What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (4 Viewers)

Him and Dele Alli are two of the biggest head scratchers to me in terms of how far they've fallen.  They looked like elite stars.
I don't see Dele in the same camp.  He's still young enough to get his head screwed on straight or pull it out of wherever it is located.  
As far as I'm aware, Hazard's problem is all related to injuries.  My impression is Dele's issues are mostly related to Jose.

United needs to address their holding MF situation in the summer.  McFreddyT does well as a combo against attacking teams when United is set up to counter.  However, when their opponents play a low disciplined block and let United have the possesion, neither Fred nor Mct have the skill or creativity to open a team up.  It leaves United short of a playmaker and relies to heavily on Bruno.  Pogba would help, but even more so, a true creative passing holding MF would allow someone to pair with Bruno in a more attacking role.  Pogba, VdB, Mata would all come in to play making it a front 5 instead of 4.  Carrick in his prime is the perfect example.  

They got the points when everyone behind them (except LCFC) dropped some this weekend, against a very tough WHU.  Next two games are just as big with advancement in Europa and FA Cup in the balance.

In what is likely to be a stepping stone for MLS and Liga MX to combine, today Belgium professional clubs voted in favor of merging their league with Holland. 

This is just one of many steps as UEFA has to make some changes to its rule to allow this to continue.

As you guys mentioned earlier, it now official today.  Zlatan is back in international football and will be joining the Swedish national team again.

I've often encouraged our soccer brethren to stay away from the PSF, to no avail.  

At least have another 'pen name' for that cesspool.  Gets too quiet here during politically heated times (which is all the damn time lately).
I just got a warning like 2 days ago in my OWN TEAM THREAD for something I thought was pretty minimal and was not a personal attack on anyone. Then a deleted comment I saw the Mod quote someone accused me of being in another thread making accusations about me that really aren't true. Just don't agree with my opinion. Plus I was mentioning something I had heard over the years from sources. I didn't get sent to TO but really? The Shark Pool isn't even safe anymore. 

Cavani was suppose to travel with ManU for Europa League clash at the San Siro. However he's not up to it yet. United had 4 players back in training this week with Edison one of them however they pulled him out. Milan on the other hand Had Ibra in Training and could see Hakan comeback and start Thursday evening in Milan 

Probable Milan XI (4-2-3-1): G. Donnarumma; Dalot, Kjaer, Tomori, Theo Hernandez; Meite, Kessie; Saelemaekers, Calhanoglu, Krunic; Rebic.

Also for some reason I can't find the link and I'm too lazy to go through my phone to link it here but ACMilan Mobile had a funny article titled "Micheal in The Rain" It's about former United player and now Assistant with United Micheal Carrick and how he never played until October because Sir Alex Ferguson told him later in his career "Micheal the reason I don't start you unless it's raining or play you is because you play your best in the rain." Carrick even said that Fergy would tell him he wouldn't sub him on during a match in the rain until it was raining harder sometimes. There's no chance of Rain on Thurs at the San Siro however btw. Just a funny little story though.  Actually I did find the original article which was from like 3 yrs ago not the one on Milans Website

Carrick says Ferguson told him he hits top Form in the rain. Carrick not sure if Sir Alex really believed that or just a way to keep him motivated

Cavani was suppose to travel with ManU for Europa League clash at the San Siro. However he's not up to it yet. United had 4 players back in training this week with Edison one of them however they pulled him out. Milan on the other hand Had Ibra in Training and could see Hakan comeback and start Thursday evening in Milan 

Probable Milan XI (4-2-3-1): G. Donnarumma; Dalot, Kjaer, Tomori, Theo Hernandez; Meite, Kessie; Saelemaekers, Calhanoglu, Krunic; Rebic.

