What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (14 Viewers)

Also, these runs need to be the only thing on the run.  
Just to dot my i's and cross my t's. In the unlikely event my May 17 marathon happens then with the amended schedule I either need credit for a 10k within the race or I will record a zero. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah...that's not going to help.

But if it does- help a guy out with it=info. Tia.

Also... relevant article in the ny daily news
I'm terrible with this. I constantly snot rocket and spit when I run, especially in the mornings when it's cold (like under 55 degrees - that's for you @gruecd).  I've definitely made an extra effort the past week to direct my expulsions as far off the trail as possible.  Of course I'm also in areas where only a handful of people are going to pass through on a daily basis, not a busy sidewalk or bicycle path.

• Love
Reactions: JAA
Okay, I'm declaring this a "go."

The FBG-BMF Spring 2020 Race Series

To win; to shelter in place; or to show

# of teams: 2

Team captains@gruecd and @Juxtatarot  

Format: Every participant will run the designated distance during the designated race window.  Slight variances in the distance run are acceptable as we'll be using the average pace.  Label your result in Strava (e.g., FBG-BMF 5K).  Non-Strava participants are allowed, though subject to Captain Grue's scorn.  Such participants must post documentation of their time (e.g., screenshot/photo of watch).  But Strava's great, so sign up.    

Races: This is a three-race sequence with a winning team for each round, based on average pace for the team:

- 5K ...run it on any day between April 16-19

- 10K ...run it on any day between May 14-17

- 1 mile ... run it on any day between June 11-14

Participants: Approximately 20-24 with the listing arranged via separate postings.      

Expected results: To aid in the draft and confirm participation, each participant must post estimated 5K, 10K, and mile times, based on where they expect to be in mid-April, May, and June.  Timidly posting artificially low times will make the participant subject to all of our scorn.  I.e., be realistic, factoring in training benefits over coming weeks.  Please post the times by the end of the weekend (March 22).   Failure to post will lead to disqualification from the race series.  Give the captains something to work with!  

Draft: The captains will conduct their draft after participants' times are all available (so early in the week of March 23). Captains, in all of their wisdom, will need to adjust for possible race conflicts and recurring/new injuries.  The draft can be public or private (via email communications).  The latter might be best.  Serpentine draft?  Probably.

Drop-outs: If a participant is absolutely unable to compete, attempt will be made to find a replacement of lessor or equal value.  If no replacement can be found, that team's lowest participant time will be counted twice as a substitute.

Right now there's 20 people that seem to have put their name in the hat - I took chief's "no" to be an "of course!"

@The Iguana

@Brony

@tri-man 47

@pbm107

@JShare87

@ChiefD

@MAC_32

@SteelCurtain

@gianmarco

@Juxtatarot

@SayWhat?

@Harris

@gruecd

@Dr_Zaius

@Zasada

@El Floppo

@Alex P Keaton

@-OZ-

@JAA

@bushdocda

Who else and/or did I miss anyone?
20 listed above, but @ChiefD is a "no," and I respect that.  But add @SFBayDuck and @xulf, which puts us at 21.

Per the instructions, make a brief post with your estimated 5K, 10K, and 1 mile times.

@SFBayDuck and @SayWhat?, can you independently arrange comparable course arrangements for the 5K and 10K?  It might make sense to have one of you mountain men on each of the teams.  Other than you two, everyone else can comfortably pick a flat, loopish course.

20 listed above, but @ChiefD is a "no," and I respect that.  But add @SFBayDuck and @xulf, which puts us at 21.

Per the instructions, make a brief post with your estimated 5K, 10K, and 1 mile times.

@SFBayDuck and @SayWhat?, can you independently arrange comparable course arrangements for the 5K and 10K?  It might make sense to have one of you mountain men on each of the teams.  Other than you two, everyone else can comfortably pick a flat, loopish course.
I told my wife she's doing this. So you can count her in. If teams end up uneven, she can drop out and can also be a sub. 

I think duck and I  should just run roads like real men.  No reason to segregate us into a separate division with times that are non-comparable to every other runner.  I think it would be tough for us to find comparable trail terrain too.

That’s my .02.  

And holy #### am I going to be throwing darts with projections for 1mi, 5k, and 10k.   :loco:

This is terrible timing, as I’m likely to require ER care by participating in this thing.

I think duck and I  should just run roads like real men.  No reason to segregate us into a separate division with times that are non-comparable to every other runner.  I think it would be tough for us to find comparable trail terrain too.

That’s my .02.  
Fair enough.  While the competition aspect will be fun, this is ultimately just about motivation to train and run over the next couple of weird months.  So agreed - you two, like all others, can pick a route and use that for your time estimates.

I’m not very well parsed with 5K and 10K, but something seems off here.  No?
In April I will be a punk. In May, I’ll be back to being a BMF. Hopefully. Knee is messed up right now. Surgery scheduled in 6 days. Probably not happening, so I plan to tough it out. Either way, my times should get better as time goes.

Feel free to include a little bio/recap of how your training has been going, any nagging injuries, time for the 3-cone drill, reps of 225, etc.

