlin went 90 with the other 3 regular starters on D.

Parma is up for sale. Price is only $4.5M (due to their crippling debt).

I think between the lot of us we can muster up that money. Gator can coach. Floppo can play midfield. RHE and GPJ can provide color commentary. And Christo can be our 'enforcer'.

I think between the lot of us we can muster up that money. Gator can coach. Floppo can play midfield. RHE and GPJ can provide color commentary. And Christo can be our 'enforcer'.
I played LB in high school. Have room for a middle aged slow white LB? I mean I could probably run a 40 in 6 seconds kinda slow. But I'm wicked w/ the left foot. If I could get to the attacking half, I used to have a pretty good lefty cross to the box.

I played LB in high school. Have room for a middle aged slow white LB? I mean I could probably run a 40 in 6 seconds kinda slow. But I'm wicked w/ the left foot. If I could get to the attacking half, I used to have a pretty good lefty cross to the box.
Sounds like you may want to try out for Liverpool....

So it looks like the vote will take place on Friday and that Blatter will probably survive minus the UEFA-US support. Tough to see how Ali gets more than 65-70 votes with Asia and AFC still supporting him along with random countries like El Salvador.

So it looks like the vote will take place on Friday and that Blatter will probably survive minus the UEFA-US support. Tough to see how Ali gets more than 65-70 votes with Asia and AFC still supporting him along with random countries like El Salvador.
Is the vote open? Can you see which confederations/countries vote for each candidate? I realize this is utterly naive, but one would think that at least some nations would change their vote now that the corruption allegations are out in the open and Blatter has a big fat X on his chest.

NEVER! (Although in reality the $ would be hard to turn down. That and the women.)

Is the vote open? Can you see which confederations/countries vote for each candidate? I realize this is utterly naive, but one would think that at least some nations would change their vote now that the corruption allegations are out in the open and Blatter has a big fat X on his chest.
Open vote? Just be happy it's not 100% rigged.

If he's re-elected, the only two things that will take him from power are 1) UEFA/US leaving FIFA (the English FA might do that anyway since Gill isn't taking his seat on the ExCo anyway) or 2) getting indicted.

:thumbup: I'll start organizing a drunken ultras group. It will probably involve a lot of Rick Astley songs.

I dunno I kind of hope he gets re-elected. Will be even funnier when the sitting Fifa president/warlord gets hauled away.

I don't understand why UEFA, CONMEBOL, and CONCACAF don't withdraw from FIFA, and form their own corrupt organization, and rotate their "championship" every 4 years between Europe and the Americas.

I am pretty sure they could stage a competitive tournament, with pretty good broadcast rights...

I don't understand why UEFA, CONMEBOL, and CONCACAF don't withdraw from FIFA, and form their own corrupt organization, and rotate their "championship" every 4 years between Europe and the Americas.

I am pretty sure they could stage a competitive tournament, with pretty good broadcast rights...
Probably because their leaders were already making a pretty penny personally with the current setup. Much tougher to do if it's a purely European operation. I mean they were going to make 100 million personally with the Copa setup.

My link

Because the CONCACAF and CONMEBOL guys are all arrested right now?

I think one of the more surprising facts about yesterday was that no one in the Mexican FA got pegged. Makes me sort of wonder whether they really are clean or just go about their business a different way.

I think one of the more surprising facts about yesterday was that no one in the Mexican FA got pegged. Makes me sort of wonder whether they really are clean or just go about their business a different way.
Mexican spanish is just too confusing :shrug:

Probably because their leaders were already making a pretty penny personally with the current setup. Much tougher to do if it's a purely European operation. I mean they were going to make 100 million personally with the Copa setup.
I think Platini was/is a big supporter of Qatar 2022 as well, right? He's tried to distance himself from Blatter, but he's right in the mix.

Blatter: "I know there are people who hold me responsible. I cannot monitor all of the people all the time"

Other than the fact that Blatter is basically a Bond villain, why wouldn't he just step down "for the good of FIFA" and quickly relocate somewhere without an extradition treaty. How much more money could he possibly need to steal at 79 years old?

I dunno I kind of hope he gets re-elected. Will be even funnier when the sitting Fifa president/warlord gets hauled away.
Yeah - taking him from the podium in cuffs right after election would be an ending worthy of FIFA.

-QG
I do sort of wonder if Blatter will get arrested the first time he steps into a more extradition friendly country. It's one thing to extradite the Costa Rican guy, it's another to extradite a Swiss national.

Users who are viewing this thread