What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Alex Collins, SEA (3 Viewers)

Has Collins done nothing this season? 

He's done well when given opportunities. He's in a timeshare backfield (has not changed), with 2 RBs coming back (we know this), on a bad offense (what else is new in BAL?). Unless Harbaugh or the OC comes out and says his touches are increasing, what is there left to debate? The kid has talent, but is lacking opportunity. Things are not on the rise on that front with all the RBs they will have taking carries. 

I understand people want to see him more. I understand he hasn't been given an opportunity. But what is numerous pages of banter actually accomplishing?

He's in a timeshare backfield (has not changed), with 2 RBs coming back (we know this),

Unless Harbaugh or the OC comes out and says his touches are increasing

The kid has talent, but is lacking opportunity.

Things are not on the rise on that front with all the RBs they will have taking carries. 

what is there left to debate?
1. He's in a timeshare backfield getting more touches over the last 5 weeks. That's worth discussing. Especially with 2 RBs coming back... what do people think his long term value is based on the inevitable return of Woodhead? It's been speculated and discussed/debated that Woodhead would cut more into Allen's carries. Okay, I think that's worth discussion. 

2. Do you need the HC or OC to come out to verify that 15> 12> 9 = 9 >7? I feel like my 7 year old nephews could confirm this... You're right, this isn't worth debating/discussing. But it's worth discussing that the trend is increasing each week. 

3. He's getting more opportunity. And see #1 and 2 for any worth discussing this

4. See #2. His carries are on the rise. As is his production on the ground. His YPC is among some of the best in the league. 

Since you seem to be the self proclaimed Bumping Police, what 20 threads should be on page 1? Is there a pretty insane amount of news on Page 2 that keeps getting pushed back by this one thread? As far as I'm concerned, there's not a whole lot to talk about these days and Collins' thread is just as relevant as any other

if you don't like coming in here to not see news, then don't come in here. Pretty simple. Why is the PHI thread on page 1? What news is coming out for that team? Maybe PHI fans just like discussing PHI football. Collins fans like discussing Collins. Don't like it, don't click it :shrug:

Your posts in the Buffalo Bills thread are pretty useless. I could easily complain that no news is really relevant in that thread, so why is it on page 1? But I just don't click it because I don't care. Therefore I don't complain. 

Not to be a complete tool about this, it just irks me that someone comes in and declares an entire thread not worth discussing because its not valuable to him. Of all the threads on page 1, this is perhaps the most valuable to me this week aside from the Survivor Pool. It's like going swimming and then complaining that you're wet and it's not fun. Some people like to swim. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Look, if there is a legitimate discussion taking place, fine. But when there is no news, and it's just a speculation discussion back and forth for several pages, what are we learning? It's just beating a dead horse. I like the kid and think he's getting a raw deal by Harbaugh, but what I think won't change it. I have no news or analysis to suggest otherwise.
A lack of click-bait/news does not mean that discussing a player from differing perspectives cannot contribute to informing our own opinions.

I like to hear what people are doing with him, who they are starting him over and why. I like to think that me telling people that I dropped him for Darkwa but would not have for Dion Lewis helped others understand perceptions of his value.

Sorry you aren't getting anything out of it but that does not mean no one is getting anything out of it.

As much as @Weebs210 is trying to be mini @Soulfly3, in a good way (as if there was a bad one) this isn't the Josh Gordon thread.

I'm considering starting him.... my alternative is Cohen and I can't trust him too much. If he didn't throw that TD last week he would have had another dud. Collins is scoring almost the same as Cohen, but without TDs. Both are interchangeable in my mind as desperation plays. 
I dumped Cohen and added Collins back again in my shallow Yahoo redraft. Of course I'm off to my worst start ever at 0-6 so you probably shouldn't listen to me. Still battling to turn things around even though I'm toast already.

A lack of click-bait/news does not mean that discussing a player from differing perspectives cannot contribute to informing our own opinions.

I like to hear what people are doing with him, who they are starting him over and why. I like to think that me telling people that I dropped him for Darkwa but would not have for Dion Lewis helped others understand perceptions of his value.

Sorry you aren't getting anything out of it but that does not mean no one is getting anything out of it.

As much as @Weebs210 is trying to be mini @Soulfly3, in a good way (as if there was a bad one) this isn't the Josh Gordon thread.
In my PPR league with short benches, Darkwa was scooped up right after ADP as WW picks 1 and 2 last night.  Collins remains on the WW. 

In my PPR league with short benches, Darkwa was scooped up right after ADP as WW picks 1 and 2 last night.  Collins remains on the WW. 
Collins still on my wire right now with not much else interesting out there at RB.  Rawls, McGuire & Booker seem like the others that may be worth a flyer this week.

