What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Skiing Thread*** (2 Viewers)

Nice tommyboy, Mount Hood always up to no good.

Sierras getting hit again.  Little break come Friday, then slammed again on Saturday, the hits just keep on comin.  Mammoth with 200 inches and counting.  For the month.  Biggest February in history, going back 50 years ('69).  Most snow in the nation right now, is what they're saying.  That's gotta be lower 48.  Or are even Alaska resorts included in that claim??

Happy 4th of July, skiing!

Rodrigo Duterte said:
Nice tommyboy, Mount Hood always up to no good.

Sierras getting hit again.  Little break come Friday, then slammed again on Saturday, the hits just keep on comin.  Mammoth with 200 inches and counting.  For the month.  Biggest February in history, going back 50 years ('69).  Most snow in the nation right now, is what they're saying.  That's gotta be lower 48.  Or are even Alaska resorts included in that claim??

Happy 4th of July, skiing!
Woot woot!  Looks like I timed this next trip perfectly!   Driving up to mammoth on Sunday, leaving Friday!

Just did the night skiing deal again, this time with my 9 yr old daughter. She's never night skied before. She had a blast and took her first real yard sale. Lucky for us it was another epic powder night up there and it's still dumping. Tomorrow there will be a 3hr line of traffic to get up there as for sure some idiot will crash and jam the highway while everyone stacks up behind the wreck. The roads will be a joke tomorrow so I'm going to wait till Sunday which is a bluebird day. 

Unfortunately we're supposed to hit a dry spell for a week or two. Man I can't complain too much this has been an epic winter

just got back from a week in mammoth.   2 plus feet while we were there.  great skiing!  21 days in the books!

Speaking of equipment in the Summer.  I was thinking about getting custom fitted boats.  Does anyone have them and if so any recommendations.  

Speaking of equipment in the Summer.  I was thinking about getting custom fitted boats.  Does anyone have them and if so any recommendations.  
what bucky said.  i test drove 3 pairs, then had the one i picked, molded to my feet.  over the next 2 seasons, i had the guys, tweak this, tweak that.  last season, season 3, they were perfect.  make sure the best boot fitter is there in the summer.  my guy goes rafting.

Looks like heading to Telluride in February for a week.  This will be the first time I bring my kids out West for a ski trip.  A bit of a trek to get there but have always wanted to ski there so super excited.    

Went to Austria last month for vacation and stayed in Innsbruck.  9 ski areas supported by 1 very big ski town.  Unfortunately, it was June so no snow but my wife and I have already decided a trip there is going to be my son's high school graduation present (10 years away still).  That's the dream for me now.

Definitely going to Breckenridge next February. Just booked a place.
When in Feb?  I generally stay away from Breck as it's not my favorite mountain in the area but I do try to go once or twice a year.  If I'm there, I'll buy the first beer.

Redwes25 said:
Looks like heading to Telluride in February for a week.  This will be the first time I bring my kids out West for a ski trip.  A bit of a trek to get there but have always wanted to ski there so super excited.    
Awesome!  It’s on my list. Skied everything in CO except aspen, telluride and steamboat. 

I would ski peaks 7 and 10...fewer people
Yeah.  My problem (and this may just be imagined) but the mountains all seem much shorter from top to bottom.  To get a good run in, you can't really stop at midmountain and take a chair back to the top.  You have to go all the way to the bottom and deal with the slower lines down there.

Redwes25 said:
Unless you have chet money, you're looking at 4-5 hours drive from Albuquerque and 6 from Denver. If they have the snow, which they apparently did last year, it's as good as it gets. By far my favorite ski town and an all-world mountain.

ETA: Breck the town is cool. Not a fan of the skiing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless you have chet money, you're looking at 4-5 hours drive from Albuquerque and 6 from Denver. If they have the snow, which they apparently did last year, it's as good as it gets. By far my favorite ski town and an all-world mountain.

