What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (11 Viewers)

I tried out the Alphaflys for the first time this morning for my 600s. I didn't like how they felt during my warmup and they were very loud.  When it was interval time I was sold within a few strides, I've put in a lot of work over the past 11 days so I had tired legs going into this, but I was able to get through this fairly comfortably and I am sure the shoes helped. For the cool down miles and put my Ghosts on and it felt like I was running almost barefoot being so much closer to the ground.

I get to try these things for real on Sunday for the Broad Street Run, unfortunately the suck index will be around 120. It will be a challenge to get in the miles the next two weeks with Broad Street this week and Bourbon Chase next week.  

LOL - I’ve been waiting for you to hit me up.  I follow all Atlanta and Georgia Tech teams so I may as well just punch myself in the nuts every morning and just skip the games.

Sure - let’s do it.  
Awesome.  Our teams are polar opposites.  Brewers' top-3 starters all have ERAs in the 2s, but team hasn't been able to hit its way out of a paper bag lately.  Braves' pitching is OK, but your guys can mash.  Strength versus strength.  Braves have more momentum, but Brewers are more well-rested after not playing a meaningful game in 2-3 weeks.  Should be fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fort Ben HM Race Report

First the self shaming... from August 22nd until October 1st, I ran a combined total of 31.2 miles. That was 3 weeks of 0.0 miles, 1 week of 7.2 miles, 1 week of 11 miles and 13 miles last week on 2 runs before Saturday... So then Saturday rolls around and I figure I'd just go do what I could and see how it turned out.

I set the following goals, just to give me something to think about why trudging along:

• Just finish the damn thing - check
  • No walking - check (although pace up the hill at mile 11 was a jog/shuffle, imo)
  • Run at a mostly consistent pace - check (mostly - hill gets an *)
  • Be under 2 hours - check
  • Try to be about 1:55 or just under - X
Pre-race - got up plenty early, had a movement and out the door with my breakfast to eat on the drive over. Couple cliff bars and a banana with a large glass of water. Got to the parking lot and the only 'warmup' was going to be the 1/2 mile or so walk to the starting area. Then got in line for another movement, which was significant. Finished up and came out of the port o pot right as the national anthem was playing. Hustled over to the starting line, ignored the "wave A" on my bib and looked for the 1:55 and 2:00 pacers. Fell in with them in wave B just as wave A was sent out on their way.

Miles 1 and 2: 8:38 (HR 140), 8:48 (144)

First mile is a gentle descent into the park and 2nd mile is nice and flat through the park before exiting out the backside to get to the first of 2 hills on the course. I was feeling pretty good here with a little too much energy... started to pull ahead of the 1:55 pacers and but realized that was dumb and made myself slow. Chatted with the 2 of them for awhile until we neared the 2 mile mark. 

Miles 3 - 7: 9:07 (155), 8:46 (161), 8:40 (163), 8:35 (166), 8:30(167)

Toward the end of mile 3 is the beginning of the first hill and I started losing the 1:55 pacers a bit but I was ok with that. Miles 4 and 5 also are more or less uphill. My goal was to just stay calm and not work too hard until we got back out on 56th street, where I knew it would level out. I used the flat area from mile 4.25+/- to mile 7 to slowly catch back up to the 1:55 pacers, which I did at about the halfway point of the race. I could always see them but actually being beside them was nice.

Miles 8-10: 8:46 (168), 8:36 (169), 8:50 (173)

Here you turn back into the park and end of mile 8 into mile 9 goes back downhill. I really wanted to use this to pick up a little time on the pacers that I could use for the hill coming back out of the park, but just didn't quite have that. Mile 10 is nice and flat through the park and combo of my pace and my HR, I knew things were about to get tough. 

Miles 11 and 1: 9:36 (171), 9:04 (175)

Toward the end of 11 is a lovely hill. It's not that much - like 70 feet up over .2 miles at the worst but it might as well have been a mountain. This year they embraced strava segments for it - they had special timing mats out for that section and had it all labeled as the "kill the hill challenge". A number of people went cruising past me here to get a time on that segment but I just did a slow crawl up the hill. Mile 12 is back out of the park with a little bit of a climb but not too bad. I tried to pick it back up a little but didn't have a lot in me. I lost sight of the 1:55 pacers by the time this was over but I knew that I was still going to be comfortably under 2 hours.

Mile 13 and the finish: 8:47 (171), 1:58 for .23 miles (8:33 pace, 158 HR?)

The last mile+ is basically flat but with a number of turns. I know where the finish is, but it isn't really visible until the very end. I had a few people near me that I was trying to pick off as motivation to get there as fast as possible. The last .23 says I had a little something left but it wasn't a ton. I was definitely feeling the end of this one. 

