What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Commanders Thread (14 Viewers)

@Joe Bryant could you please bring it to the attention of whoever's attention it needs to be brought to, that the News Blogger needs to be adjusted so that the link to the 'WAS' tab connects both former 'Redskins' news to current 'Football Team' news? When you click the tab in the News Blogger, the most current article is from 07/23/20, the last one posted there before the website changed 'Redskins' to 'Football Team' all subsequent news regarding 'Football Team' is not accessable through the 'WAS' link in the News Blogger, at least to the best of my knowledge. It's entirely possible I'm doing  something wrong...but in case I'm not, thanks for your time and attention.

@Joe Bryant could you please bring it to the attention of whoever's attention it needs to be brought to, that the News Blogger needs to be adjusted so that the link to the 'WAS' tab connects both former 'Redskins' news to current 'Football Team' news? When you click the tab in the News Blogger, the most current article is from 07/23/20, the last one posted there before the website changed 'Redskins' to 'Football Team' all subsequent news regarding 'Football Team' is not accessable through the 'WAS' link in the News Blogger, at least to the best of my knowledge. It's entirely possible I'm doing  something wrong...but in case I'm not, thanks for your time and attention.
Thanks. Let us see what's up there. I'm sure it had something to do with how it's in the database once the name officially changed. Thanks for the headsup. 

I'm sure most of you have seen this, but it's not posted here yet.  Ron Rivera has cancer.  Told team yesterday.  Says it's treatable since in early stages.  Prayers.

https://www.nfl.com/news/washington-hc-ron-rivera-diagnosed-with-lymph-node-cancer
yea sad.  prayers up.  He doesnt need the stress of our team.  I hope he does whats best for him and gets better.  Sounds like a treatable type of cancer however which is good so the odds are in his favor. 

God bless him and his family as they navigate their way through this.

If it wasn't so sad...well, you know. Man, this Team can't catch a break.

If they have caught in early he should be okay. yes prayers for a good man that this franchise desperately needs right now. 

This seems to be more damaging and have more detail than the previous article. What an awful place to work. A lot of people in the local media and some former players have hinted at how bad it is to work there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Among the details I read were:

1. Team made secret videos of cheerleaders (partially nude) and burned special DVDs for Snyder's viewing.  It is implied that this was done without cheerleader approval.

2.  Daniel Snyder literally try to pimp out cheerleaders by suggesting they go up to a hotel room to "entertain" one of Snyder's friends.  Allegedly he is the one who asked, personally.

This goes beyond calling someone "honey" in the workplace.  It's well beyond the "grey area" that many people site as being "too PC."  If this information can be corroborated, he really does need to be forced to sell the team, IMO.

If they have caught in early he should be okay. yes prayers for a good man that this franchise desperately needs right now. 
Thoughts and prayers to Coach Rivera and his family.  Hopefully they got this early enough that he'll be ok in the long run.  

In the short run, gotta rally around Coach...

https://sports.yahoo.com/dwayne-haskins-above-giants-daniel-225921329.html?src=rss

"Particularly in the second half, after the bye week, [Haskins] got his feet underneath him," Chahrouri said. "He was actually the 10th highest-rated quarterback from Week 11 onward. He really found his footing with Terry McLaurin, too. He had a 117 passer rating when throwing the ball at [McLaurin]."

i was just looking at his game logs and he finished the season really strong for a rookie.

from a dynasty perspective, this guy is dirt cheap and has some solid upside.

Don't worry, guys. Dan Snyder to the rescue (from his statement today):

I have admittedly been too hands-off as an owner and allowed other to have day-to-day control to the detriment of our organization. Going forward I am going to be more involved...

i was just looking at his game logs and he finished the season really strong for a rookie
I didn't really remember him finishing strong, so I went back to check.  He missed week 17 due to injury (ankle), but he did have a good week 15 vs PHI.  He was doing very good vs NYG in week 16, but got sacked at the start of the 3rd quarter and never returned.  He was not impressive in his first 7 appearances, racking up 3 TD's, 7 INT's, and 26 sacks.  I guess I wouldn't categorize a game and a half as finishing a season really strong, especially since he finished the season on the bench.

I didn't really remember him finishing strong, so I went back to check.  He missed week 17 due to injury (ankle), but he did have a good week 15 vs PHI.  He was doing very good vs NYG in week 16, but got sacked at the start of the 3rd quarter and never returned.  He was not impressive in his first 7 appearances, racking up 3 TD's, 7 INT's, and 26 sacks.  I guess I wouldn't categorize a game and a half as finishing a season really strong, especially since he finished the season on the bench.
He's talking about McLaurin.