Flying into Montrose and about a two hour drive from there.  Luckily they have direct flights from NYC to Montrose.  I think the snow risk is probably similar to other Colorado resorts and going in Mid-February will lessen the risk.  I have never understood the Christmas ski trip as you do face that risk and you need to plan these trips so far in advance.  

ETA - I also have heard the journey keeps the crowd down a bit as folks don't like the long travel time.  

I was checking prices for a winter ski vacation, and it looks like it's cheaper to fly/stay/ski in northern Italy (Dolomites) than to go to Vail. Anyone ever skied in Northern Italy before?

I was checking prices for a winter ski vacation, and it looks like it's cheaper to fly/stay/ski in northern Italy (Dolomites) than to go to Vail. Anyone ever skied in Northern Italy before?
I have a hard time believing that. Flights into Denver are dirt cheap. I booked two days out in February and it was under $200 RT from DC. Italy will run you at least $1k. And you don't have to ski Vail. Arapahoe Basin and Crested Butte are cheaper and outstanding mountains. Both have deals that can be found at Costco or other retailers, as well. And lodging is cheaper than Vail, as well. Additionally, the Epic Pass is available in different tiers this winter. I forget exactly how it's broken up, but it's a big difference. I'd look into that.

Redwes25 said:
I went for the first time last season. Awesome terrain, but they need a lot of snow to allow all the steps to open.

Fly into Montrose and it’s not bad.

ETA I see someone already suggested this. It’s a nice little airport and close to Crested Butte, too.

Has anyone here done a ski trip to the Alps?  Am planning a trip to Switzerland in April and thought a couple days in the alps would be fun. Does anyone have any suggestions on resorts or mountains in the area?  

Has anyone here done a ski trip to the Alps?  Am planning a trip to Switzerland in April and thought a couple days in the alps would be fun. Does anyone have any suggestions on resorts or mountains in the area?  
ikon pass just added zermatt.  i've never been, but it's a big time dream for me.  have fun!  and report back!

I've never been either, but based on what I've heard from friends and reputation, I'd look at Chamonix or Zermatt.

I've never been either, but based on what I've heard from friends and reputation, I'd look at Chamonix or Zermatt.
Zermatt seems to be a popular choice from what I’ve read. I’m pretty excited, didn’t think the GF would green light two days of skiing on our European vacation. 

Thinking about getting the local Epic pass. Even as somebody who has to fly to get anywhere I'll use it for $739 is a steal. Did anybody have it last year?

Thinking about getting the local Epic pass. Even as somebody who has to fly to get anywhere I'll use it for $739 is a steal. Did anybody have it last year?
I have the regular one. If you plan on skiing more than 5/6 days a season at a major ski resort, it's a deal. Buying lift tickets online, a pass for 5 of 8 days is $730 at Vail, for example. I guess you can check the prices/discounts for the resort(s) you plan on visiting and compare.

I have the regular one. If you plan on skiing more than 5/6 days a season at a major ski resort, it's a deal. Buying lift tickets online, a pass for 5 of 8 days is $730 at Vail, for example. I guess you can check the prices/discounts for the resort(s) you plan on visiting and compare.
The price went down this year, didn't it? I remember a ticket at the window at Vail was like $195.

Dunno, I've had an Epic pass for the last decade. Buying at the window is a rip-off regardless.
I've always had buddy passes for Vail, but I was kind of shocked to see that price.

My only reservation about getting the pass is that A Basin is my favorite spot and the most convenient.

I've always had buddy passes for Vail, but I was kind of shocked to see that price.

My only reservation about getting the pass is that A Basin is my favorite spot and the most convenient.
A Basin is really good and convenient, but the back bowls at Vail are hard to beat IMO. Also, the Epic pass gives you a good excuse to travel to one of the few places which may be better than Vail: Whistler. Other than Park City, I can take or leave the rest of the included resorts (though Telluride was great last season).

Lastly, if you're flying to CO anyway, the distance from the Eagle Vail airport is closer to Vail/Beaver Creek than DIA is to A Basin.