Also for some reason I can't find the link and I'm too lazy to go through my phone to link it here but ACMilan Mobile had a funny article titled "Micheal in The Rain" It's about former United player and now Assistant with United Micheal Carrick and how he never played until October because Sir Alex Ferguson told him later in his career "Micheal the reason I don't start you unless it's raining or play you is because you play your best in the rain." Carrick even said that Fergy would tell him he wouldn't sub him on during a match in the rain until it was raining harder sometimes. There's no chance of Rain on Thurs at the San Siro however btw. Just a funny little story though.  Actually I did find the original article which was from like 3 yrs ago not the one on Milans Website

Carrick says Ferguson told him he hits top Form in the rain. Carrick not sure if Sir Alex really believed that or just a way to keep him motivated
Reports are Pogba and VdB traveled and are back to training.  Without Cavani and Martial we will probably see the same side that faced WHU.   No Bailly either.  Would like to see Anand start over James, but probably won't happen.  

As I said above, I would love for an in his prime Carrick to feature in the current United side.  His positioning and passing would allow for a greater attack and creativity.  He was hugely underrated during his time at United.

In what is likely to be a stepping stone for MLS and Liga MX to combine, today Belgium professional clubs voted in favor of merging their league with Holland. 

This is just one of many steps as UEFA has to make some changes to its rule to allow this to continue.
Whoa. Hadn't heard anything about that coming. Seems...drastic. I assume it's born out of financial necessity?

Whoa. Hadn't heard anything about that coming. Seems...drastic. I assume it's born out of financial necessity?
It was first proposed before covid.  Many teams in both Holland and Belgium's first division are tiny.  Some struggle to draw even 5000 fans a game.

The idea is to take the 18 best teams between the two leagues and create one new league that is much stronger financially.  They feel they can unlock much more TV money this way to help them survive. 

They still would keep promotion/relegation as the bottom teams from each country would drop down each year and be replaced by that countries champion.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was first proposed before covid.  Many teams in both Holland and Belgium's first division are tiny.  Some struggle to draw even 5000 fans a game.

The idea is to take the 18 best teams between the two leagues and create one new league league that is much stronger financially.  They feel they can unlock much more TV money this way to help them survive. 

They still would keep promotion/relegation as the bottom teams from each country would drop down each year and be replaced by that countries champion.
So a super-combined top flight, but the lower leagues are still country specific?

Ugh Congrats to @B Maverick Man United for advancing but this knockout was frustrating as a Milan fan. I think anyone on any side will agree Kessie shouldn't have had his goal disallowed for sure. Todays Timori challenge was definitely questionable. However I think Milan outplayed Man United by like 80% of this 2 way tie. We just didn't execute on chances. Man United did on the few times they had. Hopefully both of our clubs can play this again in our rightful places in the Champions League. Always a fun go no matter what though. 

This seems like a favorable draw for Chelsea and Liverpool, with Bayern, City, PSG, and Haaland all on the other side of the bracket. Not that Real Madrid or Porto are a walk in the park, but this turned out pretty well I think.  

This seems like a favorable draw for Chelsea and Liverpool, with Bayern, City, PSG, and Haaland all on the other side of the bracket. Not that Real Madrid or Porto are a walk in the park, but this turned out pretty well I think.  
That's how I felt too.

And the oddmakers agree:  1,2,5,7 on the other side of the bracket.  3,4,6,8 on the Liverpool (11-13% chance to win it) side.

538 with a little bit of a different take though -- they've got Chelsea (18% chance to win it all) as the 2nd favorite, ahead of Bayern.

Both have English teams around 2/3 likely to be the champs.

In terms of the Q-finals:

• Chelsea (81% to advance)
  • City (80%)
  • Bayern (67%)
  • Liverpool (51%)

DJackson10 said:
Ugh Congrats to @B Maverick Man United for advancing but this knockout was frustrating as a Milan fan. I think anyone on any side will agree Kessie shouldn't have had his goal disallowed for sure. Todays Timori challenge was definitely questionable. However I think Milan outplayed Man United by like 80% of this 2 way tie. We just didn't execute on chances. Man United did on the few times they had. Hopefully both of our clubs can play this again in our rightful places in the Champions League. Always a fun go no matter what though. 
Hard fought tie.  With Zlatan coming on the United CBs are strong enough to hold him off or win in the air.  Luckily they did a good job of denying service.  And Hendo with the save on his one header.  Zlatan was offside more times then he completed passes 3 v 2.