Official Results: 1:56:41, 318 of 1032, 240 of 550 men, 15 of 50 AG

All in all I'm happy with the effort. Hoping to get a solid month of actual running in between now and the Monumental, where I just now changed my entry to do the half marathon. Goal there is to see how long I can keep up with Mr. London Marathon Smasher before he splits off to pace his group towards Broad Ripple while I take the shortcut to the finish line. 

@The Iguana - honestly, it's pretty impressive to essentially roll out of bed and run a 1:56:41 HM. That just speaks to how much natural talent you really have.

It's so tough to get motivated to run, and I know you struggle with this (as I do, obviously). But man, a result like this hopefully lights a bit of a spark under you to get you moving more often.

But no matter what you decide, keep doing what you can. ANY movement is good movement. 

For some part of the rest of the weekend, I did contemplate trying to do something dumb and actually still do the full marathon - @Zasada saying something about planning to do it as a run walk had me tempted. Even this morning it took everything I had to push the button to officially change the entry. One part of me is going to be really really sad to make that left hand turn when the split happens but it will be much more enjoyable. Also, hope it will be something that gets me motivated again to tackle the rest of the year and 2022 with a much more consistent effort. 

I hit a couple of milestones this week, although I'm still more treading water than doing anything to kick things up a notch.  Just slipped in above 100 miles for September, making it 12 straight months with 100+ miles.  Also, my long run on Saturday put me at 1,006 miles for 2021, which beats last year by a few weeks for the earliest I've gone over 1K.  Laziness and nothing on the race calendar still combining to keep me from doing SoS it seems.  I will probably run the turkey trot next month, so I may start doing some intervals to gear up for that.

I tried out the Alphaflys for the first time this morning for my 600s. I didn't like how they felt during my warmup and they were very loud.  When it was interval time I was sold within a few strides, I've put in a lot of work over the past 11 days so I had tired legs going into this, but I was able to get through this fairly comfortably and I am sure the shoes helped. For the cool down miles and put my Ghosts on and it felt like I was running almost barefoot being so much closer to the ground.

I get to try these things for real on Sunday for the Broad Street Run, unfortunately the suck index will be around 120. It will be a challenge to get in the miles the next two weeks with Broad Street this week and Bourbon Chase next week.  
Do you think the cushioning in the Alphaflys might result in less impact on the joints than a normal shoe? We usually think of race shoes being worse than trainers in this regard but your comments have me wondering.

Do you think the cushioning in the Alphaflys might result in less impact on the joints than a normal shoe? We usually think of race shoes being worse than trainers in this regard but your comments have me wondering.
I have only run 6 miles in them, so I am far from an expert. I thought this was interesting:"

There is a research study that came out in November 2019 by Cigoja, et al, called, ‘Does increased midsole bending stiffness of sport shoes redistribute lower limb joint work during running?’ (1). This study found that placing a full carbon plate in a shoe reduces the amount of work at the knee joint and places that work back into the foot. This is relevant because a previously published study by Sanno et al (2) has shown that as runners fatigue during a long run, there is a shift in work from the ankle to the knee. When there is a shift in work from the ankle to the knee your body begins to rely on muscles and muscle-tendon units of the knee that are not as good in storing and releasing energy as those of the ankle. Therefore, reliance on the muscles of the knee for propulsion is significantly more energy taxing.

What Sanno’s study suggests is that if a runner can reduce the work redistribution away from the knee and back to the ankle as he/she fatigues, that runner can theoretically reduce the onset of fatigue by reducing energy expenditure."

All my PRs have been set wearing Ghosts (with the exception of the 1 mile - T7 Racer), so I am new to this but I'm not worried about the amount of cushioning in the Alphafly. If you do try them on, don't be surprised if they feel uncomfortable standing still in them. 

Has someone already compiled a list of everyone running Indy?  I'm not gonna be able to stick around long after the race (catching a flight to KC for Packers/Chiefs the next day that just got moved up from 7:11 to 3:46pm), but I think it would be cool if we could all get together for dinner on Friday.  Once I get a head count, I can make a reservation for everyone who'd like to join.  Let me know.
So far I've got:

Me & my buddy

@pbm107 & his sister

Mr. & Mrs. @gianmarco

@Juxtatarot

@bushdocda

@The Iguana(maybe +1)

@SteelCurtain

@Zasada (tentative)

I'm gonna call tomorrow at try to make a reservation somewhere (hopefully Iozzo's) for 12 people at 6pm.  

PS:  Anybody hear anything from @Harris lately?  Wasn't he planning on running, too?

