What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alone ( A real survival type show) (1 Viewer)

I'm not a hunter, so it's been an adjustment seeing these people trap and process their game- but I thought I'd gotten immune to it.

but I gotta say... seeing that musk-ox suffer over hours- set me back.
We fast forwarded through it. I can’t watch that. 

Except for the top were his holy tarp goes flat 2' across.  I am sure no water is going to collect up there and drip on him next time it rains.  Not sure why he didn't put in a ridge beam and drape the tarp over that.
:goodposting:

it still looks pretty cool

Started watching this a couple weeks ago, almost through with S3. Haven’t seen it mentioned in this thread or the show but maybe someone knows:  are waders allowed to be part of the clothing they bring?  Seems that as often as they have to go into water to retrieve fish, check/set nets, etc that a pair of insulated waders would be a staple for everyone...

Roland is totally insane. He’s going to stay out there for 500 days just for fun. 
That cache he built for the meat was unreal.  Never seen that type of design before.   He knows how important it is to keep that meat he has.

This was a really good article on Roland as well as some info on the other contestants.

That cache he built for the meat was unreal.  Never seen that type of design before.   He knows how important it is to keep that meat he has.

This was a really good article on Roland as well as some info on the other contestants.
Thank god for the others that they aren’t competing against him. There is literally no way he’s going home, short of broken leg or poisonous bite. 

Roland is gonna be the first contestant to be medevac’d out for gaining weight. 

“Jesus Christ Roland your cholesterol is out of control” 
needs to make sure hes eating those crowberries.  peeps on these shows that look like they are living it up on meat wind up tapping out due to constipation

good read thanks

Started watching this a couple weeks ago, almost through with S3. Haven’t seen it mentioned in this thread or the show but maybe someone knows:  are waders allowed to be part of the clothing they bring?  Seems that as often as they have to go into water to retrieve fish, check/set nets, etc that a pair of insulated waders would be a staple for everyone...
The history channel has a list on their website of what's allowed. 

Roland is gonna be the first contestant to be medevac’d out for gaining weight. 

“Jesus Christ Roland your cholesterol is out of control” 
He had hundreds of lbs of Moose meat and he also had a ton of rabbits but was losing weight.  

Little known fact, people (many early explorers who didn't want to pack stores of food but would hunt game starved by only eating rabbits or other lean meats.

How To Starve To Death While Stuffing Yourself With Rabbit Meat

...(rabbits) are an effective source of nutrition. However, one must be careful when eating rabbit, as eating nothing but rabbit can actually kill you. It’s called rabbit starvation, and it’s one of the more paradoxical things out there.

...This becomes especially important when the subject is in a particularly hostile environment, like the Arctic explorers. Without any fat in their diets to break down into energy, which can be converted into heat, their bodies burned away their own fat stores quickly in an attempt to keep their bodies warm. This is normally something that is done to help the individual seek out more food and is not a long-term survival solution. They likely weren’t even aware of their lack of fats (outside of feelings of hunger and cravings) until it was too late...

Definitely a karma episode.. Let a fox go, get a rabbit and fish.. Let a weasel wander around, get 4 rabbits... Let a wolverine eat your fish, and then decide to ration what you Have left = :bye:  

rick6668 said:

That cache was unbelievable. I am in awe. 

I don’t understand how you can go home saying that your body is so weak if you have four days left of fish to eat? Easy for me to say sitting on my couch, but I just don’t get it. Eat 4 days worth of fish in two days and see how you feel then.

Wow.. Sitting there thinking "wtf.. You have Fish and an ox and you are tapping?"  only to learn he had a parasite that untreated could have killed in a few weeks :eek:  

The other guy.. 40+ days in and your shelter is not even half way done... Another wtf??? 

The foxes out there not even slightly scared of humans is scary stuff. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow.. Sitting there thinking "wtf.. You have Fish and an ox and you are tapping?"  only to learn he had a parasite that untreated could have killed in a few weeks :eek:  

The other guy.. 40+ days in and your shelter is not even half way done... Another wtf??? 

The foxes out there not even slightly scared of humans is scary stuff. 
Mark didn't have the musk ox...that's stone house Roland. But yeah...hfs...without a smart decision there, death by parasite? Amazing too that he put out that fire and rebuilt.

Barrista Joe...nice joinery on the 1/15 house you completed. And nice stretching/yoga instead of building the rest of it...or using the gill-net. Did I catch that right...he didn't even use the ####### gill-net?