So what did Richardson with the Panthers do that allowed the NFL to force him to sell the team? Surely, the allegations against Snyder are worse than what Richardson did, yes?

I am an Eagles fan so keeping Snyder as owner benefits my team, but as a whole, you guys are such good, knowledgeable fans, I do hope, for your sake, that the NFL can force Snyder out.

So what did Richardson with the Panthers do that allowed the NFL to force him to sell the team? Surely, the allegations against Snyder are worse than what Richardson did, yes?

I am an Eagles fan so keeping Snyder as owner benefits my team, but as a whole, you guys are such good, knowledgeable fans, I do hope, for your sake, that the NFL can force Snyder out.
From wikipedia:

On December 17, 2017, Sports Illustrated reported that "at least four former Panthers employees have received ‘significant’ monetary settlements due to inappropriate workplace comments and conduct by owner Jerry Richardson, including sexually suggestive language and behavior, and on at least one occasion directing a racial slur at an African-American Panthers scout." According to the anonymous sources which were the basis for the article, Richardson asked women in the team offices to "turn around so he could admire their backsides" on Casual Friday, among other "disturbing" office behavior.[15]

On the same day, it was announced that Richardson intended to sell the Panthers franchise at the conclusion of the 2017 season. 

Don't worry, guys. Dan Snyder to the rescue (from his statement today):
I think this is the same defense Ellen is using in Hollywood about her staff complaints. 

This team is a disaster. Not trolling - just commenting. 

...sending best wishes to coach. 

over his last three games, he was 47 for 70 (67.1%) for 564 yards and 5 TDs to 1 INT. he threw for 8.0 ypa and had a 109.5 rating.

it's not other worldly but it is really good and shows that he was at least improving on the job.

i'm not saying he's a sure thing. there's a reason he's valued so low and i dont think anyone should be starting him unless it's a tank year. but... considering that dollar store price, i'll take a swing that he might take a step forward and could end up being serviceable. (felt the same about josh allen last year and that worked out.)

over his last three games, he was 47 for 70 (67.1%) for 564 yards and 5 TDs to 1 INT. he threw for 8.0 ypa and had a 109.5 rating.

it's not other worldly but it is really good and shows that he was at least improving on the job.

i'm not saying he's a sure thing. there's a reason he's valued so low and i dont think anyone should be starting him unless it's a tank year. but... considering that dollar store price, i'll take a swing that he might take a step forward and could end up being serviceable. (felt the same about josh allen last year and that worked out.)
Redskins QB's weekly fantasy finishes:
Week 1 - QB6 (Keenum)
Week 2 - QB16 (Keenum)
Week 3 - QB15 (Keenum)
Week 4 - QB31 (Haskins) & QB33 (Keenum)
Week 5 - QB28 (McCoy)
Week 6 - QB18 (Keenum)
Week 7 - QB31 (Keenum)
Week 8 - QB30 (Keenum) & QB32 (Haskins)
Week 9 - QB27 (Haskins)
Week 10 - BYE
Week 11 - QB15 (Haskins)
Week 12 - QB25 (Haskins) & QB37 (Keenum)
Week 13 - QB33 (Haskins)
Week 14 - QB32 (Haskins)
Week 15 - QB8 (Haskins)
Week 16 - QB14 (Keenum) & QB20 (Haskins)
Week 17 - QB25 (Keenum)

If Haskins ran more like Josh Allen, I could see him having some fantasy relevance.  Until then, he's nothing more than a bottom of the barrel fantasy QB.

If Haskins ran more like Josh Allen, I could see him having some fantasy relevance.  Until then, he's nothing more than a bottom of the barrel fantasy QB.
He has a good coach now. And he did look good late last year. I think he's going to be much better than bottom of the barrel. 

Week 1 - QB6 (Keenum)
Week 2 - QB16 (Keenum)
Week 3 - QB15 (Keenum)
Week 5 - QB28 (McCoy)
Week 6 - QB18 (Keenum)
Week 7 - QB31 (Keenum)
Week 9 - QB27 (Haskins)
Week 10 - BYE
Week 11 - QB15 (Haskins)
Week 13 - QB33 (Haskins)
Week 14 - QB32 (Haskins)
Week 15 - QB8 (Haskins)
Week 17 - QB25 (Keenum)

i probably shouldn't have put josh allen's name in here since he was a QB2 flashing QB1 upside at the end of 2018. but my point was simply that haskins showed more than the FF community is giving him credit for.

he was a rookie who played better in the second half of the season. i like that. and from an efficiency standpoint, his last three games were pretty darn good. i dont know if all the counting stats will be there for him--i'm not advocating he's QB12 or anything--but i am 100% certain that his dynasty price tag does not reflect the promise he showed down the stretch.