I missed the dissalowed goal, what happened?

Favorable Quarters draw for United getting Granada. If they advance they get the winner of Ajax and Roma which will not be easy.

Arsenal get Slava Prague and the winner gets the winner of Dinamo and Villareal

Odds on fave is another all English Final.  Still a tough comp to win.

Ouch

Ryanair@Ryanair

Hi Sean, unfortunately we currently do not fly to Istanbul. Seeing as you are a Liverpool fan, we doubt you'll be flying there any time soon either.

Sean Dowd@SeanDow13459151

What’s the cheapest way to get to Istanbul @Ryanair ? Asking for a freind #CL

Hard fought tie.  With Zlatan coming on the United CBs are strong enough to hold him off or win in the air.  Luckily they did a good job of denying service.  And Hendo with the save on his one header.  Zlatan was offside more times then he completed passes 3 v 2.

I missed the dissalowed goal, what happened?

Favorable Quarters draw for United getting Granada. If they advance they get the winner of Ajax and Roma which will not be easy.

Arsenal get Slava Prague and the winner gets the winner of Dinamo and Villareal

Odds on fave is another all English Final.  Still a tough comp to win.
Was talking about the first leg when they said Kessie "handled the ball" despite every replay saying other wise. It was so bad I saw United fans on twitter even questioning that call 

yeah unfortunately Milan's game on offense is crosses into the box hope and pray Ibra gets a touch on it or a favorable deflection from the Defense to someone else. The offense is way to Ibra dependent which is why many of us want a younger Striker similar skillset 

Was talking about the first leg when they said Kessie "handled the ball" despite every replay saying other wise. It was so bad I saw United fans on twitter even questioning that call 

yeah unfortunately Milan's game on offense is crosses into the box hope and pray Ibra gets a touch on it or a favorable deflection from the Defense to someone else. The offense is way to Ibra dependent which is why many of us want a younger Striker similar skillset 
Ah yes that one.  I agree should have been allowed.  Never saw an angle that would be a clear and obvious handball.  

It is coming........

=====

Today, FIFA President Gianni Infantino for the first time came out in public support of a Liga MX/MLS merger: “The potential in the US & Mexico is enormous. If you could bring those two together, that would be incredible. That could quite well be the best league in the world.”

It is coming........

=====

Today, FIFA President Gianni Infantino for the first time came out in public support of a Liga MX/MLS merger: “The potential in the US & Mexico is enormous. If you could bring those two together, that would be incredible. That could quite well be the best league in the world.”
Sure if you are only counting combined leagues.....

Everyone knows that a 20 or 30 team USA/MEX/CAN league would be really cool.  The question is, how to structure such a league without it ballooning to 40+ teams and a giant mess.  Maybe 2 half seasons with pro/rel in the middle?

Everyone knows that a 20 or 30 team USA/MEX/CAN league would be really cool.  The question is, how to structure such a league without it ballooning to 40+ teams and a giant mess.  Maybe 2 half seasons with pro/rel in the middle?
The viable Canadian teams are likely all built into MLS right now.

There are a handful of teams in Mexico that are on the brink of bankruptcy.  They already had to stop pro/rel to try and stop the bleeding.  I could see a few Liga MX teams not being invited.

But with MLS already at 29 teams by themselves, I don't see any way this does not balloon out of control.  The organization of this will be super tricky but very interesting to follow.  Maybe there is a chance MLS could buy out  a couple of owners to reduce the size but that is going to be very expensive to say the least.

You got to do relegation IMHO. I think the best way is to hold a playoff style tournament. Lowest ranked teams in MLS and MEX/CAN play each other in the playoffs. Clubs knocked out early start the first season in Relagation league. It also brings in big money for the league too that these clubs can split with one another. 

The viable Canadian teams are likely all built into MLS right now.

There are a handful of teams in Mexico that are on the brink of bankruptcy.  They already had to stop pro/rel to try and stop the bleeding.  I could see a few Liga MX teams not being invited.

