What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (14 Viewers)

Definitely need to get together for a pre-race photo or something!  Where's everybody staying on Friday night?  I highly recommend the Renaissance in Carmel (one of the host hotels).  Very runner-friendly with a shuttle to the race on Saturday morning and guaranteed late (1pm) checkout afterwards.
That's where we are staying. I think juxt is also.

Looking to get singed up for another HM.  My best option (trying to stay local) is one March 30th.  I'm one of those that without a race and a plan I'll find it difficult to get out of bed and run.  

Anyone suggest a solid 8 week plan?  Would like to get the weekly millage in the 25-30 range.  

I wish I could join you guys, but I have to go to California for work that weekend. 

Considering racing Virginia Beach Marathon and making Boston a fun run.  Anyone run VA beach before?  Thinking @Hang 10 has.
I ran it in 2017, good fast flat course.  Weather conditions weren't good that year- raining, cold, and windy. I ran it like an idiot, first half too fast. The post race party in the tent is a lot of fun, lots of people drinking.

Funny story, at least for me, about intervals - and seeing pbm's run on strava reinforced already thinking about today...

In high school we were running 400 intervals for cross country. Had to run 16 of them at pace. After a few of them I started hatching a plan and after about maybe half of them I tried to enact it... during the jog portion I mentioned to coach that it was my birthday and these were taking a bit. With family coming over to celebrate, I was pretty sure I was going to have to end early to get home. Coach kind of got this smirk he often would and made some small talk asking a few questions about who was coming over, etc and asked how old I was. "17", I brightly answered as it seemed he was about to cut me free after a couple more. You probably can guess... we all got to run 17 quarters that day to celebrate my big day.

And then during each jog back to the starting spot, he would get some kind of words of wisdom in and/or just needle me about the effort to get out of them. Tried to tell me it needed to become a birthday tradition - just add 1 more each year! He did promise that I would remember that day for the rest of my life. 30 years later, it is one of my favorite memories of him and cross country. 

My senior year you can bet that I kept my mouth shut when the day rolled around... but somehow we just happened to run 6 "LA's" as he called them - sprint a 200 all out, brief pause, repeat, brief pause, repeat. Then light jog across the football field to recover and start over again. For those doing the math, yes, that happened to be 18 200's for the day. Allegedly a pure coincidence... 

I really need to pay more attention to the weather.  I saw snow/mix for this morning, decided to run this evening and didn't look again.  Now clear this morning, mix this evening.  UGH.  

@ChiefD nice to see you get in yesterday’s WO. Enjoy rest day. 
Thanks. Appreciate that.

Everything felt pretty good when I left work yesterday so I figured may as well get it in. Woke up this morning and sinuses are packed again. So off to the doctor after work, a fire in the fireplace, and a nice rest day. Look forward to this day every week.  :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I'm not going to run the Rehoboth HM; I'm just not prepared.  I could go out there and plod through it, but if I'm being honest with myself, I just won't enjoy doing that much.  I'm fine physically, I'm just not there mentally yet.  As the race date gets closer, I am feeling as if I'm forcing myself into it and that's not how I want to do this.  I started feeling guilty 2 weekends ago when my planned 12 went to #### (literally almost #### myself :lol:  ) and I only was able to run 6.  I realized later that day that this guilt isn't healthy and  it's not what I want out of running right now.  I have been enjoying my runs and want to keep it that way.

We are extremely busy with the kids and I'm spending almost all of my free time hunting right now.  I know it's going to go over like a fart in church, but racing just isn't a priority in my life right now to where I shoehorn workouts into my daily schedule.  I may hop into a 5K or two sometime soon if it fits the schedule, but we'll see.  I'm contemplating the Delaware HM in the spring, which gives me more time to properly train without feeling like I'm forcing the issue.
In case you're considering running the Rehoboth HM in December, the price goes up after tomorrow.  I signed up for the full this morning.

This pacing thing is starting to get a lot bigger.  I've been asked to pace in Baltimore in the fall, at some Philadelphia half marathon at end of March, NJ marathon in Spring. 

My wife won't be happy.  Gotta be careful managing this!  Ha ha.
You're a natural. Just like Seinfeld filming Death Blow. 

This pacing thing is starting to get a lot bigger.  I've been asked to pace in Baltimore in the fall, at some Philadelphia half marathon at end of March, NJ marathon in Spring. 

My wife won't be happy.  Gotta be careful managing this!  Ha ha.
You're not taxing yourself with the races, so wouldn't she enjoy traveling with you and having a weekend/long weekend in the cities?  She gets to shop and relax in a nice BnB or AirBnB while you do the pacing thing.  :shrug:    Same concept for @gruecd getting a run or two in while traveling out west with the Mrs.

And one more post... this one actually on running. Did my first attempt at an interval type run today. That was fun. I set it up for more of a long interval with lots of time to recuperate. Will have to look into how I really want to do the next one but this one was fun. 

