What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (3 Viewers)

I haven't done diddly squat lately. Between feeling like crap and the Royals in the World Series, I have been a lazy turd. Time to sign up for a race.

Looking forward to meeting Mr. Speedy (pbm) on Sunday for a 10K in Philly. :excited:

I'm not sure what to expect since I'm in a bit of uncharted territory. I'm running more post-marathon now than I ever have before, granted it's not a lot. I haven't really found a groove since my marathon - I'm just kind of aimlessly running right now. Although I've run faster during longer races, my official 10K PR is really soft @ 42:06. So, I'm sure I'll PR, but outside of that I think anything under 40 will be a success.
Predictions...

pbm: 36:58

Ned: 38:50

Looking forward to meeting Mr. Speedy (pbm) on Sunday for a 10K in Philly. :excited:

I'm not sure what to expect since I'm in a bit of uncharted territory. I'm running more post-marathon now than I ever have before, granted it's not a lot. I haven't really found a groove since my marathon - I'm just kind of aimlessly running right now. Although I've run faster during longer races, my official 10K PR is really soft @ 42:06. So, I'm sure I'll PR, but outside of that I think anything under 40 will be a success.
Predictions...

PBM: 37:30

Ned: 39:15

I'd be thrilled with either of those times!

I can't wait to see what pbm puts down. His training has been super impressive.

Predictions...

I think this looks about right. Ned should definitely be under 39.

I'm actually running a 10K this weekend too. Pushing my 2 year old and running with the wife though. Obviously, it's halloween themed. Should be fun. My wife's PR is like 52 minutes and I'm going to make sure she destroys that time Saturday. :boxing:

Good luck pbm, Ned and Hang 10 this weekend. :thumbup:

Went out last night for 4.15 miles. Weather was nice and cool. Acorn fell out of a tree, bounced on the ground and back up and hit the tip of my jimmy john. Freaking awesome. :lol:
Were you running on flubber or are you hung like a horse?

Good luck, dudes!

I think I decided last night that instead of running Boston next spring, I'm gonna do the Warsaw Marathon in Poland instead. Plane tickets are relatively cheap in the spring, and what I'll spend on airfare I'll save on lodging, since we can stay with my fiancée's friends/family while we're there. Factor in the savings on food/drinks with the favorable exchange rate, and the trip might actually be cheaper than Boston, and it'll be a super awesome experience.

Went out last night for 4.15 miles. Weather was nice and cool. Acorn fell out of a tree, bounced on the ground and back up and hit the tip of my jimmy john. Freaking awesome. :lol:
:lol:

My 6yr old loves to say when he gets hit in the nuts "owwwwwwww you hit me in the acorns!"

Some of us are mid-foot or heel strikers. Chiefs is a #### striker.
Does Vibram make an anatomically correct shoe for that?

Good luck to the 10k trio this weekend.

Ned/pbm, I hope the cornhole goes well though it might be more interesting if you came back to report you were generally unimpressed with each other.

Ned/pbm, I hope the cornhole goes well though it might be more interesting if you came back to report you were generally unimpressed with each other.
I'm looking forward to Sunday as I expect a big PR, get to meet Ned, and my taper for the marathon officially begins once the race is over.

This training cycle has been really good to me, but I am ready for the taper. Training for two marathons in one year is something I have never done before and I think the consistent running over the year is main reason why I improved so much this cycle but I am tired and looking forward to a break.

Nothing would surprise me more than finding out Ned is #### IRL.

Some of us are mid-foot or heel strikers. Chiefs is a #### striker.
Does Vibram make an anatomically correct shoe for that?
No, I wear Nude Balance.

I'm looking forward to Sunday as I expect a big PR, get to meet Ned, and my taper for the marathon officially begins once the race is over.

This training cycle has been really good to me, but I am ready for the taper. Training for two marathons in one year is something I have never done before and I think the consistent running over the year is main reason why I improved so much this cycle but I am tired and looking forward to a break.

:lol:

I promise I won't pull a Nigel on you.

:lol: I promise I won't pull a Nigel on you.
Wait, I feel like I missed something here. You guys aren't planning on sleeping together on the first date, are you?

ETA: be sure to wear your heart rate monitors if you do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wait, I feel like I missed something here. You guys aren't planning on sleeping together on the first date, are you?

Please don't. :X

I feel really good for this one. I was nervous for the first one, but now I know how motivating the environment is. This race has about 3 times the runners of my first race. Last night I ran each mile faster than my previous and that was a first. Usually I start too fast and tail off. This time I started solid and maintained and even slightly increased. I'm hoping to crush my PR tomorrow.

