Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

QB Dak Prescott, DAL

This is a textbook Cowboys leak.  "He turned down $30MM" with no mention of the guaranteed money, and a suggestion that the player is asking for far more than reasonable market value.  Its a hacky negotiation technique to apply pressure from the public.  Really wish they wouldn't do that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Da Guru said:

Are teams going to start rolling the dice and let QBs walk and take chances drafting a QB and hoping to win something in 4 years on a reasonable rookie deal?  

As long as the salary cap continues to rise, no. 

however it seems these contracts are far outpacing the cap increases. eventually that bubble is going to pop

Dak last 3 years averaged: 226 passing, 1.04 TD, .52 INT, 66% completion % with a 96 passer rating. He ran for an average of 20.7 yards per game and .5 TD. 

What do we see in those numbers that screams $30m (much less $40m) contract?

He is basically Alex Smith from 2015-2017

Edited by HULLOBUDMAN

3 minutes ago, HULLOBUDMAN said:

Dak last 3 years averaged: 226 passing, 1.04 TD, .52 INT, 66% completion % with a 96 passer rating. He ran for an average of 20.7 yards per game and .5 TD. 

What do we see in those numbers that screams $30m (much less $40m) contract?

He is basically Alex Smith from 2015-2017

Because if every single qb got  a new deal right now, at least 10 would be over 40MM and 30ish would be middle of the road.

3 hours ago, Tool said:

Is that true? What #s are you looking at? And compared to who?

Well, higher yards per attempt, better completion %, and less int's than Wentz.  Also 18 rushing TD's compared to 2.

I also fully understand that Wentz has a higher ceiling, and I think is better passer overall......but, he's been hurt and hasn't always played like an MVP candidate....Daks numbers are pretty comparable when you figure in the rushing stats.

Edited by Manster

7 hours ago, BradtheAg said:

This is a textbook Cowboys leak.  "He turned down $30MM" with no mention of the guaranteed money, and a suggestion that the player is asking for far more than reasonable market value.  Its a hacky negotiation technique to apply pressure from the public.  Really wish they wouldn't do that.

This.

Middling team negotiating with a middling quarterback shouldn't even be a story...oh well, I guess it keeps the media frenzy off of Zeke's Leveon Bell drama.

In my league, he was the 10th ranked QB last year, just 13 points away from the 5th ranked QB.  He had 28 total TD (with 6 being rushing TDs which are often worth extra), over 4200 total yards (300+ rushing - worth more), and just 8 INTs.  He didnt have a legit NFL WR1 on the roster until halfway through the season.  He is 26.

I cannot inspire one bit of interest from anyone in my league (start 1 QB) to trade for him, including one team with Stafford/Mariotta, and another with Darnold/Flacco.  I am not asking for much - a 2020 2nd.  I dont even get counters or discussions, which I would consider since he is my QB3 and I could use the roster spot.  Maybe the most underrated QB in fantasy.  Consistently puts up top 10ish numbers, gets zero love.

Edited by ChuckLiddell

4 minutes ago, ChuckLiddell said:

In my league, he was the 10th ranked QB last year, just 13 points away from the 5th ranked QB.  He had 28 total TD (with 6 being rushing TDs which are often worth extra), over 4200 total yards (300+ rushing - worth more), and just 8 INTs.  He didnt have a legit NFL WR1 on the roster until halfway through the season.  He is 26.

I cannot inspire one bit of interest from anyone in my league (start 1 QB) to trade for him, including one team with Stafford/Mariotta, and another with Darnold/Flacco.  I am not asking for much - a 2020 2nd.  I dont even get counters or discussions, which I would consider since he is my QB3 and I could use the roster spot.  Maybe the most underrated QB in fantasy.  Consistently puts up top 10ish numbers, gets zero love.

I love him in fantasy.

Not impressed in real life.

I think your experience is a result of just how many QBs there are today that are able to put up startable fantasy numbers on a week by week basis.  Probably find a couple on waivers any given week.

Edited by matuski
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ChuckLiddell said:

I believe I traded for Dak of Chicago D and a late 2020 2nd for Dak and a 2020 3rd. 

Then a few months later flipped Dak, Preson Williams, 2021 1, 2021 3rd for Kyler Murray, 2020 3rd, Ollison. Hi gh risk/reward there, but Dak was my qb2

For me, the issue is Zeke. Dak did not do well without Zeke and he may he without him for some of this season.