I ran a 1/2 mile "off" at 10 min/mile (X5) and 1/2 mile "on" at 7:05 min/mile (X4) on the treadmill. A few notes:

• my race pace for the 1/2 marathon less than 3 months ago was 9:57 per mile. That was my rest pace here and was plenty of rest.
  • 8.5 mph or 7:05 miles seemed like my "eyes were too big" when I entered it but running a half mile at that pace was more than doable, even on the 4th one. 
  • HR would go up to about 160ish, pretty consistent. Recovery rate was 130 to 140
First time I've done anything like that since high school, I'm pretty sure. Probably should do a little more research and planning for future ones but learned some about myself there and knowing there is a lot more I can do to improve.

Fun... fun... fun!
10K/BMF Full MembershipTM granted.

:hifive:       :banned:

You're a natural. Just like Seinfeld filming Death Blow. 
I don't care about Brody. I was up on 96th Street today, there was a kid couldn't have been more than ten years old. He was asking a street vendor if he had any other bootlegs as good as Death Blow. That's who I care about. The little kid who needs bootlegs, because his parent or guardian won't let him see the excessive violence and strong sexual content you and I take for granted.

You're not taxing yourself with the races, so wouldn't she enjoy traveling with you and having a weekend/long weekend in the cities?  She gets to shop and relax in a nice BnB or AirBnB while you do the pacing thing.  :shrug:    Same concept for @gruecd getting a run or two in while traveling out west with the Mrs.
Normally i would say yes.  But kids are 10 and 13 so still too young to leave at home. 

Also, lots of these races provide hotel but you share it with another pacer so I’d have to get my own room.  

signed up for the NYC lottery... I'm 1/4 with that so far. 

been maintaining my weekly pickle guys run of 5-7.5m at conversational pace (9+/mile). added a new member who is in his 2nd year running, and in gung-ho mode with NYRR signing up for pretty much every race he can. this helps keep the conversational pace a little brisker- even if he's doing most of the conversation.

I didn't get into the NYC 1/2 lottery. 

I'm still in the "need to start adding midweek runs" mode... but it feels good getting a few miles under my belt every week regardless.

at least with the full, I'd stand a good chance of pr-ing. 1/2s and 10ks not likely.

signed up for the NYC lottery... I'm 1/4 with that so far
Good luck!

I ran NYC back in 2009 when it was still sponsored by ING and a business connection helped me get an entry from them.  If I can run sub-2:58 at Carmel, I'll qualify for a time-qualifier entry for 2020.  Who knows if I'd actually run it again or not, but it would be cool to say that I qualified and to have the option...

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck!

I ran NYC back in 2009 when it was still sponsored by ING and a business connection helped me get an entry from them.  If I can run sub-2:58 at Carmel, I'll qualify for a time-qualifier entry for 2020.  Who knows if I'd actually run it again or not, but it would be cool to say that I qualified and to have the option...
sweet jeebus, gb... when is carmel (and I assume it's CA?)?  it's different than the Big Sur marathon, right?

pretty sure I documented my 2007 NYC race in here. complete ####-show, in terms of thousands and thousands of people in front of me not being honest about their projected pace times. felt like I was in a rugby scrum until I hit the 59th street bridge trying to get through people while on my own projected pace.

Wow, this is a really good read (and something to which a lot of us can probably relate):  Is Running a Threat to Your Relationship?
Interesting read. My wife and I have a pretty good thing and seemingly always have but a few years ago I had gotten into working out a lot more. She didn't. It put a certain strain on things - mostly based on me making physical improvements while she was "stuck". I was doing it just for me and had no problems were we were but the more I gained (or technically lost, i.e. weight), the more she kind of hated anything I was doing in a "work out" sense. Eventually I fell off the wagon - part was work, part I am sure was that it made things easier at home even though she never asked me to quit or anything.

That's one of the awesome things this time around. Part of the motivation has been the 2 of us having some less than stellar check-ups/incidents. I actually had a TIA a couple years ago - fun times. Getting a new doctor and doing physicals told us what we both already knew but got us both motivated to "get back to it". This time around she actually got on the train first about a year or so ago but really seriously about 6 or 7 months ago. Took me really until September/October to join her but the 2 of us doing it together is way different and better all around. 

She has 0 desire to run or do the things I'm doing but we go to the Y together often. I either run on the treadmill or lift while she goes to one class or another. Or we both go to the gym and lift together on the machines - easy to swap out the weight on them. It's fun to do stuff together and awesome for us to be able to both talk about progress we have made along with a number of side benefits. 

Hey @Brony can you post/link that pain scale thing I think you shared in the past?  Trying to figure out a high hammy thing. It aches more when I’m sitting and I could run but lean towards I shouldn’t.  Bagging both workouts this week sucks and will go easy instead I think. PT not until the 11th but hoping for a cancel spot. 