In April I will be a punk. In May, I’ll be back to being a BMF. Hopefully. Knee is messed up right now. Surgery scheduled in 6 days. Probably not happening, so I plan to tough it out. Either way, my times should get better as time goes.
After I posted I was thinking that you were still a bit injured.  Get well you BMF! 💪

I've been making pretty good progress in 2020 using the elliptical every other day.  Been doing this steady since Jan 1 essentially.  Weight has been coming down; getting lot of time in Zone 2 HR.  But today I find out that our clubhouse is closed for Covid leaving me with no elliptical access. sonofa!!  Debating whether to break in or pick one up off Craigslist/Amazon. 

I'm on day 2 of nursing a slight pull/strain in the hammy.  Can just about set my calendar to this injury every 2 weeks. 

I like the part about scorn for sandbagging. I need to see if I can still run 10k before estimating, been shorting runs for weeks now. 

Just to make it interesting....what do y’all think about a $10 or $20 entry fee, winning captain gets to pick the charity to which it’s all donated?
I like it.

5K: 16:59

1 mile: 4:59

10K: 36:59 (if marathon cancelled), 41:59 (if marathon not cancelled and a segment within the race counts), DNF (if marathon not cancelled and a segment within the race doesn't count), DQ (the most likely outcome because I am the equivalent to corona wrt successfully completing a 10K)

Serious question - for these times, do we want to put down where we are now or where we think we will be?  I think part of the fun of the draft is to also make selections based on expected improvement and training.  Putting down our goals seems a bit silly.  I think current levels is a better gauge for this because who the heck knows what training is going to look like for any of us. 

Serious question - for these times, do we want to put down where we are now or where we think we will be?  I think part of the fun of the draft is to also make selections based on expected improvement and training.  Putting down our goals seems a bit silly.  I think current levels is a better gauge for this because who the heck knows what training is going to look like for any of us. 
Maybe supplement goals with recent race times as well as PRs and dates?  That would give the captains more information to make intelligent selections.

Here's my SADV (Self Assessed Draft Value) ;)  

strava recorded best times:

1m: 6:30*

5k: 22:49**

10k: 46:13***

Notes:

* 1 mile was set after a brief warm up and then intentionally seeing how fast I could run a strava segment that is basically 1 mile long and then slowing down to finish out a run

** Ran a 5k with an official time of 21:20 in May of 2019 but it only measured as 3.07 and 21:23 on strava

*** Set as part of the Fort Ben HM on October 2019. Have never actually tried to PR a 10K

My goal is to set new records in strava for each of these. Will see how it goes running them alone rather than in a crowd...

Maybe supplement goals with recent race times as well as PRs and dates?  That would give the captains more information to make intelligent selections.
They can scout out strava some too. These guys need to work a little to put together a winning team, IMO! ;)  

WDW Star Wars Rival Run Weekend cancelled in mid-April. Only surprise to me is that it took this long to cancel it. Full refund coming to me. That might be more surprising now that I think about it. 

Oof.  I haven't been running much so this is my best guess.

1 mile -- 6:20

5K -- 21:20

10K -- 44:59 (this is assuming the Pocono Marathon is cancelled.  If its not, then I'm guessing I run 48:00)

For the record, getting out to run today might be the best thing I've done all week. Was going to yesterday but didn't get there before the storms started and then was kind of a wimp not to go once it was just rain. Getting out and walking with the family just about every day has been awesome but something truly therapeutic about just running for fun with my dog. Ankle started to ache a little during that last mile but more mental than physical, IMO. 

I should have bought new shoes earlier this week.  Illinois is going to have a shelter in place so I don't think I can get new shoes delivered.  Or maybe I can?  Who knows?

It's a tricky process ...something of a balance of where we're at and where we'll be with some training.  Iggy did a nice job above and putting context around his predictions.  

Feel free to include a little bio/recap of how your training has been going, any nagging injuries, time for the 3-cone drill, reps of 225, etc.
Pushups?

I put down those times, but my fitness will be a little decreased in April from this little layoff I'm on now.

Of note, started a steroid pack a couple days ago. Tried it out again today and felt it starting up almost a mile and a half in. Much better, only 1/10 in terms of pain, very mild, so I stopped after 2 and felt nothing residual afterward. It's still there but improving and I'm sure a few more days of rest and finishing the meds and I should be good to start up in a little over a week for training. 

Annoying because it's so mild overall but I know if I don't do this I'm likely to make things much worse. No way to even tell when it's ready since I have no pain or anything the rest of the time. I feel it only when I run.

I should have bought new shoes earlier this week.  Illinois is going to have a shelter in place so I don't think I can get new shoes delivered.  Or maybe I can?  Who knows?
I was planning to get a new pair as well ...ran by the local Fleet Feet yesterday, hoping they'd be open before our village shutdown, but no such luck.  I can order online what I currently have, but was hoping to explore a lower cost alternative. 

I was planning to get a new pair as well ...ran by the local Fleet Feet yesterday, hoping they'd be open before our village shutdown, but no such luck.  I can order online what I currently have, but was hoping to explore a lower cost alternative. 
But will they be able to be delivered? Wouldn't the delivery drivers be shut down?  Maybe they can't police that?

But will they be able to be delivered? Wouldn't the delivery drivers be shut down?  Maybe they can't police that?
I'd imagine delivery drivers would be included in "essential services" and wouldn't be shut down. Pretty much all reports of "shut downs" include keeping essential services open. Actually saw something where laundry service in New York is classified as "essential" and not closing.

Users who are viewing this thread