What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty and Redraft: David Johnson Saints (4 Viewers)

This sure does have the makings of the out of nowhere fantasy mvp.
I don't think he's going to get the workload to reach that level, even if Ellington is out. As mentioned, I think Taylor will get a fair number of snaps, if only to protect Palmer.
Does Taylor give them a better chance to win over Johnson?

Arians willingness to play rookies is real, but after time to think. I believe it is a bit over blown. This is not week 1, this is week 13 and the kid has shown he is capable, more than capable. We know what Taylor is, and that is not as good as Johnson.

This may be one of those factors that people over think way too much. Johnson is the best RB on the team, with Chris and Andre out. I would say David is better than Andre when they are both healthy.
Keeping Palmer healthy gives them the best chance of winning. I don't think we're overthinking it, especially since were talking about an Arians coached team. Does anyone have access to PFF grades to possibly shed more light on this?

Bayhawks said:
Ilov80s said:
parasaurolophus said:
First I hit the lottery with Rawls and now Johnson. Can't believe Gurley might be my #3 RB down the stretch.
Fantasy is so frustrating. You spend picks in the draft and make trades and work the waiver wire hard for the first 8 weeks to try and build a team with top players and in the end it's for nothing because some teams fall into Rawls, Allen, DJ, etc.
Why "fall into?"I drafted DJ, expecting him to be the guy toward the end of the year/next year. I held onto him despite Chris Johnson's success & Arians' refusal to get him more involved. I also picked up West 3 weeks prior to Charles' injury based on reports about him (and Kniles). Unfortunately, I cut him the week before Charles got hurt. If a smart owner had Rawls as Lynch's handcuff, that's no different.

Obviously, the injury factor can't be predicted, but to say owners who had these guys rostered "fell into" anything isn't totally accurate, IMO.
Just the points you kind of mentioned. Lots of teams in my league have owned Rawls, Deangelo, Allen, DJ, etc. through the year. They get added, someone loses patience/has a bye week/injury and get dropped. Then the process repeats with another owner. It becomes dumb luck who happens to be owning the guy when the injury to the starter happens.
The points I kind of mentioned? I mentioned two guys being held because the owner saw the value in keeping them, not "losing patience/has a bye week/injury." Another owner could have drafted Johnson before I did; he wasn't an early pick. Another owner could have picked up Rawls earlier. They didn't; that isn't luck, that's the owners who did draft/pick them up, and hold them looking past "what have you done for me lately."
I misread it and thought you said you dropped DJ and West. Posting and running on the treadmill is tough.
NP. Obviously there is luck involved; but its not total luck. It would have been luckier if this opportunity had come a few weeks ago, before my trade deadline; then I could have traded him or another RB for a WR, which is where my biggest need is. But I trusted in his talent too much to drop him for the likes of Diggs, M Wilson, Inma, etc.
Yeah, it's not all luck. Ofcourse you have to be aware of who is a smart pickup, etc. However, there is certainly a lot more luck with these back-up RBs late in the year than most any other player in fantasy.

Rotoworld:

David Johnson - RB - Cardinals

Coach Bruce Arians confirmed Tuesday that rookie David Johnson is "the lead guy now" with Chris Johnson (fractured tibia) out at least eight weeks.

CJ2K was placed on I.R.-designated for return on Tuesday, and Andre Ellington is battling a case of turf toe. Appearing on his weekly Tuesday night segment with Sirius XM NFL radio, Arians "sounded optimistic" that Ellington will be able to play Week 13 against the Rams, but that's hard to believe. The Rams' defense has been worn down in recent weeks due to the offense not staying on the field. This isn't a scary matchup for Johnson, who could threaten for 20 touches. The Cardinals signed RB Kerwynn Williams off the practice squad.

Source: Alex Marvez on Twitter

Dec 1 - 8:37 PM

Last edited by a moderator:
How are people feeling about starting Johnson this week against STL?

Was happy to get him off waivers, but I'm not sure how I could put him in ahead of Martin, McFadden, and Lacy.

How are people feeling about starting Johnson this week against STL?

Was happy to get him off waivers, but I'm not sure how I could put him in ahead of Martin, McFadden, and Lacy.
Im starting him over D Murray. I need a week off from the Eagles offense.

Here's a couple thoughts:

1. Arians does not like to play rookies, but he has also said that by Thanksgiving, rookies need to be ready to contribute. He recently gave three game balls to rookies for the Cinci game, and he has consistently talked about how much the young guys are contributing this year. Here's an article mentioning the "rookies and Thanksgiving" timeline, but I've heard him say that in the past too.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/189694/cardinals-rookies-showed-bruce-arians-can-rely-on-them-before-thanksgiving

2. Stephan Taylor is regarded as the best pass protector on the team. But David Johnson is regarded as one of the best receivers. So it will be interesting to see if Taylor comes in on third downs, but my money is on Johnson getting a lot of work on all downs.

