Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

GM's Thread About Everything/GM's Thread About Nothing


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, El Floppo said:

Sorry about your back. Back pain sucks.

 

Almost as much as our healthcare system, which is fubar.

I have a type of asthma that one very specific medicine has kept at check. Of course my usual crap insurance won't cover it, and they give me another similar medicine that doesn't work. When I've tried to explain this to them, their response is- it's similar medicine, so it works. Uh.... No. As a result, I have to load up at the farmacias when we go for our annual trip to Mexico.

That's our healthcare system in a nutshell. Being forced to pay out of pocket for PT and then being denied the PT once you hit your deductible, and needing to buy medicine in other countries.

Yup.  We have open enrollment now and I'm tempted to find a new insurance company, but they're all going to do the same thing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My wife was up extra early today and made her coffee before me (we use an Aeropress).  Apparently I didn't get the gear cleaned up thoroughly enough because I'm getting traces of butterscotch and vanilla from the frou-frou flavored crap that she drinks. :yucky:

 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, RC94 said:

Yup.  We have open enrollment now and I'm tempted to find a new insurance company, but they're all going to do the same thing.

My insurance company stopped writing insurance here three years ago, and I switched to Molina.   They lowered my rates by $300 a month and their coverage has been outstanding, even covering all of my daughter's inpatient treatment which was unexpected.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, -fish- said:

My insurance company stopped writing insurance here three years ago, and I switched to Molina.   They lowered my rates by $300 a month and their coverage has been outstanding, even covering all of my daughter's inpatient treatment which was unexpected.

I've never heard of them, but I will see if their coverage is offered by my company.  My current insurance is Aetna.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, RC94 said:

I've never heard of them, but I will see if their coverage is offered by my company.  My current insurance is Aetna.

Aetna is usually pretty good here, depending on the plan. I've never heard of Molina either- and we did a lot of digging- which makes me think they may not be available here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, -fish- said:

My insurance company stopped writing insurance here three years ago, and I switched to Molina.   They lowered my rates by $300 a month and their coverage has been outstanding, even covering all of my daughter's inpatient treatment which was unexpected.

Neck tattoos covered with $0 deductible!

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, -fish- said:

My insurance company stopped writing insurance here three years ago, and I switched to Molina.   They lowered my rates by $300 a month and their coverage has been outstanding, even covering all of my daughter's inpatient treatment which was unexpected.

I'm genuinely glad to hear a positive story about Molina. I don't know anybody in healthcare that can tell one. :lmao:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, RC94 said:

I hurt my back and had to do physical therapy, but I had to burn through my deductible before the insurance company would pay for most of it.  Of course shortly after I was done with the deductible, insurance decided I had improved enough and cut it off.  My back still hurts a lot all the time.  Since I had to go through the deductible first, most of it was completely out of pocket for me.  I just paid that bill to the physical therapy company, and it was painful.  I think I need to go to physical therapy again.

brohan i had horrible pain down my left leg lower back for about a year and about two weeks ago i got an injection at l4 l5 and it took two days but its like a miracle cure i have been back to walking 10 or more miles a day sleeping through the night and can get up and out of a chair without it looking like i am doing some crazy bird mating dance from pain i still get some numbness and tingling and a little burning sometimes but no straight up pain anymore so maybe give that a look see take that to the best of luck bank brohan 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Dan Lambskin said:

I forgot who used to always post kids names but my kid has a girl in his class named Curstyn :mellow:

Morning radio the other day was going over the most common names of the year, and between the top 10 of girls and boys there was only like 3 normal names.  They then mentioned that there have been a lot of nature themed names like Bear and Forrest for the boys or flower names for the girls.  One of the hosts then went into a 5 minute rant on why would someone name their kid Forrest. :unsure:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/16/2021 at 9:21 AM, ChiefD said:

Just ate a bag of Funyons. Forget how tasty and awful these are at the same time. Might go grab another bag. 

 

I haven't had them in several years ...love them.

but I do remember tasting them for about 3 days.

and my wife telling me not come near her for that period of time.

I don't another reason for her to stay away from me.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Roverkid got accepted to Pace Honors College in Manhattan with an offer of a $30,000 per year scholarship.   She still needs to wait to hear back from NYU, but that's an awesome fallback.

Edited by -fish-
  • Like 14
  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/22/2021 at 6:57 PM, kevzilla said:

I collected 23 hours of continuing education from 7pm to 3am last night. Totally cool and sensible behavior. Survived my workday, but getting a little thready now. Is this real life?

Procrastination is the ultimate motivator.

