What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Corey Davis, Retired (2 Viewers)

Yeah, he came close a couple times plus had 10 targets in his 2nd game back from injury.  Future definitely looks promising. 

saw the team target him three other times (one a PI and two on offsides).

they're feeding him the ball. and i like his chances of being a weekly FF starter down the stretch.

I thought he played like a wimp. This TO clone or whatever comparison you wanna roll with from earlier....he got nudged by the DB and was off his route several times. Watch on gamepass if ya can. Scrawny DB barely bumps him and he's about done at that point. I thought there were a few overthrows live but watching it again, I don't know that there were any other than the obvious throw aways to avoid pressure. It was real weak and from a supposed tough rugged WR too.

I almost wanna see offensive pass interference next week.

Get him in a lob situation and he can outmuscle and outleap anyone. Running up the field, a little bump renders him useless? Cmon!

I thought he played like a wimp. This TO clone or whatever comparison you wanna roll with from earlier....he got nudged by the DB and was off his route several times. Watch on gamepass if ya can. Scrawny DB barely bumps him and he's about done at that point. I thought there were a few overthrows live but watching it again, I don't know that there were any other than the obvious throw aways to avoid pressure. It was real weak and from a supposed tough rugged WR too.

I almost wanna see offensive pass interference next week.

Get him in a lob situation and he can outmuscle and outleap anyone. Running up the field, a little bump renders him useless? Cmon!

From Faust's article

“Ball security is obviously a huge topic all of the time,” Titans coach Mike Mularkey said.

“I just said, ‘As big as you are, the next time it happens again’ – it’s an experience that he’s going to learn from – ‘next time put your shoulder down and barrel in.”

Well he thought he didn't play well. Called his fumble play terrible and said his "work" wasn't much better. I do love a rook owning up to mistakes.

Mularkey was somewhat negative with the "it's his 3rd game" excuse added.

Guy on the radio called him "too consumed with the defender" and I like that phrase. 

OK OK OK just man up next time. There's no way the Steelers see that and don't try and bump him around all game. Surely some of that happened in college. Cmon now Corey

Thoughts on why you think so? Steelers play a 3-4 zone. I can see him doing well too.
After only allowing 4 WRs to score 10+ PPR points on them in the first 7 weeks, they've allowed 5 (Marvin 18.8, Tate 15.6, T.J 12.8, Moncrief 13, Chester Rogers 22.7) to score 10+ over the past 2 weeks. It seems like the floodgates have opened although I'm not exactly sure why. So although PIT is allowing the 4th fewest PPG to WRs on the season I don't think that's indicative of the match-up moving forward. BAL and CIN were legitimately bad match-ups, I don't think PIT is.

After only allowing 4 WRs to score 10+ PPR points on them in the first 7 weeks, they've allowed 5 (Marvin 18.8, Tate 15.6, T.J 12.8, Moncrief 13, Chester Rogers 22.7) to score 10+ over the past 2 weeks. It seems like the floodgates have opened although I'm not exactly sure why. So although PIT is allowing the 4th fewest PPG to WRs on the season I don't think that's indicative of the match-up moving forward. BAL and CIN were legitimately bad match-ups, I don't think PIT is.
I watched the highlights.  Steelers safety was getting burned.  Bad reads and miscommunication lead to the Moncrief and Rogers TD.  The safety was getting juked and bit the wrong lead all day.  With a 3-4 zone safety is the key.  Titans better use play action.  Cause if they do Corey will eat on matchups against the middle.

The film does not lie.  Corey Davis should have had 130+ yards and 3 TDs.  Mariota missed him on two would have been TDs.

https://streamable.com/qef5h

On this play the defense went off sides so the Titans had a free play.  If Mariota placed a better ball Davis would have scored or at least gotten 30 yards.

https://streamable.com/zmj3o

This was a sure TD.  Davis beat his defender and he was WIDE OPEN.  Mariota chucked it too far.  There was a holding penalty on the DB when Davis crossed his route but not enough to hold him back.  Davis is too strong.  That would have been an easy 63 yard TD.

Seriously ya'll.  All the attention going to that fumble at the goal line.  Corey was schooling in this game.  The Bungles D is supposed to be good too.

The film does not lie.  Corey Davis should have had 130+ yards and 3 TDs.  Mariota missed him on two would have been TDs.

On this play the defense went off sides so the Titans had a free play.  If Mariota placed a better ball Davis would have scored or at least gotten 30 yards.

This was a sure TD.  Davis beat his defender and he was WIDE OPEN.  Mariota chucked it too far.  There was a holding penalty on the DB when Davis crossed his route but not enough to hold him back.  Davis is too strong.  That would have been an easy 63 yard TD.

Seriously ya'll.  All the attention going to that fumble at the goal line.  Corey was schooling in this game.  The Bungles D is supposed to be good too.
Yup. If he makes those plays he's the talk of fantasy right now and everyone burning faab, waiver to get him. 

Nicely done thank you for this. :thumbup:

The first one Mariota had an obvious free play on an offsides, he HAS to put that ball on Corey. Given the ball skills he's flashed even if it's underthrown, there's a good chance he can make a play and obviously no downside if the DB makes a play. The second one is the killer for me. Mariota looks to release it just before or simultaneously with the hold on Davis. Can't really put that on the qb who threw what would have been a perfect ball or on Davis, who fought through the contact and got wide open. Just unfortunate that the DB slowed him enough.

edited to add- great post, thanks for showing those clips. 

