What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (6 Viewers)

Whew! Now that we have our country all settled, its nice to have extra time and money to focus on other issues in the world.
Thousands of slaves are dying over there. It's a fair fight to pick up.
While I empathize with their plight - we can not save everyone in the world from injustice, and we have far bigger problems in our own country that we can attend to.
Do you think the whole country/government is shutting down to handle this? We can multitask pretty well.
I'm not sure what the end game would be for this kind of thing... ok senators- lets have a vote.... those who think it's terrible that people are dying over there? the ay's have it. now what?
:goodposting:

It almost makes you respect organized crime more for at least having some principles.
That's just because they know they'll be killed if they talk. No such code (Warner's paranoia aside) yet...
Putin has shown to be quick to poison someone for emberassing him, I would be worried if I took a Russian bribe...
oh... I read that as "bride" at first and got excited.
Russian Bribe Draft?

Whew! Now that we have our country all settled, its nice to have extra time and money to focus on other issues in the world.
While I empathize with their plight - we can not save everyone in the world from injustice, and we have far bigger problems in our own country that we can attend to.
Do you think the whole country/government is shutting down to handle this? We can multitask pretty well.
I'm not sure what the end game would be for this kind of thing... ok senators- lets have a vote.... those who think it's terrible that people are dying over there? the ay's have it. now what?
invade Switzerland

IT'S MILNER TIME

Decent free signing I guess
Like this signing a lot...
Solid player, free transfer and English. Yeah probably a good signing.
City has to be very thin on homegrowns.
Was it here that someone posted they were down to 4, with 2 who don't play?
What is the rule exactly? Acamdey homegrown, or just be British? Welsh or Scots count? United Kingdomians, if you will?

IT'S MILNER TIME

What is the rule exactly? Acamdey homegrown, or just be British? Welsh or Scots count? United Kingdomians, if you will?
Cesc counts as home grown iirc

The current rule (which started in 2011 read like this) and had nothing to do with place of birth. It had more to do with how long you have been in the FA

All 20 Clubs must include eight Home Grown players out of a squad of 25 for that Premier League season.

A Home Grown player will be defined as one who, irrespective of his nationality or age, has been registered with any club affiliated to the Football Association or the Football Association of Wales for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons or 36 months prior to his 21st birthday (or the end of the season during which he turns 21).

I believe some new proposals have been made that will affect this including

- Players, irrespective of nationality, will have to be with his club from age 15 to qualify as home-grown

- The number of non-home grown players in each 25-man squad is to be reduced from 17 to 13

- At least two home-grown players must be club trained

I do not know which of these have been adopted.

Last edited by a moderator:
IT'S MILNER TIME

I think the player has to be from an Academy within the FA - so many years before 18 - 3 maybe?

As Gator noted Cesc is home grown, but Dier for Spurs (who is 21 and English) is not because he moved to Portugal as a kid and came up in Sporting's Academy.

The current rule (which started in 2011 read like this) and had nothing to do with place of birth. It had more to do with how long you have been in the FA

All 20 Clubs must include eight Home Grown players out of a squad of 25 for that Premier League season.

A Home Grown player will be defined as one who, irrespective of his nationality or age, has been registered with any club affiliated to the Football Association or the Football Association of Wales for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons or 36 months prior to his 21st birthday (or the end of the season during which he turns 21).

- Players, irrespective of nationality, will have to be with his club from age 15 to qualify as home-grown

- The number of non-home grown players in each 25-man squad is to be reduced from 17 to 13

I don't think any are in effect today - but if adopted, they will be implemented over 4 years.

City would be the most impacted team - they currently have 17 non-homegrown, and 2 players would lose HG status (Clichy and Boyata), meaning they would have to sell 6 non-homegrown players.

Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea, and Newcastle are the other teams that would be forced to sell if the rules were in force today.

IT'S MILNER TIME

Cesc counts as home grown iirc
Lukaku too. Tho I think Cesc may lose HG status under the new rules.

I don't think any are in effect today - but if adopted, they will be implemented over 4 years.

City would be the most impacted team - they currently have 17 non-homegrown, and 2 players would lose HG status (Clichy and Boyata), meaning they would have to sell 6 non-homegrown players.

Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea, and Newcastle are the other teams that would be forced to sell if the rules were in force today.
Boyata just signed with Celtic, so City's already lost him as a home grown.

