What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Dalvin Cook, Free Agent (11 Viewers)

I found an article with some details about it. Im not sure if this is finalized or not yet, but yeah sounds like no season accrued, so I dont see how it helps him to get a better contract after aging a year.
I agree it would be stupid. It's sort of what LeVeon Bell did except it was difficult for Pittsburgh to make him stay. Opting out would be a huge gamble for Cook, banking on Minnesota doing terrible without him thus gaining some leverage for next year. Only if he's really intent it gives him a way to avoid the fines. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree it would be stupid. It's sort of what LeVeon Bell did except it was difficult for Pittsburgh to make him stay. Opting out would be a huge gamble for Cook, banking on Minnesota doing terrible without him thus gaining some leverage for next year. Only if he's really intent it gives him a way to avoid the fines. 
But it's not what Bell did for a couple of reasons:

1. Bell was not under contract. He never signed his franchise tag tender for the 2018 season.
  2. Bell had already played 5 seasons, so there was no issue about accruing enough seasons to reach unrestricted free agency.
  3. Bell had already earned more than $16M prior to the 2018 season.
Despite all that, what Bell did was foolish IMO. He didn't retire, so it wasn't about preserving his health/body. He skipped out on $14.5M that he will never get back; he would have been the highest paid RB in football that season had he played under the tag, and then he still would have reached free agency in 2019.

Back to Cook. If he opts out for the entire season and Minnesota's running game suffers, I don't think it gives him any additional leverage. He still has to accrue a season to get to UFA, so he still cannot hold out. He is still subject to heavy fines if he does. And he would be coming to the negotiating table having just left the team for a season, which cannot help the team's view of him (assuming they would view it as a workaround holdout, not over true concern over COVID). Meanwhile, he will have earned nothing in 2020 and delayed himself by 1 year from his next payday, which is when he stands to get bigger money, whether via tag, extension from Minnesota, or signed a UFA contract. It just doesn't make sense.

The only thing that could change anything would be if the final terms negotiated on opting out provides an opportunity to opt back in later in the season. But even that is a risky move for Cook.

Look what happened to Gordon. He held out 4 games and Ekeler had 492 YFS and 6 TDs in those games. Gordon ended his holdout and  averaged 2.5 ypc and 3.4 ypr with just 1 TD in his first 4 games back. That stretch included the game at TEN when he ran twice from the 1 yard line at the end of the game where a TD would win and a FG would tie... and he fumbled on the second carry and TEN recovered. Gordon was better in the last 8 games, but there is no question in my mind that he lost money overall.

The Vikings have Mattison; Cook would be taking a risk to assume that the Minnesota running game would flop without him. Even if Mattison isn't as good as Cook, he could be good enough to show that Cook isn't worth a lot more money to the Vikings.

What I linked was the NFLs proposal about opting out. Maybe the NFLPA gets some changes to this agreement.

If this is settled and the deadline for opting out is August 1st then we will know one way or another pretty soon.

Everson Griffen still hasnt signed with anyone yet and if Cook did opt out I imagine the Vikings would throw the money they have his way.

Regarding the opt-out I believe details of the latest proposal are going to be voted on later today so hopefully we know soon.

I don't think this will apply to Dalvin in the least, even if he is "technically" obese, but I do think we have a chance that that a few select high risk players might be allowed to opt out and still receive pay or an accrued season.  I was thinking mainly in terms of massive OL/DL as being main opt out candidates, if we have any opt-outs, but can't help but wonder a little about players like John Brown with the sickle cell trait.

But regarding Dalvin and any player trying to use opt-out as leverage I would just add the NFL as expected is aware this could be a loophole and they seek to close that hole. At best it might buy players a few days of "deciding".

So I'm the guy who brought up Dalvin being able to potentially use an opt-out as leverage a few weeks ago. The more details I am hearing and fact NFL seeks to close any leverage loophole leaves me thinking an opt-out threat won't help him at all.

ESPN's Courtney Cronin reports Dalvin Cook told coach Mike Zimmer that he will report to training camp on time.