I'm not getting an official diagnosis, but I'm almost certain I've been dealing with elevated cortisol and it's caused my recent issues. To reiterate what I wrote before, I think I stopped myself before I went over the edge with my training but I certainly went (a nudge?) too far. More to it but one example is while my HR on workouts hasn't been a big issue my recovery has. Earlier September my recovery pace was getting to the low 8's with HR's around 130. Lately those recovery's have been quite a bit slower and I've had issues keeping my HR below 140. My right calf has been sore for several days, left calf worse, right hammy's not happy, and I noticed a bruise on my abdomen this morning. Early stages of taper madness? Sure, but there's more going on than just that.

I think work stress has been the primary trigger, but for all intents and purposes the cause doesn't matter...as long as I don't let it happen again. Point is, it happened and now I need to deal with it. I've already punted today's workout and am undecided about Thursday. If my HR is behaving then I may go more distance than a recovery today, but that'll be a decision for mile 4. So, any suggestions? literature? I'm not in a panic about being ready to race later this month, but rather want to make the appropriate adjustments now to ensure that I am.

I'm not getting an official diagnosis, but I'm almost certain I've been dealing with elevated cortisol and it's caused my recent issues. To reiterate what I wrote before, I think I stopped myself before I went over the edge with my training but I certainly went (a nudge?) too far. More to it but one example is while my HR on workouts hasn't been a big issue my recovery has. Earlier September my recovery pace was getting to the low 8's with HR's around 130. Lately those recovery's have been quite a bit slower and I've had issues keeping my HR below 140. My right calf has been sore for several days, left calf worse, right hammy's not happy, and I noticed a bruise on my abdomen this morning. Early stages of taper madness? Sure, but there's more going on than just that.

I think work stress has been the primary trigger, but for all intents and purposes the cause doesn't matter...as long as I don't let it happen again. Point is, it happened and now I need to deal with it. I've already punted today's workout and am undecided about Thursday. If my HR is behaving then I may go more distance than a recovery today, but that'll be a decision for mile 4. So, any suggestions? literature? I'm not in a panic about being ready to race later this month, but rather want to make the appropriate adjustments now to ensure that I am.
Do you trust your heart rate monitor that much? Mine seems off a lot. I don’t think it is me.  Maybe test the old fashioned way. I also like to take note of my breathing since they should be related.

Do you trust your heart rate monitor that much? Mine seems off a lot. I don’t think it is me.  Maybe test the old fashioned way. I also like to take note of my breathing since they should be related.
At any one moment in time, no. As an aggregate picture, yes. I have felt consistently horrible during this high stress period at work. When I go out to run that feeling sustains for some period of time - whether it's 5 or 15 minutes. Some days I don't break through that fog and shut it down early while others I seem to run out the stress and finish much better than I started. There's been a strong correlation between my aHR and these good vs bad days. 

Boooooooo.

Come on out and join the party!
I wish I could. Not in any condition to run the half and there is too much going on right now in my household. 

1. Daughter in hockey - two days a week

2. Oldest son in high school soccer - two to three games a week right now. Praise the Lord he is 16 now and able to drive.

3. Second son in cross country and hockey - one meet a week plus I have to pick him up at practice a couple times a week. Then he has hockey practice and games are now starting.

4. Re-seeded my lawn so I have to find time every day to water that. Sometimes I'm watering in the dark til 10 pm. 

5. Driveway, garage floor, and front steps and stoop is supposed to be replaced this fall, but they are way behind so who knows. Big expenditure though.

6. Unplanned vehicle replacement (well, sort of planned but wanted to wait another year). Wife's 2004 Suburban is sucking down anti-freeze these days. Not putting ten more cents into this vehicle. The positive is I get a new F150. The negative is I have to buy a car in the worst car buying environment in years. Yay Me!

7. Have a cardiac stress test this Friday, so hopefully that clears me of any potential heart stuff as I try and figure out why I feel like #### all the time. 

It's been a brutal fall to be honest - clearly my running schedule has suffered greatly. I've been trying to squeeze them in as I can.

On the bright side, once cross country and high school soccer ends here this month it will free up time to get back on schedule. My plan in my head right now is once that happens, I'm going to try and go full bore for my usual spring half in early April. 

I wish I could. Not in any condition to run the half and there is too much going on right now in my household. 

2. Oldest son in high school soccer - two to three games a week right now. Praise the Lord he is 16 now and able to drive.

3. Second son in cross country and hockey - one meet a week plus I have to pick him up at practice a couple times a week. Then he has hockey practice and games are now starting.