But with MLS already at 29 teams by themselves, I don't see any way this does not balloon out of control.  The organization of this will be super tricky but very interesting to follow.  Maybe there is a chance MLS could buy out  a couple of owners to reduce the size but that is going to be very expensive to say the least.
Theres a few teams Id buy out off hand already. Why Bring the SJ team back? What other clubs in MLS are struggling. (Whatever happened with the Real Salt Lake controversy? I was following it and all of a sudden it stopped. 

Also the travel in this league will be nuts. MLS already is known for the worst travel (My length gone) and this would make it 100Xs worse considering teams now are traveling back and fourth to Mexico as well? Also does MLS Completely disband the draft now? 

Theres a few teams Id buy out off hand already. Why Bring the SJ team back? What other clubs in MLS are struggling. (Whatever happened with the Real Salt Lake controversy? I was following it and all of a sudden it stopped. 
Those two clubs are worth a small fortune, even as small market teams.  Both have purpose built stadiums.  RSL also has the most expensive development facilities in the country.

In 2019, Forbes put a $275m valuation on SJ and a $235m valuation on RSL and those were ONLY for the teams themselves.  It did not include massive the capital worth of the stadiums and development facilities.  You would probably be looking at close to $800m just to buy out those teams.  There will be costs associated with each state as leases will also be broken likely coming with huge penalties.

It may sound easy to buy out the smaller markets but it is anything but.  That doesn't mean it won't happen, but it will be super pricey.  It might be easier to buy out someone like Kraft who only has about $35m in capital worth associated with the team. 

On top of it, SJ would be a massive market with Liga MX teams playing there given the demographics of the region.  I doubt they would want to give that up.

You got to do relegation IMHO. I think the best way is to hold a playoff style tournament. Lowest ranked teams in MLS and MEX/CAN play each other in the playoffs. Clubs knocked out early start the first season in Relagation league. It also brings in big money for the league too that these clubs can split with one another. 
I would love relegation but getting the owners to agree to that sounds very very difficult. 

They would likely have to promise a 5 year window before relegation would start, and have to be assured of finances if they do drop down to NASL 2 (or what ever they will call it).

I would love relegation but getting the owners to agree to that sounds very very difficult. 

They would likely have to promise a 5 year window before relegation would start, and have to be assured of finances if they do drop down to NASL 2 (or what ever they will call it).
Yeah, I was going to say assure the money and there’s at least a chance they would go for it.  My take: I don’t see what wrong with MLS as it is.  As a MLS fan and season ticket holder my “goal” has never been to have MLS be the best league in the world.  There’s nothing broken for me so don’t try to fix it.  I’m not sure the merged league would be so much better it’s worth it.  And league travel is already kind of rough - imagine if you add a bunch of MEX sides to the equation.  I think I’m a pass.

AAABatteries said:
Yeah, I was going to say assure the money and there’s at least a chance they would go for it.  My take: I don’t see what wrong with MLS as it is.  As a MLS fan and season ticket holder my “goal” has never been to have MLS be the best league in the world.  There’s nothing broken for me so don’t try to fix it.  I’m not sure the merged league would be so much better it’s worth it.  And league travel is already kind of rough - imagine if you add a bunch of MEX sides to the equation.  I think I’m a pass.
I think there is a few things wrong with MLS. Designated player slots, discovery. program, TAM, Draft, etc. Add into the bloating of the league as is with these new clubs and I think there's a ton that can be done to make it better. Not expecting the greatest league in the world but lets make it more sensible 

Milan plan on buying Tomori 

Antonio Vitiello

@AntoVitiello

Il #Milan ha intenzione di riscattare #Tomori. Trattativa nel vivo tra qualche settimana ma c'è grandissima soddisfazione per il difensore in prestito dal #Chelsea

Upgrade your subs for streaming Accordingly folks. Paramount Plus/CBS just acquired Calcio Serie A Rights starting next year. Gutted because I really love everything ESPN does with the crew there. Matteo and Mark Donaldson are great as the #1 commentary team, and Gab, Jurgen and the rest are great for the analysis. 

