What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (13 Viewers)

You think he'll allow himself to enjoy some good southwestern food, or will he too put off by how much he'd hate himself afterwards and stick with the salmon and vegetables?
He's allowed himself some rest days, so who knows?

He may come back a totally new guy. Hopefully he doesn't turn into a slug like me. 

You think he'll allow himself to enjoy some good southwestern food, or will he too put off by how much he'd hate himself afterwards and stick with the salmon and vegetables?
I hope so, I used to get out to Scottsdale a few times a year with my old job but not anymore. I miss the food in Albuquerque the most.

Stopped my watch mid-run and then accidentally hit "save" instead of "resume," leaving me with two separate activities.  Found a pretty cool utility at gotoes.org that allows you to merge the two activities into a new, combined .GPX file that you can then manually upload to Strava.  Just in case you ever find yourself in need...
I did this all the time with my Apple Watch. :doh: Thanks for the link!

I hope so, I used to get out to Scottsdale a few times a year with my old job but not anymore. I miss the food in Albuquerque the most.
The run I did see from out there was at his usual pre-6:00 a.m. time ...maybe necessitated more by the heat than habit.

Finally caught up with workouts in Strava.  My ancient iPhone 5 was acting wonky, so ended up upgrading to a new iPhone 12 ...look at the old guy!

As Strava shows, after several cautious days, I've started back up on my running.  This includes a recent stretch of three days in a row.  The hamstring tendinopathy hasn't gone away, but if I'm diligent about stretching and moving (and sitting on a pillow for my PC work), I'm getting by well enough.  Fingers crossed (probably for the next four months).

Yesterday a friend and I hiked the Grand Canyon. I’ll spare posting pictures because I’m sure you’ve seen plenty even if you’ve never been there. It’s beautiful scenery, of course.

If you’re curious about the route, we took the South Kaibab trail down to the river and the Bright Angel trail back up. Both trails start at the south rim.  Here’s a good article about the route. 16.5 miles total. 4,380 feet of elevation gain back up.

The Park advises against doing a hike all the way down and back up in one day and there are several warning signs.   Nobody stops you though.  That made the whole thing more interesting to me. Adding to that, it was quite hot in the canyon. The high for the day was 82 at the rim but much hotter as we got lower. I only saw one thermometer and it was exactly at 100. That wasn’t all the way down either. Besides near the beginning and end, there was little shade and few clouds. Sometimes there was a nice breeze but it was spotty.

The way down was when people enjoyed most of the scenery. The way up seemed mostly about finishing. I got nervous after the first three miles down when we basically had the trail to ourselves. We only saw a few other people until reaching the river including a cowboy leading pack mules who told me, “Be careful, it’s hot down there.”  My friend also wanted to take some breaks on the way down which made me nervous on how difficult it might be for him on the way up. I asked him a few times if he wanted to turn back but he was adamant about sticking to our plan.  Although he’s not in the shape he used to be when he used to do Ironmans a decade ago, I trusted that he had a decent sense of his limitations.

It took us longer to get down than we anticipated but the river was great. There was drinking water down there to refill our bottles and it was refreshing to take a quick dip in the fifty-something degrees water. There were some other people at the river but I think some of them were camping down there.

I started my Garmin for the way up. I didn’t think I’d have the battery life for the whole way.

After a few miles we started seeing other people more frequently who also had gone all the way down and most were very nice to chat with. There were a few young people who seemed to be doing great but older people were struggling. Except me, though. I was doing fine. I actually preferred the way up because I was wearing running shoes and sliding a lot on the way down. My friend needed to take lots of breaks to get his heart rate down. His was in the 150s. When I would check, I’d be in the 90s. We were taking lots of breaks, maybe every quarter mile or so. 

With a few miles left, my friend finally let me carry his back and that seemed to help him. When he finished he said it was one of the hardest things he’d ever done.

Overall, I enjoyed the experience despite the struggles. I was very excited when my friend invited me on this trip. I used to hike some as a kid and teenager but stopped as an adult. I’d like to do more but I’d prefer to go at my own pace. Unfortunately I guess that makes hiking with others hard to do.