Honesty debating starting Collins over Cooper in the flex to take advantage of the trend but the tough matchup Finn has is worrisome.
Oooof. Tough call. I just now realize why we are calling him Mitch Finn. Funny stuff. 

Its either Martavis or Collins for me..... leaving Martavis in for now due to potential squeaky wheel situation and pitt playing at home. I dunno. 

If i had coop I don’t think I would bench over Collins at the moment. Especially playing Minn D

Oooof. Tough call. I just now realize why we are calling him Mitch Finn. Funny stuff. 

Its either Martavis or Collins for me..... leaving Martavis in for now due to potential squeaky wheel situation and pitt playing at home. I dunno. 

If i had coop I don’t think I would bench over Collins at the moment. Especially playing Minn D
Appreciate it. Not to turn the focus from Mitchy Finn to our teams, but you have a tough choice yourself.

Standard, would slot in Collins. PPR, same choice but it's more of a toss up. I just think Collins has more opportunity for the yardage.

If you really need the win, the safer play may be Bryant as the matchup Collins has is admittedly formidable -- the Vikes have shut down LeVeon Bell and Jordan Howard and I *think* has only allowed 1 rush TD so far. HTH?

Anthony Barr practiced in full today and Sendejo is back as well so looking like the Vikings defense will be at full strength for the game against the Ravens.

I guess Barr was limited. But he cleared concussion protocol so he likely will play.

Appreciate it. Not to turn the focus from Mitchy Finn to our teams, but you have a tough choice yourself.

Standard, would slot in Collins. PPR, same choice but it's more of a toss up. I just think Collins has more opportunity for the yardage.

If you really need the win, the safer play may be Bryant as the matchup Collins has is admittedly formidable -- the Vikes have shut down LeVeon Bell and Jordan Howard and I *think* has only allowed 1 rush TD so far. HTH?
Yeah the MIN D worries me. It's one of the best in the league. If it wasn't MIN I wouldn't hesitate to start Collins this week. For some reason I just feel like he's bound to break out big one of these weeks here. Must be all the "lack of legitimate discussion" and "speculation discussion back and forth for several pages" that has me all antsy in the pantsy about this guy. 

MIN is 31st in FP allowed to RBs this season. 27th in yards allowed, and yes 1 TD

So not much to get excited about. 

However, let's look at who they've faced: 
Week 1 NO
Week 2 PIT - they ddi give up 87 yards to Bell, no TD though
Week 3 TB without Martin
Week 4 DET
Week 5 CHI - gave up 76 to Howard (93 total not counting Trubisky)
Week 6 GB without Rodgers and a banged up Montgomery

Aside from Howard/Bell, not much to write home about, but still, let's not discount MIN as a top notch defense, fully healthy, and a very tough match up

I'd be thrilled with 70 yards and a chance for a score with Collins... the chance for a score is the big if and unlikely event. But if it happens that's huge. 

What's likely to happen is 55 yards and no score. Not sure if Cohen does better or not... still on the fence. 

Next week on Thursday night will be the big breakout performance for Collins. 198 yards, 3TDs, along with 3 catches for 11 yards.  "Primetime Collins" will be his new nickname and he'll be safely in my starting lineup.  But don't play him this week against the Vikings...

Week 1 NO
Week 3 TB without Martin
Week 4 DET

I've come to the realization that RB talent shouldn't be weighted as heavily as OL talent, specifically how well the OL run blocks. The truth is if the OL vs. DL match-up is in the OL's favor it doesn't matter if it's Rob Kelley with his mailbox athleticism running behind that line, he'll probably perform well.

I think BAL's offensive line has been doing a good job of run blocking lately and I remember that despite losing Yanda, BAL homers were raving about how well the unit blocked vs. PIT in week 4 but I haven't followed up since then. I don't have PFF elite so I can't see their to date ranking although I can see separate lineman grades.

At least, PFF has the OL vs. DL run blocking match-up in MIN's favor but not by a whole lot. I don't put crazy stock in PFF but it makes sense on the surface. It's not a good match-up but it's not the worst. 

I've come to the realization that RB talent shouldn't be weighted as heavily as OL talent, specifically how well the OL run blocks. The truth is if the OL vs. DL match-up is in the OL's favor it doesn't matter if it's Rob Kelley with his mailbox athleticism running behind that line, he'll probably perform well.

I think BAL's offensive line has been doing a good job of run blocking lately and I remember that despite losing Yanda, BAL homers were raving about how well the unit blocked vs. PIT in week 4 but I haven't followed up since then. I don't have PFF elite so I can't see their to date ranking although I can see separate lineman grades.