Gator Shawn said:
I feel really good for this one. I was nervous for the first one, but now I know how motivating the environment is. This race has about 3 times the runners of my first race. Last night I ran each mile faster than my previous and that was a first. Usually I start too fast and tail off. This time I started solid and maintained and even slightly increased. I'm hoping to crush my PR tomorrow.
You will crush it.

Gator Shawn said:
Where's the damn unlike button?!?

:D

Gator Shawn said:
Where's the damn unlike button?!?

:D
Ward, don't you think you're being a little hard on the Beaver?

Please don't. :X
Well that escalated quickly. :oldunsure: IIRC.... Pulling a Nigel is telling your cornholeee that you're wearing different colors than you really are in case you need to bail.

Nice work, Gator!

Ran our 10K this morning. I'll be honest it was tough to take it easy and hang with the family when I'm pretty sure I'd PR but in the end it was a lot of fun. Paced my wife to a 1 minute PR with a 51:24. She was stoked and my daughter was an angel. She actually fell asleep before the race was over. Good times!

Here's a pic of our crew: https://instagram.com/p/9gyi-_Jos1/

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work, Gator!

Ran our 10K this morning. I'll be honest it was tough to take it easy and hang with the family when I'm pretty sure I'd PR but in the end it was a lot of fun. Paced my wife to a 1 minute PR with a 51:24. She was stoked and my daughter was an angel. She actually fell asleep before the race was over. Good times!

Great pic! Looks like a good time, and congrats to the Mrs on a PR!

Nice work, Gator!

Nice Mrs. Hang 10! And a great pic to boot. :thumbup:

A buddy of mine is running the NYC marathon today and the live tracking for this race is awesome. It's real time distance and time. Meaning you don't wait for timing mats but you just see EXACTLY their place on the course. Gotta love technology.

Watched my son race his last high school XC race Friday; and what a race it was. Since he first broke 20 as a freshman he has had it in his head that he wanted to go sub 17. He PR'd as a sophomore in his last race that year running a 17:27. A thigh injury set him back last year and he could "only" get down to 17:35 by the end of the season. The last month saw him go 17:36 on a tough course two weeks ago and a 17:22 PR last week so he was cutting time, but I thought sub 17 might be a stretch. MAN did he show me; blowing up with a 16:52 and a 30 second PR just six days after the 17:22. It was really an amazing race for him. This a a 20 team, 140 man D1 Varsity Regional. He was 26th after a mile and came through the 2nd mile in 12th :jawdrop: I seriously had to ask the guys I was running around the course if I was seeing what I was seeing. On this course I typically set up about 250 yards out. Coming in, he was in a pack running close to the 15th spot needed for an automatic bid to states. In the end, he just missed states finishing 17th; with his teammates right ahead of him in 15th & 16th. The crusher was that their typical #1 who runs in the low 16s had some kind of set back an ran a 17:21. His team missed the 3rd state team qualifying spot by just 5 points. While down, I think he it taking not going to states OK and is so proud of how hard he worked to get under 17 (likely softened a bit because he did get to race at states last year with the team). I was really lucky to get to watch six straight years of HS XC between my kids.

Congrats to your boy, what a great way to finish his HS career...awesome!!
Has your daughter wrapped her season? If so, how did she end up?
Missed a couple of meets mid season with a knee issue, but last week went sub 20 (19:54 3M) for first time which was a goal of hers. Has a couple of meets left.
Congrats to your boy, what a great way to finish his HS career...awesome!!
Has your daughter wrapped her season? If so, how did she end up?
Missed a couple of meets mid season with a knee issue, but last week went sub 20 (19:54 3M) for first time which was a goal of hers. Has a couple of meets left.
Awesome. Hopefully she stays healthy from here on out and has a shot at the state meet!!

My best training week since early February (due to interruptions of tapers and injuries). Definitely benefiting from the flexible academic scheduling that allows me to stretch some mid-week runs (and drive to locations for some runs).