Sucks for all the dummies taking Mattison in round 7 and 8 to steal him from the Cook owner.  I even seen 1 dude take him in round 6.

ESPN's Courtney Cronin reports Dalvin Cook told coach Mike Zimmer that he will report to training camp on time.

Sucks for all the dummies taking Mattison in round 7 and 8 to steal him from the Cook owner.  I even seen 1 dude take him in round 6.
What if he goes to camp to not be fined. Then decided not to play after camp? I wonder what the CBA rules are for that.

In general I think Mattison is a hold until the season starts and Cook plays. He went 10th round and 14th round in my two drafts.

7th, or 8th seems too expensive. I ready somewhere that odds of Cook injury is 55%. So his cuff has some value. 

Rotoworld take:

The new collective bargaining agreement makes it more difficult for players like Cook to actually hold out. Because his leverage was limited, Cook was always expected to report to training camp on time. Even though it would be against his best interest, Cook still could sit out right before the season, but for now it's expected that he will suit up for the season opener, especially because it's possible that Cook becomes the next Vikings star to sign a long-term contract during training camp. Cook is a borderline top-five pick in all formats with Alexander Mattison remaining one of fantasy's premier insurance options in the double-digit rounds.

RELATED: 

Alexander Mattison

SOURCE: Courtney Cronin on Twitter

Jul 25, 2020, 1:56 PM ET

Dalvin Cook: Agent denies talk Cook will report
Rotoworld:

Dalvin Cook's agent Zac Hiller refutes the report that his client will show up to training camp on time.

Earlier on Saturday, coach Mike Zimmer told reporters that Cook had spoken to him and that his star running back would be at training camp. That's apparently not true. It's unclear when and if Cook will show up to training camp, but there are a lot of financial reasons incentivizing Cook to show up to the first practice. For instance, to become an unrestricted free agent next season, he'll have to be there from the get go. Cook is still threatening an in-season hold out, as it's one of his few leverage plays. The Vikings have a history of signing their players to long-term deals during training camp, so it's still way more likely that Cook plays than sits Week 1. Alexander Mattison remains a high-upside insurance back regardless.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Jul 25, 2020, 8:09 PM ET

Do the hokey pokey and turn yourself around......

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports Dalvin Cook told his running backs coach that he will report to training camp.

Cook's RB coach relayed the message to coach Mike Zimmer, who then told reporters on Saturday that Cook would be at training camp. Shortly after, Cook's agent Zac Hiller refuted the report. Pelissero's most-recent report brings us back to square one with Cook expected to be at camp when veterans report on Tuesday. It's what was expected all along because of clauses in the collective bargaining agreement.

You put your right foot in you take your right foot out you put your right foot in And you shake it all about You do the hokey pokey And you turn yourself around That's what it's all about

Dalvin Cook's agent refuted a report that he was planning to report to training camp on time for the second time in three hours on Saturday evening. 

This time, Cook's rep was denying RBs coach Kennedy Polamalu hearsay passed along by an NFL Network reporter. “Dalvin and coach Polamalu speak often as they have a great relationship," Cook's rep began. "Dalvin has never mentioned to him anything in regards to reporting to camp. I’m not sure where the miscommunication is. I hope Dalvin plays a major role in the Vikings future success.” At this point, there is little left to do but sit back and wait for report No. 5. Vikings camp begins on Tuesday. We aren't any closer to knowing if Cook will be there. 

This is silly at this point. Let’s just see what happens when camp starts. Very likely he reports you’d think, no matter what nonsense is being reported every 30 minutes.

I guess Dalvin Cook has been named a team captain on offense for the Vikings this season.

I am guessing they would not name him that if they thought there was any possibility of Cook not showing up for games because of his contract.

A long term deal may still happen before the season starts based on how the Vikings have handled their top players in the past.

Dalvin Cook refuted the idea that he planned to holdout prior to training camp.

The initial report in early June stated Cook was hoping for a contract in the $13 to $15 million range, and would not participate until a new deal was agreed to. That has since been busted. In fact, Cook told reporters he will "1,000 percent" be in pads for the first day of real practice on Monday. To add fuel to the hype, Cook hopes to catch 75 passes this season, a significant jump from the 53 he secured in 2019. Cook should be locked in as a top six RB in fantasy drafts.

