What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Rap/Hip Hop Discussion Thread*** (2 Viewers)

Cross-posting with the 2021 music thread, but it belongs here, really, because I can see the J. Cole love.

He's got a new album and Billboard Top 100 #2 single called "my.life." ft. 21 Savage and Morray

No caps, of course.

Unfortunately, the song really isn't that good and borrows liberally from Styles P and Pharaohe Monche's "The Life," using the exact same chorus Pharoahe sings (and presumably penned) without crediting them in the "featuring" section of the track. These days, I guess good money begets good money, and they've paid off the appropriate people not to take credit, lest the original from 2002 or so become a smash all over again. These are both on Spotify.

my.life.

The Life

I was just reading up on Youngblood NBA...

Guy is about to have his 8th child and he's 21.

Yikes.

I can't really give an opinion on his music yet (gotta listen to some more) but I'm surprised he's done so well the past few years and his name isn't exactly a household name.

Update:

Not a fan. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus Christ Nas and Lauryn Hill on Nobody is amazing. My stuck in the 90s self is so happy.

Nas meeting Hitboy was an incredible situation. 

Fyi... NYC "homecoming" hooray COVID is done (?) free concert series is a who's who...

Orchard Beach in The Bronx on Monday, August 16 from 3:00 to 9:30 p.m.

KRS One (Headliner)

Slick Rick (Headliner)

Remy Ma (Headliner)

Busy Bee

CL Smooth

DJ Hollywood

DJ Jazzy Joyce

DJ Kevie Kev

Fantastic Five

Furious 5 featuring Grandmaster Melle Mel and Scorpio

Grand Wizard Theodore

Joeski Love

Kid Capri

Nice & Smooth

PopMaster Fabel

Soul Sonic Force

T La Rock

Ultra Magnetic MC’s

Richmond County Bank Park on Staten Island on Tuesday, August 17 from 4:00 to 9:30 p.m.

Raekwon (Headliner)

Ghostface Killah (Headliner)

Crystal Waters

DJ Chuck Chillout

EMPD

Force MDs

Hakim Green

HeeSun Lee

Kool Keith

Lizzy Ashliegh

Pharoahe Monch

Rikki

Rob Base

Brooklyn Army Terminal in Brooklyn on Thursday, August 19 from 4:00 to 9:30 p.m.

Big Daddy Kane (Headliner)

Desiigner (Headliner)

C&C Music Factory

DJ Mr. Cee

Elle Varner

Judy Torres

Lizzy Ashliegh

Maino

Obasi Jackson

Papoose

PopMaster Fabel

Special Ed

Stetsasonic

Sweet Sensation

Young Devyn

Forest Hills Stadium in Queens on Friday, August 20 from 4:00 to 9:30 p.m.

George Clinton + The P-Funk All Stars with Special Guests (Headliner)

Too $hort (Headliner)

DJ Hurricane

DJ Wiz

EPMD

Mobb Deep

Yo-Yo

Isaiah Rashad cut a new album recently. "Lay Wit Ya" is a great track, the album is downbeat but excellent. He's from Chattanooga, signed to Top Dawg Entertainment, much like Kendrick is. But he's got a totally different style. Don't go in expecting Kendrick.

Whole Nas album is a triumph. Moments is beautiful. Just so great. 
Thanks for the recommendation.  Love Nas.  There are a few moments I remember in my life when it comes to music.  Listening to One Love for the first time was one of those.

Is it 100% freestyle?
Verzuz?  no.  You  havent seen one?  There have been some amazing ones. 

Basically, its supposed to be two artists or groups going back and forth to give each other their flowers.  But usually it gets competitive and the public determines a winner.  They have been really good.  Like the Lox and Dipset one was great.  Ja Rule absolutely destroyed Fat Joe.  The KRS and Big Daddy Kane one was amazing.  I really enjoyed the one last night too but that may not be for everyone.  Oh and the Snoop DMX one was great also.  There have been alot of good ones tbh. 

