What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Jamaal Williams, NO (1 Viewer)

Any concerns about the matchup? The Browns are a pretty good run defense, plus in Cleveland. I'm not sure how much that matters considering JW's hot streak.

Any concerns about the matchup? The Browns are a pretty good run defense, plus in Cleveland. I'm not sure how much that matters considering JW's hot streak.
I have zero worries about the matchup. Browns run D was better early in the season, but hasn't been playing well lately. They've given up 100+ YFS to RBs in four of their last five (and the one exception was Abdullah, who put up 12/55/1)

My only concern is over workload. Haven't heard anything concrete all week about how it's expected to break down. I own both but am worried they'll end up destroying each other's value.

When you guys get done arguing who is right or wrong, do any of you remember if Jones got benched at one point due to poor pass protection.

Looks like it was about 3 weeks ago.

http://www.packershome.com/forum/posts/m386633-packers
Yeah it's well documented that Pass pro is one of his biggest weaknesses. Which is why I've said now I think 4 times that once Rodgers comes back I think Williams gets more time because of his ability to protect Rodgers. Next year is anyone's guess

I would be. But the volume may be there. Jones is healthier now, so there's him taking some carries too.

If I had him on my playoff team, I'd probably consider other options given the matchup and the questionmarks surrounding the distribution of carries as we don't know what the split will be. But it all depends on my other options. Most people who have Williams and have been starting him are probably not fully blessed at RB2. Not saying Williams is a bad start these last few weeks, but you certainly don't have a "set it and forget it" RB2. I would possibly consider benching but it all depends on what I had behind him. 

I have zero worries about the matchup. Browns run D was better early in the season, but hasn't been playing well lately. They've given up 100+ YFS to RBs in four of their last five (and the one exception was Abdullah, who put up 12/55/1)

My only concern is over workload. Haven't heard anything concrete all week about how it's expected to break down. I own both but am worried they'll end up destroying each other's value.
I had no idea. Thanks for this. 

In that case, I would probably play him. Williams has been working and the Packers need a win. Jones may get a few carries and may kill Williams' value a bit, but it all depends on your other options. I would have to have a pretty intriguing option behind Williams to bench him after his last few performances

Last edited by a moderator:
I had no idea. Thanks for this. 

In that case, I would probably play him. Williams has been working and the Packers need a win. Jones may get a few carries and may kill Williams' value a bit, but it all depends on your other options. I would have to have a pretty intriguing option behind Williams to bench him after his last few performances
Yeah, that's where I'm leaning. As a point of reference, I'd be starting him along with Collins and sitting Barber and DeMarco. I actually prefer Barber's match-up but have far more concerns about his workload. Even if both he and Jamaal are in timeshares, I would assume Williams is the one more likely to be on the positive end of that share. Bucs seem to have more invested (financially and psychologically) in Martin.

All that said, it would be nice if someone came out with a report detailing the Packers' thinking on this. It's been total crickets all week.

Yeah, that's where I'm leaning. As a point of reference, I'd be starting him along with Collins and sitting Barber and DeMarco. I actually prefer Barber's match-up but have far more concerns about his workload. Even if both he and Jamaal are in timeshares, I would assume Williams is the one more likely to be on the positive end of that share. Bucs seem to have more invested (financially and psychologically) in Martin.

All that said, it would be nice if someone came out with a report detailing the Packers' thinking on this. It's been total crickets all week.
I don't tihnk GB even knows what to do at this point. McCarthy is a deer in headlights and I think he's just hoping to survive until Rodgers gets back next week. I have reached out to a colleague who works within that organization to an extent to see what he might be hearing and there doesn't seem to be much more than what the rest of us know. What he can tell me is that Jones looks good to go health wise. 

This is a mess for any fantasy football owner for the ROS. Right now, logic says Williams has played well enough to continue to get the lion's share of the carries. But it could easily turn into some time share of each getting so many series or situational plays. Worst case scenario, IMO, Williams splits 60/40 with Jones. But I think that's unlikely. What we will probably see is 80/20 if I had to take a guess. Jones might be more involved in the passing game than Williams has been lately. GB has never been one to really go with RBBC, so history is on the side of Williams right now. 

I don't tihnk GB even knows what to do at this point. McCarthy is a deer in headlights and I think he's just hoping to survive until Rodgers gets back next week. I have reached out to a colleague who works within that organization to an extent to see what he might be hearing and there doesn't seem to be much more than what the rest of us know. What he can tell me is that Jones looks good to go health wise. 