QB30 seems pretty low to me and there's definitely 4 or 5 guys in the QB20s i'd pass on to take haskins.

Week 1 - QB6 (Keenum)
Week 2 - QB16 (Keenum)
Week 3 - QB15 (Keenum)
Week 5 - QB28 (McCoy)
Week 6 - QB18 (Keenum)
Week 7 - QB31 (Keenum)
Week 9 - QB27 (Haskins)
Week 10 - BYE
Week 11 - QB15 (Haskins)
Week 13 - QB33 (Haskins)
Week 14 - QB32 (Haskins)
Week 15 - QB8 (Haskins)
Week 17 - QB25 (Keenum)

Not talking about statistics but just talking as a Redskins fan who (sadly) suffered through every game last year.  Several points you have to note:

1. Gruden never supported Haskins, didn't give him reps, and threw him to the wolves early in the year.  Add to all this his lack of experience in college and it's not fair to use them as an indication of long term fantasy success.

2.  Gruden's team generally last year was a train wreck.

3.  Later in the year, and particularly when the offense changed after Gruden left, Haskins looked much better.  Specifically, he stopped holding the ball so long (Gruden), and made quicker throws/decisions.  As he got the ball out of his hands, the pacing improved and he looked a lot better.  Does this mean that he'll be great Fantasy QB?  Heck no.  But it also is some indication that Haskins has potential in the right offense.

4. Late in the year, while Haskins looked better, his stats were still not going to be huge because the new coach believed in a very strong running attack.  

Bottom line Skins are rebuilding and there are still questions at Offensive Line, TE, RB and one WR position.  WIth all those challenges, it's not wise to count on Haskins to be a starting caliber FFL QB this year.  However, according to the "eye test" and not "simply stats", Haskins appears to have potential so is maybe worth picking up very, very late or as a FA because you never know he may just emerge.

Not a monster Haskins fan but willing to give him a chance, guardedly...

Bottom line Skins are rebuilding and there are still questions at Offensive Line, TE, RB and one WR position.  WIth all those challenges, it's not wise to count on Haskins to be a starting caliber FFL QB this year.  However, according to the "eye test" and not "simply stats", Haskins appears to have potential so is maybe worth picking up very, very late or as a FA because you never know he may just emerge.
I am strictly a redraft guy, so I think that's where the disconnect is.  As you say in your first sentence above, the entire O has questions, with the exception of McLaurin.  Let's look at some FBG ADP's for the WAS players (I chose PPR over non-PPR, as that seems to be more the norm now):

QB - Dwayne Haskins (19.4, pick 220) = QB31
RB - Antonio Gibson (9.11, pick 107) = RB40
RB - Adrian Peterson (11.10, pick 130) = RB46
RB - Bryce Love (16.1, pick 181) = RB56
WR - Terry McLaurin (5.12, pick 60) = WR23
WR - Antonio Gandy-Golden (21.4, pick 244) = WR73
TE - No WAS TE's are named, but the ADP list only goes to pick 25.6 (294)
K - Dustin Hopkins (22.2, pick 254) = K20
D - 23.7, pick 271 = D27

Sure, some of the guys above will finish better than their ADP, but they are starting so low, you still wouldn't want them in your fantasy lineup.  If Haskins finishes QB24, that will be considered a win, but not as your FF weekly starter.  Let's face it.  Rebuilding is just a kind way of saying, "we suck right now, but hope to be better some day".  Teams can remain in the rebuilding phase for decades.

But you also can't ignore how improved their defense is, which should lead to more possessions for the offense, and with better coaching (and let's face it Gruden SUCKED and Ron is VERY respected and has a proven track record) I DO think its fair to assume the Redskins could be significantly better this season. World beaters? Of course not. But in a division that struggles defensively I could see a lot of poinst from this offense, at least more than what most are assuming right now. Trent Williams fiasco is behind us. Coaching has greatly improved. Talent has improved in the last few drafts. I think there is legit reason for optimism. I mean, hell, this franchise couldn't have been in worse shape under the last GM and coach. Only one way to go from here! 