At least, PFF has the OL vs. DL run blocking match-up in MIN's favor but not by a whole lot. I don't put crazy stock in PFF but it makes sense on the surface. It's not a good match-up but it's not the worst. 
I really agree with you a lot on this point. This is my next evolution of FF research as I try to figure out why some players who are pedestrian can run much better on units that look good on paper. I like where your heads at SSND

Yeah the MIN D worries me. It's one of the best in the league. If it wasn't MIN I wouldn't hesitate to start Collins this week. For some reason I just feel like he's bound to break out big one of these weeks here. Must be all the "lack of legitimate discussion" and "speculation discussion back and forth for several pages" that has me all antsy in the pantsy about this guy. 

MIN is 31st in FP allowed to RBs this season. 27th in yards allowed, and yes 1 TD

So not much to get excited about. 

Week 1 NO
Week 3 TB without Martin
Week 4 DET

Aside from Howard/Bell, not much to write home about, but still, let's not discount MIN as a top notch defense, fully healthy, and a very tough match up

I'd be thrilled with 70 yards and a chance for a score with Collins... the chance for a score is the big if and unlikely event. But if it happens that's huge. 

What's likely to happen is 55 yards and no score. Not sure if Cohen does better or not... still on the fence. 

On the flip side, the Ravens are a stout D as well. And the Vikes are living on borrowed time if they have to play yet another game without their QB1, RB1, and WR1. So we may see some turnovers and a short field for both teams. 

TwinTurbo said:
On the flip side, the Ravens are a stout D as well. And the Vikes are living on borrowed time if they have to play yet another game without their QB1, RB1, and WR1. So we may see some turnovers and a short field for both teams. 
This is definitely a legit concern. If the Vikings lose this game I think it will be because of the Ravens defense forcing turnovers, which is quite possible or even likely. 

I think Keenum has been lucky to not have been intercepted on several plays already and the Ravens defense is good.

Debating between Collins and Coleman in a TD-Heavy league. My other option would be to start Ivory alongside Fournette. Collins is in there right now but can easily see myself switching him out.

Dr. Dan said:
Week 1 NO
Week 3 TB without Martin
Week 4 DET

Abdullah put up 20/94/1 on them Week 4.

ahartig said:
Hope you started cooper!!!!
Thanks for asking, gb. I did, it was the responsible thing to do and maybe was saved by my own homerism. 

Had both Coop and Hill go off for me last night putting me in a nice spot going into the weekend so might start Collins over Montgomery just because I can better afford to.

Maybe I’m still delirious from last night’s win....

Traded Collins for Shepard just there. Pretty good at RB with Martin/Kamara/Anderson/McKinnon/Henry and had a WR bye fiasco coming up in week 9 as own both Hogan and Cooks alongside AJ Green. Hopefully both parties end up happy, was a little sad to let Collins go though 

So I just worked a 2 for 1 trade freeing up a RB spot.

Hmmmm...who should I add?  Who...should...I...add...?

Not Collins please. I would like to see what he can do when he is not owned by you.
:lmao:

Okay, I'll play along. 12 team, super-flex, PPR, redraft.

Sell me on one of the following over Collins. 

Thomas Rawls, Jalen Richard, Devontae Booker or Wendell Smallwood.

I need to believe you mean it so let's have some solid, salient, defensible points as to why one of these guys would be better.

I need to believe you mean it so let's have some solid, salient, defensible points as to why one of these guys would be better.
Collins ;)

If I were passing him though, I'd go with Booker then Smallwood.  No faith in either OAK RB getting a big enough slice of that very small pie and no interest in anything SEA.

Yeah I got nothing.I wouldn't roster any of those guys. Maybe Rawls at the slight chance he takes over.

Rawls.  His past demonstrates that if he takes over as the bellcow the ceiling is RB1 high.

The rest, pass.  Richard doesn't look to be escaping a value-sucking RBBC anytime soon.  Booker, I'm not even sure what production you get there even if CJA goes down.  Smallwood, not a fan.  Could become relevant out of attrition if Blount goes down I guess.

Yeah I got nothing.I wouldn't roster any of those guys. Maybe Rawls at the slight chance he takes over.
I appreciate the honesty bruv.

I like Smallwood too as my league is PPR (which kills Collins value) and he seems to clearly fill the Sproles role in Phili and seems pretty game script proof.  Plus he even got a little goal line love (again, unlike Collins).

But, ultimately, watching Smallwood I don't feel he has true King Maker potential, even if Blount gets hurt. Collins OTOH, man if he keeps it together I think the receptions and short yardage will follow and (again if that happens) will win people leagues.

