What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (5 Viewers)

we went from soccer talk to how many people post in these two threads but we're trying to count by when everyone is not in FG Timeout 
I've often encouraged our soccer brethren to stay away from the PSF, to no avail.  

At least have another 'pen name' for that cesspool.  Gets too quiet here during politically heated times (which is all the damn time lately).

I've often encouraged our soccer brethren to stay away from the PSF, to no avail.  

At least have another 'pen name' for that cesspool.  Gets too quiet here during politically heated times (which is all the damn time lately).
I only venture in there once in awhile. I think I got one suspension over there for a comment I made about Rose Ann. The others have been for stupid reasons here or in the shark pool. 2 of mine recent ones were a bit questionable and never got an answer what I did wrong exactly. 

Any talk over there about Zlatan telling LeBron to shut up and dribble?

I venture over there once in awhile and am quickly reminded of the stupidity of others. I don't post there, better to be thought the fool then open my mounth and prove it.

Seems lately the game day thread is quiet, even on game days.  With everyone's teams sucking except City fans, guess this season has no excitement.

Seems lately the game day thread is quiet, even on game days.  With everyone's teams sucking except City fans, guess this season has no excitement.
The game-day discussion is really a shadow of what it once was.  Several regular contributors from years past are still here posting, but just not active in the soccer discussion anymore for whatever reason.  Others are gone entirely.

The game-day discussion is really a shadow of what it once was.  Several regular contributors from years past are still here posting, but just not active in the soccer discussion anymore for whatever reason.  Others are gone entirely.
I stopped posting in the game day thread years ago because of the in game jinx.  I now only post during games I don't care about, and I rarely watch games I don't care about.   :shrug:

This seems to be 100% covid related IMO.  I bet in normal time Inter sees the court case through, but in these days cash is absolute king

========================================

Miki Turner

@turneresq

Well this is interesting.

@MLS and @Inter are "actively engaged in negotiations" to settle the trademark dispute involving the use of the name

@InterMiamiCF. Case will effectively be put on hold for 60 days as the parties attempt to come to an agreement.

As posted before I'm just tired of it right now, between no fans in the stands, condensed schedule with games every day, VAR, new rule interpretations every day, or between games, idiocy from FAs, etc etc etc...

I'd like to get back to normal again, one day...

the ref didnt give it and actually the Chelsea players were appealing for the handball.  Real time and Initial looks looked like it came off Greenwood so play continued.  Once there was a stoppage, VAR told the ref to look at it.  Replays showed it was Hudson Odoi who handled the ball.  Ref decided not to give it and reportedly made his comments to McGuire.

Now the FA may want to fine and suspend Shaw for his comments and dispariging a ref.  For what, telling the world what he overheard the ref say?  This is getting rediculous.  

Add on top the debacle at Brighton earlier in the weekend and the FA ,much like the NFL, needs to revamp its referee program.

All teams are affected by the ref, and it could potentially even out over the season, but you are talking 7-10 points in the last 7 games lost as a direct result of poor refing (and following Klopp's comments).  That puts United 2-5 behind City (who they play this weekend).  Thats a major implication for the title race.
The announcers said during today’s game that there will be a meeting Friday about clarifying hand balls that result in PKs. The varying interpretations have played a role in so many matches this year. I am thinking at least in the EPL they could have one main VAR person at headquarters making the decisions similar to MLB. I’m not sure what the right answer is, but as soon as there is a possibly handball, the game is riding on which VAR official you have. 

The announcers said during today’s game that there will be a meeting Friday about clarifying hand balls that result in PKs. The varying interpretations have played a role in so many matches this year. I am thinking at least in the EPL they could have one main VAR person at headquarters making the decisions similar to MLB. I’m not sure what the right answer is, but as soon as there is a possibly handball, the game is riding on which VAR official you have. 
Due to the Fulham goal vs Tottenham being disallowed yesterday, they decided to change the rules again.  His arm was at his side and the ball hit him, unintentionally, and lead to a goal.  Chalked off since the rule says no handball can lead to a goal, intentional or not.  But since it was at his side and no where else on the pitch would that be called a handball, and a defender in the same would not be called for a PK.... They decided next season that will not be called and the goal would stand.

