What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Deshaun Watson, CLE (11 Viewers)

Neat hobby we have.
Haha.  So frustrating. The week before, I would have bet my house that it was Mixon's breakout game because they were playing Cleveland and the O.C. was making him the focus. Sometimes I swear that this is 100% luck and my dog could pick starters with equal accuracy. 

Haha.  So frustrating. The week before, I would have bet my house that it was Mixon's breakout game because they were playing Cleveland and the O.C. was making him the focus. Sometimes I swear that this is 100% luck and my dog could pick starters with equal accuracy. 
It's the Jekyll & Hyde league. No one can be trusted.

top 10 dynasty QB right now?

oh yeah. problem is, most teams who have him probably have a capable QB that they'd want to ship off instead.

i have matt ryan and deshaun. and i'm more than happy to move ryan... you'd have to blow me away to get deshaun right now. 

oh yeah. problem is, most teams who have him probably have a capable QB that they'd want to ship off instead.

i have matt ryan and deshaun. and i'm more than happy to move ryan... you'd have to blow me away to get deshaun right now. 
Rodgers, Cam, Watson  10 team dynasty, start 1 QB.  Watson is on my practice squad, so he's not taking up a roster spot.  Offered him for a first to a qb needy team who's 1-4 right now.  Not really sure I want him to say yes.

In a redraft/keep two league, where you can keep two players for one year only (so if you draft a player, you have him for that season and the next season MAX) what is Watson’s value? If you had him, what type of WR would you realistically expect in return?

Rodgers, Cam, Watson  10 team dynasty, start 1 QB.  Watson is on my practice squad, so he's not taking up a roster spot.  Offered him for a first to a qb needy team who's 1-4 right now.  Not really sure I want him to say yes.

a future first is nice and that looks like a high pick since the team is 1-4 but... deshaun looks like what you'd WANT that pick to turn into.

you'd have to make my team better this year for me to move deshaun.

if i was that owner, i'd hit accept pretty fast.

Kid is beasting....why didn't cleveland take him I'll never  know
From what I understand, Watson's measurables weren't franchise quarterback-like. This is one downfall of the combine and all the weight the teams seem to put into it. You could see he was special in college. Calm under any circumstance. A true playmaker.  But scouts go gaga over the guys with Cutler-like arms.  I'm not saying I predicted in college that this guy would be a good/great NFL QB. It just seems like a crapshoot sometimes.  The Rams took Goff over Wentz. Back in the day, everyone debated if Peyton Manning or Ryan Leaf should go number one. All I know is that Cleveland traded away Carson Wentz. That's one that the Eagles got right. And they passed on Watson the next year.  Their fans have to be livid. 

From what I understand, Watson's measurables weren't franchise quarterback-like. This is one downfall of the combine and all the weight the teams seem to put into it. You could see he was special in college. Calm under any circumstance. A true playmaker.  But scouts go gaga over the guys with Cutler-like arms.  I'm not saying I predicted in college that this guy would be a good/great NFL QB. It just seems like a crapshoot sometimes.  The Rams took Goff over Wentz. Back in the day, everyone debated if Peyton Manning or Ryan Leaf should go number one. All I know is that Cleveland traded away Carson Wentz. That's one that the Eagles got right. And they passed on Watson the next year.  Their fans have to be livid. 
Yeah sometimes these guys outthink themselves. The kids was legit and it was obvious

I believe most people in here that doubted Watson said it was his arm speed/throwing speed but I guess it doesn't matter as much as they thought when the QB can do everything else their supposed to do fairly well (throw accurately, find the open receiver, etc...)

They got DeShone Kizer. :lmao:  

But there is hope. They are gonna have a top 3 if not the #1 overall and have a shot at a franchise QB. They just have to choose wisely.

I'd still like to understand where Watson's low marks on his throw velocity comes from.  He doesn't seem to have that much trouble throwing the ball downfield over and over with 50+ yards in the air with decent velocity.  Maybe he just flubbed that part of the combine?

strong said:
a future first is nice and that looks like a high pick since the team is 1-4 but... deshaun looks like what you'd WANT that pick to turn into.

you'd have to make my team better this year for me to move deshaun.

if i was that owner, i'd hit accept pretty fast.
Might amend the offer and ask for O Beckham instead, who obviously ain't helping him.

I'd still like to understand where Watson's low marks on his throw velocity comes from.  He doesn't seem to have that much trouble throwing the ball downfield over and over with 50+ yards in the air with decent velocity.  Maybe he just flubbed that part of the combine?
If I’m not mistaken, the velocity portion was taken from when they were throwing to receivers who were running routes. Any number of things I’m sure could skew those numbers, but I doubt he was throwing as hard as he could. He won’t touch Mahomes in arm strength, but I’m sure if they said “hey, fling it as hard as you can” then Watson would top the 49 mph everyone kept freaking out about. 

I’ve got the same two (as well as Cutler for some reason), and I’d orovably be more apt to trade Ryan as well. I’m a Clemson alum and a Falcons homer though, so I’ll just hang on. Watson has moved into the starting role most likely every week though.

I’ve got the same two (as well as Cutler for some reason), and I’d orovably be more apt to trade Ryan as well. I’m a Clemson alum and a Falcons homer though, so I’ll just hang on. Watson has moved into the starting role most likely every week though.

yeah. watson is starting for me too. thought about it week 4... but now i'm gonna roll with deshaun until matt earns it back.

watson's worst game since starting equals ryan's best game...