I've only watched a couple seasons of these, but I feel like each one has had an absolutely kick ### military guy, who ends up tapping out way before they seem like they need too (from the outside), being ready to leave instead of forced to leave. Got me wondering if theres something in serving that inherently works against making it to the end of this thing.

Mark didn't have the musk ox...that's stone house Roland. But yeah...hfs...without a smart decision there, death by parasite? Amazing too that he put out that fire and rebuilt.

Barrista Joe...nice joinery on the 1/15 house you completed. And nice stretching/yoga instead of building the rest of it...or using the gill-net. Did I catch that right...he didn't even use the ####### gill-net?

I've only watched a couple seasons of these, but I feel like each one has had an absolutely kick ### military guy, who ends up tapping out way before they seem like they need too (from the outside), being ready to leave instead of forced to leave. Got me wondering if theres something in serving that inherently works against making it to the end of this thing.
On the after show Joe said if he could do it all over again he would have gotten that gill net in the water. 45 freaking days. Some of these guys are just so dumb. 

I don’t understand how you can go home saying that your body is so weak if you have four days left of fish to eat? Easy for me to say sitting on my couch, but I just don’t get it. Eat 4 days worth of fish in two days and see how you feel then.
Have you ever sat on your couch and felt so bad you didn't want to eat?  The producers only show us 2% of these peoples' actual lives out there and the contestants themselves decide what to even film.  We have no idea if they have injury, sickness, if they're out in the bushes puking everything up or ####ting blood.  Hunger is only a small part of the problem.  Two people have tapped out citing the importance their health had for their family's sake more than for their own sake.  And I didn't even touch on the mental/emotional aspect of being separated from family/people/pets/thing that matter in the real world.  

They are gonna have to get a forklift to get Roland out of there but I think Callie is next most likely to last.  She's in here element for sure.  She needs a more reliable source of fat to help with the weight and overall health.  I don't know what kind of effort she's making with the fish but rabbit isn't going to cut it.

:doh: Was for some reason thinking Mark was Ox man and that maybe that was where he got the Parasite from.. Must have been under cooked fish ?

As for your last part.. Thinking that if you are single, or at least don't have children it is a lot easier.. Can't imagine when my daughter was younger taking off for a few months and missing out on her growing up.. You only get one chance to see them walk, talk, etc, for the first time.

:doh: Was for some reason thinking Mark was Ox man and that maybe that was where he got the Parasite from.. Must have been under cooked fish ?

As for your last part.. Thinking that if you are single, or at least don't have children it is a lot easier.. Can't imagine when my daughter was younger taking off for a few months and missing out on her growing up.. You only get one chance to see them walk, talk, etc, for the first time.
Yeah... Definitely harder to have that pull of a significant other or especially young child, as you say.

I do wonder specifically about the military angle though. For those that have watched all of them- has a military person won this yet, or gone to the final few people? 

So Starbucks joe goes 4-4 on rabbits then taps... 
Still can't believe he didn't work on his shelter earlier and as he was leaving he was saying how proud of it he was... 

At that rate he'd probably have finished it on day 99.

Still can't believe he didn't work on his shelter earlier and as he was leaving he was saying how proud of it he was... 

At that rate he'd probably have finished it on day 99.
Got to believe he was freezing at night.  Cant see anyone beating Roland as they didn’t even show him.  

Got to believe he was freezing at night.  Cant see anyone beating Roland as they didn’t even show him.  
Yup. Roland only drops now if he gets sick or breaks a leg or something. Since he built his house out of rocks it can’t get lit on fire. He has fruit packed away, he has 100’s if lbs of meat. Only has to hang out in his mancave. He lives in this type of atmosphere normally.

The dude from El Salvador and Callie seem like they have the right mentality to make it the whole time, they have that “not surviving but thriving attitude” (Roland as well) but they have zero meat with fat. Both have talked about extreme weight loss.

Roland’s problem is he may get too fat for his pants :lol:

The General said:
Yup. Roland only drops now if he gets sick or breaks a leg or something. Since he built his house out of rocks it can’t get lit on fire. He has fruit packed away, he has 100’s if lbs of meat. Only has to hang out in his mancave. He lives in this type of atmosphere normally.

The dude from El Salvador and Callie seem like they have the right mentality to make it the whole time, they have that “not surviving but thriving attitude” (Roland as well) but they have zero meat with fat. Both have talked about extreme weight loss.

