What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Corey Davis, Retired (4 Viewers)

Targets are steadily dropping for Davis.  It's getting harder to hold him.  With a short bench, it's getting harder to hold on to him, when Ridley, Boyd, Crabtree are on waivers.  Does anyone see the Ten offense picking up soon?

i'm considering mariota's health as a bellwether for corey. while it looks like gabbert is starting or mariota is limited, corey sits. but until it looks like mariota is done for a long time or the season, i'm not moving him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah this is starting to feel like last year for him. Still early though, and he looks like a beast with the ball in his hands. I'm gonna hold for a few more weeks.

Pretty much all Titans have been thoroughly mediocre this far. Which is not a huge surprise given all the injuries and tough matchups. Both figure to get better, so the offense should get back on track as well. 

Now that they have signed Austin Davis as back up QB I'm sure the offensive issues will disappear.....

:sarcasm:  

UofMAce said:
Targets are steadily dropping for Davis.  It's getting harder to hold him.  With a short bench, it's getting harder to hold on to him, when Ridley, Boyd, Crabtree are on waivers.  Does anyone see the Ten offense picking up soon?
I need to see Mariota in there healthy. I still think Davis can be big this year, but the QB and OL health issues need to get better. 

But. Boyd breakout may be real. I know you said short benches, but for me I'd start Boyd over Davis without pause right now. Last week, too. Gabbert is really horrible. Would I rather roster Boyd ROS, though? Not sure. Davis might still be better in the playoffs. Sure there isn't anyone else you could drop?

FBG seems to like him this week.  I think we might be a year too soon on the breakout. 
For some reason the 3 year rule has gone out the window. Probably thanks to guys like OBJ busting out of nowhere to dominate.

I still wouldn't take a 1st for him

Hard to grade him at all so far. The TEN offense has been a mess with injuries. It would be nice to just have a fair sample size to get an accurate read on where he is and what to expect of him going forward. I wonder if Mariota is going to flame out and we have to wait longer. 

I need to see Mariota in there healthy. I still think Davis can be big this year, but the QB and OL health issues need to get better. 

But. Boyd breakout may be real. I know you said short benches, but for me I'd start Boyd over Davis without pause right now. Last week, too. Gabbert is really horrible. Would I rather roster Boyd ROS, though? Not sure. Davis might still be better in the playoffs. Sure there isn't anyone else you could drop?
Yep with short bench it's tough figuring out who to keep.  This league I'm in requires rostering two K and two Def so I'm holding on to three extra RBs and one extra Wr.  Watkins, Julio,and Antonio are my other WRs.  Have Conner , Howard, Henry, Ekeler, and Lynch as my RBs. 

Definitely a big disappointment so far this season compared to the buzz he was getting during the preseason and where he was drafted. I guess all we can do is hope that Mariota gets better and they have the chemistry we thought they would.  He's gone from starter, to bench, to a roster drop possibility. I'm sure anyone who drafted him wants to wait as long as they can, but he's just tying up a roster spot at this point and decisions are going to need to be made soon. 

Others helped. Showed plenty of spreading around. During the other games it was too much Davis and forcing it. 

Corey Davis hauled in 9-of-15 targets for 161 yards and a touchdown in the Titans' Week 4 win over the Eagles.

Consistently getting targets, Davis always seemed likely to break out once Marcus Mariota returned to full health, and that is exactly what happened against the Eagles. He had already set a new season-high in yardage by midway through the second quarter, and that was with Mariota missing him for what would have been a long gain. Mariota found him for that long play in the fourth quarter, but that was not the end of the action. Following an Eagles field goal, the Titans need a touchdown to win, and Davis delivered with a leaping grab with just five seconds left. WIth Mariota looking healthy, Davis will be a top-24 option next week against the Bills.

Sep 30 - 4:42 PM

Huge day. Lets see if he can put together a few strong games in a row. Vrabel certainly looks willing to commit to throwing him the ball.

And to Davis' credit, he absolutely looked the part today. Big, fast, and strong.

Huge day. Lets see if he can put together a few strong games in a row. Vrabel certainly looks willing to commit to throwing him the ball.

And to Davis' credit, he absolutely looked the part today. Big, fast, and strong.
It shouldn't hurt his confidence to catch the game-winning TD in OT with a soaring jump like that.

Let's see if this starts the big mo for him.

Mariota actually looked really good this game. Offense seemed creative. Think things are rolling now, although more weapons would help. With Davis' target share of 25-30%, he is an easy every week start at this point.

He got open deep on their first drive and could have had a long TD but was overthrown. 

This is a fork in the road for Tenn. They can either feed their big, mean WR a lot more targets going forward. Or, they can go back to last year when he was largely ignored in this offense. Will Tenn rise to the occasion?