This is a mess for any fantasy football owner for the ROS. Right now, logic says Williams has played well enough to continue to get the lion's share of the carries. But it could easily turn into some time share of each getting so many series or situational plays. Worst case scenario, IMO, Williams splits 60/40 with Jones. But I think that's unlikely. What we will probably see is 80/20 if I had to take a guess. Jones might be more involved in the passing game than Williams has been lately. GB has never been one to really go with RBBC, so history is on the side of Williams right now. 
Not with his pass protection woes. Heck freaking no.

Not with his pass protection woes. Heck freaking no.
Yeah, he's had issues, but I wouldn't call it "woes." Unless you have something specific. He did quite well when A-Rod was in. I distinctly remember him making a stellar block with Rodgers in, and Rodgers acknowledging that. It's not like he is absolutely terrible at pas pro. Williams is much better. And it's not like GB is winning games by throwing the ball these days. 

But, opinions are what they are. Regardless, I would feel okay starting Williams this week if I had him. 

Yeah, he's had issues, but I wouldn't call it "woes." Unless you have something specific. He did quite well when A-Rod was in. I distinctly remember him making a stellar block with Rodgers in, and Rodgers acknowledging that. It's not like he is absolutely terrible at pas pro. Williams is much better. And it's not like GB is winning games by throwing the ball these days. 

But, opinions are what they are. Regardless, I would feel okay starting Williams this week if I had him. 
Yeah Williams is the start this week. Then it could get murky. 

PFF rates all 3 of the GB backs as above average pass blockers this season, with Jones the best of the bunch. Though that's based on small sample sizes - just 26 pass blocking snaps for Jones, 27 for Williams, and 41 for Montgomery.

https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/Bolt/Green-Bay-Packers-coach-Mike-McCarthy-not-a-fan-of-switching-running-backs-during-games--111862239

“And what's interesting is Jones is listed as the No. 1 running back on the Packers latest depth chart while Williams is the backup.”

http://www.packers.com/team/depth-chart.html
Does this give anyone pause about starting Williams?  It does me.  Thats a depth chart as of December 5.  It was updated to put Jones at the top of the list.  Jordy over Adams is kind of irrelevant because they probably play 3-wide most of the time anyway (I am assuming, I dont know this).  

It woudl make little sense to me to bump Williams to the bench after the past few weeks, but seeing that does concern me.  I have him in over Mike Evans in one non-PPR, and Dion Lewis in another.  Marquise Lee in a PPR.  Thats the only 3 leagues I play in.  Would be a bummer if he got 7 carries for 12 yards playing as the backup.

Does this give anyone pause about starting Williams?  It does me.  Thats a depth chart as of December 5.  It was updated to put Jones at the top of the list.  Jordy over Adams is kind of irrelevant because they probably play 3-wide most of the time anyway (I am assuming, I dont know this).  

It woudl make little sense to me to bump Williams to the bench after the past few weeks, but seeing that does concern me.  I have him in over Mike Evans in one non-PPR, and Dion Lewis in another.  Marquise Lee in a PPR.  Thats the only 3 leagues I play in.  Would be a bummer if he got 7 carries for 12 yards playing as the backup.
I have a bye this week, for which I'm thankful, as I need to see this situation play out another week.  I have both Jones (who I've had all season) and Williams (who I picked up when he was cut during Jones time as the starter) and I wouldn't really care to start either.  I am hoping Williams keeps getting the majority of the work and that I can confidently start him next week, but I think we're going to see both get used, despite what their Head Coach is saying.  

ChuckLiddell said:

Any resolution here? I'm unsure if I can keep Williams in with the distinct possibility that Jones is going to end up with the majority of carries, but I can't start Jones either.

BREAKING NEWS

It was just announced that Browns NT Danny Shelton is INACTIVE for today's game. 

Shelton is an anchor against the run so it 'could' open up some inside runs and allow the center and guards to get to the second level of the Browns defense and 'possibly' open up a long run or two.. 

Any resolution here? I'm unsure if I can keep Williams in with the distinct possibility that Jones is going to end up with the majority of carries, but I can't start Jones either.
I think you have to roll out Williams if your other options are worse. I don’t think you’ll know anything until the first carry happens.

I think you have to roll out Williams if your other options are worse. I don’t think you’ll know anything until the first carry happens.
Starting him over DeMarco. Lets not forget Jones was fully healthy and active last week and got one carry

He's gotten 20 touches in 4 straight games, he's been very productive, and the Packers are 2-2 (and nearly another win in Pitt).  That's a big accomplishment with Hundley at QB.  I would be shocked if the Packers reversed course and gave Williams anything less than 15 touches.

https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/Bolt/Green-Bay-Packers-coach-Mike-McCarthy-not-a-fan-of-switching-running-backs-during-games--111862239

“And what's interesting is Jones is listed as the No. 1 running back on the Packers latest depth chart while Williams is the backup.”

http://www.packers.com/team/depth-chart.html
This seems to be the plan?