4. Re-seeded my lawn so I have to find time every day to water that. Sometimes I'm watering in the dark til 10 pm. 

5. Driveway, garage floor, and front steps and stoop is supposed to be replaced this fall, but they are way behind so who knows. Big expenditure though.

6. Unplanned vehicle replacement (well, sort of planned but wanted to wait another year). Wife's 2004 Suburban is sucking down anti-freeze these days. Not putting ten more cents into this vehicle. The positive is I get a new F150. The negative is I have to buy a car in the worst car buying environment in years. Yay Me!

7. Have a cardiac stress test this Friday, so hopefully that clears me of any potential heart stuff as I try and figure out why I feel like #### all the time. 

It's been a brutal fall to be honest - clearly my running schedule has suffered greatly. I've been trying to squeeze them in as I can.

On the bright side, once cross country and high school soccer ends here this month it will free up time to get back on schedule. My plan in my head right now is once that happens, I'm going to try and go full bore for my usual spring half in early April. 
:ptts:

Can't hook up a few sprinklers to a timer?
I can but someone has to move them.  My wife works from home but she doesn't really have time to do it and I honesty don't want her to drag a sprinkler across my new grass and try and set a timer over and over.

She's very smart but common sense stuff can be a challenge. She would do more damage.  :lol:

Much of my yard is currently turning into a giant mud pit as they is a lot of work going on. Going to need you to come put it all back together when they are done for me, imo! 

#1-3: Quit fretting over your running and just enjoy these years with the kids.  Several years from now, they'll be out of the house (mostly).  Relish this time and all the surrounding craziness.  You can run more when they're gone. I've heard that there's much to be said for later-in-life running.  

#4: My nephew worked at a lawn & garden center for a couple of years, and his mantra is "every day for a week, every week for a month, then let mother nature do her thing."

#7: See #1-3.   :yes:

#1-3: Quit fretting over your running and just enjoy these years with the kids.  Several years from now, they'll be out of the house (mostly).  Relish this time and all the surrounding craziness.  You can run more when they're gone. I've heard that there's much to be said for later-in-life running.  
Right, as evident throughout summer I was skeptical I should be even making an attempt at a BQ, but ultimately I chose to in part because I realized I'm not going to have the time to do it in a future year. Our oldest is not athletically gifted nor interested, so his developing extracurriculars don't eat into training time. That's not the case with the younger two though. My evenings and weekends are going to be full of their activities in the near future, so it's about time to say bye bye to endurance training. As a result it's now when relatively insufficiently prepared - or not at all. And I'm okay with that. Isn't anything wrong with being a 10K'er...give or take.

Have you given yourself a day or perhaps even 2 in a row off?  This doesn’t sound like you. Stress is stress so it’s not just the training so however you can ease the edge off of whatever stressors would help. Massage would be relaxing and help the body to boot. Running by feel for a couple days perhaps too and just allow an ease off a tad even if your analytical mind is telling you to push/peak.  

For the record, "shape" should have nothing to do with coming to hang out and go for an easy long run with some friends, imo. Family stuff, on the other hand, is more than understandable. And if you ever let yardword keep you from a couple beers with buddies, you are doing it wrong! Yard work sucks. 

Have you given yourself a day or perhaps even 2 in a row off?  This doesn’t sound like you. Stress is stress so it’s not just the training so however you can ease the edge off of whatever stressors would help. Massage would be relaxing and help the body to boot. Running by feel for a couple days perhaps too and just allow an ease off a tad even if your analytical mind is telling you to push/peak.  
While I had not taken any rest days in some time I took the foot off the gas last week then I finally took an actual rest day on Sunday. I think that ensured I didn't go over the cliff. Given my HR readings on the 14 mile goal MP run Sep 25 I am mildly surprised I've been dealing with this. Had my HR gone haywire I'd have pulled the plug early and what I've been experiencing the last 10 days is exactly why. I suppose I was already past the line before that run, I dunno.

And the stress is absolutely more than just training. I don't remember if I shared this before but over the last 3 months there was a wave of unrelated resignations in my area. Before it I was essentially #3a on a team of 10. I've been #1 on a team of 6 (and now 7) since August though. I've been essentially tasked with doing the jobs of #1, #2, and #3b (as well as my own 3a work) during our busiest time of year while amidst peak training. A new #1 is starting in a few days, but it will be some time before she's acclimated and takes some work off my plate allowing me to settle into my new #2 role. Then hopefully at that time we can make informed decisions as it relates to the still vacated 3b and my own former 3a positions. So it isn't like there's a light at the end of the tunnel either.

Yadda yadda yadda, it goes without saying that had I known this would happen I would not be trying to qualify for Boston right now. 