All in all its worth a watch most of them are on Youtube.  But yes some do incorporate freestyle some dont. 

anybody watch the Wu show on Hulu? First 14 episodes were meh and I wouldn’t have stuck with it if not interested in the topic but the last 6 of season 2 are amazing. If you’re a fan of the group you should at least watch season 2. You can pretty much catch on without watching season 1. 

anybody watch the Wu show on Hulu? First 14 episodes were meh and I wouldn’t have stuck with it if not interested in the topic but the last 6 of season 2 are amazing. If you’re a fan of the group you should at least watch season 2. You can pretty much catch on without watching season 1. 
yea it starts slow but it does get good for sure.  And season 2 is much better. 

Loved the read. Ghostface, IMO, was King Of New York in 2006, at least. Fishscale is a great album, "Shakey Dog" a storytelling classic nonpareil. He does get a mention in the article, but it doesn't seem like enough. 
Ghostface by far has the best catalog out of all of the Wu members.  The Pretty Toney Album is very underrated for me.

Well based on this list my hip hop days span from 80 to 03 then freeze.  While I know of Kanye and Wayne etc I never followed their music.  Was just listening to some LL on the way home from work tonight.  

Great list though.  Brought back tons of memories and good times.  

dkp993 said:
Well based on this list my hip hop days span from 80 to 03 then freeze.  While I know of Kanye and Wayne etc I never followed their music.  Was just listening to some LL on the way home from work tonight.  

Same. I think that describes A Lot of rap fans. 

Except I do love some Pusha T though. He’s by far my favorite (living rapper). Everything he touches is 🔥 

Same. I think that describes A Lot of rap fans. 

Except I do love some Pusha T though. He’s by far my favorite (living rapper). Everything he touches is 🔥 
I have Lord Willin' on vinyl. That album was so far ahead of 2002 in terms of production and lyricism that I thought Clipse was destined for greatness. They're well-known and they were indeed great, but label problems sidelined them for years while others jumped the line to be next in the quest. They missed striking the iron while hot, and are relegated to history. Of course Malice (now No Malice) had fundamentally changed his life and found God and positivity, so I don't know how much that had to do with the delay from album one to Hell Hath No Fury, but the absence dropped them in the pop world. Pusha T's solo stuff is great, but a little one-dimensional, IMO. It's all coke rap. It's still great, and DAYTONA is a great album, but I like more from my emcees. It's a quibble, really, and he's fire. 

Capella said:
Enjoyed both, but yeah S2 is exceptional. The casting has been perfect and those guys are nailing their roles imo

Huh.  This stuff has passed me by then.
I don't make the rules, just report. He did take a lot of criticism for his crossover appeal and accusations that he had ghostwriters writing for him. He hasn't always sat well among the harder heads. 

I know Drake, from NBA games.  Not sure I’ve ever heard a song of his.  
"Started From The Bottom"? 

I'd start there. That was the hit I remember the best from him. "Hotline Bling" was another smash of his. I'll admit to not following Drake too closely. Hip hop and I generally parted ways around 2012 or so, but I still love some stuff and keep a bit abreast of newer things. 

"Started From The Bottom"? 

I'd start there. That was the hit I remember the best from him. "Hotline Bling" was another smash of his. I'll admit to not following Drake too closely. Hip hop and I generally parted ways around 2012 or so, but I still love some stuff and keep a bit abreast of newer things. 
If I heard it I probably recognize it.  But my new music exposure basically stopped completely when I started seriously on my career and working 60/70+ hrs a week in 2001-2 outside of a few artist.  

If I heard it I probably recognize it.  But my new music exposure basically stopped completely when I started seriously on my career and working 60/70+ hrs a week in 2001-2 outside of a few artist.  
That'll happen. 

dkp993 said:

Man you should dig into some of those albums.  Ye has some very good music as does Wayne.  Ye fell off a bit lately though(probably when rhymefest stopped ghostwriting and when he lost his mind). 