The Park advises against doing a hike all the way down and back up in one day and there are several warning signs.   Nobody stops you though.  That made the whole thing more interesting to me. Adding to that, it was quite hot in the canyon. The high for the day was 82 at the rim but much hotter as we got lower. I only saw one thermometer and it was exactly at 100. That wasn’t all the way down either. Besides near the beginning and end, there was little shade and few clouds. Sometimes there was a nice breeze but it was spotty.
Very jealous as this is something I've been wanting to do for a while.  We did a little hiking just below the rim around dusk in '99, and we saw a couple of gassed people trying to get back up to the rim.  I remember the one guy telling us his buddy was a mile or so back, which seemed pretty not cool to leave your friend behind in the canyon.  I've thought about splitting it into two days by staying at the bottom overnight, but I'm not sure if I want to camp and I know the ranch fills up fast.

Very jealous as this is something I've been wanting to do for a while.  We did a little hiking just below the rim around dusk in '99, and we saw a couple of gassed people trying to get back up to the rim.  I remember the one guy telling us his buddy was a mile or so back, which seemed pretty not cool to leave your friend behind in the canyon.  I've thought about splitting it into two days by staying at the bottom overnight, but I'm not sure if I want to camp and I know the ranch fills up fast.
I still have R2R2R on my goal list for this year.  Not doing it in June, though!  October is the target.

Guys -- I need some help and some advice. What would you do?

I have three marathons scheduled:

London (October 3)

Boston (October 11)

Indianapolis (November 6)

I'll run all three but I’m trying to figure out which one I should “race”. 

Obviously it won’t be Boston….I’ll make that either a fun run or a training run.

So it comes down to London or Indianapolis.

The benefits of racing London are:

·    It’s a major – and all my majors have been faster than 3:21. 

·    London is a fast course (but I’m not sure its faster or slower than Indy).

·    If the weather sucks in London, I could call an audible and decide to race Indy.

·    If I race London, I would be able to lead a pace group at Indianapolis. (I’m confident as I have a connection with the race that I’ll get a pacer slot.) 

The negatives of London are:

·    Travel – and its not only from New York to London but four days prior to my London flight, I’ll be flying from Seattle to New York. My flight to London is a red eye on Wednesday night landing in UK on Thursday AM. (race is on a Sunday).

·    My wife is going so she will want to do some sightseeing (we have been to London previously, but it was 18 years ago.) So resting may be more challenging than normal.

The positives of racing Indy are:

·    I am familiar with the course

·    It’s really easy logistically.

·    I could use Boston and London as training runs.

Negatives of racing Indy

·    Travel concerns are not as dramatic, however,  I may have a mandatory work presentation on mid-day Friday (already a hold on my calendar) so I wouldn’t get into Indy till later on Friday night for the Saturday morning race… Not ideal.

·    If the weather is bad or my stomach is bad or there are GI issues, I have no backup plan and a race after that time frame is probably not going to happen as my wife will be sick of my running at that point.

This is all for a 2023 BQ attempt.  I already have a 12 minute buffer for 2022.  If I don’t BQ for 2023, I could:

·    Try again in the spring of 2022, but that requires a winter full of hard training. 

·    Skip 2023 Boston

I welcome anyone’s thoughts or perspectives. What would YOU do?

As you can see, I put a lot of thought into this stuff.  #OCD

Guys -- I need some help and some advice. What would you do?

I have three marathons scheduled:

London (October 3)

Boston (October 11)

Indianapolis (November 6)

I'll run all three but I’m trying to figure out which one I should “race”. 

Obviously it won’t be Boston….I’ll make that either a fun run or a training run.

So it comes down to London or Indianapolis.

The benefits of racing London are:

·    It’s a major – and all my majors have been faster than 3:21. 

·    London is a fast course (but I’m not sure its faster or slower than Indy).

·    If the weather sucks in London, I could call an audible and decide to race Indy.

·    If I race London, I would be able to lead a pace group at Indianapolis. (I’m confident as I have a connection with the race that I’ll get a pacer slot.) 

The negatives of London are:

·    Travel – and its not only from New York to London but four days prior to my London flight, I’ll be flying from Seattle to New York. My flight to London is a red eye on Wednesday night landing in UK on Thursday AM. (race is on a Sunday).

·    My wife is going so she will want to do some sightseeing (we have been to London previously, but it was 18 years ago.) So resting may be more challenging than normal.

The positives of racing Indy are:

·    I am familiar with the course

·    It’s really easy logistically.

·    I could use Boston and London as training runs.

Negatives of racing Indy

·    Travel concerns are not as dramatic, however,  I may have a mandatory work presentation on mid-day Friday (already a hold on my calendar) so I wouldn’t get into Indy till later on Friday night for the Saturday morning race… Not ideal.