Here's a couple thoughts:

1. Arians does not like to play rookies, but he has also said that by Thanksgiving, rookies need to be ready to contribute. He recently gave three game balls to rookies for the Cinci game, and he has consistently talked about how much the young guys are contributing this year. Here's an article mentioning the "rookies and Thanksgiving" timeline, but I've heard him say that in the past too.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/189694/cardinals-rookies-showed-bruce-arians-can-rely-on-them-before-thanksgiving

2. Stephan Taylor is regarded as the best pass protector on the team. But David Johnson is regarded as one of the best receivers. So it will be interesting to see if Taylor comes in on third downs, but my money is on Johnson getting a lot of work on all downs.
It's been odd how Arians has used him. Doesn't trust him with a full load but yet has been the short yardage/goal line guy (requires to not fumble) and also in on some obvious 3rd down passing situations (requires pass protection).

Considering starting D Johnson over Ingram. Both have tougher than normal matchups, but NO is going in a downward spiral and Ingram may not be a factor if they fall too far behind.

I'm not concerned about the rookie thing anymore. It's D Johnson time and let's see what he can do. When Ellington is fully healed is another story for another time.

I was lucky enough to get him off waivers this week (very happy because I held him for over a month early in the season but was forced to drop).

Love this kid so much I'm considering starting him over the likes of Gurley, DWilliams, CJA, and JStew.

He is going to GO OFF the remainder of this FF season. He's the rare RB who still has value no matter how the game goes -- he'll close out a game on the ground and he'll still be in when ARZ is forced to pass.

Love this kid so much I'm considering starting him over the likes of Gurley, DWilliams, CJA, and JStew.
Wow - I would lower the euphoria a bit here. I could certainly see DJ over CJA, but none of the other three.

Wow - I would lower the euphoria a bit here. I could certainly see DJ over CJA, but none of the other three.
Yeah, FWIW, pump the brakes just a little. I also have DWill, JStew and DJ, and will be starting all 3 this week. But if I had to choose 2 of the 3, DJ would be the odd man out this week.

Been rostering Ellington for 8 weeks now. He finally gets his chance and can't even make it a game before getting hurt. Johnson should be a rb1 with 20 touches

I've got him in over JStew in PPR. My only fear is if he fumbles and gets benched otherwise...confidence.
Johnson certainly is an intriquing play this week and going forward. The only reservation is if he fumbles, then Arian may pull the Belichek move to make a point? I can see some time share in the backfield, and hopefully Taylor doesn't get the vulture because it's his series.

I'm leaning on starting him this week. Obviously some big money on the line!

I am starting DJ, Ingram and Ivory over DeMarco Murray, Duke, Tevin and Yeldon though over Duke and Tevin is obvious and not saying much.

I consider DJ my RB1 this week. I would not start him over Gurley though or maybe D Will either.

First I hit the lottery with Rawls and now Johnson. Can't believe Gurley might be my #3 RB down the stretch.
Fantasy is so frustrating. You spend picks in the draft and make trades and work the waiver wire hard for the first 8 weeks to try and build a team with top players and in the end it's for nothing because some teams fall into Rawls, Allen, DJ, etc.
Why "fall into?"I drafted DJ, expecting him to be the guy toward the end of the year/next year. I held onto him despite Chris Johnson's success & Arians' refusal to get him more involved. I also picked up West 3 weeks prior to Charles' injury based on reports about him (and Kniles). Unfortunately, I cut him the week before Charles got hurt. If a smart owner had Rawls as Lynch's handcuff, that's no different.

Obviously, the injury factor can't be predicted, but to say owners who had these guys rostered "fell into" anything isn't totally accurate, IMO.
Just the points you kind of mentioned. Lots of teams in my league have owned Rawls, Deangelo, Allen, DJ, etc. through the year. They get added, someone loses patience/has a bye week/injury and get dropped. Then the process repeats with another owner. It becomes dumb luck who happens to be owning the guy when the injury to the starter happens.
The points I kind of mentioned? I mentioned two guys being held because the owner saw the value in keeping them, not "losing patience/has a bye week/injury." Another owner could have drafted Johnson before I did; he wasn't an early pick. Another owner could have picked up Rawls earlier. They didn't; that isn't luck, that's the owners who did draft/pick them up, and hold them looking past "what have you done for me lately."
I misread it and thought you said you dropped DJ and West. Posting and running on the treadmill is tough.
NP. Obviously there is luck involved; but its not total luck. It would have been luckier if this opportunity had come a few weeks ago, before my trade deadline; then I could have traded him or another RB for a WR, which is where my biggest need is. But I trusted in his talent too much to drop him for the likes of Diggs, M Wilson, Inma, etc.
Yeah, it's not all luck. Ofcourse you have to be aware of who is a smart pickup, etc. However, there is certainly a lot more luck with these back-up RBs late in the year than most any other player in fantasy.
It's not luck at all. Roster management is a skill and knowing which backups are most valuable is not luck.