Like setting up the nba finals on a far better schedule than what it is now
Are they still playing?

Like setting up the nba finals on a far better schedule than what it is now
Are they still playing?
The series starts tonight and should be over by the time the EPL season kicks off

Randin thoughts:

Elche just got relegated by La Liga for tax debts and Eibar will now stay up. Cool, kinda.

I hope tomorrow's final is a great game, even better if Juvie wins it with Pogba playing out of his mind.

Southampton is sniffing around Charlie Austin, who I love even if he brings a whiff of Christo with him.

Victor Wanyama says Arsenal is interested in him but Schneiderlin is the better player and by far the better fit for the Gooners, imo.

Randin thoughts:

Elche just got relegated by La Liga for tax debts and Eibar will now stay up. Cool, kinda.

I hope tomorrow's final is a great game, even better if Juvie wins it with Pogba playing out of his mind.

Southampton is sniffing around Charlie Austin, who I love even if he brings a whiff of Christo with him.

Victor Wanyama says Arsenal is interested in him but Schneiderlin is the better player and by far the better fit for the Gooners, imo.
I admit I haven't been following EPL long - 2-3 years or so... Not trying to be a joker by asking this, but, why does Southampton, more than other clubs, seem to sell their good players so quickly? Wouldn't it be better to keep those players and shoot for a Top4 finish? Or does management not think that a Top4 finish is possible with the "bigger" clubs and it's better to get something for a player rather than re-sign him???

Most people consider Southampton's youth academy the best in England. I saw a CIES study a while back that had Southampton academy as the most profitable of any among the top 5 leagues. It's a great model that is working. I think last summer's transfers all look like great business today with one season's hindsight. They keep many of their players, seem to sell at the right time and also buy well. Bertrand for Luke Shaw +£20m looks fookin brilliant right now.

As usual, I agree with Cletius. I'd worry if the Saints were selling players below their valuation, but that isn't happening. They kept Schneiderlein last year from Spurs. But he played well again and someone is going to pay what he's worth. It's not as if they accept cheeky bids like the lodged for Clune last week.

Saints are asking a pretty penny for both Clyne and Schneiderlin, both of whom are better right now than Shaw, I think we all agree. The risk there is in ripping the league's second best defense apart, what with Aldeweireld also in danger of being lost (his versatility helped them appear deeper than they really were). Fonte and Yoshida have proven a very capable duo but Schneiderlin was exponentially better than Wanyama at keeping the bad guys at bay in front of them. If both fullbacks are also lost, the team changes character very quickly next year.

Soton scouts are reportedly sneaking around the back alleys of Holland and Portugal looking for the next Sadio Mane.

What channel is the Champions final on tomorrow? I can't find it anywhere.
I do not see it either, but it has to be Fox
I'd assume straight up normal Fox, not one of their associated channels.yep- that's what it is here in NYC.
Nice. I'm so used to looking in the 200 channels for these games it didn't even occur to me to look on a regular network for a non-US game. Good to see it.

Yeah, I think Southampton did shrewd business last summer. They did not sell anyone for less than full value, and did an excellent job in replacing those players. Thats a tough ask to do repeatedly, but so far, they are not showing any signs of letting players go on the cheap. Spurs have already made a couple of Levy-esque offers for Schneiderlin, but Soton is not budging on the asking price.

Yeah, I think Southampton did shrewd business last summer. They did not sell anyone for less than full value, and did an excellent job in replacing those players. Thats a tough ask to do repeatedly, but so far, they are not showing any signs of letting players go on the cheap. Spurs have already made a couple of Levy-esque offers for Schneiderlin, but Soton is not budging on the asking price.
absolutely, re: Saints.

and we plus the rest of the world were riding them hard at this point last summer for looking like they were essentially giving up and cashing out with all their top players.

FOX

UEFA Champions League Final JUVENTUS-BARCELONA (live) 2:45 pm.
Does anyone know who the announcers are? Are they Fox announcers or are they using another feed?

I haven't paid much attention to who Fox is using since Gus gave up soccer.
:shiver: gus

eta: not saying it's gus- I have no idea... just the thought of him.

FOX

Does anyone know who the announcers are? Are they Fox announcers or are they using another feed?

Gus and Fox bailed on that experiment.