He just doesnt wow people, so naturally that value wont be perceived. Can he throw for 30 TD? I'm doubtful of that in the current offense 

17 minutes ago, Dr. Dan said:

I believe I traded for Dak of Chicago D and a late 2020 2nd for Dak and a 2020 3rd. 

Then a few months later flipped Dak, Preson Williams, 2021 1, 2021 3rd for Kyler Murray, 2020 3rd, Ollison. Hi gh risk/reward there, but Dak was my qb2

For me, the issue is Zeke. Dak did not do well without Zeke and he may he without him for some of this season.

He just doesnt wow people, so naturally that value wont be perceived. Can he throw for 30 TD? I'm doubtful of that in the current offense 

Maybe he wont throw for 30, but he can definitely throw for 25 and run for 5 more.  He had 28 total last year and only had Cooper for half of the season.  Allen Hurns and Michael Gallup was all he had.  Gets back Witten this season, which should add a few TDs, and had Coop for a whole year.  30 total seems very reachable.

59 minutes ago, ChuckLiddell said:

Maybe he wont throw for 30, but he can definitely throw for 25 and run for 5 more.  He had 28 total last year and only had Cooper for half of the season.  Allen Hurns and Michael Gallup was all he had.  Gets back Witten this season, which should add a few TDs, and had Coop for a whole year.  30 total seems very reachable.

I dont think it's a personelle issue though. I admit I'm concerned due to Zeke possibly being out, but that's because he didnt play well without that threat in the past. 

I think it's a gameplan issue as well as his own limitations as a passer. 

I dont dislike Dak, I just think his ceiling might be in the 8-14 range. Which is great if you have a guy like Stafford and Mariota. You said so yourself that Dak was only 13 points away from 5th (which is wild, in my leagues ue was about 55-80 points from 5th). I'll take your word for it. But I'll also say, who is 13 points behind him? 

It it worth that 2020 2nd to upgrade a few measley points? 

ETA: I would argue Kirk Cousins is the most underrated QB in fantasy. 4 finishes in the top 10 the last 4 seasons, and I believe 2 of those finishes were 5th. Yet hes ranked in the 13-16 range consistently

Edited by Dr. Dan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Dan said:

I dont think it's a personelle issue though. I admit I'm concerned due to Zeke possibly being out, but that's because he didnt play well without that threat in the past. 

I think it's a gameplan issue as well as his own limitations as a passer. 

I dont dislike Dak, I just think his ceiling might be in the 8-14 range. Which is great if you have a guy like Stafford and Mariota. You said so yourself that Dak was only 13 points away from 5th (which is wild, in my leagues ue was about 55-80 points from 5th). I'll take your word for it. But I'll also say, who is 13 points behind him? 

It it worth that 2020 2nd to upgrade a few measley points? 

ETA: I would argue Kirk Cousins is the most underrated QB in fantasy. 4 finishes in the top 10 the last 4 seasons, and I believe 2 of those finishes were 5th. Yet hes ranked in the 13-16 range consistently

In my league, Dak (10th)  had 215 points and Cousins (16th) had 180.  Average per game was 13.47 for Dak, 11.27 for Cousins.  We have bonuses for QBs for yardage over 300 yards, 5 points for a passing TD and 6 for a rushing.  Rushing yards are 3X more valuable than passing yards.

Andrew Luck was 5th at 228, 14.26 per game.  Dak averaged less than 1 point under what Luck averaged.  In my league, Dak is well worth a 2 in my opinion.  

ETA - In my league he has finished 5, 5, 10 in his 3 seasons.  Thats actually bordering on elite from a fantasy perspective.

Edited by ChuckLiddell
  • Thinking 1

Jon Machota @jonmachota

Dak Prescott’s preseason totals: 11 of 14 passing, 109 yards, 1 TD, no INTs, 122.9 passer rating.

4 series: FG, TD, 3-&-out, TD.

Dak: “I feel great...I feel the best that I’ve ever felt, from every aspect of the quarterback position, going into Week 1.”

• 2 weeks later...

According to David Moore of the Dallas Morning News, contract negotiations between Dak Prescott and the Cowboys are ongoing, though it's unclear if a deal will be reached ahead of Sunday's 4:25 PM ET kickoff against the Giants.

After locking up workhorse running back Ezekiel Elliott earlier this week, the Cowboys have turned their attention to franchise quarterback Dak Prescott. The 2016 Rookie of the Year turned down the Cowboys' initial offer of $30 million annually, which would have been slightly less than recent deals given to Carson Wentz and Jared Goff. Per ESPN's Adam Schefter, Prescott is in "no rush" to sign, owing to the $50 million he already makes in endorsements and multiple insurance policies protecting him from a career-threatening injury. Headed for free agency, Prescott could be a candidate for the franchise tag if the two sides aren't able to find a deal that works for both sides.