Starting him in two leagues this week (by far my best option in one and over Yeldon in the other), but they're both PPR leagues where I'm not really playing for anything this league (thankfully locked up the #1 seed in both leagues). Nobody has a clue how many touches he'll get, but even if it's just 10-12 carries and 3-4 catches I think he could put up good numbers, especially in a PPR.

Fitz, Brown and Floyd have all been gimping around practice this week. I can see a scenario where Arians has a fresh young horse and will try to pound it to start, if he succeeds early he will just keep hammering to spare the other players. If he gets bottled up early then he will have to balance it out.

It is better then him coming out and saying it will be a timeshare. I think everyone knew as soon as CJ and Ellington went down it was DJ's show.

Does everyone think he's the lead back next year if he show anything competent these next few weeks?
Was perusing youtube for David Johnson highlights and ran into this nugget. Bruce Arians and GM Steve Keim gushing over him, comparing him to Forte, and Arians calling him a true 3-down back. This was back in May, but you really get the feeling that they drafted this guy with full intentions of him being the feature back at some point. The time has come men/women.... I cannot wait to watch the game Sunday.

https://youtu.be/yrgI459DRLM

Another item of note is how Arians mentions Kerwynn Williams last year coming through for them in the playoffs. Could Kerwynn be the true "handcuff" to Johnson and not Stepfon Taylor? I think so....

I think they drafted him with that in mind. He has all the tools to be a 3 down back. We still have to see a full game of no fumbles, pass pro and between the tackle running to crown him the full time starter. CJ will be 31 next year and a full year just wore him down. Ellingtion just can't stay healthy.

Yeah, FWIW, pump the brakes just a little. I also have DWill, JStew and DJ, and will be starting all 3 this week. But if I had to choose 2 of the 3, DJ would be the odd man out this week.
I never meant I was starting him over all three, just that I was thinking of starting him over one of them and I'm not sure which. Gurley has really struggled recently and JStew has been hard to trust all season. Honestly, DWill is my RB1 this week and I think DJ is my RB2. It's between Gurley and JStew as my FLX. The shark play, IMO, is to bench Gurley this week but not sure I have the balls to do that.

Its a shame he is finally getting a start against the rams who are tough to run on. Wish he was playing the chargers ;(

Its a shame he is finally getting a start against the rams who are tough to run on. Wish he was playing the chargers ;(
Rams have given up 133.5 rushing yards per game over their last 4, not quite the menace we thought at the beginning of the year.

Rams have given up 133.5 rushing yards per game over their last 4, not quite the menace we thought at the beginning of the year.
This.

The Rams have a stout secondary and pass rush, but their run D has been pedestrian.

Every Monday here they have GM Steve Keim on the local radio. A couple of weeks ago they were talking to him about resigning Chris Johnson and he said resigning Johnson was his top priority since they don't know what they have in D.Johnson and Ellington is having trouble staying on the field. When the GM thinks you are a injury problem you aren't going to be the feature back.

Dynasty owners need to take a real good look the rest if the way.

I own him, and really want to see if he's got real talent.

There's a buzz around him, I could see a scenario where, in a dynasty format, I might be looking to sell. If he does well, after the season his value would be really high. But if he's an average talent, he's replaceable. Like Ellington. Might be a guy to move before free agency and the draft.

I think the two biggest things to look for are no fumbles and even more important, he doesn't let Palmer get beat up. If he can succeed in those two, the stats should be there.

I think the two biggest things to look for are no fumbles and even more important, he doesn't let Palmer get beat up. If he can succeed in those two, the stats should be there.
This is my biggest concern.. One blown assignment that leads to a huge hit could lead to a benching. He won't have a long leash in that department.

This is my biggest concern.. One blown assignment that leads to a huge hit could lead to a benching. He won't have a long leash in that department.
Is the 4th string RB a better pass blocker?

Users who are viewing this thread