They also decided individual associations could decide to implement it this year, so the rules could change for the weekend.

To me, the right answer is a central VAR team that buzzes the on field ref to go look at the monitor.  The ref looks and decides based on how hes calling the game and what he sees/saw.  That way all decisions fall on the actual ref of the game, not someone XXX miles away.

UPDATE from IFAB: 

Following this clarification, it is a handball offence if a player:

• deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm, for example moving the hand/arm towards the ball;
  • touches the ball with their hand/arm when it has made their body unnaturally bigger. A player is considered to have made their body unnaturally bigger when the position of their hand/arm is not a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player’s body movement for that specific situation. By having their hand/arm in such a position, the player takes a risk of their hand/arm being hit by the ball and being penalised; or
  • scores in the opponents’ goal:
  • directly from their hand/arm, even if accidental, including by the goalkeeper; or
  • immediately after the ball has touched their hand/arm, even if accidental.
Accidental handball that leads to a team-mate scoring a goal or having a goal-scoring opportunity will no longer be considered an offence.

Oops - sorry about that Fulham....

Last edited by a moderator:
I think these are good clarifications by IFAB - now lets see how officials put this into practice.

In theory - this should cut down on a lot of the questionable calls/pens.

UPDATE from IFAB: 

• deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm, for example moving the hand/arm towards the ball;
  • touches the ball with their hand/arm when it has made their body unnaturally bigger. A player is considered to have made their body unnaturally bigger when the position of their hand/arm is not a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player’s body movement for that specific situation. By having their hand/arm in such a position, the player takes a risk of their hand/arm being hit by the ball and being penalised; or
  • directly from their hand/arm, even if accidental, including by the goalkeeper; or
Accidental handball that leads to a team-mate scoring a goal or having a goal-scoring opportunity will no longer be considered an offence.

Hasn't that always been a pen? (Except for yesterday)

UPDATE from IFAB: 

So If I am standing near the goal, onside and everything else being legal, and the ball bounces off my arm, while directly at my side, its still not a goal.  Even though I haven't made my body bigger or put it in an unatural position or done anything that makes it a handball.

I think these are good clarifications by IFAB - now lets see how officials put this into practice.

In theory - this should cut down on a lot of the questionable calls/pens.
Good they removed the issue that caused Fulham to lose a goal.  But they still didn't completely fix their mistake.

When I occasionally post in the game day thread I feel like I’m talking to myself and then Floppo yells at me about being in the wrong thread. ;)  

BREAKING NEWS: Zlatan WATCH FOR SWEDEN IS ON!!!!!

According to reliable Swedish sources Zlatan Ibrahimovic could make a return to Swedish National team featuring WC Qualifiers as early as this next call ups. Swedish Coach  Janne Andersson has been in contact with Zlatan a lot over the last several months 

BREAKING NEWS: Zlatan WATCH FOR SWEDEN IS ON!!!!!

According to reliable Swedish sources Zlatan Ibrahimovic could make a return to Swedish National team featuring WC Qualifiers as early as this next call ups. Swedish Coach  Janne Andersson has been in contact with Zlatan a lot over the last several months 
What was the reason for him not playing? 

What was the reason for him not playing? 
I think he retired quietly believe it or not from international duty awhile after Euro Qualifiers in 2016. After Sweden defeat in 18 their was speculation started he'd return to international duty at some point 

I think he retired quietly believe it or not from international duty awhile after Euro Qualifiers in 2016. After Sweden defeat in 18 their was speculation started he'd return to international duty at some point 
Yeah, I just couldn't remember the reason for the retirement. Clash of personalities, wanting to commit time energy to other things, whatever. 

So it appears United have finally named a Director of Football.  John Murtough was the head of youth development for United and is now the DoF.

Darren Fletcher is now Technical Director and Matt Judge is Director of Football Negotiations.

Fletcher and Judge report to Murtough who reports Woodward.

