Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Dynasty Watch - Chris Godwin WR Tampa Bay

pghrob

1 hour ago, Capella said:

I’m not sure it does. They were never going to franchise Shaq a second time. 

They'll need multiple restructures to fit them both in.  But, fingers crossed. 

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Chris Godwin's franchise tag will serve as a "placeholder" until they can agree to a long-term contract.

The Buccaneers smartly prioritized their stud slot receiver this offseason and were never going to let him walk in free agency. With other contracts needed to be ironed out, Godwin gets stuck with the franchise tag for now, but Rapoport believes a long-term contract is the end goal for both parties. It's possible that Tom Brady will have all of his weapons (possibly minus Leonard Fournette) back in 2021 as free agents Antonio Brown and Rob Gronkowski seem likely to re-sign. Godwin, 25, was an up-and-down WR2/3 in fantasy circles while dealing with leg injuries last season. He averaged 14.6 PPR points in healthy games.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Mar 9, 2021, 7:40 PM ET

• 2 months later...

I think he's going to be a massive value pick.  FBG has him at WR15.  And I'm not saying that's bad/wrong/egregious.  But he was going as WR6 this time last year.  His 12 game stats extrapolated out come out to 86 Receptions, 1120 yards and 9 TD.  In PPR formats, that would have been WR11.  Just behind Theilen and just ahead of Evans.  

I think he's a guy VERY likely to finish as a WR1 that you'll get as a WR2.

36 minutes ago, jm192 said:

I think he's going to be a massive value pick.  FBG has him at WR15.  And I'm not saying that's bad/wrong/egregious.  But he was going as WR6 this time last year.  His 12 game stats extrapolated out come out to 86 Receptions, 1120 yards and 9 TD.  In PPR formats, that would have been WR11.  Just behind Theilen and just ahead of Evans.  

I think he's a guy VERY likely to finish as a WR1 that you'll get as a WR2.

I guess I’m more worried about his week to week consistency than I am about his final totals.  He might end up a WR1, but will he be a guy you start without second guessing a little?

33 minutes ago, Hoh said:

I guess I’m more worried about his week to week consistency than I am about his final totals.  He might end up a WR1, but will he be a guy you start without second guessing a little?

That depends on whether you've taken him as your WR1 or your WR2.  I'll gladly settle for the bust weeks when his booms are #1 overall.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoh said:

He was such a stud 2 years ago.  This season we see a new QB, injuries, etc.  He was still on pace to finish as WR11.  

I had him in just about every league in 2019 and he won me a lot of leagues.  I don't remember thinking consistency was an issue.  With his health back and a 2nd year with Brady, I think consistency should be fine.  

As @tangfoot pointed out--his up weeks are going to have a very high ceiling.  

I know everyone is looking at Brady as if he's superman, and he may very well be superman, but that cliff is right at his feet and he could slip at anytime.  When it does happen I don't want to be anywhere near their fantasy players.  Maybe Kyle Trask is Batman?

• Laughing 1

Posted (edited)

Betting on Father Time vs Tom Brady has been an exceptionally bad move for the past 10 years. 

I’m not betting against Brady this season

Edited by tangfoot
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, JohnnyU said:

I know everyone is looking at Brady as if he's superman, and he may very well be superman, but that cliff is right at his feet and he could slip at anytime.  When it does happen I don't want to be anywhere near their fantasy players.  Maybe Kyle Trask is Batman?

I remember Max Kellerman saying that like 4 years ago haha 

4 minutes ago, tangfoot said:

I’m not betting against Brady this season

This is the first season in the last 5 years ago I'm not betting against Brady, he just keeps proving everyone wrong. But that proverbial brick wall is looming, so unless he's got an Infinity Stone or something he has to hit it sometime. 

• 1 month later...

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports there is "nothing imminent" between the Buccaneers and franchise-tagged WR Chris Godwin as it pertains to a long-term deal prior to next week's deadline.

