What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Corey Davis, Retired (3 Viewers)

He is playing fwiw

@PaulKuharskyNFL

A day after his brother Titus passed away after a cancer battle, @TheCDavis84 is expected to play for the #Titans tonight against the #Colts.

Corey Davis caught 5-of-6 targets for 67 yards in the Titans' Week 10 loss to the Colts.

After losing his brother this week, Davis ended up pacing the Titans in targets, catches, and yards on a night Ryan Tannehill completed just 15 passes for 147 yards. Davis is having an okay 2020 who has settled in as a weekly WR4 in a low-volume passing offense when both A.J. Brown and Jonnu Smith are healthy. The Titans get a date with the Ravens in Week 11.

- Rotoworld

Last edited by a moderator:
Cameras cut to him at one point on the sideline in tears. (I think that was his reaction during a moment of contemplation or the anthem.) Wouldn't wish this upon anybody. Godspeed, friend. 

impressed that he played through that pain....he is in a very conservative offense....but he passes the eye test...still has the size and speed combo that made him a high pick...but looks more fluid and confident in his routes and catching the ball.  Id be buying in dynasty...especially if he gets out of Tenn as a FA next year which I think he will as Tenn is up against the cap.  

Corey Davis caught all three of his targets for 70 yards in the Titans' Week 12 win over the Colts. 

Davis now has 183 receiving yards over his past two games. The Colts shaded coverage toward A.J. Brown, leaving Davis in one-on-one coverage throughout the first half. Davis has quietly established something of a decent fantasy floor as the team's No. 2 pass catcher behind Brown. He should be in the high-end WR3 conversation next week against the Browns. 

- Rotoworld

Davis seems firmly entrenched as a solid #2. He keeps improving this year as if things are finally clicking.

The Browns were down Ward and Greedy so let's not get carried away with one game, however he has earned his due after all the flack he's received. (From me too)

I doubt the Titans can afford him. He probably walks.

He's a real good blocker some plays so if a team has a notable outside runner, he could get some extra $ in free agency.

I just don't think he's a FF #1 that'll command huge $ especially with the WR talent coming out of college. 

Good work ethic, good guy, never a prob...a team can totally do worse than signing him. Very solid signing for some team this coming offseason

Davis seems firmly entrenched as a solid #2. He keeps improving this year as if things are finally clicking.

The Browns were down Ward and Greedy so let's not get carried away with one game, however he has earned his due after all the flack he's received. (From me too)

I doubt the Titans can afford him. He probably walks.

He's a real good blocker some plays so if a team has a notable outside runner, he could get some extra $ in free agency.

I just don't think he's a FF #1 that'll command huge $ especially with the WR talent coming out of college. 

Good work ethic, good guy, never a prob...a team can totally do worse than signing him. Very solid signing for some team this coming offseason
Gotta believe the Pats sniff around him.

Corey Davis is the 14th highest scoring receiver in fantasy football over the past five weeks. 

Davis has outscored teammate A.J. Brown over that stretch on the strength of a 113-yard day against Baltimore in Week 11 and a 184-yard day against the Browns in Week 13. Davis has drawn seven red zone targets over those five games, two more than Brown. Davis has thrived with that red zone opportunity, converting all seven targets into receptions, one for a touchdown. Davis is a WR2 option for Week 14 against the Jaguars. He could be one of fantasy football's most important players down the stretch. 

RELATED: 

A.J. Brown

Dec 8, 2020, 11:39 AM ET

Gotta believe the Pats sniff around him.
Yeah. I'm waiting for that Titans to Pats route to develop. We took several Pats, but all the Titans hearing Belichick stories or whatever goes on...ya gotta figure they are intrigued by New England.

BTW The Pats signed a very good udfa WR to the PS after cut down day. The Titans had no spots open but Kristian Wilkerson impressed in camp. I bet he catches your eye next summer

Davis now 29th overall in PPR even missing two games due to COVID and throwing up a goose egg one other time.

He's 19th in average PPR PPG.

Not bad for someone you could have gotten for a third-rounder and was considered expendable by most. He's a strong "hold" for me in dynasty until we get to see what team he goes to.

Davis now 29th overall in PPR even missing two games due to COVID and throwing up a goose egg one other time.

He's 19th in average PPR PPG.

Not bad for someone you could have gotten for a third-rounder and was considered expendable by most. He's a strong "hold" for me in dynasty until we get to see what team he goes to.
Told ya’ll to buy every year!

The Challenge is number of targets per game. The Titans do not run an offense that can fill up a stat sheet for a WR1, TE, then a WR2...they just don't throw it enough when they are ahead in football games and with a record of 8-4 vs 4-8 they sometimes get away from throwing to their WRs. 

No one is thinking Davis is a better WR than AJ Brown, we're not having that conversation are we? Look at the entire 3-4 year run and not just the last 5 weeks as the Titans have gone from 5-0 to 8-4? Are they 3-4 over their last 7? Their secondary isn't very good though and they need a playoff push, they ned to throw the ball. 