Sinn Fein said:
Well, er, uh, Scheiderlin is adamant about playing in the Champions League.

7th overall, 1st in class and a Europa League berth is about as high as a team like Soton can aspire to.

Does someone want to start a Champions League final thread for the rest of the board? i gather many people will be interested to discuss.

Ramsay Hunt Experience said:
El Floppo said:
Tom Hagen said:
NewlyRetired said:
FreeBaGeL said:
FOX

it could be worse, it could be Tim Howard on the call :unsure:

El Floppo said:
Tom Hagen said:
NewlyRetired said:
FreeBaGeL said:
FOX

howard, wynalda, harkes... all pretty terrible. but mensa level compared to gus.

NewlyRetired said:
FreeBaGeL said:
FOX

Hmm, need to find a good place to watch this in SF tomorrow. Will be getting back from Alcatraz about a half hour before it kicks off.

NewlyRetired said:
FreeBaGeL said:
FOX

Hmm, need to find a good place to watch this in SF tomorrow. Will be getting back from Alcatraz about a half hour before it kicks off.
Yeah pretty sure I'm taking my kid to a bar tomorrow to watch. Good times.

Related, cord-cutters are #######s. We did it a few months ago, except our OTA antenna doesn't get FOX or NBC. Lame-town. So tired of this and bad streams.

interviewing for the high school job today...thinking about going full kit wanker to show my passion
Good luck Gator.

FYI, I advised my son against going full kit for his U-11 academy try-outs. He had a stunned, hurt expression as I explained that some people just don't like Chelsea. YMMV w/LFC.

I know you guys already bought your tickets, but here's the NYTimes review of the FIFA movie.

It turns out there is such a thing as bad publicity after all. Just ask Sepp Blatter.

As you may have heard, Mr. Blatter, the head of soccer’s governing body, the Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA), has had a busy couple of weeks — avoiding arrest while 14 colleagues and associates were indicted on fraud and corruption charges; winning re-election to a fifth term as FIFA president; deciding to resign.

While he waits for other shoes to drop, he might want to curl up with “United Passions,” the dramatized history of FIFA that the association mostly financed and in which he figures prominently.

Or, maybe not. “United Passions” is one of the most unwatchable films in recent memory, a dishonest bit of corporate-suite sanitizing that’s no good even for laughs. Directed by Frédéric Auburtin from a script he wrote with Jean-Paul Delfino, “United Passions” tracks the rise of the World Cup through three FIFA presidents: Jules Rimet (Gérard Depardieu), who thought up the tournament in the 1920s; João Havelange (Sam Neill), who expanded its reach in the ’50s and ’60s; and particularly Mr. Blatter (Tim Roth), who came aboard in the ’70s as a consultant to Mr. Havelange and succeeded him in the ’90s.

The stories are of deals made — with Uruguay, to host the first Cup in 1930; with African soccer representatives for political support; with Coca-Cola and Adidas for exclusive marketing agreements — not games played. At least not soccer. (Indeed, surprisingly little soccer is shown.)

Yet there is barely a nod to the corruption scandals that have plagued FIFA for decades. Instead, what passes for drama comes when Mr. Blatter assumes command in 1998. He is shocked, shocked, to find affairs in disarray and tells his executive committee there’s a new sheriff in town: “Some of you feel this is an opportunity to close lucrative deals. Think again.” And, “The slightest breach of ethics will be punished.”

Other lines seem scripted by a legal defense team: One staffer tells Mr. Blatter, “You’ve been betrayed by the people you’ve put in power.” Another asks, “When are you going to do something to defend yourself?” Mr. Auburtin and some of the actors, who surely knew better, have made noises about being hamstrung by FIFA’s financing. Not so fast. If cynicism were a crime, they’d be taking a sheet-covered perp walk of their own.

El Floppo said:
Tom Hagen said:
NewlyRetired said:
FreeBaGeL said:
FOX

howard, wynalda, harkes... all pretty terrible. but mensa level compared to gus.
Kind of inexplicably, FOX is using Lalas as their A team color guy while bringing Freidel (who is a natural) in only as a sideline reporter.

forgot about Lalas- he fits right in with that list. would be great to have him and Harkes sit there and just #####, #####, ##### about everything.

roadkill1292 said:
Randin thoughts:

I understand. Eau de Christo is for the ladies.

Users who are viewing this thread