Roland's roof is wood and could go up. Could probably go out and tear down some trees with his bare hands to fix it. Hell, hell probably set the roof on fire out of boredom.

But still 60 days to go...lots can happen in that time. Fire. Sickness/Parasite. Food storage gets robbed (with bears hibernating, I don't see wolves getting into that food locker...maybe wolverines). Arctic cold gets colder (he was super smart to keep his house essentially buried for the thermal mass/insulation. He could just get bored and lose his mind. 2 whole months to go. I was about to lose my mind after 2 months when we bugged out to a nice house on the MD shore...and I had WiFi and Walmart)

Callie does seem like a likely survivor too...but weight loss/fat consumption I think will be the issue. I wonder how insulated her shelter is too. Love her abilities and especially her attitude. The show really needs a woman winner- the women I've seen on this thing have been amazing.

And when the water freezes, we'll get to see who can best harness fishing. 

Meta-me wonders if, if Roland is the winner, would they have a full episode go by without checking in on him? Ever person left was featured except for him. I would think the producers would want a little bit of the winner every week to show their "journey" or whatever to the finish line.
I asked my wife this and she said “I guess it would be boring to just show him sitting there eating meat” — they still have 4 episodes to fill and there’s a non-zero chance he and only one other person will be there for it so probably wanted to devote time to those leaving. 

If you could gamble on this I’d have a lot of dough on Roland making it. 

Meta-me wonders if, if Roland is the winner, would they have a full episode go by without checking in on him? Ever person left was featured except for him. I would think the producers would want a little bit of the winner every week to show their "journey" or whatever to the finish line.
With two people tapping out and Kyrie (I can't remember the brunettes name) coming close, they needed to focus on those guys. Iirc, Roland's been on every episode until this one...don't think anybody else has had that treatment...feels like they've done the job of showing his journey already more than the rest. 

Wait..who's left? Roland, Callie, El salvidor, Kyrie...?

The General said:

Need alone all-stars of Jordan vs Roland for 100 days. If both make it, the one with the least weight loss percentage wins.  

I wouldn't read too much into them leaving Roland out, every episode has ignored at least one person in the past and that's the first one he's missed.  Amos hasn't been on much lately and they had a lot of story to get through for the other three.  I think this was the best episode because they really got into what those people are going through.  They are only on day 44 so still plenty that can happen.

The way they are showing the days, they don't need to show each person each week.  It isn't like they are showing each person on day 39, then day 40, they are kind of skipping around some.  So this episode was showing the people who dropped for the drama, I am sure next week will be Roland building a second floor and carving a solid granite set of spiral stairs to access it.

The way they are showing the days, they don't need to show each person each week.  It isn't like they are showing each person on day 39, then day 40, they are kind of skipping around some.  So this episode was showing the people who dropped for the drama, I am sure next week will be Roland building a second floor and carving a solid granite set of spiral stairs to access it.
Yeah, this is the way every season has been.  They've never shown everyone until they're down to 3-4.  :shrug:  

Roland's doing something boring this week, like stocking up firewood. 
Left his camera gear behind.  Probably captured and domesticated some wolves, mushed to Alaska, and then helped some Indians harvest a whale with a debris collected from the beach to feed their village.  I'd expect him back around day 46-47 unless he detours to the North Pole to bring Santa some supplies.

Pro tip to the producers, if some show applicant has a kid under 10 yo, toss their application in the trash.  Ditto that if the Starbucks ap is on their cell phone.

Pro tip to the producers, if some show applicant has a kid under 10 yo, toss their application in the trash.  Ditto that if the Starbucks ap is on their cell phone.
Nah, they've had at least a couple of winners with wee ones at home.  Sam on the returning contestants season had like a baby baby and maybe a pregnant wife?  And Zachary in an earlier season had little kids.  That's off the top of my head; there could be others.

Nah, they've had at least a couple of winners with wee ones at home.  Sam on the returning contestants season had like a baby baby and maybe a pregnant wife?  And Zachary in an earlier season had little kids.  That's off the top of my head; there could be others.
I stand corrected.

JaxBill said:
Not Starbucks,  but Good God, no way I make 100 days without coffee. These folks truly are roughing it.  It's one thing to skip breakfast but no coffee?
Yup. Getting out of the tent to a cup of coffee is one of the best parts of backpacking.

Users who are viewing this thread