Does Davis line up in the slot often or his he outside mostly? Curious as he could draw Tre-White this week.
Someone who watches more Titans football than me should chime in here but from what I saw in little snippets the first month he’s been lined up all over. There was also camp buzz about him being moved all around.

This is a fork in the road for Tenn. They can either feed their big, mean WR a lot more targets going forward. Or, they can go back to last year when he was largely ignored in this offense. Will Tenn rise to the occasion?
40 targets in 4 games with Gabbert and Mariota with a numb arm (and with the outlier being 4 targets in a weird game script with Ramsey on him against Jax) seems to indicate that they want to feed the beast. 

My only concern about him is if Mariota doesn’t look good again like he has in the past.  Otherwise let’s get this party statred

I'm impressed by the guy.  Definite buy going forward.  Wish I'd been able to get more of him while the offense was struggling.

For some reason the 3 year rule has gone out the window. Probably thanks to guys like OBJ busting out of nowhere to dominate.

I still wouldn't take a 1st for him

Hard to grade him at all so far. The TEN offense has been a mess with injuries. It would be nice to just have a fair sample size to get an accurate read on where he is and what to expect of him going forward. I wonder if Mariota is going to flame out and we have to wait longer. 

It may have seemed like he was mainly used when TEN got down big to PHI, but the excellent Chris Harris shows why this isn't true, and also what potential Davis has this year, here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r06sF0Snr6Q&lc=z23dxnooiqyysliulacdp430jj0gjnwj1xpfqdaddm1w03c010c.1538777963626540

Crickets in here.  Is Davis a buy low candidate for dynasty or is the situation too much to overcome?
I think he has all the talent and if you can buy low on him definitely go for it.  Problem this year is Tennessee offense looks completely out of sync and needs some changes.  

Crickets in here.  Is Davis a buy low candidate for dynasty or is the situation too much to overcome?
Until the offense gets coached right, all Titans are garbage for FF. As far as Davis being capable and things transferring to the NFL- he seems all set. His route running is a lot better than last year. It's good now. As you know, NFL WRs need to be borderline OCD with their route running to become "great" but it's good now.

He uses his arms/strength this year a little bit. He's learning that translates. Titans haven't really put him in a spot to use it in weeks. They've run him on mostly slants and curls. With their lack of success, the CBs aren't pressing him anymore. We've seen it though. 

His sideline leap and boxout is good, could be great. The athleticism is evident. They also still don't have a GL lob play to him that they use in season but they did in camp, a lot. While only a 2nd year guy, I'd take my chances that he beats just about every CB on a lob.

I think he'll close out the year showing you enough. The OC has been real bad, but things may be clicking now. There has been at least 2 maybe 3 weeks where the WRs only got difficult catches to make. No rhythm, no anything and then just like "save the day and catch it." It's been very difficult for the young guys to show growth or development. 

Forced into usage this week, hoping the bye helped but not liking this. What does the matchup look like with the Dallas secondary?

Corey Davis (hamstring) will play in Week 9 against the Cowboys.

Davis was limited throughout the week but promptly removed from the team's injury report on Saturday. He'll be on the field, but he arguably has the toughest individual matchup on paper against Byron Jones, PFF's No. 2 CB among 117 qualifiers. Consider Davis a low-end WR2 in a six-team bye week.

Source: John Glennon on Twitter 

Nov 3 - 3:13 PM

One of these days, the young buck has to be able to get it done against top corners with regularity. It might be a (percentage wise) a nice play for DFS, but for FF he is not likely to do well against Byron Jones this week.

I think he has all the talent and if you can buy low on him definitely go for it.  Problem this year is Tennessee offense looks completely out of sync and needs some changes.  
As has been posted every year for the last decade. Very hard for me to buy unless it’s cheap, which I doubt. If next year starts bad his value is really going to tank.

As has been posted every year for the last decade. Very hard for me to buy unless it’s cheap, which I doubt. If next year starts bad his value is really going to tank.
Agree. At this point Davis still is holding good value without production due to the many excuses in regards to the offense. So I am at a crossroads...try to sell now and get something out of him or hold and hope he becomes what we saw one time this year (vs. PHI) more consistently. I do fear that he keeps disappearing and if it continues through the beginning of next year his value starts really deflating.

I'm confused.....were talking Corey Davis correct?  

Decades......he's been in the league for 1.5 seasons.  I don't know what you expect as it is rare for WRs to come into the league and dominate immediately with the exception of a few. 

For years I recall many articles and breakouts with WRs in thier 3rd season.  A few that come to the top of my head are Brandon Marshall, Hakeem Nick's, Demaryius Thomas etc. 

Way too early to abandon ship on Davis

Users who are viewing this thread