46 miles for the week:

T: 12 mi. 8:38/mi. ...HR 145 (some loops that continually swing me across expressway overpasses, which allows me to get some 'urban hill training')

W: 4 miles easy

Th: 10 mi. 8:16/mi. ..HR 152 (drove to a wonderful new course with rolling terrain and some moderate hills * )

S: 5 miles, sporadic while following my school's CC teams

S: 15 mi. 8:34/mi. ...HR 151 (drove to explore a new dirt/gravel trail)

* Chicago guys: We'd recently joined the Morton Arboretum (as I mentioned on FB), and they allow runners on the roads that loop through the grounds. A main loop is about 4.5 miles; a second loop is about 2 miles. They have some crossroads, too, so I can build a lot of variety. It's a beautiful setting, and early in the morning (they open at 7 a.m.), hardly anyone is there. They're paved roads, but it's still a beautiful place to run. Today's 15 miler was on the Des Plaines River Trail ..started up near the Kennedy x-way (east of O'Hare) and went north, which had very few cross streets. Near the end of the run, I had quite a stare-down with a very big buck that was planning to cross the trail.

Hang - Congrats to your wife on her PR.

2Y2BB - Still can't believe he's a Sr already!!! Congrats on a killer ending to a great HS career. Is he going to focus on the 800 again for track?

tri-man - So glad to see you back in the saddle. Just hasn't seemed right without seeing your weekly training logs. :thumbup:

Met up with pbm today for the Run The Bridge 10K; he's a good dude. Hoping we can hook up for more races in the future!! We got to run our 2mi warm-up on the bridge, which was pretty cool and handy to get a look at what sort of incline we'd have at the start.

I'm right where I thought I'd be at, fitness wise. Ran 39:46 today for an official* PR (*I've run faster in longer races last year). Man, I had to work my ### off for that. 10K is the most painful distance for me.

The course was pretty cool. You start at the base of the Ben Franklin bridge in Camden, NJ and run across the Delaware River to Philly. Turn around and go back up and over the bridge. I did well to hold back at the start so I didn't kill myself on the nearly mile long uphill on the bridge, but I spent a lot of energy trying to make up that lost time on the downside of the bridge. My dumb### didn't think far enough ahead to realize I'd be going back up over the bridge again. :no: :X

Developed a cramp at mile 2 that sort of ebbed/flowed but never really went away. I distracted myself with a few guys that were around me. One of which came up on my at mile 4 sounding like he was going to keel over and die at any second. He passed me, but I knew that'd be short lived. We were fighting a decent headwind after the mile 4 marker which then took us to a small hill at mile 5. I passed him and had a great back/forth race with 2 guys over the last 1.2. I was able to outkick them at the end (they're both old dudes - kudos to them!).

1-6:34/175

2-6:14/184

3-6:27/183

4-6:23/183

5-6:40/185

6-6:23/185

6.2-5:52/maxed at 189

This was a pretty loaded field! Finished 7/132 AG and 55/2271 OA.

2Y2BB - Still can't believe he's a Sr already!!! Congrats on a killer ending to a great HS career. Is he going to focus on the 800 again for track?
Thanks!! To get him in 3 events per meet, it'll probably be the 400 (with an 800 here and there vs weaker schools) so he can also do the 4x800 and 4x400 as well. He PR'd the 400 last year with a 52.1 that he thinks he can get closer to 50 flat or better. Michigan has an incredible indoor track series over the winter that are $5 drop events with a state championship at the end. He and his buddies want to do a bunch of the relays as they have some cool SMR and DMR events that they do not normally see in the outdoor season. I think racing his way into race shape will set him up well for a strong outdoor season in the spring.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
Thanks!! To get him in 3 events per meet, it'll probably be the 400 (with an 800 here and there vs weaker schools) so he can also do the 4x800 and 4x400 as well. He PR'd the 400 last year with a 52.1 that he thinks he can get closer to 50 flat or better. Michigan has an incredible indoor track series over the winter that are $5 drop events with a state championship at the end. He and his buddies want to do a bunch of the relays as they have some cool SMR and DMR events that they do not normally see in the outdoor season. I think racing his way into race shape will set him up well for a strong outdoor season in the spring.
Holy ####! Breaking 50 is a HUUUUUUGE benchmark. :excited: :tebow: Best I did was 53.6. Kid's got wheels!!

Tri - we used to run at the Morton arboretum in hs if we had a long run day. We would sneak in the back since it was faster to get on the trails that way. Back then, that park was free anyways and the trails were mostly wood chip. I agree great place to run, or walk.

I will commonly see deer on the Des plaines river trail when I'm out there at the crack of dawn. Very rare for me to see one mid-day.

Nice run Ned! Of course, if I was not in a car while in Camden, I'd be running my ### off too. I just wouldn't run back once I left!

Users who are viewing this thread