·    If the weather is bad or my stomach is bad or there are GI issues, I have no backup plan and a race after that time frame is probably not going to happen as my wife will be sick of my running at that point.

This is all for a 2023 BQ attempt.  I already have a 12 minute buffer for 2022.  If I don’t BQ for 2023, I could:

·    Try again in the spring of 2022, but that requires a winter full of hard training. 

·    Skip 2023 Boston

I welcome anyone’s thoughts or perspectives. What would YOU do?

As you can see, I put a lot of thought into this stuff.  #OCD
IN before someone tells me to go balls out in all three races.

I would race London.  Not sure if this is your first time running that race, but if so that's the one you race.

Leave your mark on that course in case you never get back there again.

I would race London.  Not sure if this is your first time running that race, but if so that's the one you race.

I agree.  Your ability to race Indy after the other two, however 'slow' you might run them, will likely not be ideal.  Race the premier race, and suck it up for the sightseeing with your wife.  

London, though. 

You know your body, but trying to go after a third marathon in a month seems... Tough.

I’d race London 

I agree.  Your ability to race Indy after the other two, however 'slow' you might run them, will likely not be ideal.  Race the premier race, and suck it up for the sightseeing with your wife.  
So it's settled. London it is!

Good Luck @SteelCurtain!  You better get a pic of you in one of those guard costumes holding a shovel.

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol:

No, you are 100% correct.

Those guys have a lot more "want to" right now than I do. I'm in a bad rut right now. Need to somehow get out of it. I'm all kinds of lazy at the moment. 
Honestly, roll with it. Do what makes you happy for now. You'll get your motivation back. 

Juxtatarot said:
Yeah, curious about which trails to the rims and whether he’d run overnight with a headlamp.
Probably Kaibab.  Aim to do single-day, starting very early (0400 or so).  Thinking about 17hrs to do it, with lots of walking.

I was all ready to go for it last October, but my bail out option on the north rim was unavailable due to COVID.  I was going to do the first half, see how I felt, and if my ability to return was doubtful, then I could hop a shuttle at the north rim, which would take be back to the south.  But it was shuttered for COVID, and I wasn't willing to go 'all-in' on the effort.

I've done the single-day elevation before, it would be the distance and heat providing the additional challenge.

So I now have a hotel booked in October, just before the water access is shut off (freeze) for the season.

But given my injury (more in the next post), it's all still up in the air.

ETA:  I've done a ton of research on this (I spend more time reading about races/efforts than actually racing) and tried to use Strava logs to see if "someone like me" can accomplish this.  And I believe that's the case, just looking at people who have done it, and their other racing/mileage stats.

Guide A, B

"Race" Reports AB, C, D, E

Shuttle from the North Rim to South (my bailout option)

Phantom Ranch weather forecast (at the bottom, where it gets hottest)

Map with water locations

Walmsley's FKT

Strava of a more regular (but still fast) dude

Strava of someone with running stats closer to mine

Went and saw the new PT yesterday.  He spent an hour with me, mostly just chatting about my injury and goals, and then some time with tests.  He had the MRI from a few weeks ago, so my diagnosis wasn't really in question.  He didn't rush me, and he took the time to listen to my goals and approach.

Despite what we talked about on the phone, he told me that trying to train while rehabbing this injury is not recommended.  It's just going to get worse, if I don't take time off and get things to settle.  At which point I need to start back only to the extent that I'm pain-free.

####### sucks.  I was in peak shape Feb-Apr of this year, and I should have just tried to race then.  Instead I focused on Miwok (which got canceled again), and then the injury hit me.  

In the grand scheme of things, I know this is peanuts compared to real-world problems.  But I'm bummed.  

:kicksrock:

So, @SteelCurtain, race London.  You don't know what's going to happen between that and Indy.  And besides, if you can pace Indy, it would be really cool for me to be in your pace group!

Probably Kaibab.  Aim to do single-day, starting very early (0400 or so).  

I was all ready to go for it last October, but my bail out option on the north rim was unavailable due to COVID.  I was going to do the first half, see how I felt, and if my ability to return was doubtful, then I could hop a shuttle at the north rim, which would take be back to the south.  But it was shuttered for COVID, and I wasn't willing to go 'all-in' on the effort.

I've done the single-day elevation before, it would be the distance and heat providing the additional challenge.