Marco Bellinazzo

@MarcoBellinazzo

Diritti tv esteri

@SerieA

La prima buona notizia è l'assegnazione negli Usa per il triennio 2021/24. Vince il network Cbs che sta puntando molto di nuovo sullo sport e si è aggiudicata i diritti per circa 55 milioni (dopo una prima offerta intorno ai 40) contro Disney- Eurosport

[Jaime Ojeda] Louisville City FC of the USL Championship (D2), will evaluate during the next 6-12 months if it will bid for expansion to #MLS, as revealed by @SportBusiness. They could take the place that Sacramento vacated. President Brad Estes estimates a fee of $ 350 million.

Upgrade your subs for streaming Accordingly folks. Paramount Plus/CBS just acquired Calcio Serie A Rights starting next year. Gutted because I really love everything ESPN does with the crew there. Matteo and Mark Donaldson are great as the #1 commentary team, and Gab, Jurgen and the rest are great for the analysis. 

Marco Bellinazzo

@MarcoBellinazzo

Diritti tv esteri

@SerieA

La prima buona notizia è l'assegnazione negli Usa per il triennio 2021/24. Vince il network Cbs che sta puntando molto di nuovo sullo sport e si è aggiudicata i diritti per circa 55 milioni (dopo una prima offerta intorno ai 40) contro Disney- Eurosport
this is after CBS has acquired rights to Women's Champions League Brasilia Serie A (Brazil League0, Argentina League and have the Men's Euro and CCL right now. 

In Union news. 

Martinez is only out 1-2 weeks the fear was he broke something and would be out half the year. 

Derek Rae

@RaeComm

11h1/ Some MLS @PhilaUnion news. BILD says St Pauli are on the verge of transferring 20 year old Leon Flach (9 brief appearances/1 goal) from the “Kiezkicker” to Philadelphia. Flach although German by upbringing/parentage, was born in Texas due to his dad’s short spell working there 2/ BILD says the deal would bring around 250,000 Euro into the St Pauli coffers.

Leon Flach headed to Union

Bild also reported today they are looking into. MF who can play LB in the German 4th Division. Leon Flach was born in Texas to German parents. 

Union Rumors

Transfer of Leon Flach to @PhilaUnion is being reported to be announced tomorrow per St. Pauli reports. https://theheartofstpauli.com/2021/03/23/in-the-middle-of-the-season-st-pauli-loses-top-talent-move-to-the-usa/… via @The Heart of St Pauli - News, Rumours, Facts, Reports, Opinions

Lewandowski sidelined

Robert Lewandowski has strained a ligament in his right knee. The FC Bayern striker will be out for around four weeks. After Poland's 3-0 win over Andorra, Lewandowski returned early to Munich, where a diagnosis was made by the German record champions' medical team. The 32-year-old had scored the first two goals in Sunday's match, before having to leave the field after an hour following a clash.
This means he will miss Bayern's matches with PSG in the Champions League.
If he misses all of April, that leaves him with 3 matches to get the 5 goals needed to equal Gerd Müller's record of 40 Bundesliga goals in one season, from the 1971-72 season.

Lewandowski sidelined

This means he will miss Bayern's matches with PSG in the Champions League.
If he misses all of April, that leaves him with 3 matches to get the 5 goals needed to equal Gerd Müller's record of 40 Bundesliga goals in one season, from the 1971-72 season.
Yeah, thats too many matches.  If he wanted to make it tougher he'd come back for only the last matchday...

and yes sucks he got injured.  

That FC Cincinnati stadium is sick.

Wish we could have done something like that, but an enclosed stadium along those lines probably would have killed a couple dozen people a year with heat stroke.
As much as I like our Stadium for the Union I think they could've done a little better. As per usual it was city and team fighting for who paid for what. Plus around the stadium they promised way more economical friendly stuff being built that never was under old management. 

Just wish once Inter get their ISH together they and Milan can make a state of the art Stadio. Hey @El Floppo tell your club to get their dam Economical ISH together so we can build a futuristic stadium for our clubs. You guys are holding up the works!!!!!  :P

Holy smokes, Japan beat Mongolia, in WC qualifying yesterday, 14-0
That includes goals at 90+1, 90+2 and 90+3

I'm thinking Mongolia must have just walked off the field.

Users who are viewing this thread