I believe most people in here that doubted Watson said it was his arm speed/throwing speed but I guess it doesn't matter as much as they thought when the QB can do everything else their supposed to do fairly well (throw accurately, find the open receiver, etc...)
Watson does throw some pretty inaccurate passes at times.

He has great pocket presence though and that is one of the QB traits that I consider to be very important at the NFL level.

The arm strength stuff never made much sense to me. Theres only a few kinds of throws that this really matters for. I think good touch on the ball is more important than zip. Some of these QBs throw the ball way too hard when it isn't necessary.

Watson is like a good point guard. He manages the plays well and finds the open man.

I'll be honest, I'm not totally sure what to make of Watson. I had him ranked as my top QB coming out, but I got spooked a bit in preseason. He looked lost.

Fast forward to the regular season & he's producing like a stud. Watson does have some limitations, but has other traits & intangibles that can help hide his weaknesses.

I'm extremely leery of Watson continuing anything close to this kind of production, but it's evident he's got a lot of talent.

Biabreakable said:
Watson does throw some pretty inaccurate passes at times.

He has great pocket presence though and that is one of the QB traits that I consider to be very important at the NFL level.

The arm strength stuff never made much sense to me. Theres only a few kinds of throws that this really matters for. I think good touch on the ball is more important than zip. Some of these QBs throw the ball way too hard when it isn't necessary.

Watson is like a good point guard. He manages the plays well and finds the open man.
the last point is what I was mostly saying. I realize he hasn't been amazingly accurate but when are most rookie QBs. All I know is the 5 games or so when he was playing top teams in college were I watched the game he had some perfect throws (quite a few in big moments). Those will come in time when he gets more acclimated to the big leagues

He's looking be like Cam in his rookie year only he can throw the ball better. I waited too long that year to grab Cam. 

QB1 rest of the year? As someone who drafted Luck I've been playing Palmer (who has been more than serviceable although it hasn't looked pretty), I'm pretty encouraged to also have Watson now.

bigmarc27 said:
If I’m not mistaken, the velocity portion was taken from when they were throwing to receivers who were running routes. Any number of things I’m sure could skew those numbers, but I doubt he was throwing as hard as he could. He won’t touch Mahomes in arm strength, but I’m sure if they said “hey, fling it as hard as you can” then Watson would top the 49 mph everyone kept freaking out about. 
That whole arm velocity thing up-thread where Watson was said to be .056 mph slower in ball velocity was just comical.  Too many get caught up in the analytical weeds and miss out on talent when it's right in front of them.  I know you're a Clemson homer (as am I) and we've seen Watson make plays for years.  The bigger the stage, the better he performed.  

Houston is fortunate to have him.  

On the "one look and panics" thing, there was a play in the KC game which really impressed me.  It was fourth and inches in the redzone and the Texans went for it.  First read was clearly a quick slant to Hopkins, but a linebacker immediately jumped in front of the throwing lane.  Deshaun pump faked the throw and rolled the opposite direction and made a great throw to Fulller on the right for a TD.  This is a rookie?

Nah, I don't think arm strength was anything but a minor concern. 

Accuracy and decision making were the big knocks. He wasn't the most accurate in college, and hasn't been the most accurate NFL passer, but he's definitely been good enough to get by with his other strengths. He's not great at vertical routes, tends to overthrow them more than you want to see from an NFL QB.  Though he has connected a number of times, and I think he has looked better these last 3 weeks compared to the first 3 weeks and preseason.  Though even today he had a couple of overthrows like that.

Decision-making was cited a lot in part because he had a lot of interceptions in college, and also because Clemson's scheme didn't call on him to do as much reading of the defense and scanning the entire field during plays.

Now that we've seen 6 weeks of him, I think we're seeing that decision-making was correctly a worry in some reasons but is a strength in others. He makes a number of rookie-caliber bad decisions a game... one pick 6 today from one, and another that should have been a pick but for Hopkins knocking it away from a defender. Those may be correctable, the kind of things that many rookie QBs do so hopefully he'll correct.  And he seems to have the football smarts I think he will.

But I think his ability to read the field was under estimated. I might call it a strength of his, even, in particular when you factor in being able to keep a play alive. 

Trying to assess value, would you accept something like R. Wilson for him ROS (as a result of schedule) or would it take more than that to get him?

Trying to assess value, would you accept something like R. Wilson for him ROS (as a result of schedule) or would it take more than that to get him?
Redraft I assume?  FBG's seems to think there are 4-5 QB's ahead of Watson for the ROS (one of which is Wilson), but I personally wouldn't trade him for Wilson.

Redraft I assume?  FBG's seems to think there are 4-5 QB's ahead of Watson for the ROS (one of which is Wilson), but I personally wouldn't trade him for Wilson.
I would.

Wilson's schedule is sweet ROS, historically a 2nd half QB anyway, SEA can't run the ball worth a damn.

I see Wilson as what Watson can/will be.

A lot of Watson owners out there who see nothing but upside and zero downside risk right now. A middling performance on the road against a more than solid D in SEA could change that perspective. He is a rookie.

Users who are viewing this thread