I am not sure if this is good, or a toothless postion filled to alleviate calls for Woodward to be gone.  Hopefully this team, with Ole, are allowed to do their job and are backed by Ed and the board. Get some deals done quickly and quietly,  sell some dead wood.

Although I still have no doubt they are going to request Declan Rice as payment for WHU to keep Lingard.  Oh and offering $80M combined for Sancho and Haaland

So it appears United have finally named a Director of Football.  John Murtough was the head of youth development for United and is now the DoF.

Darren Fletcher is now Technical Director and Matt Judge is Director of Football Negotiations.

Fletcher and Judge report to Murtough who reports Woodward.

I am not sure if this is good, or a toothless postion filled to alleviate calls for Woodward to be gone.  Hopefully this team, with Ole, are allowed to do their job and are backed by Ed and the board. Get some deals done quickly and quietly,  sell some dead wood.

Although I still have no doubt they are going to request Declan Rice as payment for WHU to keep Lingard.  Oh and offering $80M combined for Sancho and Haaland
Dude Sancho alone is gonna cost over $100M and Haaland with the release clause is at least $100M in '22. You're looking at over   and at least combine $220M on 2 guys. I don't know if I'm United I would do that for just 2 players. Maybe decided which player you want and need more and then use the other money to sign 3 other guys if not more. I think ManU best bet is to get Sancho though. England International, fits a need and really young. Not that Haaland isn't young but I think to get the most out of their investment Sancho would do wonders especially marketing. 

Any idea what kind of Starting 11 the club is fielding tomorrow? Milan is keeping a similar line up to Verona match as they play Napoli on Sunday 

Probable Milan XI (4-2-3-1): G. Donnarumma; Calabria, Tomori, Kjaer, Dalot; Meite, Kessie; Saelemaekers, Diaz, Krunic; Leao

Dude Sancho alone is gonna cost over $100M and Haaland with the release clause is at least $100M in '22. You're looking at over   and at least combine $220M on 2 guys. I don't know if I'm United I would do that for just 2 players. Maybe decided which player you want and need more and then use the other money to sign 3 other guys if not more. I think ManU best bet is to get Sancho though. England International, fits a need and really young. Not that Haaland isn't young but I think to get the most out of their investment Sancho would do wonders especially marketing. 

Any idea what kind of Starting 11 the club is fielding tomorrow? Milan is keeping a similar line up to Verona match as they play Napoli on Sunday 

Probable Milan XI (4-2-3-1): G. Donnarumma; Calabria, Tomori, Kjaer, Dalot; Meite, Kessie; Saelemaekers, Diaz, Krunic; Leao
:rolleyes:  Yes I know they will cost triple what I said they would bid, thats the joke with how United goes about business under Woodward.

For United I expect a similar 4-3-2-1: Henderson, Lindelof, McGuire, Telles, McFreddyT, James, Bruno, Greenwood, Martial

I think Shaw will sit (doubtful vs City and played through a minor knock). Rashford is expected out.  Would love to see Amand Diallo, Bailley and VdB start but I think at home they'll want to come out and win so the away game isnt as big.

You called it!  Nice work

For United I expect a similar 4-3-2-1: Henderson, Lindelof, McGuire, Telles, McFreddyT, James, Bruno, Greenwood, Martial

I think Shaw will sit (doubtful vs City and played through a minor knock). Rashford is expected out.  Would love to see Amand Diallo, Bailley and VdB start but I think at home they'll want to come out and win so the away game isnt as big.
Almost called it: 4-3-2-1: Henderson, AWB, Bailley!!!, McGuire, Telles, Matic, McT, James, Bruno, Greenwood, Martial

You called it!  Nice work

Almost called it: 4-3-2-1: Henderson, AWB, Bailley!!!, McGuire, Telles, Matic, McT, James, Bruno, Greenwood, Martial
I really didn't. I went on one of my favorite Milan Blog sites and they got it from the Local SkyItalia or Milannews. I'll take credit when I do it though 

Ok question for those with ESPN+ as I recently saw a guy with a thread on ESPN+ sub and I guess he set himself up for disappointment without researching what it had. 

