What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Keith Marshall - RB - Washington (via Georgia) (1 Viewer)

Braktastic said:
True enough.  Still having Lache Seastrunk flashbacks anyway.   :shock:
The hair on my neck just stood up after reading this.  I only own Marshall in two leagues, but here's wishing him the best as he starts his pro career.

Last edited by a moderator:
Braktastic said:
True enough.  Still having Lache Seastrunk flashbacks anyway.   :shock:
There's a world of difference between the programs, and athletes that populate the rosters of UGA and Baylor, and certainly the RB's (see Pro Football Reference).

Barring injury, I'd say there's a much greater probability that Marshall makes something of himself in the NFL, than Seastrunk did.

There's a world of difference between the programs, and athletes that populate the rosters of UGA and Baylor, and certainly the RB's (see Pro Football Reference).

Barring injury, I'd say there's a much greater probability that Marshall makes something of himself in the NFL, than Seastrunk did.
It's not 1985 any more.  Baylor has had 5 first round picks in the last five years compared to Georgia's 4.

ESPN Redskins reporter John Keim does not view seventh-round pick Keith Marshall as a threat to Matt Jones' workload this season.

A size-speed specimen who spent most of his college career injured, Marshall went back on the shelf this spring after running behind someone named "Mack Brown" at rookie camp. Marshall is talented enough to make up ground quickly in August, but he hasn't given any reason to buy into him as an NFL player just yet.

Source: Mike Clay on Twitter

Own him in 1 league as a late round pick, I'm holding strong.  He has instincts.  We just need him to turn that into production. 

(Rotoworld) Redskins rookie Keith Marshall avoided the active/PUP list to begin camp.

Analysis: He's practicing fully, which is good news after Marshall spent most of his college career on the shelf and then sat out some of the offseason program with an additional injury. Marshall posted the highest Speed Score ever recorded by Football Outsiders at this year's Scouting Combine. All the backs in Washington are worth monitoring behind shaky starter Matt Jones.

Appearing on Sirius NFL Radio, Redskins GM Scot McCloughan suggested seventh-round pick Keith Marshall will have a role in the backfield this season.

"It's a two-headed monster in the backfield," said McCloughan, a statement that runs a bit contrary to the largely-held perception that Matt Jones has workhorse potential. McCloughan sounded very excited about Marshall's prospects this year. "He's a one-cut guy and when he puts his foot in the ground, he can FLY," said the second-year GM. "He's 220 (pounds) and he can FLY. ... Keith's done a really good job. A really good job." Marshall should be owned in all Dynasty leagues and is someone worth monitoring closely in re-draft.

Chooooo, chooooo

Curious.

Given that it's the head coach who is talking up Jones, and the GM who is talking up Marshall, might this be a front office disconnect?  Wouldn't be the first in recent Redskins memory...

Wasn't impressed by Jones last year and wasn't when he was in college. What he has is opportunity. How long he will keep it remains to be seen. I like Marshall in Dynasty more than Jones

"● Marshall had a couple of nice runs today, and I’m really curious to see how he does in games, when there’s live tackling, not this mix of thumping and/or tagging backs to avoid injury. He appears to have a good burst, and doesn’t seem to shy away from contact. Today, like other days, Marshall got some work with the first team, spelling Matt Jones. Thompson served as the back on most passing downs."

Link

Curious.

Given that it's the head coach who is talking up Jones, and the GM who is talking up Marshall, might this be a front office disconnect?  Wouldn't be the first in recent Redskins memory...
Nah. I know its hard to believe given the last 10-20 years of disfunction, but McCloughan and Gruden are tight. They get along famously and make all the decisions together, with McCloughan having the tie breaker. The only time Skins fans so far know for sure that he's utilized that tie breaker is when he drafted Crowder, who Gruden and some of the other coaches didn't think could translate...McCloughan was right on that one. So I'm sure he earned some street cred in the draft room on top of his already stellar rep as a talent evaluator. Highly doubt there will be a disconnect between these two when it comes to the RB situation.

Saw a stat on twitter the other day...other than one freak day of production, last year Jones averaged just 30 yards a game rushing.  That's pretty awful.  Like others in this thread, Jones does nothing for me either.  For the cost of a 4th round rookie pick, I can't find a better combo of talent and opportunity to jettison into a prominent role and take off quickly than KM. 

Saw a stat on twitter the other day...other than one freak day of production, last year Jones averaged just 30 yards a game rushing.  That's pretty awful.  Like others in this thread, Jones does nothing for me either.  For the cost of a 4th round rookie pick, I can't find a better combo of talent and opportunity to jettison into a prominent role and take off quickly than KM. 
Yes but Marshall has been going between mid 2nd to early 3rd. Haven't seen him fall to the 4th in any 12-team rookie drafts.