EDIT: and I have a massage scheduled race week. Wife's given me a couple and promised more, but I'm gonna need the work of a pro too.

gruecd said:
I'm gonna call tomorrow at try to make a reservation somewhere (hopefully Iozzo's) for 12 people at 6pm.  
Iozzo's was booked solid, but I scored a reservation at Maialina at 6pm.  It's not within walking distance, but it's hard finding someplace decent that will take a reservation for a group that big on a weekend night.  Menu looks pretty solid.

@SteelCurtainand @MAC_32, the shoes shipped out today. I can’t guarantee the shoes will make it to you based on the employee at UPS. Guy was pretty clueless, and I didn’t have the shoes boxed up. I sent a specific color way to each of you. Hoping they actually make it to you, please report back what color you received, so I know if he messed up like I suspect. Hope you guys enjoy the shoes. @MAC_32, I completed forgot your real name while in the store. So, when the guy asked for your first name, I said “Mac.” Last name, “32.” 

The Iguana said:
For the record, "shape" should have nothing to do with coming to hang out and go for an easy long run with some friends, imo. Family stuff, on the other hand, is more than understandable. And if you ever let yardword keep you from a couple beers with buddies, you are doing it wrong! Yard work sucks. 
It's more the big wad of money I've had to outlay for this vehicle and driveway project. If I ask my wife for more I'll have to sell some shovels. And that ain't happening.

Plus, I have to grue-proof the house for @gruecd the next day.

The last time he was in KC he broke my cooler. I can only imagine what he could do to a house. 

It's more the big wad of money I've had to outlay for this vehicle and driveway project. If I ask my wife for more I'll have to sell some shovels. And that ain't happening.

Plus, I have to grue-proof the house for @gruecd the next day.

The last time he was in KC he broke my cooler. I can only imagine what he could do to a house. 
You would be so disappointed in my lawn but been aerated, seed & fert for early fall.
You lovingly watering until 10pm 🤯

I have a series of sprinklers that I under use bc my dog goes ham when they are on and I can’t always have a wet dog despite his thoughts on the matter. 

Hello running people, I have been running for about two years now and am planning on taking it up several notches in the near future.  Here are some basic stats:(all runs are on treadmill)

5'7 176(previously 225) 

41:00 10K(pb), at roughly that weight

41:04 10K with a mask on. I feel this was my peak. Was about 163 then.

52:55 10K today, casual run. I don't do casual well. Always feel similar fatigue compared to hard run.

53:36 8M, maybe my best run

1:15:00 10M, a while ago. Very comfortable

37:30 10K is my goal

I'm more concerned with a faster 10K than adding distance for now. Will definitely add some long runs, but goals are 10K related.  Currently have no intentions for any events.  This is strictly an ego trip. I'd like to get my weight down to 150-55, but not too worried about the number. At my lowest, I was eating about 500 calories of sweets a day, so I'm hoping some weight loss comes easily. Also still had a decent belly at my lowest, so I figure 150 is possible.

I run on the treadmill 6x/week. Was at roughly 40M/week during most of the pandemic. I'm in hospitality, so work is of little concern for now. Hence why I want to really get after it.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. 

Hello running people, I have been running for about two years now and am planning on taking it up several notches in the near future.  Here are some basic stats:(all runs are on treadmill)

5'7 176(previously 225) 

41:00 10K(pb), at roughly that weight

41:04 10K with a mask on. I feel this was my peak. Was about 163 then.

52:55 10K today, casual run. I don't do casual well. Always feel similar fatigue compared to hard run.

53:36 8M, maybe my best run

1:15:00 10M, a while ago. Very comfortable

37:30 10K is my goal

I'm more concerned with a faster 10K than adding distance for now. Will definitely add some long runs, but goals are 10K related.  Currently have no intentions for any events.  This is strictly an ego trip. I'd like to get my weight down to 150-55, but not too worried about the number. At my lowest, I was eating about 500 calories of sweets a day, so I'm hoping some weight loss comes easily. Also still had a decent belly at my lowest, so I figure 150 is possible.

I run on the treadmill 6x/week. Was at roughly 40M/week during most of the pandemic. I'm in hospitality, so work is of little concern for now. Hence why I want to really get after it.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. 
What sort of structure / types of runs comprise the 40 mile week normally and what were you doing leading to the peak 10k?  More time spent on easy miles with faster sessions increasingly woven in are generally the reduced injury risk path. 

There is a lot of speed and endurance work between a 41 min 10k and a 37 min 10k but time and dedication make things happens. Take a look at this for some ideas and good luck. 
https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/training/10km/a27810445/10k-workout/

Users who are viewing this thread

• xulf