Slightly unrelated but my wife is out of town until mid December running live CME conferences  #bachelorlife

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/23/2021 at 1:30 PM, -fish- said:

Roverkid got accepted to Pace Honors College in Manhattan with an offer of a $30,000 per year scholarship.   She still needs to wait to hear back from NYU, but that's an awesome fallback.

Great news! And digits crossed for Tisch.

Fish-hole NYCs a comin

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So, I've started a new job this week.  Tangentially related to my old industry, but I was pretty unhappy at the last place, it was more money and less responsibility (Lookit me!), and highly recommended by a couple of colleagues who worked here already, so I decided to take the plunge.

I totally forgot how crappy onboarding can be. 😐  Haven't done that in a good little while, and haven't done it 100% remote in over a decade.  This entire week has been nothing but ignored IT/HR tickets sandwiched between a fire hose of Zoom calls on new systems, culture, "inclusivity training", etc, etc.  It's Thursday and I haven't even "officially" met my new team yet. 

It's also dawned on me that I can probably stop pretending I'm not old and the blue fauxhawk  isn't fooling anyone any longer. :)   By no means am I "totally surrounded by Millennials or Gen Y-ers" anymore than I was at my last studio (both my direct report and department head are a good bit older than I am)....but maybe it's the mindset?  Many folks at the new place are uber passionate about the product.  Me?  Ehhh....I think it's neat, but I'm not their target demo.   

Also been sort of weird to not be hounded 6 out of 8 hours for "fill in the blank issue" since I'm not leading a team anymore.  Gonna probably take a few weeks to re-calibrate for that.


 

Edited by 5-ish Finkle
  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, 5-ish Finkle said:

So, I've started a new job this week.  Tangentially related to my old industry, but I was pretty unhappy at the last place, it was more money and less responsibility (Lookit me!), and highly recommended by a couple of colleagues who worked here already, so I decided to take the plunge.

I totally forgot how crappy onboarding can be. 😐  Haven't done that in a good little while, and haven't done it 100% remote in over a decade.  This entire week has been nothing but ignored IT/HR tickets sandwiched between a fire hose of Zoom calls on new systems, culture, "inclusivity training", etc, etc.  It's Thursday and I haven't even "officially" met my new team yet. 

It's also dawned on me that I can probably stop pretending I'm not old and the blue fauxhawk  isn't fooling anyone any longer. :)   By no means am I "totally surrounded by Millennials or Gen Y-ers" anymore than I was at my last studio (both my direct report and department head are a good bit older than I am)....but maybe it's the mindset?  Many folks at the new place are uber passionate about the product.  Me?  Ehhh....I think it's neat, but I'm not their target demo.   

Also been sort of weird to not be hounded 6 out of 8 hours for "fill in the blank issue" since I'm not leading a team anymore.  Gonna probably take a few weeks to re-calibrate for that.


 

congrats! I saw one of my friends I previously recommended to you (I can't remember how far that got- if just relayed info from my end, or putting the two of you in contact or something else) looking for graphics help and thought of you. very glad to see theres a new gig and it isn't terrible... so far.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 5-ish Finkle said:

So, I've started a new job this week.  Tangentially related to my old industry, but I was pretty unhappy at the last place, it was more money and less responsibility (Lookit me!), and highly recommended by a couple of colleagues who worked here already, so I decided to take the plunge.

I totally forgot how crappy onboarding can be. 😐  Haven't done that in a good little while, and haven't done it 100% remote in over a decade.  This entire week has been nothing but ignored IT/HR tickets sandwiched between a fire hose of Zoom calls on new systems, culture, "inclusivity training", etc, etc.  It's Thursday and I haven't even "officially" met my new team yet. 

It's also dawned on me that I can probably stop pretending I'm not old and the blue fauxhawk  isn't fooling anyone any longer. :)   By no means am I "totally surrounded by Millennials or Gen Y-ers" anymore than I was at my last studio (both my direct report and department head are a good bit older than I am)....but maybe it's the mindset?  Many folks at the new place are uber passionate about the product.  Me?  Ehhh....I think it's neat, but I'm not their target demo.   

Also been sort of weird to not be hounded 6 out of 8 hours for "fill in the blank issue" since I'm not leading a team anymore.  Gonna probably take a few weeks to re-calibrate for that.


 

Let’s not get a drink to celebrate.   Congrats?

sidebar:  the hr lady straight up threatened us, twice,  at work yesterday. “You don’t ever want me, to have to talk to you”. And “I am always watching the cameras”.   Cool cool cool.  

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DA RAIDERS said:

Let’s not get a drink to celebrate.   Congrats?

sidebar:  the hr lady straight up threatened us, twice,  at work yesterday. “You don’t ever want me, to have to talk to you”. And “I am always watching the cameras”.   Cool cool cool.  

