Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

***Chicago Bears Thread*** Justin Fields is up


Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, mbuehner said:

let's also remember he's playing vanilla defenses. He will need time to learn the NFL game and get the clock in his head running correctly. Throwing him out too soo could Cutlerize him permanently, consider that.

I've considered it. That's why I'm fine with him sitting a few games.  There was no level of play that Trubisky could've played at that would've won him the starting job, which I think is silly.  We shall see how it plays out. I've lost all on confidence in Fox for good reason.  You won't see me questioning Belichick or Harbaugh. Those guys are masters. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

1 minute ago, flapgreen said:

I've considered it. That's why I'm fine with him sitting a few games.  There was no level of play that Trubisky could've played at that would've won him the starting job, which I think is silly.  We shall see how it plays out. I've lost all on confidence in Fox for good reason.  You won't see me questioning Belichick or Harbaugh. Those guys are masters. 

That's fair. I'm interesting in how this Fox/Pace marriage ends, I think not well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, mbuehner said:

 

That's fair. I'm interesting in how this Fox/Pace marriage ends, I think not well.

It doesn't seem like it will, which is very surprising to me. I was excited about the Fox hire. Shame it hasn't worked out. I think Fox is just burnt out. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Let's break this down. Glennon is the starter week one, but he looks terrible. So, in order to fix the problems prior to week one, the coaches should play him less in the preseason games? I guess I'm lost at the fact that the coach tells you the plan (he's going to bring Mitch along slowly) and you are surprised when it happens?

For the record, I expect Trubisky to get a lot of reps in the 4th preseason game. Beyond that, he will not see the field much this season barring an injury. It will be Sanchez before Trubisky if Glennon goes down. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Never said I was surprised. It should be situational, though.  There was no way to know how these guys were going to play before now.  You have to be flexible and adjust to unexpected occurrences.  It should be an open competition at qb. Glennon has proven nothing in the NFL.  They're paying him 15 million. They shouldn't have to wait him out and fix anything.  

There's no way Sanchez is going to take over before Trubisky. He's getting one to two series a game.  He's a backup to either guy, even though he's charted at 2nd string.  Find a situation over the last 10 years where a first round qb was kept at 3rd string the entire season. Hell, find one who was kept at 2nd. It's not going to happen. 

Edited by flapgreen
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I honestly don't feel like I need to see Trubisky start this season.  I've already accepted that this is just another rebuild year.  I want to see players develop and stay competitive.  I just wan't to make sure Trubisky becomes the franchise QB the Bears need long term, not just this year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Hawkeye21 said:

I honestly don't feel like I need to see Trubisky start this season.  I've already accepted that this is just another rebuild year.  I want to see players develop and stay competitive.  I just wan't to make sure Trubisky becomes the franchise QB the Bears need long term, not just this year.

If he's good enough, you don't think he can learn more on the field than riding the bench? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, flapgreen said:

If he's good enough, you don't think he can learn more on the field than riding the bench? 

Yes and no. Again, not being at practices, I don't know his mindset and how he reacts to adversity. Again, this is why I trust the people that know him better than I do. It's easy to say everyone is wrong when I have no skin in the game. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, flapgreen said:

If he's good enough, you don't think he can learn more on the field than riding the bench? 

I'm not sure if it's best or not.  I suppose it depends on how the rest of the team looks.  If the rest of the team is struggling I wouldn't want Trubisky out there getting his butt kicked too.  All I can do is sit back, watch and hope for the best.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I'm not sure if it's best or not.  I suppose it depends on how the rest of the team looks.  If the rest of the team is struggling I wouldn't want Trubisky out there getting his butt kicked too.  All I can do is sit back, watch and hope for the best.

Well we already know we have a solid interior OL and a group of very good running backs.  If those things are clicking, that's enough to put a young QB in a good situation. The team could easily be struggling because of Glennon's incompetence. :shrug:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The defensive line looks great so far. They can dominate if they stay healthy. Hicks, Goldman, Bullard.  Really shocked at how much better Bullard looks. Roy-Robertson Harris kicked ### last night. Floyd coming off the end. Demps and Jackson look like they could be a very good duo at safety.  LeBlanc looking solid at slot corner. Freeman is already a badass.  There's a lot to like about the defense this year. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, KCitons said:

You put a lot of stock in 2 preseason games. 