Hey @Brony can you post/link that pain scale thing I think you shared in the past?  Trying to figure out a high hammy thing. It aches more when I’m sitting and I could run but lean towards I shouldn’t.  Bagging both workouts this week sucks and will go easy instead I think. PT not until the 11th but hoping for a cancel spot. 
I think this link is pretty close to what I was using before. Haven't thought about this in long time :knocksonwood:

It put a certain strain on things - mostly based on me making physical improvements while she was "stuck". I was doing it just for me and had no problems were we were but the more I gained (or technically lost, i.e. weight), the more she kind of hated anything I was doing in a "work out" sense.
Man, oh man, can I relate to this.  I do think I can help things, though, by (a) being truly present when we are together, and (b) taking more of an active interest in some of the stuff that she likes, regardless of how absolutely stupid they are  :P

Hanson’s calls for speed work to be 1 minute per mile faster than MP.  So 5:52 it is!

Or maybe I should just say I’m a BMF. 😊
I have a question about this. I thought that particular workout was supposed to be MP minus 10 seconds? Am I reading that wrong on their plan?

I have a question about this. I thought that particular workout was supposed to be MP minus 10 seconds? Am I reading that wrong on their plan?
Steel is referring to speed workout. You are referring to strength WO that you’ll get to in a few weeks after the speed runs. 

So, now that I just passed the halfway point of this training cycle, I thought it would be a good idea to look back on my previous marathon training cycle in 2016 for some comparisons. These are just some random observations:

1. Last week I ran 48.6 miles. In 2016 during week 9 I ran 14.8 miles. WTF. (I was fishing in Wisconsin that week)

2. I didn't ever run a 48 mile week in 2016. The most I ever ran was 47.4, and that was in week 11. 

3.The first 9 weeks in 2016 I ran a total of 211 miles. The first 9 weeks of this cycle I have run 316.7 miles

4. I did hardly any speed work in 2016. 

5. I have not missed a workout this cycle. I clearly missed some during 2016.

6. The weather that summer in 2016 was brutal. The weather this cycle has actually been pretty favorable - the last few days being the outlier.

So to make a long story short (and to counter my pity post from a few weeks ago), I am in better shape at this point vs 2016 by far.  Other than this cold this week, my body feels strong. I basically am feeling little to no fatigue in my legs the day after a workout. 

I have also lost about 4 pounds, which I attribute to less beer consumption during the week and on weekends. All in all, so far so good.  :thumbup:

It put a certain strain on things - mostly based on me making physical improvements while she was "stuck". I was doing it just for me and had no problems were we were but the more I gained (or technically lost, i.e. weight), the more she kind of hated anything I was doing in a "work out" sense.
Man, oh man, can I relate to this.  I do think I can help things, though, by (a) being truly present when we are together, and (b) taking more of an active interest in some of the stuff that she likes, regardless of how absolutely stupid they are  :P 
Good article by Sarah (I've met her and her husband a couple of times).  The balancing act can be tough, perhaps especially so in my case as our "special time" is pretty much always in the morning.  And she sleeps in on weekends longer than I do, and would like nothing better than to just Netflix and chill all morning in bed.  So sometimes I have to put off a run to make sure that happens, as it is important to both of us.

Your two points are good ones - when you are together be present and be interested.

@gianmarco I wasn't really running that fast today... still working on figuring out how to calibrate my new watch when running different speeds on the treadmill. Today was actually intentionally done at exactly 6.8 mph or 8:49/mile pace. HR topped out just over 144 at the end of just over 5 miles - which is pretty amazing on it's own considering where it would have been a couple months ago when "only running" just under 9 minute miles!

Man... this is fun! 

I had a go outside at - 5F today. First mile was a little uncomfortable at my ankles that were exposed; right big toe was essentially numb. This cleared up and rest of the run went fine, albeit breathing through the bacalava was a little more work. Frozen eyelashes were minor prob but the hands and dong stayed warm and those are usually the worst. 

Once finished, my bacalava was frozen on my neck. As a bonus, my vision was all in pink for a couple of minutes. 

Not sure the numbers but January has most productive month in a while. I will be stoked when sidewalks open up again. 

Next thing you know, you innocently click on a so-called helpful link from @Ned about cold weather attire and the next thing you know, all your banner ads on facebook and other sites are about crotchet sleeves and knitted sheaths for your dong.  From a guy who's been there, trust me... you don't want this.
I happened to Google "chemise" yesterday to check the spelling for a crossword puzzle I was working on (and then drilled down to a couple of images just ..because).  Subsequent banner ads have been -appealing-.  

oh yeah... also with my run today, I broke 80 miles for the month. I know some of you do that by the 3rd of the month and all but for me that's something. 

Should break 100 in February... at least that's the plan.
Nice work!  Having successive "monthly bests" is very rewarding for me too.

Users who are viewing this thread