These days you have to go looking for good music since whats generally on the radio isnt great.  But there have been plenty of great artists even new ones.  After 2003, just a few amazing albums off the top of the head:

Little Brother - The minstrel show

Madvillainy

Immortal technique - revolutionary vol 2

Masta Ace -  a long hot summer

Elzhi - Euro pass/preface

Childish Gambino - Because the internet, Royalty(mixtape)

Basically all Big Krit albums but especially Return of 4va, A King remembered in time, Cadillactica

J.I.D - Dicaprio 2

Lupe - Tetsuo and youth

Joey Badass - All American Bada$$

Royce da 59 - Book of Ryan

Bad meets evil  - hell the sequel

Chance the rapper - Acid rap

Anything by Kendrick Lamar

All the Prhyme albums

Rapsody - she got game, lailias wisdom

Freddie Gibbs - pinata, bandana, alfredo

There are plenty of great albums by some of the vets as well. Also SIrius XM has two pretty good old school stations.

I guarantee you would recognize a number of drake songs. 

Fyi... NYC "homecoming" hooray COVID is done (?) free concert series is a who's who...

Orchard Beach in The Bronx on Monday, August 16 from 3:00 to 9:30 p.m.

KRS One (Headliner)

Slick Rick (Headliner)

Busy Bee

CL Smooth

Fantastic Five

Furious 5 featuring Grandmaster Melle Mel and Scorpio

Grand Wizard Theodore

Joeski Love

Kid Capri

Nice & Smooth

Soul Sonic Force

T La Rock

Ultra Magnetic MC’s

Richmond County Bank Park on Staten Island on Tuesday, August 17 from 4:00 to 9:30 p.m.

Raekwon (Headliner)

Ghostface Killah (Headliner)

Crystal Waters

DJ Chuck Chillout

EMPD

Force MDs

Rob Base

Brooklyn Army Terminal in Brooklyn on Thursday, August 19 from 4:00 to 9:30 p.m.

Big Daddy Kane (Headliner)

C&C Music Factory

Judy Torres

Stetsasonic

Sweet Sensation

Forest Hills Stadium in Queens on Friday, August 20 from 4:00 to 9:30 p.m.

George Clinton + The P-Funk All Stars with Special Guests (Headliner)

Too $hort (Headliner)

EPMD

Mobb Deep
I've worked with all of these artists

Pusha T's solo stuff is great, but a little one-dimensional, IMO. It's all coke rap. It's still great, and DAYTONA is a great album, but I like more from my emcees. It's a quibble, really, and he's fire. 
As a retired pusher it’s why I love him so much and can relate. Might be one-dimensional but his lines are far more intricate than pretty much anyone else out there. Almost every line has several subtle layers and innuendo. He’s pretty much the last of the coke rappers.

I sometimes feel as though I am the Pusha T of this board:

“It's a nightmare, yeah
I'm too rare amongst all of this pink hair, ooh!”

As a retired pusher it’s why I love him so much and can relate. Might be one-dimensional but his lines are far more intricate than pretty much anyone else out there. Almost every line has several subtle layers and innuendo. He’s pretty much the last of the coke rappers.

I sometimes feel as though I am the Pusha T of this board:

“It's a nightmare, yeah
I'm too rare amongst all of this pink hair, ooh!”
If me and steady can agree on one thing it’s this.  His bars are underrated and there is depth to them for sure.  

Capella said:
I didnt realize season 2 even came out. I thought season 1 was ok, a little boring but great acting throughout. The kid who plays Rza is great.

I just think that style rap/singing kind of spread throughout the country. Not really blaming Drake per se but everyone tried to be Drake for awhile. Then mumble rappers piled dirt on the grave of rap.

I don't think you can blame Drake.. blame whoever decided to make radio stations play the exact same crap (drake, et al) for years on end.

Users who are viewing this thread