I think they have a better roster now than they have had in years. Easy to see the difference in talent. But mostly because we have a potential franchise qb for once. There's a lot to look forward to. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, flapgreen said:

Carey has been running hard. Baring an injury to Carey, Langford shouldn't make the team. Carey has done well on special teams. 

Every RB I've seen has looked decent so far other than Howard I guess but he's been very limited.  Cohen, Carey, Cunningham and Rounds have looked decent.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Every RB I've seen has looked decent so far other than Howard I guess but he's been very limited.  Cohen, Carey, Cunningham and Rounds have looked decent.

Guessing they'll keep 4 RBs and it'll come down between Carey and Langford 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, flapgreen said:

Let's not understate that Fox is coaching for his job this year.  If Glennon goes out and sucks for a few straight games out of the gate, you have to think he'll make a change, surely. 

That's where things get interesting. Pace can keep Trubinksy off the field one way or another, but will he have the balls to go to the mattresses with Fox over it, if Fox is determined to play him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, mbuehner said:

That's where things get interesting. Pace can keep Trubinksy off the field one way or another, but will he have the balls to go to the mattresses with Fox over it, if Fox is determined to play him.

In hearing the recent interviews from both, I think Pace wants Trubisky out there more than Fox. If Fox wanted him out there more, he wouldn't have had less playing time the week after having probably the best game of anyone in week 1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, mbuehner said:

That's where things get interesting. Pace can keep Trubinksy off the field one way or another, but will he have the balls to go to the mattresses with Fox over it, if Fox is determined to play him.

Yeah, I just to understand the reasoning. (except maybe that Fox's job may be on the line) Too many QB's flame out because they are thrown to the wolves too soon. Let Mitch watch this year and bring him along slowly. As I mentioned, they're going nowhere this season. Get a few more players next year and then start to stack the wins. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, KCitons said:

Yeah, I just to understand the reasoning. (except maybe that Fox's job may be on the line) Too many QB's flame out because they are thrown to the wolves too soon. Let Mitch watch this year and bring him along slowly. As I mentioned, they're going nowhere this season. Get a few more players next year and then start to stack the wins. 

Best way to lose your team is keep the best player on the bench.  Let Glennon go out there and lay an egg week after week, while Mitch stays on the bench, you'll lose this entire team.  They don't give a damn about sitting and waiting a year for the rookie to "learn."  If Mitch gives the team the best chance to win and they don't play him, the whole team will give up.  

Look at the culture of this franchise over the last two decades.  A whole bunch of losing with some wins spread throughout.  It's a losing game when you keep your best chance of winning on the bench.  This team needs a change of culture, not to let their best QB sit at 3rd string all year for absolutely nothing.  If you think the rest of the players are worried about Mitch sitting for a year so he can be "ready," you're fooling yourself.  A few more wins than the previous is a huge deal.  You talk about winning a couple more games as pointless.  It's not pointless to the players.  Good luck to Fox if he sticks with the worse qb.  His players will ignore everything says from then on. 

Edited by flapgreen
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, flapgreen said:

Best way to lose your team is keep the best player on the bench.  Let Glennon go out there and lay an egg week after week, while Mitch stays on the bench, you'll lose this entire team.  They don't give a damn about sitting and waiting a year for the rookie to "learn."  If Mitch gives the team the best chance to win and they don't play him, the whole team will give up.  

Look at the culture of this franchise over the last two decades.  A whole bunch of losing with some wins spread throughout.  It's a losing game when you keep your best chance of winning on the bench.  This team needs a change of culture, not to let their best QB sit at 3rd string all year for absolutely nothing.  If you think the rest of the players are worried about Mitch sitting for a year so he can be "ready," you're fooling yourself.  A few more wins than the previous is a huge deal.  You talk about winning a couple more games as pointless.  It's not pointless to the players.  Good luck to Fox if he sticks with the worse qb.  His players will ignore everything says from then on. 

How do you know what the players are thinking?