McCarthy went on to say it's best to switch running backs based on the personnel group. And he believes there are close to doing that with Williams and Jones.

i would expect Williams to get most of the work simply because he’s playing well and has been and Jones to come in with some personnel groups

Man, Jamaal Williams made a nice reception for TD and I really can't wait to see how he fares with Aaron Rodgers when he returns to the action. 

Bojang0301 said:
Thanks fot convincing me to keep him in over Diggs

Annoyed I cut bait on him earlier this year.  Funny how fast things change, couple months ago he was considered a terrible runner.  

It looked like Jones went the wrong way on a 4th down running play and then didn't see the field much (at all?) after that.

He's doing tthis without Rodgers too, who will be back next week.  We may have another dynasty stud on our hands here. 

I somehow got him at pick 24 overall in a rookie draft.  Had him targeted at the end of the first and he fell that far. Thanks Waldman. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I traded for him Week 3. Traded for the entire GB backfield, was right before Ty went down and Jones had his breakout game.

Williams was an afterthought, still a "plodder" by most at that time. Guy I was trading with was gonna just cut him and I was gonna take Ty and the handcuff Jones. I was like.....Know what? Why don't I just take em all. He's like sure.

TL;DR: Got this dude for free.

OK, so now we know he has the RB1 job locked up, but is it overthinking things to worry about his next two matchups? Carolina and Minny both have strong run Ds. The way you attack those teams is through the air, and the Packers just happen to have a guy coming back from IR who's capable of doing just that.

Still can't see benching him (my other options are DeMarco and Kerwyn Williams), but it is something to keep an eye on.

Rodgers will probably make him less valuable. He loathes handing the ball off near the goal line. 
STOP! You're giving me PTSD flashbacks to the year I owned James Starks!

Packers would have first and goal at the 1 and he wouldn't even be on the field.

STOP! You're giving me PTSD flashbacks to the year I owned James Starks!

Packers would have first and goal at the 1 and he wouldn't even be on the field.
Which is kind of funny because here I am a Packer fan watching other teams inside the 5 and I'm all frustrated because they have 3 TEs on the field and my WR is on the bench! 

Used to the spread inside the 5 I guess :lol:  

Jamaal Williams played 50-of-76 (66 percent) snaps Week 14 against the Browns.

Aaron Jones only played eight a week after being out-snapped 48-to-2 by Williams. Even with Jones healthy, this is very clearly Williams' backfield, and that role should only become more valuable with Aaron Rodgers expected to return this week. Even in a tough matchup against the Panthers, Williams will be an upside RB2.

Truth be told, this was how things seemed like they were headed early in the season when Montgomery got hurt/didn't seem to be feature back material. Williams was the next man up, and Jones only assumed the reins when Williams himself went down. And now back to Williams once Jones got hurt himself.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/aaron-rodgers-injury-update-return-packers-offense-jamaal-williams-davante-adams/3g1hvychyddj1sdq9a6ca8whc

— Running back Jamaal Williams' emergence to backfield dominance

Williams has taken the flashes of Ty Montgomery earlier in the season and fellow rookie Aaron Jones in the middle of the season and put them all together as a more complete feature package. Since scoring at the end of the Lions game on his only carry, Williams has been unleashed as a workhorse back, averaging just fewer than 23 touches over his past five games.

The rushing yards haven't been easy to grind out, given defenses were stacking up to stop the run and forcing Hundley to pass. But Williams has compensated with an amazing impact as an outlet receiver.
Disclaimer: I have no interests in reviving prior condescending discussion on who is clearly better back between Williams and Aaron Jones.  This is intended for your information regarding Aaron Rodgers' return and its impact on Packers' whole offense. 

Tough matchup, but how do you sit the 2nd best RB over the last few weeks?

I don't see how Rodger's return is a bump for Williams though. 

Tough matchup, but how do you sit the 2nd best RB over the last few weeks?

I don't see how Rodger's return is a bump for Williams though. 
In theory, it should get the defenses out of the box.  In reality, can we really expect him to post better numbers than he did with Hundley?  He was a set it and forget it for the past few weeks.  Be great if Rodgers coming back just keeps him the same, although in theory...

I expect him to get 20+ carries in order to limit the number of times Rodgers needs to drop back this weekend.  But the goalline is where things will change.  I doubt he will get 3 straight carries from the 1 yard line like last weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread