Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Deshaun Watson - In Limbo with no real news happening, speculation & rumours filling the thread

On 5/11/2021 at 8:32 AM, Dr. Octopus said:

At this point, I doubt Watson is playing for anybody come Week 1 - unless he decides to pay up and make the civil suits go away (which is certainly possible).

Lots of talk today, that settling is exactly what Watson is planning to do. That probably is in everyone's best interest, as there doesn't seem to be enough evidence to get any criminal convictions. Too easy to make a he said/she said.

Its hard to imagine a scenario where he doesn't face some sort of suspension. But it could be in the 4-8 game variety, which leaves some wiggle room for a trade. I'm projecting a little here, but I could see the Texans just wanting to move on, and taking very little in a trade, and attempting to justify it morally to their fanbase. But Watson for a single day 2 pick isn't crazy in my opinion.

3 teams stick out to me as potential landing spots:

1. Denver-They know their current QBs aren't anything special, and they are a QB away from being a playoff lock. Backup plan for Rodgers?

2. Washington-Fitzpatrick isn't a long term answer(obviously) and ideally isn't a short term answer either. Probably the best fit.

3. Miami-Probably unlikely, but they were clearly interested before, and could possibly even do a Tua swap straight up at this point.

I also think New Orleans, Philadelphia, and Pittsburgh would have interest, but I don't see how any of them could make it work cap wise.

Of course, with all that has happened, Watson may also just stay in Houston, at least for 2021, and then revisit it later.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And now you see why women are hesitant to come forward, you have 13 of them saying the same thing and still there is a not insignificant amount of people who assume they are just trying to hustle a bu

I find it humorous that some people think it's just an easy thing for a woman to lie about something like this about a high profile person, let alone finding 15+.  Like they just decide they're lookin

Any word on Bill Cosby?

4 minutes ago, travdogg said:

Lots of talk today, that settling is exactly what Watson is planning to do. That probably is in everyone's best interest, as there doesn't seem to be enough evidence to get any criminal convictions. Too easy to make a he said/she said.

Its hard to imagine a scenario where he doesn't face some sort of suspension. But it could be in the 4-8 game variety, which leaves some wiggle room for a trade. I'm projecting a little here, but I could see the Texans just wanting to move on, and taking very little in a trade, and attempting to justify it morally to their fanbase. But Watson for a single day 2 pick isn't crazy in my opinion.

1. Denver-They know their current QBs aren't anything special, and they are a QB away from being a playoff lock. Backup plan for Rodgers?

2. Washington-Fitzpatrick isn't a long term answer(obviously) and ideally isn't a short term answer either. Probably the best fit.

3. Miami-Probably unlikely, but they were clearly interested before, and could possibly even do a Tua swap straight up at this point.

I also think New Orleans, Philadelphia, and Pittsburgh would have interest, but I don't see how any of them could make it work cap wise.

Of course, with all that has happened, Watson may also just stay in Houston, at least for 2021, and then revisit it later.

I believe there is still interest in Carolina as well.  

9 minutes ago, travdogg said:

I think they all could make it work cap wise but it would be really kind of easy for Phily and Pittsburgh because his base next year is just $10M and it would be very easy to lower it to the league minimum which may not be necessary depending on how long any suspension would be. A little more problematic for the Saints because unlike the other two teams they don't have cap space opening up in 2022 and on the flip side his contract would be a piece of cake for the Steelers to take on but I don't see them in the market for him, I wish but don't see it and if it happened would be to be next off-season.

I think he he's going to one of Philly, Denver, Carolina or Miami myself and that's the order I'd rank them.

28 minutes ago, menobrown said:

I think they all could make it work cap wise but it would be really kind of easy for Phily and Pittsburgh because his base next year is just $10M and it would be very easy to lower it to the league minimum which may not be necessary depending on how long any suspension would be. A little more problematic for the Saints because unlike the other two teams they don't have cap space opening up in 2022 and on the flip side his contract would be a piece of cake for the Steelers to take on but I don't see them in the market for him, I wish but don't see it and if it happened would be to be next off-season.

I think he he's going to one of Philly, Denver, Carolina or Miami myself and that's the order I'd rank them.

You are likely right about the Steelers. For better or worse(probably worse)they seem to have convinced themselves that QB isn't the problem.

You don't think Washington would be in the mix, especially with Snyder loving to make big splashes?

From a fantasy perspective, I think Washington or Denver would be the best landing spots, unless somehow the Saints were able to pull some salary cap magic.

15 minutes ago, travdogg said:

You are likely right about the Steelers. For better or worse(probably worse)they seem to have convinced themselves that QB isn't the problem.

You don't think Washington would be in the mix, especially with Snyder loving to make big splashes?

From a fantasy perspective, I think Washington or Denver would be the best landing spots, unless somehow the Saints were able to pull some salary cap magic.

I think it's fair to put Washington in the mix but a few things were on my mind when I omitted them. I honestly think Snyder is letting Rivera call the shots but main reason I omitted them is the franchise seems to be doing everything PC in last year or so, going back to dropping Redskins name, who they've hired since, etc, etc.  Specifically with all the sexual misconduct accusations made against people in the FO and possibly Snyder they just seem to be going in a different direction as a franchise right now then one that would bring in someone with a cloud over him like Watson. Of course if during this the cloud gets lifted that could be a different story.

And I do think the Steelers understand future QB is a need, though as a Steeler fan I'm frightened to death they think Rudolph might be a serviceable answer while they figure it out. But Ben took a legit paycut to return this year and I don't think they'd throw him to the curb after doing that so any trade interest I think they would have for Watson would be after this season but Watson might be long gone from Houston by then.

Posted (edited)

IMO a trade is going to be very tricky.....you would have to assume a team is going to look at how the cap hit blooms to $40+ in 2022 and beyond and want a restructure prior to a trade.....if Watson settles, which is basically admitting guilt.....what is he going to be willing restructure down to?....if at all....?....and man selling your fan base on the new face of your franchise being a guy who basically is admitting that he mistreated/disrespected/whatever word you want use that many women, is going to be a hard sell....and I don't think HOU is just going to give him away....so you need a few things to line up perfectly

1. settles....admitting he's not a very good guy

2. Watson agreeing to restructure to a discounted rate

3. HOU lowering their asking price.....if he was worth 3 firsts + before....what is the price now

4. a team willing to take on his contract and give up a lot of assets.....

any GM willing to go out on a limb and acquire this dude is going to want to do so at a major discount in terms of what he gives up and the contract moving forward....I could see Watson agreeing to a restructured deal just to get out and get a fresh start.....(although if he settles all 20+ cases he's going need some cash)....just not sure HOU will give him away on the cheap....will be interesting to see where it meets in the middle if it happens....

Edited by Stinkin Ref
  • Like 1

Buzbee Calls Out NFL's Handling of Deshaun Watson Case; Says Settlement Won't Happen

Buzbee saying that cash settlements will not happen and the women want it to go to court.  

Find that hard to believe that these women do not want money or won't take a large settlement.  All the silence the last couple of weeks seems to hint that a settlement is in the works.  The drama continues.  

26 minutes ago, Jayrok said:

Buzbee Calls Out NFL's Handling of Deshaun Watson Case; Says Settlement Won't Happen

Buzbee saying that cash settlements will not happen and the women want it to go to court.  

Find that hard to believe that these women do not want money or won't take a large settlement.  All the silence the last couple of weeks seems to hint that a settlement is in the works.  The drama continues.  

If I am Buzbee and it is early on in settlement negotiations, offers have not been sent yet, or a lowball offer has been sent this is exactly what I am saying to drive up the price regardless of whether the woman want to settle or not.

• Thanks 1
55 minutes ago, Jayrok said:

Litigants in court cases don't always act rationally. Nonetheless, this is a bit surprising if true, because this lawsuit is essentially just about getting money. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Jayrok said:

Wouldn't going to court end in money anyway?  Assuming civil, not criminal.  I guess if they want to make sure he's found guilty in a civil trial OK, but sounds like posturing at this point.

• Like 3
On 5/12/2021 at 12:38 PM, travdogg said:

Watson for Rodgers

I can not see Washington for the obvious reason with their past front office misconduct accusation issues. I don't see the Rooney family bringing in Watson either. I think Gruden could be the one to pull a trade off and sell it to the fan base and ownership. Any team that trades for Watson will need to consider some serious kind of "PR" plan if not hire a consultant. The Raiders could get it done. Denver maybe. 

24 minutes ago, Soulfly3 said:

Dang, Watson's lawyer really tossing bombs at buzbee. 

It's a brawl

No lies were told.

Buzbee not happy with NFL investigation.  Why? Watson making no attempt to settle. Why?

I don't think since this started I've felt more confident in either no suspension or a fairly meager one.

To those that say "I can't see him playing" in 2021 I'd encourage you to look again. I'll say right now and say with confidence if he's not playing in 2021 it's because he chose to not to.

• Like 1

Statement from Rusty Hardin

In a recent interview, Mr. Buzbee stated that "a settlement is not happening."  We certainly agree that there are currently no settlement negotiations being conducted.  While we have never approached Mr. Buzbee about a settlement, he has approached us on numerous occasions in the past about the possibility of a settlement.  We have made clear all along that there would be no settlement unless the terms are made public and all participants are allowed to speak in their own defense at all times.  We want none of the participants-- the plaintiffs or Mr. Watson -- muzzled by a settlement agreement.  Mr. Buzbee does not feel the same.

I am a little bemused by Mr. Buzbee pronouncing piously that his clients are not going to settle and that they want their cases to play out in court.  The fact that this whole thing started with his attempt to extort money and avoid court shows that irony is not dead.  I guess it has just been raised to a new level. 

13 hours ago, menobrown said:

To those that say "I can't see him playing" in 2021 I'd encourage you to look again.

You don't think he goes on the Exempt List if this doesn't settle before the start of the season?

1 hour ago, Dr. Octopus said:

You don't think he goes on the Exempt List if this doesn't settle before the start of the season?

If it gets resolved in the courts I can see a 4 to 8 game suspension.  Probably closer to 4.

53 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

No but I'm inclined to think he begins the season suspended.  It's a further guessing game trying to predict how long he could be suspended but I do not think it's for the season. 

I believe the exempt list has only been used when someone was facing criminal charges. Saying that it seems a little bogus to say because NFL basically threatened NFL teams they would take this course of action if they signed AB but technically they've managed to only use on players facing criminal charges.

The major difference why the NFL threatened teams with exempt list for AB  is that the NFL found out about AB in-season, no time to conduct their investigation. I think they will  have had a good 6 months to investigate Watson. So IMO no need for exempt list and if he's suspended and the civil trail still looms I would anticipate some language in their suspension similar to the one we saw when they announced AB's suspension. Which is to say based on what we know this is the suspension, if we find out more damaging info we might suspend you more.

6 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

If it gets resolved in the courts I can see a 4 to 8 game suspension.  Probably closer to 4.

It would need to settle before the season started - very little chance the litigation closes in the next three months.

7 minutes ago, menobrown said:

No but I'm inclined to think he begins the season suspended.  It's a further guessing game trying to predict how long he could be suspended but I do not think it's for the season. 

I believe the exempt list has only been used when someone was facing criminal charges.

Maybe in the past, but if a high profile case (even civil) like this is still ongoing, I doubt the NFL wants to face the backlash from women's groups and/or have it brought up during every game whatever team he ends up with is playing.

I'm only guessing, of course, but unless both sides are bluffing about their desire to settle - which is admittedly likely - I'll stick with the Exempt List being in his future.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Dr. Octopus said:

It would need to settle before the season started - very little chance the litigation closes in the next three months.

Maybe it would if he settles.

eta probably best I learn how to read or get off the beach.

Edited by JohnnyU
6 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

Did you actually read what I wrote?

Sorry, I’m at the beach and didn’t read it all.  Lots of glare from the sun.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1
13 hours ago, Soulfly3 said:

looks like he'll be suiting up week 1. 

barring him holding himself out, of course

Why would he hold himself out?

What specific info tells you he is likely suiting up week 1?

Posted (edited)

Going to be a whole lot more come out before we can say that he will be starting any week in 2021. No matter what happens I would think week 5 is the very earliest we will see Watson suiting up for any team. There will be some kind of discipline handed down. I think a four game suspension is the very best Watson managers can hope for. I easily can see 6-8 weeks as being realistic. This of course is if this all goes away via settlement.

Edited by osubuckeyeman
On 5/15/2021 at 9:00 AM, Alex P Keaton said:

Why would he hold himself out?

didn't he ask out of houston? i have no idea if he would hold out, but he definitely wants out. 

Watson's won't be disposed on his civil case until 2022.

So unless he settles or Houston PD moves forward with charges(they won't) what happens next seems like it hinges on what NFL decides. If they put him on exempt list I think we'll just be stuck in a year long holding pattern. I don't think this will be the case. In part because no criminal charges were filed and because McNair would just be stuck paying him.

Question to me is if he's suspended less then a year, so eligible to play in 2021, do teams start aggressively pursuing him before his legal situation is wrapped up? I think so, but not if he got handed down a season long suspension which is why am concerned that's what he'll get. Just easier for NFL to make him go away for a year then all the hoopla over him possibly joining a new team in-season after serving a suspension.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, menobrown said:

Watson's won't be disposed on his civil case until 2022.

So unless he settles or Houston PD moves forward with charges(they won't) what happens next seems like it hinges on what NFL decides. If they put him on exempt list I think we'll just be stuck in a year long holding pattern. I don't think this will be the case. In part because no criminal charges were filed and because McNair would just be stuck paying him.

Question to me is if he's suspended less then a year, so eligible to play in 2021, do teams start aggressively pursuing him before his legal situation is wrapped up? I think so, but not if he got handed down a season long suspension which is why am concerned that's what he'll get. Just easier for NFL to make him go away for a year then all the hoopla over him possibly joining a new team in-season after serving a suspension.

Houston Texans QB Deshaun Watson not scheduled to be deposed in case against him until early 2022

16 hours ago, menobrown said:

McNair would just be stuck paying him.

While I've mentioned the exempt list a few times, this would surely be a sticking point in going that route - essentially Watson would be getting what he wanted - not playing for the Texans - while still getting paid for (allegedly) being a bad actor.

Still a complete mess. I think the fact that he posted a video of him working out was a good sign or message to teams he is preparing to play. I could also imagine that he might have been feeling good about the direction of his civil cases. The person that knows best in this case/cases is Watson. He knows the evidence. This case/cases need settled and I assume they will be. Watson can not have the evidence become public if there is significantly disturbing or embarrassing evidence. I guess the cases are in the discovery phase right now. Watson should know exactly what that evidence is but with 22 cases he might not he has a good idea though.

56 minutes ago, Soulfly3 said:

suiting up week 1? probably.

I don't think so.  A settlement would be looked at as an admission of guilt. The amount of press and attention this situation has received as it should garner a punishment from the NFL. The sheer volume of cases will be hard to overcome. If there is no settlement? Have to think the exempt list is where he is headed. As someone said it's going to be much easier to do that than have to deal with the public out cry. 

Settlement: 6-8 games seems about right. 

No settlement: Roger's list. 

• Faust changed the title to Deshaun Watson - In Limbo with no real news happening, speculation & rumours filling the thread