But I do agree with you and wouldn't fault anybody for grabbing him as early as mid 2nd. Since most the guys getting picked in that area this year seem to have low ceilings.

-Rookie running back Keith Marshall had arguably his best day of training camp to date on Monday afternoon, causing issues for the defense up and down the field. On one of Marshall’s first carries of unit drills, he burst up the middle of the defense for what would have likely been an 80-yard touchdown for the speedster. But it wasn’t just that play that wowed those who braved the rain, as there was another play where he started to his left before a sharp cut to his right caught the entire defense off-guard. Plays like that could help him earn a spot on the 53-man roster before it is all said and done. -- http://www.redskins.com/news/article-1/Practice-Notes-2016-SkinsCamp-Day-10/c6d054d5-afe2-4008-88b3-cf89c90671d2

Chad Ryan ‏@ChadwikoRCC  Aug 8

First snap of the 2nd unit 11 on 11s, Keith Marshall squeezed through the A gap exceptionally fast, & no defender had a hope of catching him

https://twitter.com/ChadwikoRCC/status/762739949867110400

Anthony Raposa@AnthonyRaposa

Marshall with another nice run. He's having himself a nice day.
-- https://twitter.com/AnthonyRaposa/status/762741017376329728

Marshall just burst up the middle for a huge gain. Could have been a 60 TD with his speed. #Redskins

-- https://twitter.com/AnthonyRaposa/status/762738726590087168

Seventh-round RB Keith Marshall is "firmly entrenched" as one of the Redskins' top-three running backs.
Redskins OC Sean McVay said Marshall has shown "encouraging maturity for a rookie running back," while Marshall has also drawn glowing praise from GM Scot McCloughan, who went as far as to suggest he could have a significant rookie-year role in a "two-headed monster" with Matt Jones. While Marshall is far from a sure thing, he is more physically gifted than Jones and should be taken seriously as a threat. Chris Thompson is a one-trick satellite back.

Source: ESPN.com 
Aug 9 - 8:00 PM

Jones is the worst starting RB in the NFL. If Marshall can stay healthy, I think he's a fantasy viable player immediately. 

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/26210/redskins-issues-in-run-game-spread-all-over

Redskins issues in run game spread all over

The top three backs – Jones, Chris Thompson and rookie Keith Marshall – combined for no yards on eight carries in the 23-17 loss to Atlanta. Last season, in nine of the Redskins last 12 games, they averaged 3.0 yards per carry or less. And in eight of those games it was 2.47 or less, according to ESPN Stats & Information. That’s why there was an uneasy feeling after the game.

Decision making

Marshall has terrific speed, but sometimes he seemed a bit too fast – or needed to play with better vision. On one run, Marshall failed to react quickly to instant penetration and by the time he did, less than a yard behind the linemen who had been moved back, he had to run parallel to the line and lost all power.

Seventh-rounder Keith Marshall has been working as the Redskins' No. 4 running back at practice this week following his brutal preseason opener.
He's now behind Matt Jones, Chris Thompson, and undrafted rookie "Robert Kelley." Marshall received five carries against the Falcons last Thursday night, but turned them into negative-one yards rushing. The offensive line was part of the problem, but Marshall showed a tendency to try to bounce every run outside. At 5'11/222 with 4.31 speed, Marshall looks the part, but he's in a fight for a roster spot, even after GM Scot McCloughan talked him up nine days ago.

Source: Washington Post
Aug 17 - 10:25 AM

Redskins UDFA RB Rob Kelley has begun cutting into Keith Marshall's reps with the second-team offense.

The Redskins weren't thrilled with Marshall's impatience behind the line of scrimmage in the preseason opener, a trait he's also exhibited on the practice field. Albeit against Atlanta's deep reserves, Kelley shined with 40 yards on seven carries and two catches for 13 yards. Kelley stands 5-foot-11, 226 and ran a 4.68 forty at Tulane's Pro Day. He is a Matt Asiata-caliber athlete.

Source: ESPN.com
Aug 17 - 9:34 PM

Redskins UDFA RB Rob Kelley has begun cutting into Keith Marshall's reps with the second-team offense.

The Redskins weren't thrilled with Marshall's impatience behind the line of scrimmage in the preseason opener, a trait he's also exhibited on the practice field. Albeit against Atlanta's deep reserves, Kelley shined with 40 yards on seven carries and two catches for 13 yards. Kelley stands 5-foot-11, 226 and ran a 4.68 forty at Tulane's Pro Day. He is a Matt Asiata-caliber athlete.