I've lived here for 12 years and been a WaPo subscriber the entire time.  I do not recall ever seeing this man's name in the paper, hearing him on the radio, or seeing him on Twitter.
Thomas Boswell, the reporter? Very active when I lived in D.C. in the nineties. He, Kornheiser, and Wilbon were all really respected columnists at the time before Korn and Wilbon went on to make media caricatures of themselves and their reporting.

Wow, Boswell just took a flamethrower to Snyder

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/08/28/daniel-snyder-washington-boycott/

I know big city sports columnists doesn't have the pull they used to, but Boswell - now the dean of DC sports media and usually a pretty rational guy - doing this is still something
Yeah, I agree.  I expect this kind of scorched earth from Sally Jenkins and occasionally Brewer, but hearing it from Boswell shows you how desperate people have become.  We may be getting to the point where the die hards start to peel off...

MikeApf said:
Yeah, I agree.  I expect this kind of scorched earth from Sally Jenkins and occasionally Brewer, but hearing it from Boswell shows you how desperate people have become.  We may be getting to the point where the die hards start to peel off...
Boswell always writes how good everything is.  It is a surprising piece from him.

The NFL has seized control of the investigation into workplace misconduct allegations involving the Washington Football Team.

The investigation was initially to be conducted by an "outside" group chosen by the football club, without the NFL office's involvement. That has since changed, likely in an effort to make it a true independent investigation. According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, owner Daniel Snyder "was supportive of the step" when Commissioner Roger Goodell informed him of the decision. Snyder himself was specifically mentioned in the latest Washington Post allegations, not simply other employees (who have since been fired).

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Aug 31, 2020, 7:10 PM ET

Not talking about statistics but just talking as a Redskins fan who (sadly) suffered through every game last year.  Several points you have to note:

1. Gruden never supported Haskins, didn't give him reps, and threw him to the wolves early in the year.  Add to all this his lack of experience in college and it's not fair to use them as an indication of long term fantasy success.

2.  Gruden's team generally last year was a train wreck.

3.  Later in the year, and particularly when the offense changed after Gruden left, Haskins looked much better.  Specifically, he stopped holding the ball so long (Gruden), and made quicker throws/decisions.  As he got the ball out of his hands, the pacing improved and he looked a lot better.  Does this mean that he'll be great Fantasy QB?  Heck no.  But it also is some indication that Haskins has potential in the right offense.

4. Late in the year, while Haskins looked better, his stats were still not going to be huge because the new coach believed in a very strong running attack.  

Not a monster Haskins fan but willing to give him a chance, guardedly...
You know, when I look back at this team over the 40 years I've been old enough to be a fan, Gruden will certainly go down as the worst coach that had more than 3 or more years here. 

Pardee was pretty bad, but he was .500.  Turner was .454.   Gruden is only .410.   The only coaches that were worse like Zorn and Spurrier didn't survive beyond year 2.

Gruden was 5 years of careless coaching, lax practices, and no attention to detail.   Shanny had a worse record, but I didn't see that as being on him as much as the dysfunction of the organization being even worse back then.  So much of Gruden's problem was his team was never prepared.

Never have I been less excited about WAS football.  Maybe COVID has me enjoying so  many other things.  Maybe it's the name change.  Maybe it's the feeling of new coach but more of same.  Maybe it's the feeling that Haskins isn't close to ready.   Maybe it's the NFL spreading games out so much during the week that Sunday 1 pm and 4 pm are no longer times I want to set aside.

I should be excited with Riveboat Ron and maybe a good defense, plus to see if Haskins, Gibson, and Young can live up to the hype. I agree with the name change and have said it doesn't matter, but honestly approaching game time I'm pretty bummed about it. 

I feel like I'm rooting for an expansion team.

I get that washington doesn't have much of a team, but when are they announcing the name?
I'd expect next offseason.   Between the minority owners still trying to chase Snyder out, the NFL investigating the cheerleader and other internal allegations, a new coaching staff, a new VP, and COVID ... honestly the name is probably left alone for a season,  I think most fans like the helmets with the numbers on them. a la U Alabama.  But there needs to be something to rally around, and from most perspectives that is not going to be winning on the field (or off).

Posted in the other thread.

"Hail to  the Football Team" is so awkward to sing to the old tune.  Sounds better sung to the tune of "Rock and Roll Hoochie Koo."

Users who are viewing this thread