A Basin is really good and convenient, but the back bowls at Vail are hard to beat IMO. Also, the Epic pass gives you a good excuse to travel to one of the few places which may be better than Vail: Whistler. Other than Park City, I can take or leave the rest of the included resorts (though Telluride was great last season).

Lastly, if you're flying to CO anyway, the distance from the Eagle Vail airport is closer to Vail/Beaver Creek than DIA is to A Basin.
True (I used to live about a mile from the Eagle airport), but flights and car rentals tend to be significantly cheaper into Denver. Especially, with non-stop Frontier flights. Plus, I stop and see friends in Denver.

I skied Telluride a good bit in the '90s. Have not been since they put lifts on Gold Hill and beyond. It looks insane.

Funny to see this thread again on page one.

It's October and just in the last week or so I've been getting back into skiing mode. Golf season is over for me, I mean I could still play but I lose interest this time of year. My thoughts turn to football then skiing.

I started watching ski videos again last week. Here's one for example: https://youtu.be/UYmcm5bKvxk. Starts out slow, but wait for it. Mind blown.

Here's another, one of my favorites: https://youtu.be/EMVPpPE_Bx4.

I'm a sucker for these videos and most ski movies. Even though I'll never do most of what these guys can do, a lot of it I can, so you can relate just enough.

In past years I had some plans to travel to ski and I've been to Canada several times and Utah over the last several years. No plans this year. I need to get in the gym and get my legs strong and get in shape. I can't ski out of shape, it doesn't work and you risk injury. 

Stupid local mountain changed their season pass purchase online, you can't buy one. You have to buy some other pass then buy "add one". Listen mountain people, if you're going to charge thousands of dollars for a guy to buy season passes for his family, make it as easy as possible for that guy. That's a retail lesson you need to learn.

I'm just freeballing at this point but I am starting to get really excited about the ski season. Should be a cold, snowy year.

True (I used to live about a mile from the Eagle airport), but flights and car rentals tend to be significantly cheaper into Denver. Especially, with non-stop Frontier flights. Plus, I stop and see friends in Denver.

I skied Telluride a good bit in the '90s. Have not been since they put lifts on Gold Hill and beyond. It looks insane.
Yeah, my wife freaks out a bit flying into smaller airports, but I hate dealing with I-70 traffic. We have friends in Arvada and Boulder, too, so we've only used Eagle-Vail once, but it was nice.

The steeps at Telluride rival any resort I've skied. It's reminds me a lot of Jackson Hole.

i do the ikon pass.  the mountains it has, are better for me.  one trip to deer valley on new years, pays for it.  i love having the pass and get around 30 days a year.  totally worth it.  A basin and copper are on the ikon pass.

and they added zermatt this year, to the dude asking about the alps upthread.

The sucky thing too is we moved back to SoCal from Colorado and the only place I like skiing here is Mammoth WHICH IS ON IKON. :rant:  
i might be able to hook you up with buddy passes.  

and people do use other peoples passes.  a buddy of mine did some trade with his ikon pass.  worked out well

I might hit you up on that. We tentatively might do a little getaway in December as long as everything stays healthy with the baby.

How does the trade thing work? Obviously it's our pics on the passes. I guess its hard to tell with goggles and helmets...
Don't try it, doesn't matter what you're wearing.  They know how to figure out if you're using someone else's pass, they use tablets now.  No idea how the trade thing works though.

I might hit you up on that. We tentatively might do a little getaway in December as long as everything stays healthy with the baby.

How does the trade thing work? Obviously it's our pics on the passes. I guess its hard to tell with goggles and helmets...
let me know.

yea, he just lets him take his pass.  the risk is losing it.  

Don't try it, doesn't matter what you're wearing.  They know how to figure out if you're using someone else's pass, they use tablets now.  No idea how the trade thing works though.
they don't go at the same time.  they look vaguely alike.   the guy went nearly every weekend on the other guys pass.  trade was a few grand worth of work. :shrug:   i'd be too chicken to lose my pass.

Users who are viewing this thread