The Challenge is number of targets per game. The Titans do not run an offense that can fill up a stat sheet for a WR1, TE, then a WR2...they just don't throw it enough when they are ahead in football games and with a record of 8-4 vs 4-8 they sometimes get away from throwing to their WRs. 

No one is thinking Davis is a better WR than AJ Brown, we're not having that conversation are we? Look at the entire 3-4 year run and not just the last 5 weeks as the Titans have gone from 5-0 to 8-4? Are they 3-4 over their last 7? Their secondary isn't very good though and they need a playoff push, they ned to throw the ball. 
No, but having him on the other side of the field is a good thing for Davis and us.

No, but having him on the other side of the field is a good thing for Davis and us.
This could be very true. Corey might function a little bit better as a WR2, it seems. I'd have to check his fantasy scores the games AJ missed and the games he played, though, to be certain. It could wind up surprising somebody.

This could be very true. Corey might function a little bit better as a WR2, it seems. I'd have to check his fantasy scores the games AJ missed and the games he played, though, to be certain. It could wind up surprising somebody.
I think there is no question that Ryan Tannehill is an improvement over Marcus Mariota.

Corey Davis with MM had 57% catch rate 7.4 yards per target.

Corey Davis with RT 71% catch rate 10.4 yards per target.

I don't think the splits for when Davis played and Brown didn't tells us much. They both missed game 4 this season and there is only two games that Davis played where Brown didn't and one game where Brown plays but Davis doesn't.

I think there is no question that Ryan Tannehill is an improvement over Marcus Mariota.

Corey Davis with MM had 57% catch rate 7.4 yards per target.

Corey Davis with RT 71% catch rate 10.4 yards per target.
Ah, a more worthwhile stat. Good show. He's definitely been better with Tannehill. How much of that was a function of being injured is another thing, an issue even Davis admits was holding him back (not fitness, but injuries).

Ah, a more worthwhile stat. Good show. He's definitely been better with Tannehill. How much of that was a function of being injured is another thing, an issue even Davis admits was holding him back (not fitness, but injuries).
Brown is still better than Davis by this criteria at 11.4 yards per target.

But if you look at it this way Corey Davis and AJ Brown are actually close to the same performance level.

Brown is still better than Davis by this criteria at 11.4 yards per target.

But if you look at it this way Corey Davis and AJ Brown are actually close to the same performance level.
Oh, I wasn't really comparing Brown and Davis. I think they're drawing different types of coverage. Only so many bodies you can use when you're trying to stop Henry. Brown's probably (right now) the better receiver, though Davis has more of a traditional receiver vibe to him (probably due to height).

Oh, I wasn't really comparing Brown and Davis. I think they're drawing different types of coverage. Only so many bodies you can use when you're trying to stop Henry. Brown's probably (right now) the better receiver, though Davis has more of a traditional receiver vibe to him (probably due to height).
Yeah I was more going back to the offseason where we were discussing Brown vs Davis.

The gap between them was a lot more if you just look at 2019 stats. 

Davis is doing better than Brown this season.

His first two years in the league, other teams gave him the #1 WR treatment, but he didn't have a competent QB.

Last year he gets a competent QB. HOWEVER, he also gets AJ Brown. Opposing teams still treated him like the #1 WR. Tannehill was satisfied looking elsewhere than at the #1 coverage.

This year, teams are more often treating Davis like the #2 WR, the first time in his career. I read before the Chicago game that the Bears were expected to cover Davis with their better CB. I benched him. It wasn't that I thought he couldn't get open, it is Tannehill's reluctance to challenge the #1 coverage combined with the low passing volume. We saw enough of that last year.

Davis has zero games in his career where he is treated like the #1 WR, has a competent QB, AND the QB is willing to throw to him despite #1 coverage (which doubly won't happen in Tenn with a damn good WR on the other side).

It will be very interesting to see how Davis does on another team, and how Brown fares if no other WR steps up after the departure of Davis.

Corey Davis caught 3-of-3 targets for 34 yards in the Titans' Week 14 win over the Jaguars, also losing a fumble. 

Coming off a career-high 182-yard day, Davis had his second lowest output of the season. His fumble was a ball that got tomahawked out from behind in a crowd. Davis' looks were limited because the Titans did not really have to take to the skies as Derrick Henry blew the Jaguars away on the ground, but he did draw six fewer targets than A.J. Brown. AJB responded with 7/112/1, restoring order in this receiver corps. Davis' WR3 volume should return for what figures to be more of a shootout in Week 15 in the Lions, though Detroit is also highly vulnerable on the ground. 

- Rotoworld

Corey Davis caught 4-of-6 targets for 110 yards and one touchdown in the Titans' Week 15 win over the Lions.

The six targets tied A.J. Brown for the team lead on a day Ryan Tannehill attempted 27 passes. Davis' big play was a 75-yard touchdown on the second drive where S Duron Harmon was tied in knots trying to tackle Davis after the catch. Davis could have had a second touchdown late in the second half, but Tannehill badly missed him wide open in the end zone on his only poor throw of the day. Davis is enjoying a career year in an elite Titans offense and will be a WR2/3 next week against the Packers.