Source: ESPN.com
Aug 17 - 9:34 PM
I had earlier dismissed Kelley as mere camp roster fodder; however, Marshall's struggles make this a little more interesting.  I still believe if there is a back to rise up and challenge Jones, it will be Marshall, but he better get it into gear.  

He busts ONE 75 yarder and everyone in here will breathe again.
That's true.

If he does, it's going to be in the 4th quarter against stiffs.  So while I am rooting for him, and I do own him, I am still pessimistic.

7th round RB don't deserve the benefit of the doubt. They need to prove they are better than their pedigree says.

That's true.

If he does, it's going to be in the 4th quarter against stiffs.  So while I am rooting for him, and I do own him, I am still pessimistic.

7th round RB don't deserve the benefit of the doubt. They need to prove they are better than their pedigree says.
Thats true too but....Rob Kelley is making noise because of garbage time running...and he's a UDFA.

Gah! Golden opportunity to make a little noise wasted tonight it looks like.

Rushing

PLAYER

ATTEMPTS

YARDS

AVG

TDS

LONG

Matt Jones

Keith Marshall

Chris Thompson

Colt McCoy

Rob Kelley

Mack Brown

Fully expected the skins to bring in a FA before Jones even went down so it's not like I was hoping for an insta-starter, but it would've been nice to plant a flag here. I didn't see the game... was there anything mitigating this brutal stat line? He had a 10yd run too.. without that: 1.7ypc. One reception for -3yds as well.

Keith Marshall rushed 10 times for 26 yards in the Redskins' second preseason game Friday night.
Despite Matt Jones going down with a shoulder injury in the first quarter, Marshall did not see the field until the second half and looked to be clearly behind Rob Kelley on the depth chart. Marshall did have a couple nice runs early in the half, but the holes closed up quickly as the night wore on. With Jones questionable for Week 1, Marshall has an opportunity for an early role, but he has a lot of work to do.

Aug 19 - 10:37 PM

K. Marshall Preseason 2

Good: good burst into the second level, made the first defender miss on several occasions 

Bad: botched handoff, dropped pass

I think he played better than the stat line would suggest, the 2nd/3rd string OL didn't really do him a ton of favors. The fact that he's still technically behind Kelly is disconcerting however.

K. Marshall Preseason 2

Good: good burst into the second level, made the first defender miss on several occasions 

I think he played better than the stat line would suggest, the 2nd/3rd string OL didn't really do him a ton of favors. The fact that he's still technically behind Kelly is disconcerting however.
There's nothing that says "cut this rookie" here. Did he make some mistakes? Sure. He also had some nice plays too. 

One thing that I noticed was his body language looked like a guy who is sad almost. (Yeah, yeah "arm chair") His head is down lots, he's slow to get up, his reactions to other players is limited. What does this mean? I have zero idea if even means anything and even less idea what it might mean. Just something I noticed. 

Jones, Thompson, Kelly, Marshall -- couldn't be any more wide open for someone to join the team and leapfrog the entire bunch IMO.  Something worth watching for.  Don't think there are any quality starters in that group.

Jones, Thompson, Kelly, Marshall -- couldn't be any more wide open for someone to join the team and leapfrog the entire bunch IMO.  Something worth watching for.  Don't think there are any quality starters in that group.
Yep - I think that's exactly right.  This is going to be an interesting situation to watch as cuts start to come through as well.  Sure Pierre Thomas could be signed, and probably makes a lot of sense for Washington... but I'd bet they're watching the waiver wire.

Two games into the preseason is simply too soon to tell.

If we judged every player by their first 5-10 carries in meaningless scrimmages, we'd be wrong most of the time.  

I'm mostly judging him by his measurables and draft position.  The lack of preseason performance does start to confirm it, but I thought there was something not quite adding up after the combine.

The botched hand off I wouldn't blame on him. Joey T said the same thing, that's on the QB. At least he jumped on it. I think he showed good burst on a few runs, but would really like to see him run with the first team o-line.

On another note, Alf Morris looked FANTASTIC last night. He seemed like he might have lost weight too. I think the Redskins might regret letting him walk...

What is it about Marshall's measurables and draft position you dislike?  Marshall performed very well at the combine.
His explosion looks like it's completely off the chart low.  And ++speed and --explosion is generally a bad combo.  There's some leeway, but usually they're at least somewhat balanced.

And the fact that he's got that speed at 219 pounds, but wasn't selected until the 7th round (242) is a yellow flag by itself.  Throw in that he's not even making a run at the two poor to terrible RBs in front of him seals the deal for me.  Someone else can jump on that train.

His explosion looks like it's completely off the chart low.  And ++speed and --explosion is generally a bad combo.  There's some leeway, but usually they're at least somewhat balanced.

And the fact that he's got that speed at 219 pounds, but wasn't selected until the 7th round (242) is a yellow flag by itself.  Throw in that he's not even making a run at the two poor to terrible RBs in front of him seals the deal for me.  Someone else can jump on that train.
Marshall's draft position was the consequence of injuries and questions about his durability, not a lack of talent and potential. He has an elite combination of size and speed. Marshall is also an intelligent runner and hard worker. His knee reportedly is recovered, but he seems to lack the confidence to make the cuts and acceleration in traffic he showed prior to his injury.   Despite his slow start, I still contend Marshall is in a good situation to have success in Washington.  At the spot you can get him in drafts, there aren't likely any other backs with his kind of potential and path to a starting job. 

K. Marshall Preseason 2

Thank you very much sir!

Rob Kelley - RB -  Redskins

Redskins coach Jay Gruden says UDFA Rob Kelley will get "a lot" of first-team reps in Matt Jones' (shoulder) preseason absence.
Seventh-rounder Keith Marshall will get "some," according to the Washington Post. It's become crystal clear that Kelley has moved past Marshall on the depth chart, and will begin the season as Jones' primary handcuff. That makes him worth a last-round flier in re-draft leagues. Kelley has 10 carries for 48 yards and a touchdown through two preseason games.

Redskins placed RB Keith Marshall on injured reserve with a damaged UCL in his elbow, ending his season.
Marshall was given a three-week timeline upon going down, but either his prognosis got worse, or the Redskins used his injury as an opportunity to free up a roster spot. Marshall was a hyped seventh-rounder out of Georgia, but didn't make nearly as much noise once the pads went on. Injuries are nothing new for Marshall, whose time in the SEC was marked by one ailment after another. UDFA Rob Kelley will begin the year as Matt Jones' direct backup.

Aug 30 - 5:04 PM

This may be the best thing to happen to him. Should avoid getting cut, gets to learn the offense, shouldn't get out of shape. Never good to see a guy get injured but it could definitely be worse. 

With this news, I just cut him from my dynasty squad. I traded Marvin Jones for the chance to draft him. Swung for the fences but missed.

Lessons Learned: In hindsight, man was that a horrible deal. However, I have to believe that I read the tea leaves properly regarding the redskin RB job. I just picked the wrong guy. Next time I won't trade a bonafide starting WR for a 7th round NFL draft pick no matter if I'm deep at WR and shallow at RB.

The smarter thing would have been to take DeAndre Washington. Trust the NFL scouts kinda maybe might know what the heck they are doing.

With this news, I just cut him from my dynasty squad. I traded Marvin Jones for the chance to draft him. Swung for the fences but missed.

Lessons Learned: In hindsight, man was that a horrible deal. However, I have to believe that I read the tea leaves properly regarding the redskin RB job. I just picked the wrong guy. Next time I won't trade a bonafide starting WR for a 7th round NFL draft pick no matter if I'm deep at WR and shallow at RB.

The smarter thing would have been to take DeAndre Washington. Trust the NFL scouts kinda maybe might know what the heck they are doing.
Hey, when you swing for the fences, sometimes you strike out. 

It is easy to Monday morning quarterback, but you gave up too much for him. His potential value was in grabbing him for minimal investment and letting things play out in Washington.

Marshall could still have some value beyond this season, but unless you have an IR spot to burn, I would just file his name away and revisit this next preseason. 

(RotoWire) Marshall (elbow) may end up competing with Mack Brown for the fourth spot on the depth chart, CSN Mid-Atlantic reports.

Analysis: Rob Kelley and Chris Thompson are locked in as contributors, while the team seemingly wants to give 2016 bust Matt Jones another shot. Such a scenario would leave Marshall on the outside looking in, even though there was sum buzz surrounding him last season -- mostly due to his fantastic measurable. The 2016 seventh-round pick missed his entire rookie year with an elbow injury, though his absence largely may have stemmed from the team's desire to stash him on injured reserve. It's also possible the Redskins will actively address the running back position during the upcoming draft, which would further complicate Marshall's path to making the roster. All that said, Marshall could climb up a somewhat shaky depth chart if he impresses throughout the offseason program.

He was smuggled onto the IR. I think he's a deep dynasty hold, at least through the draft. Now would be the time to pick him up if you still have a fascination with his measurables.

Users who are viewing this thread