SOURCE: David Moore on Twitter

Sep 8, 2019, 9:36 AM ET

3 minutes ago, matuski said:

Forget the stats, I saw Dak play legit QB with his arm today.. good stuff.  He looked in control.

Been a bit of a  roller coaster with Dak but agree he looked sharp and in control today. Giants are a hot mess but still great to see. Think it really helps having legit receiving weapons. Cobb is gonna be a boon for this offense. 

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Cowboys have reached an "impasse" in extension talks with Dak Prescott.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said a new deal for Prescott was "imminent" last week, though apparently that's not the case as contract talks have stalled between the two sides with a resolution not expected in the "foreseeable future." Per Rapoport, the holdup may have to do with Prescott's desire for a short-team deal that would allow him to cash in "sooner." For his part, Prescott was brilliant against the Giants in Week 1, slinging 405 yards and four touchdowns in his first game under OC Kellen Moore.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Sep 15, 2019, 11:06 AM ET

Dak Prescott completed 26-of-30 passes for 269 yards, three touchdowns, and one interception, adding a very nice 69 yards on five carries in Dallas' 31-21 Week 2 win over Washington.

Prescott's Week 2 outing makes him 51-of-62 (82.5 percent) for 674 yards and seven scores in his first two starts under new OC Kellen Moore. Prescott started a worrisome 4-of-7 for 19 yards and a pick out the gates but didn't throw a single incompletion in the second half, hitting a total of eight receivers in all. Even in starting slow, Prescott's five carries were a nod to the numerous ways he adds fantasy value in Dallas' new and improved offensive scheme. He's easily been one of fantasy's most valuable players through two weeks, and that shouldn't change against the Dolphins' rebuilding defense in Week 3.

Sep 15, 2019, 4:25 PM ET

• Like 1

Key takeaways and stats to know from Week 2

Excerpt:

DAK PRESCOTT IS THRIVING IN KELLEN MOORE’S OFFENSE

Former NFL quarterback Kellen Moore has been given the keys to the Cowboys’ offense and has had free rein to make this offense, his offense. It’s so far, so good for Moore, as Dak Prescott has been the NFL’s highest-graded quarterback through Week 2.

In the first two weeks, Dallas has ramped up their usage of play-action to the highest in the league, at 43.1% (25% in 2018). Prescott has been sharp out of play-action generating 12.3 yards per attempt, a 96.3% adjusted completion percentage and a 157.6 passer rating.

The Cowboys have also used 11 personnel (1 RB, 1 TE, 3 WR) on 73.2% of their offensive snaps, and Prescott has been elite once again in this package. When passing out of 11 personnel, Prescott has been the second highest-graded quarterback and has thrown three big-time throws to zero turnover-worthy plays.

Kellen Moore has also taken a page out Andy Reid’s playbook in having the fifth-highest rate of run-pass options (RPOs). These plays are an extension of the run game and generate more yards per play on average than a designed run. With that said, no quarterback has pulled on an RPO and opted to pass more than Dak this season, and he has been highly effective when doing so, completing 100% of his passes, at 9.9 yards per attempt and a 108.0 passer rating.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2019 at 5:30 PM, Faust said:

Great info here. Dak doesn't garner much respect but he's proving he can deliver elite numbers in this system. 

I think PART of the reason people aren't fond of him is that he's a Dallas qb and stirred up a bunch of media hype out the gate. Same thing happened with Romo. I rode him to a lot of fantasy wins too. 

Dak Prescott completed 22-of-33 passes for 223 yards and an interception in Week 4 against the Saints.

This was a checkdown heavy game from Prescott, who completed seven of his passes to tight ends. The Cowboys struggled to sustain drives, with their only touchdown coming on a one-yard Ezekiel Elliott run. Prescott's interception came on a Hail Mary on the final play. It's the first bad game from Prescott, who came into Week 4 with a 9:1 TD/INT ratio. Prescott has another tough matchup with the Packers secondary in Week 5.

Sep 29, 2019, 11:27 PM ET

Dak Prescott completed 27-of-44 passes for 463 yards with two touchdowns and three interceptions while adding four carries for an additional 27 yards Sunday in the Cowboys’ Week 5 loss to the Packers.