SOURCE: Courtney Cronin on Twitter

Aug 14, 2020, 2:29 PM ET

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports Vikings RB Dalvin Cook "broke off" contract talks with the team and will focus on preparing for Week 1. 

Cook will apparently ride out the final year of his rookie deal and resume contract talks with the Vikings after the season. To reach free agency, Cook must play at least six games this season, but he has explicitly said he's preparing for Week 1 and pushed back on reports that he planned to hold out in 2020. Alexander Mattison remains a high-upside insurance pick in the early double-digit rounds just in case Cook has a change of plans or if Cook's shoulder acts up again. For now, Cook belongs in the back half of the first round as a true bell cow back.

RELATED: 

Alexander Mattison

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter 

Aug 19, 2020, 1:31 PM ET

Cook broke off contract talks with the Vikings.  Is this a boost to his value?  He's going to be in a contract year now, playing for huge money.  Vikings also may run him into the ground ala Dallas with Murray, if they don't have him in their long term plans.

Cook broke off contract talks with the Vikings.  Is this a boost to his value?  He's going to be in a contract year now, playing for huge money.  Vikings also may run him into the ground ala Dallas with Murray, if they don't have him in their long term plans.
Yeah, I don't know. I would have preferred he sign with the Vikings where he's had a lot of success already. Backs who don't stay with their original team have uncertain results in their new uniforms.

For redraft it's a push for me. If I remember correctly, the contract year theory has been empirically debunked.

Yeah, I don't know. I would have preferred he sign with the Vikings where he's had a lot of success already. Backs who don't stay with their original team have uncertain results in their new uniforms.

For redraft it's a push for me. If I remember correctly, the contract year theory has been empirically debunked.
Ya I'm only talking redraft. 

I'm not sure if totally debunked.  Either way, I can see the Vikings running him into the ground if they don't see him in their future plans.  Are there any downsides to him not signing (redraft only).

At the very least I think its a (small) bump.

I'm not sure if totally debunked.  Either way, I can see the Vikings running him into the ground if they don't see him in their future plans.  Are there any downsides to him not signing (redraft only).
The only downside I could think, the possibility of holding out. He has said he's playing though.

For what it's worth, one of the beat reporters said yesterday or today Mattison is taking most of the first team reps. I personally don't care about that at all.

As a Cook owner, I think he’s smart. This is a bad year to hold out. And the fact he’s going for week 1 is better that Gordon/Bell type scenario. I don’t think it changes his usage or performance much. He needs the stats to make bank and they will use him as they would have either way. I doubt they want him hurt for their playoffs. If he was a Jaguar then maybe they would “run him into the ground”. Truth is he’s a key cog in whatever they are planning. And Cook needs that. 

So yeah, my first real money draft is tomorrow and I have the 6th pick and today's news........has me a little nervous.

Anyone else concerned he might just play his 6 requisite games to accrue the year towards free agency and then be much less willing to play through any injuries he gets the rest of this year?

Am I overthinking this?  How early would you guys reach to make sure you get Mattison in a 12 team full ppr?

I think we are about to see some Hold Ins.  I don't know if Dalvin will eventually do that, but some players probably will.  Melvin Ingram appears to be the most obvious example I am aware of. 

Surprised there isn't more chatter here. 

Cook seems locked into the #5 pick by most experts (with CMC, Barkley, Zeke, Kamara going 1-4), but his situation seems to present some risk.

Sure he wants to put up the stats in a contract year, but on the flip side, most GMs know this guy's value if he's healthy.

And Scheffter, who knows some things, recently said he wouldn't draft Cook.

I have the #5 pick and thought Cook was a slam dunk there. Now considering D. Henry and the hype machine's CEL.

Cook seems locked into the #5 pick by most experts (with CMC, Barkley, Zeke, Kamara going 1-4), but his situation seems to present some risk.

Sure he wants to put up the stats in a contract year, but on the flip side, most GMs know this guy's value if he's healthy.