HR is not around for the employees, it's around to protect the business.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, 5-ish Finkle said:

So, I've started a new job this week.  Tangentially related to my old industry, but I was pretty unhappy at the last place, it was more money and less responsibility (Lookit me!), and highly recommended by a couple of colleagues who worked here already, so I decided to take the plunge.

I totally forgot how crappy onboarding can be. 😐  Haven't done that in a good little while, and haven't done it 100% remote in over a decade.  This entire week has been nothing but ignored IT/HR tickets sandwiched between a fire hose of Zoom calls on new systems, culture, "inclusivity training", etc, etc.  It's Thursday and I haven't even "officially" met my new team yet. 

It's also dawned on me that I can probably stop pretending I'm not old and the blue fauxhawk  isn't fooling anyone any longer. :)   By no means am I "totally surrounded by Millennials or Gen Y-ers" anymore than I was at my last studio (both my direct report and department head are a good bit older than I am)....but maybe it's the mindset?  Many folks at the new place are uber passionate about the product.  Me?  Ehhh....I think it's neat, but I'm not their target demo.   

Also been sort of weird to not be hounded 6 out of 8 hours for "fill in the blank issue" since I'm not leading a team anymore.  Gonna probably take a few weeks to re-calibrate for that.


 

Congratulations on the new job!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, DA RAIDERS said:

Let’s not get a drink to celebrate.   Congrats?


One could say we've been doing that for about 4 and a half years.  🍻🍻🍻

I should certainly be looking at this as a positive. The old place was becoming toxic....but "the devil you know", etc. etc, right?   Five years at a studio is "a lifetime" in the game industry, and I made it to nearly 4.5 .  You get used to a LOT in 4.5 years.

Just feels a little weird so far, but it's Day 4.  I'm sure that'll probably fade soon.
 

4 hours ago, El Floppo said:

congrats! I saw one of my friends I previously recommended to you (I can't remember how far that got- if just relayed info from my end, or putting the two of you in contact or something else) looking for graphics help and thought of you. very glad to see theres a new gig and it isn't terrible... so far.

Thanks.  Regarding the old stuff, yeah you relayed my info to them and...that's about as far as it went. :) They never reached out.   Doesn't mean I didn't appreciate you doing it though.
 

1 hour ago, Joe Bryant said:

Congratulations on the new job!


Thanks.  Feels like I'm "aging out" of my industry a little, but this opportunity was to good to ignore.

Edited by 5-ish Finkle
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, DA RAIDERS said:

Let’s not get a drink to celebrate.   Congrats?

sidebar:  the hr lady straight up threatened us, twice,  at work yesterday. “You don’t ever want me, to have to talk to you”. And “I am always watching the cameras”.   Cool cool cool.  

Quit

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, mr. furley said:

don't use "expanded view" to view topics in the FFA.  the topic preview feature could be cool, but it breaks the forearm.

YWIA

 

Thanks. You may have done it already, but if not, filing a ticket with an email to help@footballguys.com is super helpful for us there and we can relay the trouble to Invision that runs the board software and they'll try to address. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

 

Thanks. You may have done it already, but if not, filing a ticket with an email to help@footballguys.com is super helpful for us there and we can relay the trouble to Invision that runs the board software and they'll try to address. 

 

did that and Matt has been replying to my emails, but based on his replies it doesn't seem he's reading what i'm writing.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, McBokonon said:

Yeah, I like pizza, too.


Sorry, Lucas. (Sorry, Lucas reference. That movie with Corey Haim. I just remember they tell him how bummed they are for him and would he like to join them for pizza. "Sad? If you're so sad, why are you getting pizza?") 

Just something that pops into my head all the time for some reason. Very plaintive, his asking that during that scene. 

Edited by rockaction
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, mr. furley said:

 

did that and Matt has been replying to my emails, but based on his replies it doesn't seem he's reading what i'm writing.

 

 

Wait....you're expecting us all to read the stuff you write?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, mr. furley said:

i'd prefer if you didn't. this is a private journal, sir.

Welp, not for nothin', buuuut if this is a "private" journal explain how some internet rando (e.g. me) knows so much about the driving habits of your wife?

 

3 hours ago, El Floppo said:

I also don't read nuthin.

Wait....you can read?

Edited by 5-ish Finkle
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, mr. furley said:

 

did that and Matt has been replying to my emails, but based on his replies it doesn't seem he's reading what i'm writing.

 

 

 

I'm not sure. He posted a thread in the Staff messaging platform we use asking about it and saying a customer had inquired. Not sure if it was you but thought it was. Matt is conscientious and does his best to help customers. He normally does a great job.

He'll take a look but my guess is it is something that will not be able to be resolved so we'll have to live with what we have. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
  • Create New...