Anyway I've had my account for over 2 yrs (3 in august). I set it up through my iPhone as I used my ESPN app account on my phone as it was easier to sub that way. I thought I put it down to stream on my phone and Laptop but for some reason the Laptop only worked for a month. I've tried a few different times over the last two yrs to contact ESPN help on this. I have to send them my account info and I send them the right stuff but they always come back and tell me this account doesn't match the one you signed up with? I know I had a few different accounts over the yrs but I've used the one I have now for like 8 yrs since I had started the ESPN Keeper league on an old baseball forum I belonged too. Any help here would be appreciated as I'd love to watch the games via laptop or on my TV through my ESPN app. 

Ok question for those with ESPN+ as I recently saw a guy with a thread on ESPN+ sub and I guess he set himself up for disappointment without researching what it had. 

Anyway I've had my account for over 2 yrs (3 in august). I set it up through my iPhone as I used my ESPN app account on my phone as it was easier to sub that way. I thought I put it down to stream on my phone and Laptop but for some reason the Laptop only worked for a month. I've tried a few different times over the last two yrs to contact ESPN help on this. I have to send them my account info and I send them the right stuff but they always come back and tell me this account doesn't match the one you signed up with? I know I had a few different accounts over the yrs but I've used the one I have now for like 8 yrs since I had started the ESPN Keeper league on an old baseball forum I belonged too. Any help here would be appreciated as I'd love to watch the games via laptop or on my TV through my ESPN app. 
I can’t help you but will say I’ve had a similar problem with espn+ over the years.  I’m able to sign in and stream on some devices, not on others. I think espn is aware of it but can’t or won’t fix it.

I can’t help you but will say I’ve had a similar problem with espn+ over the years.  I’m able to sign in and stream on some devices, not on others. I think espn is aware of it but can’t or won’t fix it.
Yeah sounds more like my actual issue then. I haven't gotten back to them in awhile though

After Alético's latest collapse in la liga, they are only 7 points clear of Barça who plays on Monday.  Even a late red card against Getafe wasn't enough to get the 3 points.  They are again struggling to score goals as Félix and Correa aren't contributing like they did in the first half of the season.

This will be an epic collapse from where they were at the halfway point in the season.  They must be really down at this point.  Good for Chelsea to get them now.  Shame that Atleti had to play their home leg in Bucharest or wherever due to COVID, but them's the breaks.

After Alético's latest collapse in la liga, they are only 7 points clear of Barça who plays on Monday.  Even a late red card against Getafe wasn't enough to get the 3 points.  They are again struggling to score goals as Félix and Correa aren't contributing like they did in the first half of the season.

This will be an epic collapse from where they were at the halfway point in the season.  They must be really down at this point.  Good for Chelsea to get them now.  Shame that Atleti had to play their home leg in Bucharest or wherever due to COVID, but them's the breaks.
At least you kept this crazy streak intact:

Euan McTear @emctear

Diego Simeone has coached 19 full matches or 1,710 minutes vs Getafe. And Getafe have scored ZERO goals in that time.

I thought Atletico looked very sluggish until they went up a man, but were unlucky not to convert in the final 25 minutes. Very unlucky on a few of those chances.

At least you kept this crazy streak intact:

Euan McTear @emctear

Diego Simeone has coached 19 full matches or 1,710 minutes vs Getafe. And Getafe have scored ZERO goals in that time.

I thought Atletico looked very sluggish until they went up a man, but were unlucky not to convert in the final 25 minutes. Very unlucky on a few of those chances.
Gotta be better than needing luck to win the title.  Besides, we all know that Real gets the lucky breaks. 

B/R Football @brfootball

Real Madrid confirm that Eden Hazard has suffered psoas muscle injury which reports say could rule him out for 4-6 weeks. Hazard made a 15-minute return to action at the weekend—his first football since January.
I have to think perhaps his best years are behind him.  What an awful run for Hazard since joining Real Madrid.

Him and Dele Alli are two of the biggest head scratchers to me in terms of how far they've fallen.  They looked like elite stars.
I don't see Dele in the same camp.  He's still young enough to get his head screwed on straight or pull it out of wherever it is located.  

Users who are viewing this thread