He was brought down for three sacks, resulting in a loss of 22 yards. Dak's huge counting stats were largely fueled by garbage time as 329 of his 463 occurred after the break. The first interception Prescott threw wasn't his fault as Amari Cooper dropped a ball right into the waiting hands of stud cornerback Jaire Alexander. The others were the result of either heavy pressure, a miscommunication between the quarterback and receiver, a lack of precision, or some combination of the three. It wasn't the prettiest 463 yards you'll ever see, though in fairness, Prescott played without both of his starting tackles (La'El Collins suffered an in-game injury while Tyron Smith was out with a high-ankle sprain) and also had a difficult matchup against a highly underrated Packers defense. Dak and the Cowboys will look to halt their two-game losing streak next week against the Jets, who have so far been a pushover to opposing quarterbacks.

Oct 6, 2019, 8:12 PM ET

Dak Prescott completed 28-of-40 passes for 277 yards, adding 11 yards and a touchdown on the ground in Dallas' brutal Week 6 loss to the Jets.

It was a fine line given the circumstances; Tyron Smith (ankle) and La'el Collins (knee) were held out well before Amari Cooper (quad) exited in the first quarter. Dallas' offense made a valiant effort in storming back from a 21-9 fourth-quarter deficit and cutting the lead to 24-22 on the back of Dak's four-yard touchdown scramble with 43 seconds remaining, but all hope was lost once his pass on the ensuing two-point try fell short in the face of a blitzing Jamal Adams. Prescott also missed out on two touchdown tosses as Jason Witten's was negated for OPI and Ezekiel Elliott (28/105/1) dropped a would-be red zone score. It doesn't get any easier from here as the Cowboys are projected with the league's toughest schedule from Weeks 7 - 16 and could be without Cooper for the foreseeable future. Prescott will still be ranked as a QB1 against Philly's defense in Week 7.

Edited by The Frankman

Dak Prescott completed 21-of-27 passes for 239 yards with a touchdown and an interception in the Cowboys' Week 7 win over the Eagles.

He added 30 rushing yards and scored on an eight-yard scramble. Prescott was accurate in this one, completing 78 percent of his passes. He hit Amari Cooper for a 44-yard gain in the first half, but most of his throws came on checkdowns. Prescott had been in a slump, with just two passing touchdowns over his last three games. He’ll have a must-start matchup with the Giants after the Cowboys’ Week 8 bye.

Oct 20, 2019, 11:26 PM ET

Brad Kelly @BradKelly17

Dak Prescott’s last 16 games (since the Amari Cooper trade)

396 / 558 (70.9% completion) 

4,590 yards (287 yards per game)

26 touchdowns 

11 interceptions

7 rushing touchdowns

#DallasCowboys  are 11-5 in those games.

Pay the man.

Cowboys EVP Stephen Jones confirmed they are seeking a team-friendly deal with Dak Prescott.

"In my mind, he’s flawless," Jones said on 105.3 The Fan. "The only thing we need him to do is work with us a little. But the reason we’re having a negotiation is to talk him into all the reasons why it’s good to have a supporting cast around him. What we’re trying to do is keep this football team together. Other than that, this negotiation would have been over months ago." The Cowboys haven't made much progress on Prescott's extension, but there's no doubt a deal will eventually get done. The sides have the Week 8 bye to try and work something out.

SOURCE: ProFootballTalk on NBCSports

Oct 25, 2019, 7:03 PM ET

• 2 weeks later...

Dak Prescott completed 22-of-35 passes for 257 yards, three touchdowns, and one interception in the Cowboys' 37-18, Week 9 win over the Giants Monday night.

It was a nice rebound game out of the bye week. Things didn't start well for Prescott, as he tossed an interception from his own 12-yard line to S Antoine Bethea on the first offensive play of the game. The Cowboys also settled for some early field goals before Prescott hooked up with Blake Jarwin (42 yards), Michael Gallup (15 yards), and Amari Cooper (45 yards) scored lengthy touchdowns. Jarwin and Cooper were both left virtually wide open. Prescott had one or zero touchdown passes in three of his previous four games. The Cowboys host the Vikings in Week 10.

Nov 4, 2019, 11:41 PM ET

It's going to get really interesting if he ends up having a sub-par to mediocre 2nd half of the season and/or the Cowboys don't make the playoffs. If that happens, I don't see Jerruh paying him anywhere near $40M/year. The crazy thing is some other owner probably will, though.

• Joe Bryant changed the title to QB Dak Prescott, DAL