"Nothing imminent on that front," Pelissero noted. An ascending 25-year-old talent due $15.983 million on the franchise tag this year, Godwin is still a player of interest for GM Jason Licht to lock down long-term even if the two sides can't strike a deal by the Thursday, July 15 deadline. He's still fully expected to report to training camp and start alongside Mike Evans and Antonio Brown after averaging a team-high 19.3% target share in the 11 games he played with those two last year.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Jul 9, 2021, 3:54 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Bucs and franchise player WR Chris Godwin are "not expected to reach a long-term extension" before Thursday's deadline.

The franchise tag was expected to serve as a "placeholder" when it was applied in March, but the two sides have been unable to come to an agreement. Godwin will bring in a guaranteed $15.983 million on the tag this year and take a swing at free agency as a 26-year-old next offseason. Godwin's counting stats took a step back last season with Tom Brady under center, and he also missed four games to injury. Godwin will look to improve on his 65-840-7 line from a year ago. He's being drafted as the WR17 right now.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Jul 14, 2021, 6:11 PM ET

2 hours ago, Grahamburn said:

Chris Godwin, Guest Writer

If you didn’t like Chris Godwin before reading this, you will after. 

Great read. It is always great hearing player perspective on the game and life. It helps “humanize” the players from a fan standpoint and I wish there were more players sharing pieces like this. Chris has an interesting last point pertaining to FF that is a good reminder for us playing this game IMO. These guys are humans just like us. Well…slightly more talented athletically maybe 😁

10. I think fantasy football was a nice way to get fans more invested in teams/players that may not be on their favorite team, but far too often it seems like it’s caused fans to see players as objects in a game and not people. For example, if a guy has a season-ending injury, someone who has him on fantasy is pissed because that hurts their chances of winning their league. But they don’t realize the player who was injured will still be injured and going through a tough recovery process whenever their fantasy season is done. They don’t realize that for the rest of the year, that player can’t do what he does to provide for his family. They don’t even consider the emotional toll that injuries take on players. Before we were professional athletes, we were people just like everyone else, and we will always be people just like everyone else. Please consider that next time you play fantasy football.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, King of the Jungle said:

Great read. It is always great hearing player perspective on the game and life. It helps “humanize” the players from a fan standpoint and I wish there were more players sharing pieces like this. Chris has an interesting last point pertaining to FF that is a good reminder for us playing this game IMO. These guys are humans just like us. Well…slightly more talented athletically maybe 😁

10. I think fantasy football was a nice way to get fans more invested in teams/players that may not be on their favorite team, but far too often it seems like it’s caused fans to see players as objects in a game and not people. For example, if a guy has a season-ending injury, someone who has him on fantasy is pissed because that hurts their chances of winning their league. But they don’t realize the player who was injured will still be injured and going through a tough recovery process whenever their fantasy season is done. They don’t realize that for the rest of the year, that player can’t do what he does to provide for his family. They don’t even consider the emotional toll that injuries take on players. Before we were professional athletes, we were people just like everyone else, and we will always be people just like everyone else. Please consider that next time you play fantasy football.

I also feel like a took a valuable lesson out of his story. I don’t HAVE to do anything. I GET to do everything.

Very good read. Love the last part about fantasy football. I sometimes see people dehumanizing these guys on the boards and on Twitter and I think, "Boy, these people are really missing the point of all this." Or thinking, "That's not only gauche, but cruel."

Rotisserie, before it became subject to wager and high-stakes and all that, was to have fun with our own knowledge of the game and to get to learn the sport and its players. I can't tell you guys how much I've learned about football in my last ten years of playing fantasy and being on these boards. I've learned so much, and it's nothing but by grace that I am able to be here to do it and to feel good about my participation in it. Hopefully I never dehumanize guys, or see them as assets in a portfolio, or anything like that. I know one has to speak the language to keep up with and appear serious as a fantasy footballer, but there are times to just step back and recognize the humanity of the players that we cheer on because of our stupid rotisserie teams.

It's a blessing, all of this, and I think Godwin nailed it. It further cements him as one of my favorite football players.

Edited by rockaction
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, BobbyLayne said:

He was the WR2 in 2019 in all formats, but rn I love looking at the Top 4 in PPR from that year bc it’s a reminder of the WR value you can find after R2: Mike Thomas, Godwin, Julio, Kupp. 

Or it's a warning that things move FAST and last year's studs are potentially now WR3s.