What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

PGA Tour Thread: 2019 Season Ends (2 Viewers)

His wife is the absolute perfect mix of hot and sluttyness. Perfect 10 for me.

Pro golfer has to be the greatest job that exists. Can't really think of a better one out there.
Host of Survivor.  You get paid 200k / episode and work 2-3 months / year.

They do themselves no favors by constantly complaining about the cold.  No wonder they have a reputation for being so soft.

Host of Survivor.  You get paid 200k / episode and work 2-3 months / year.
That's up there in terms of ease of work, cool location, bit of celebrity, fantastic pay.

If we are talking top pro golfer though you get to add that you can dominate at a sport at the highest level. People dream of that. 

And groupies.

That's up there in terms of ease of work, cool location, bit of celebrity, fantastic pay.

If we are talking top pro golfer though you get to add that you can dominate at a sport at the highest level. People dream of that. 

And groupies.
You changed the job--you went from pro golfer to top pro golfer.  

To be fair, I assumed you meant someone on the PGA tour and not your run of the mill club pro. That being said, many marginal players on the tour don't have it so great.  It is pretty sweet for anyone in the top ten for sure.

To be fair, I assumed you meant someone on the PGA tour and not your run of the mill club pro. That being said, many marginal players on the tour don't have it so great.  It is pretty sweet for anyone in the top ten for sure.
Survivor host is like being top of your field of talking head tv guy. For every Jeff Probst there's a 100 dudes pitching food dehydrators on the shopping channel.

Anyways Oosthuizen needs to stop wrecking my foursome. 

I have a feeling Johnson will play and look like himself but the narrative will be the guy is a Willis Reed-like hero. Kind of like when Day had vertigo but way more annoying.

Sorry if this has been asked a hundred times but is this really not televised until 3pm on ESPN?  There's no way to watch any of it on my TV at work until 3pm ET?

Sorry if this has been asked a hundred times but is this really not televised until 3pm on ESPN?  There's no way to watch any of it on my TV at work until 3pm ET?
Is the TV web enabled? You can watch feature groups via the Masters website.

on a side note, I'm quite nervous about Dave holding onto a prize pool of over $1000...that money is going to call him to Reno this weekend.

Is the TV web enabled? You can watch feature groups via the Masters website.

on a side note, I'm quite nervous about Dave holding onto a prize pool of over $1000...that money is going to call him to Reno this weekend.
Ha!  He's been rock solid in the past, but yeah, he's a bump or two away from puking it up at the poker tables in any given year.

110 guys made a million or more last year.

110 guys made a million or more last year.
That's more than I would have guessed but even at $1mm, you're not lighting the world on fire after expenses--caddy, travel etc.

BTW, Billy Ray Brown is murdering the English language.  Terrible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsorship deals are where they make the bulk of their money.  Even marginal PGA players bank on lucrative endorsement deals.  
This isn't really true, depending on how you define "marginal". Its a serious grind for many players. I've personally known a few who have played the tour (both played 10-15 years on the tour) and both managed to keep their card most years. Its a grind. You have to get backers to pay your travel expenses and then they get a cut of your winnings. Sure everyone can get a titliest deal if you play their ball but its not much at all. 

Things may have changed over last 5-10 years, and there is no doubt if you are one of the top players (maybe top 50-100?) you have it made.

This isn't really true, depending on how you define "marginal". Its a serious grind for many players. I've personally known a few who have played the tour (both played 10-15 years on the tour) and both managed to keep their card most years. Its a grind. You have to get backers to pay your travel expenses and then they get a cut of your winnings. Sure everyone can get a titliest deal if you play their ball but its not much at all. 

Things may have changed over last 5-10 years, and there is no doubt if you are one of the top players (maybe top 50-100?) you have it made.

Agreed.  Rod Pampling played in 18 events last year and made $142k.  That's a serious grind.

Agreed.  Rod Pampling played in 18 events last year and made $142k.  That's a serious grind.
no kidding.  it's not like golf at the highest level is hard enough.  guys like this have to worry about paying bills.  that would be big time stress.

Would you call Ben Crane a marginal PGA player?  I would.  He asked my former boss to manage his money after inking a very lucrative sponsorship deal.  That's the only golfer I know, so you might be more in the know, but he made the bulk of his money on the back of sponsorship.  

Would you call Ben Crane a marginal PGA player?  I would.  He asked my former boss to manage his money after inking a very lucrative sponsorship deal.  That's the only golfer I know, so you might be more in the know, but he made the bulk of his money on the back of sponsorship.  
5 career wins and over 20 million prize money.

Not marginal IMO.  One of the best putters in PGA history. 

Fred Couples wanted me to manage some $ for him 18 years ago and either he didn't have enough or didn't want to meet the minimums.

Not marginal IMO.  One of the best putters in PGA history. 

Fred Couples wanted me to manage some $ for him 18 years ago and either he didn't have enough or didn't want to meet the minimums.
His net worth is $105MM.  What on earth are your minimums? 

His net worth is $105MM.  What on earth are your minimums? 
This was close to 20 years ago so he wasn't worth that then.  I think I said I wanted a minimum of $10mm to start.  I was at Goldman and this was the height of the dot com boom--several times per month, we had IPOs that were doubling or better and he wanted some of that action.  I would have come down a little if he had agreed to do an annual client golf outing but we never got that far.

I looked up both the guys I knew on Tour, both just over $6 mill career earnings. Both stopped playing the tour about 5-6 years ago. One plays the Senior Tour now. 

By no means were these guys well off from the tour (though they did come from familes with money). I don't know how much of that career earnings went to their backers. I just know the grind was excruciating for them, and I remember a few meltdowns by the one who never got a PGA tour win (the other guy won 1). He nearly gave up a few times due to injury and stress. 

Last edited by a moderator:
This was close to 20 years ago so he wasn't worth that then.  I think I said I wanted a minimum of $10mm to start.  I was at Goldman and this was the height of the dot com boom--several times per month, we had IPOs that were doubling or better and he wanted some of that action.  I would have come down a little if he had agreed to do an annual client golf outing but we never got that far.
I remember when Priceline had a higher market cap than all the big airlines and the newsletter writers and market pundits went nuts over it.  Now Tesla has a higher valuation than all the other automakers and newsletter writers and market pundits are going nuts.  Same as it ever was.

Users who are viewing this thread