Dec 20, 2020, 5:09 PM ET

Corey Davis caught 5-of-11 targets for 39 yards in the Titans' Week 17 win over the Texans. 

It was a highly disappointing effort for Davis, who ends up falling 16 yards shy of his first 1,000-yard season. He would have gotten there if not for a few drops. Davis will have to clear his head in a hurry for a tough Wild Card matchup with the Ravens. He got Baltimore for a 5/113/0 line in November. 

- Rotoworld

Corey Davis did not catch either of his two targets in the Titans' Wild Card loss to the Ravens. 

Davis ended his season on the sideline while dealing with an unknown injury. Titans coach Mike Vrabel said "he wasn't able to go" but did not elaborate on the situation. Davis nearly hit 1,000 receiving yards in the regular season and did so while missing two games. As a 26-year-old, former first-round selection coming off a breakout campaign, Davis should generate some buzz in free agency. The Titans don't have a ton of wiggle room with their cap this offseason and chose not to pick up the fifth-year option on Davis' rookie contract. Davis will likely get signed as a team's second receiver. If a franchise with a solid offense commits to him with a multi-year deal, he'll likely get drafted as an upside WR in fantasy leagues.

- Rotoworld

If the Falcons move on from Jones, Corey is the perfect fill in. He can be the 2 WR well, great blocker, teammate, easy obvious add.

Boston said:
He's a guy who I hope the Pats make a run at...allows them to add a quality WR without breaking the bank.
His agent already made a statement he's looking for big $. 

It made me think well then he's gonna be signed real late when you learn to come down from that demand.

One year, from a top 5 pick WR, does not make for a huge payday. 

Great intangibles, excellent blocking, he's a solid add for any team but he's not Randy Moss.

I really like the PS WR the Pats took from us. I bet he catches your eye next camp

His agent already made a statement he's looking for big $. 

It made me think well then he's gonna be signed real late when you learn to come down from that demand.

One year, from a top 5 pick WR, does not make for a huge payday. 

Great intangibles, excellent blocking, he's a solid add for any team but he's not Randy Moss.

I really like the PS WR the Pats took from us. I bet he catches your eye next camp
If that is the case than he losses a ton of value to me...the value would be being a good WR (as you point out) who you don't have to break the bank for...he would be a piece of the puzzle but if he's looking to cash in than the dollars can be spent better elsewhere.

Titans general manager Jon Robison indicated Jonnu Smith and Corey Davis might sign elsewhere this offseason. 

Both Smith and Davis are unrestricted free agents who should see interest from several teams in the coming weeks and months. The uber-athletic Smith made the most of his limited opportunity in the run-heavy Tennessee offense, turning in his most productive season in 2020 (41 receptions and eight touchdowns). In a more pass-happy offense, Smith could finally become an every-week fantasy starter rather than a strictly touchdown-dependent option. Davis disappointed down the stretch in 2020 after a hot start -- mostly due to A.J. Brown being sidelined with a knee injury. Davis did, however, post a career high in yards per reception (15.1) last year while missing two games. Davis in no way profiles as a team's WR1. "We’ll see what we can figure out," Robinson said. "But at the end of the day, if they choose to capitalize on free agency and the market, I wish them nothing but the best. They’ve done everything we’ve asked them to do.”

RELATED: 

Corey Davis

SOURCE: ProFootballTalk.com 

Feb 17, 2021, 8:40 AM ET

Jets signed WR Corey Davis, formerly of the Titans, to a three-year, $37.5 million contract.

It includes $27 million guaranteed. Davis is the first big domino to fall in the 2021 free agent wide receiver market, and he opted to sign a shorter contract so he could re-hit free agency as a 29-year-old. Davis is an over-qualified No. 2 receiver and a forgettable top option in the passing game. He'll be the latter in New York and line up in three-receiver sets with 2020 second-rounder Denzel Mims and reliable slot receiver Jamison Crowder. Just how high Davis should be ranked in 2021 fantasy drafts depends on who will be at quarterback. That won't be answered until Day 1 of the upcoming draft. For now, Davis offers WR3 appeal as a 26-year-old coming off a career-high 984 yards and five touchdowns.

RELATED: 

Tennessee Titans

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Mar 15, 2021, 7:52 PM ET

And just like that, after his own stats were praising him weeks before for his efficiency numbers, Chase Stuart considers him part of a unique system at Tennessee that allowed for him to flourish via having other teams play a system geared to stop the run and AJ Brown. Says he isn't a top ten receiver in the league. Well, duh. But who is asking for that? Let's hope the signing works out for the Jets. I hope it will.

And just like that, after his own stats were praising him weeks before for his efficiency numbers, Chase Stuart considers him part of a unique system at Tennessee that allowed for him to flourish via having other teams play a system geared to stop the run and AJ Brown. Says he isn't a top ten receiver in the league. Well, duh. But who is asking for that? Let's hope the signing works out for the Jets. I hope it will.
His contract alone should tells us no one thinks he's a Top 10 WR. 

Users who are viewing this thread