I have the #5 pick and thought Cook was a slam dunk there. Now considering D. Henry and the hype machine's CEL.
Before that nugget there wasn't much to talk about, but...that sure got my attention. I haven't moved Cook much yet, but I slide Mattison (and Boone) up.

So I did a quick search and what I see is Matthew Berry talking about Scheffter recently tweeting  talking about if Cook doesn't get a new contract before the start of the season it would give him pause drafting him at ADP. 

He does not say he wouldn't draft Cook at all as stated by kyoun1e

Then a bunch of fantasy pundits talking about it.

As far as I can tell its not news,

Edit to add that Schefter didn't even tweet this information out like he does when reporting something. He just mentioned it on some podcast or something then Berry makes a big deal out of it.

The distinction here is that Schefter is not putting his professional reputation on the line with this statement.

I honestly don't take fantasy advice from Schefter. The injury concern is the bigger issue to me.

I have the 5th pick and assume I'm looking at Cook, Thomas or Helaire. It's a tough decision.  

I'm been flippin' and a floppin' between Cook and Kamara at #4 non-ppr - both with slight injury questions, but the Vikings offence runs through Cook and he will have something to prove.

I'm been flippin' and a floppin' between Cook and Kamara at #4 non-ppr - both with slight injury questions, but the Vikings offence runs through Cook and he will have something to prove.
Nothing against you, GB, but I think this is the biggest cliche in our game. It works in other sports (golf, tennis, basketball), but not football.  There's just too many other variables at play on a field with 21 other people.

I was just listening to Bloom on the ride home and he is reporting it the same way. That Schefter said he would not draft Cook at all.

But as far as I can tell that isn't what Schefter said.

I also have the #4 in my main draft and have flipped between Henry/Kamara/Cook/Thomas/CEH...I think it's the most difficult spot to draft from.

I don't think much of the contract/Schefty stuff but I am just worried about his extensive injury history. He was great last year but once again missed more time. 

I don't think much of the contract/Schefty stuff but I am just worried about his extensive injury history. He was great last year but once again missed more time.
There was a league I played in last year where I had him and he carried me. Once he was gone, I made the semis but it was over. He just couldn't go with that shoulder injury. It'll blow up your team potentially if you take him fourth. I probably wouldn't, especially with the contract and everything.

I also have the #4 in my main draft and have flipped between Henry/Kamara/Cook/Thomas/CEH...I think it's the most difficult spot to draft from.
CEH is high risk, but not higher reward than Cook. Washington and Darrell can also catch, and block better.  I guess he's risen because of Damien opting out. I would also consider Mahomes. 

CEH is high risk, but not higher reward than Cook. Washington and Darrell can also catch, and block better.  I guess he's risen because of Damien opting out. I would also consider Mahomes. 
I would disagree on CEH...he may have the highest ceiling of them all.

I would disagree on CEH...he may have the highest ceiling of them all.
Cook was the #2 rb behind CC, until he got hurt with 3 games left in the season. That's the risk with him. No preseason with CEH would make it risky for me. At 4 you have a lot of good choices. 

Cook was the #2 rb behind CC, until he got hurt with 3 games left in the season. That's the risk with him. No preseason with CEH would make it risky for me. At 4 you have a lot of good choices. 
Coming around to Cook at #5...assuming I grab A. Mattison later. 

May cost you an 8th round pick in a 12 team league, but it's probably worth it. You have a run first offense here and Mattison can probably come close to what Cook produces. 

This also assumes that there will be no Mike Boone shenanigans.

May cost you an 8th round pick in a 12 team league, but it's probably worth it. You have a run first offense here and Mattison can probably come close to what Cook produces. 

Great point. Mattison is one of the better backups. With CEH, is the backup Williams or Wasington or committee? Or even a veteran like D Freeman.

Alexander Mattison Mic'd Up at Training Camp

For fun.

Just my personal impression from listening to Cooks interview a week or so back and other things from him. I do not think he intends to not play at all and that Schefter has take lock from what his agent told him back in June.

Users who are viewing this thread