So I now have a hotel booked in October, just before the water access is shut off (freeze) for the season.

But given my injury (more in the next post), it's all still up in the air.
Even after getting a little experience with the Canyon, I have no idea how I’d do attempting  R2R2R. But I’m a flat road racer, not an ultra guy.  It’s interesting to think about even if I’m quite sure I’d never do it.

Even after getting a little experience with the Canyon, I have no idea how I’d do attempting  R2R2R. But I’m a flat road racer, not an ultra guy.  It’s interesting to think about even if I’m quite sure I’d never do it.
I updated my post above with a bunch of links.  You would kill R2R2R.  One thing I've found with my trail running is that BMF street runners are 99% BMF trail runners.  The reverse doesn't seem as true.  Your HR going up the canyon is a clear sign that it was cake for you.

I'd love to join @gruecd in the spring, or you if you ever try it, but it would be me waving to you from the rim, and then not seeing you again until you passed me on the return.  Need to find someone more my speed.  :)

Some nice big runs today, boys :thumbup:

Had planned longer, but had my first bear attack in a while. I anticipated it thankfully, and cut into city streets where I knew I could hop a citibike if needed. It was needed.

Eta...I was feeling good too...was trying guessed at marathon pace of 7:40ish and felt like I could have kept going for a while. 

not going to lie... felt like a bit of a badass today... nothing super speedy or anything but knocked out the D.IN.O. 15k today as literally my first run in a month. Spent about 5 hours yesterday afternoon/evening building a storage shed in my yard. My legs are kind of screaming about now. Working on finishing up the shed today but between the run and the heat, I'm kind of dying out there. Now that the high school season is over, it's time to get busy again. 

Did a kettlebell workout yesterday and it apparently destroyed me.  First strength workout in a looooooong ### time.  Squats got me and my run today was pretty sad.

I'm hoping to get in 3 strength workouts a week in addition to my marathon training --- they officially announced we are a go for Columbus and opened registration  :towelwave:

Oh, and my last day of work was 5/28.  Spent most of last week in Chicago for my nieces 5th birthday...but now it is go time  :thumbup:  

I have 19 weeks until race day and am going to set my training schedule this weekend.  Hansons plan is 18 weeks, but I am going to have 11 days at Marco Island in July.  I'm thinking of starting on week 2 since I am already ahead in my base training, then do as much as I can while in Florida, but plan to repeat those two weeks when the vacation is over.  That should line up my timing.  Anyone see any issues with that thinking?

Did a kettlebell workout yesterday and it apparently destroyed me.  First strength workout in a looooooong ### time.  Squats got me and my run today was pretty sad.

I'm hoping to get in 3 strength workouts a week in addition to my marathon training --- they officially announced we are a go for Columbus and opened registration  :towelwave:

Oh, and my last day of work was 5/28.  Spent most of last week in Chicago for my nieces 5th birthday...but now it is go time  :thumbup:  

I have 19 weeks until race day and am going to set my training schedule this weekend.  Hansons plan is 18 weeks, but I am going to have 11 days at Marco Island in July.  I'm thinking of starting on week 2 since I am already ahead in my base training, then do as much as I can while in Florida, but plan to repeat those two weeks when the vacation is over.  That should line up my timing.  Anyone see any issues with that thinking?
I think that makes sense.  Hanson’s relies on cumulative fatigue so do your best to keep your legs tired during vacation.

it’s funny, because I usually run MORE on vacation, because I finally have some free time.  🤷‍♂️

Anyone interested in doing a 4x4x48 this upcoming weekend?  4 miles, every 4 hours, for 48 hours.

Or you could do 4x4x24.

I know it’s a long shot but seeing if anyone wants a physical and mental challenge this weekend.

….counting down until I see Chief’s “No.”

I could start Thursday night and end Saturday as my wife and I have dinner plans Saturday night so I might want to have it done so I can enjoy the food and drink that evening.

Anyone interested in doing a 4x4x48 this upcoming weekend?  4 miles, every 4 hours, for 48 hours.

Or you could do 4x4x24.

I know it’s a long shot but seeing if anyone wants a physical and mental challenge this weekend.

….counting down until I see Chief’s “No.”

I could start Thursday night and end Saturday as my wife and I have dinner plans Saturday night so I might want to have it done so I can enjoy the food and drink that evening.
You should’ve just sent @gruecd a PM. About the only person in here crazy enough to do something like that.

Users who are viewing this thread