At this point, I'm not sure that Glennon isn't the better QB. These preseason games are a poor way to judge. There is no game plan involved.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The thing we don't know is how Trubisky looks in practice and how he is understanding things in the QB room.  As far as we know the offense they ran in those preseason games were specifically designed for him to do well.  He's not going to be able to run those plays every drive in a full, regular season game.  This is Madden football.  I don't think he should be starting yet but I would have to agree with Flap that it would be nice to see more of him in a preseason game.  I want to see him in more formations and running a variety of plays.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

The thing we don't know is how Trubisky looks in practice and how he is understanding things in the QB room.  As far as we know the offense they ran in those preseason games were specifically designed for him to do well.  He's not going to be able to run those plays every drive in a full, regular season game.  This is Madden football.  I don't think he should be starting yet but I would have to agree with Flap that it would be nice to see more of him in a preseason game.  I want to see him in more formations and running a variety of plays.

Well, we do know that Glennon sucks in the game and Trubisky hasn't. Practice comes down the list from there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, flapgreen said:

Well, we do know that Glennon sucks in the game and Trubisky hasn't. Practice comes down the list from there. 

I agree but I still don't think it's an even comparison yet.  We're going to need to see Trubisky starting with the same group of guys and running the same offensive plays.  My gut says that Trubisky really is that much better though.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, flapgreen said:

I'll be at the game this Sunday. Would love it if Mitch got some time early in the game. :popcorn:

I really think this is the game that Trubisky needs to get in with the first team guys.  Week 4 they should be sitting the majority of all the starters so even if Trubisky starts then he'll still be with the back ups.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, flapgreen said:

. @MarkPotash : Is there a way to work Trubisky in with 1s without it being an "affront" to Glennon?

#Bears coach John Fox: "Probably not."

I heard a great idea on the radio this morning.  Just announce Glennon as the week one starter so he doesn't have to think about it then play Trubisky with the first team more the rest of the preseason.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

With apologies for the formatting, you could look at their schedule a couple different ways....

Either you need a veteran who is not going to be goaded into making mistakes (have to win via small ball) or you need a spark that only the athletic rookie can provide.

You would think the Bears are likely to start 0-3, in which case the pressure on Fox will be enormous to put the rookie in, who will then be feasted on by the Packers, Vikings and Ravens.

What a horrible schedule.

 

1Sep 10ATL @ CHI
2Sep 17CHI @ TB
3Sep 24PIT @ CHI
4Sep 28CHI @ GB
5Oct 09MIN @ CHI
6Oct 15CHI @ BAL
7Oct 22CAR @ CHI
8Oct 29CHI @ NO
10Nov 12GB @ CHI
11Nov 19DET @ CHI
12Nov 26CHI @ PHI
13Dec 03SF @ CHI
14Dec 10CHI @ CIN
15Dec 16CHI @ DET
16Dec 24CLE @ CHI
17Dec 31CHI @ MIN

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wouldn't say it's likely they'll be 0-3. The Bears are much improved on defense and special teams and probably have an even stronger rushing game.  They can easily beat Tampa. Minnesota and Baltimore aren't great teams. Green Bay defense is average.  If the Bears put the right qb in, they can be competitive in every game. Atlanta will be a tall task. 

Edited by flapgreen
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, flapgreen said:

I wouldn't say it's likely they'll be 0-3. The Bears are much improved on defense and special teams and probably have an even stronger rushing game.  They can easily beat Tampa. Minnesota and Baltimore aren't great teams. Green Bay defense is average.  If the Bears put the right qb in, they can be competitive in every game. Atlanta will be a tall task. 

:lmao:  This applies to every team. Does this mean that Glennon could be the right QB? or does it have to be Trubisky in your opinion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, flapgreen said:

I wouldn't say it's likely they'll be 0-3. The Bears are much improved on defense and special teams and probably have an even stronger rushing game.  They can easily beat Tampa. Minnesota and Baltimore aren't great teams. Green Bay defense is average.  If the Bears put the right qb in, they can be competitive in every game. Atlanta will be a tall task. 

Totally disagree about them easily beating Tampa. If you mean there's a fair chance, okay. But I'd bet on the bucs there if I were to bet.  Agree on the other two.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • flapgreen changed the title to ***Chicago Bears Thread*** Justin Fields is up

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...