Last edited by a moderator:

So, bad QB play or the two aren't in rhythm together? Either way, that also hurts Davis' prospects in redraft. 

So, bad QB play or the two aren't in rhythm together? Either way, that also hurts Davis' prospects in redraft. 
That thought certainly crossed my mind, as well.

However, those two highlights were definitely low-probability connections any way you look at it IMO.

The positive I would take away is the targets...either because Davis demonstrates great ability to get open...and/or Mariota looks his way when he's in trouble. Both bode well for the future.

If the targets are there, the stats won't be far behind.

If we're talking about Hundley or Osweiler throwing the ball then yes.  However, Mariota throws a decent deep ball.  What's important here is air yards and target share.  Corey is up there for the Titans.  The break out is coming.

I don't have the guts to play him against PIT on a short week but the plan is to start him the rest of the way after this week.

That thought certainly crossed my mind, as well.

However, those two highlights were definitely low-probability connections any way you look at it IMO.

The positive I would take away is the targets...either because Davis demonstrates great ability to get open...and/or Mariota looks his way when he's in trouble. Both bode well for the future.

If the targets are there, the stats won't be far behind.
I agree that the breakout is coming... I'm just not sure that it will be here quick enough to help FF owners this year.

I didn't watch him last week with the 10 targets but did he run any short/intermediate routes?  Curls, shallow crosses, and sit downs in zones that sort of thing?  That seems more Matthews territory to me but I could be wrong.  If that is Davis doing it then he'll feast against Pittsburgh.  As a Steeler fan that hurts me to say.  

I didn't watch him last week with the 10 targets but did he run any short/intermediate routes?  Curls, shallow crosses, and sit downs in zones that sort of thing?  That seems more Matthews territory to me but I could be wrong.  If that is Davis doing it then he'll feast against Pittsburgh.  As a Steeler fan that hurts me to say.  
The infamous TD fumble was a short route which he turned up the field 19 yards.

mostly sideline routes

Decker didn't play but 20ish snaps and made two huge catches. I prefer him in this part time role, but I'm curious if he doesn't play more now.

I am considered the underdog in this week's match up so I will likely roll with Davis this week and hope for a long TD or 2

I'm telling you all.  Corey Davis will get open in this Steelers zone.  I'm not worried about him.  We should all ask the question will Mariota be able to make the throws to him?  That's my biggest concern.  The Titans are actually a good matchup for the zone.  They have skill position players that can influence coverage.

-Murray/Henry to keep the line honest.

-Walker to take the Safety.

-Offensive line strength.

-Corey will get open in the seams because Walker will command so much attention from the Safety.  But in order for Mariota to hit him there he will need time to throw.  But Mariota can make plays with his legs.  There's also the play action.  This is a good match up.

Still hedging McKinnon/Parker over Davis at FLEX. Also, he would be my 3rd player going on Thursday and that always makes me worry. Thoughts? Prayers?

I am considered the underdog in this week's match up so I will likely roll with Davis this week and hope for a long TD or 2
Interesting choice with a guy that has a career high of 6 for 69 and is averaging 11.5 per catch. 

Not razzing the pick- I do think he will be good moving forward. 

Interesting choice with a guy that has a career high of 6 for 69 and is averaging 11.5 per catch. 

Not razzing the pick- I do think he will be good moving forward. 
Targets trending upward, game situation will likely be in favor of Tenn passing, looks like a legit stud to me and I trust Mariota more than most.

Targets trending upward, game situation will likely be in favor of Tenn passing, looks like a legit stud to me and I trust Mariota more than most.
Oh I know, I am a fan and have been holding in redraft for a couple weeks. I am just not sure we can say he is an upside play yet. 

And the offers are flowing in

Got one of Terrelle Pryor, 1st and 3rd.  Needless to say I happily declined.  

Corey Davis target share in games he's fully healthy (Week 1, 9-10) Davis (22%), Rishard Matthews (20%), Delanie Walker (20%), Deric Decker (13%) and Titans RBs (12%).

Corey Davis target share in games he's fully healthy (Week 1, 9-10) Davis (22%), Rishard Matthews (20%), Delanie Walker (20%), Deric Decker (13%) and Titans RBs (12%).
Not sure that it matters for FF, but one series has been all him each game (maybe a single run to break it up but...). Outside of that, he's clearly third behind Matthews and Walker. I imagine they're trying to get him going. He hasn't really been successful at these times, so maybe if he does get hot there will be a big uptick the rest of the game

Not sure that it matters for FF, but one series has been all him each game (maybe a single run to break it up but...). Outside of that, he's clearly third behind Matthews and Walker. I imagine they're trying to get him going. He hasn't really been successful at these times, so maybe if he does get hot there will be a big uptick the rest of the game
Interesting take.

His target numbers look good, his ability to make good catches on the sideline look good. His acceleration after the short catch last week was phenomenal.

Ill be real interested to lock in and watch him run routes tonight. 

This Titans staff and the previous have been rough with rookies and wrecked some of their confidence. 

Davis was called out for a bad game and made a "what ya wanna hear" statement Monday.

I did not like Mularkey and Robiske calling him out Tuesday. "Dumbest play I've seen in football" was real strong for a day after he apologized and said he has to do better. They don't say "that matter has been handled" or "we're onto the Steelers now" like most NFL staffs do.

Users who are viewing this thread