I have considered dropping Aaron Jones for Smallwood since my league is PPR as well.  Smallwood may not be great but in that Philly O, he does not have to be.  All he needs is touches including catches and he should get yards.  Defenses have to defend the whole field when playing Philly.  A RB sneaking out for a few receptions each week should result in some decent points. 

I appreciate the honesty bruv.

I like Smallwood too as my league is PPR (which kills Collins value) and he seems to clearly fill the Sproles role in Phili and seems pretty game script proof.  Plus he even got a little goal line love (again, unlike Collins).

But, ultimately, watching Smallwood I don't feel he has true King Maker potential, even if Blount gets hurt. Collins OTOH, man if he keeps it together I think the receptions and short yardage will follow and (again if that happens) will win people leagues.
2 targets, 0 receptions [Collins]

Of course Smallwood is not a kingmaker, there are a handful of guys who should be on the bottom of your roster (Breida, Collins. Foreman, Mack) who could [be] your FF playoff lottery ticket. The purpose of rostering Ivory or Smallwood is a safe floor bye week filler.

They’ll be back on the WW when I’m cutting my backup QB, TE, WR5/6 & getting set the the last 6-7 weeks once significant byes are over.

Of course Smallwood is not a kingmaker, there are a handful of guys who should be on the bottom of your roster (Breida, Collins. Foreman, Mack) who could [be] your FF playoff lottery ticket. 
I have the first 3 of those 4 sitting on my roster waiting for a lottery win. Please please please. 

I think it's really important he gets either 100 yards rushing or a TD this week...needs to take things to the next level and one of these two is something people will take notice on...

I have both Collins & Smallwood as bench depth in both my leagues & for PPR I’ve got Smallwood over Collins.

Smallwood was a 7-10+ point weekly play in PPR before the Sproles injury. He popped to 18+ after Sproles went down.

a lot of folks saying look how good Blount has been without Smallwood. I’d say look low much less creative the offense has been - Wentz loves the dump off. And they used Smallwood in the red zone too. 

It’s a little tricky starting him fresh off of injury, but he practiced in full all week. 

Smallwood should be good for 5-8 receptions & 40-70 receiving yards, plus ~25 yards as his floor. maybe a TD. 

Collins likely 60-80 RuYd, 0 receptions - so he’s a TD or bust play. 

I rest my case, your honor. 

Odds seem very low for that to happen from my perspective.
Why (unless you think this matchup is too much to overcome which is a very legit concern)?  He is starting to get more involved...his carries are trending upward...from 9 twice to 12 to 15...he has had 3 games in the last 4 with over 70 yards and has broken off some real nice runs...I just think he needs to hit one of these markers (a TD or a 100 yards) to become more fantasy relevant...the fact it would come against a good D would be that much more of a bonus...would like to see him take a jump from the intriguing category to the I think we really may something category...if he can do that this week it will be a huge boost to the owners that have been sitting tight on him...for most leagues we are at the 1/2-way marker till playoffs and I would really like to see something more tangible from him so I can figure out what exactly we have with him...

Boston said:
Why (unless you think this matchup is too much to overcome which is a very legit concern)?  He is starting to get more involved...his carries are trending upward...from 9 twice to 12 to 15...he has had 3 games in the last 4 with over 70 yards and has broken off some real nice runs...I just think he needs to hit one of these markers (a TD or a 100 yards) to become more fantasy relevant...the fact it would come against a good D would be that much more of a bonus...would like to see him take a jump from the intriguing category to the I think we really may something category...if he can do that this week it will be a huge boost to the owners that have been sitting tight on him...for most leagues we are at the 1/2-way marker till playoffs and I would really like to see something more tangible from him so I can figure out what exactly we have with him...
Absolutely if he is able to have a good game against the Vikings it would prove how good he is.

However the Vikings defense is playing the run very good and just very good defense overall, so I really don't see that happening. The Vikings defensive line is too good and the Ravens offensive line isn't. The Vikings defense matches up really good against the Ravens receivers as well so they are not going to put extra attention there. Watson, Wallace Maclin and Collins are the Ravens biggest threats in my opinion but they do not seem good enough to overcome the way the Vikings match up against them.

I think its possible that the Ravens defense forces turnovers and presents some short fields, so a TD could be more likely than 100 yard game.

I do think Collins is capable of putting up those numbers at some point if given the opportunity, but unlikely it is going to happen this Sunday.

Look at what Aaron Jones and Montgomery did in most recent game against the Vikings. It would be very impressive if Collins could do better than this against them, I just dont consider that to be very likely.

Users who are viewing this thread