What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty Watch - Chris Godwin WR Tampa Bay (1 Viewer)

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Chris Godwin's franchise tag will serve as a "placeholder" until they can agree to a long-term contract.

The Buccaneers smartly prioritized their stud slot receiver this offseason and were never going to let him walk in free agency. With other contracts needed to be ironed out, Godwin gets stuck with the franchise tag for now, but Rapoport believes a long-term contract is the end goal for both parties. It's possible that Tom Brady will have all of his weapons (possibly minus Leonard Fournette) back in 2021 as free agents Antonio Brown and Rob Gronkowski seem likely to re-sign. Godwin, 25, was an up-and-down WR2/3 in fantasy circles while dealing with leg injuries last season. He averaged 14.6 PPR points in healthy games.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Mar 9, 2021, 7:40 PM ET

I think he's going to be a massive value pick.  FBG has him at WR15.  And I'm not saying that's bad/wrong/egregious.  But he was going as WR6 this time last year.  His 12 game stats extrapolated out come out to 86 Receptions, 1120 yards and 9 TD.  In PPR formats, that would have been WR11.  Just behind Theilen and just ahead of Evans.  

I think he's a guy VERY likely to finish as a WR1 that you'll get as a WR2.

I think he's going to be a massive value pick.  FBG has him at WR15.  And I'm not saying that's bad/wrong/egregious.  But he was going as WR6 this time last year.  His 12 game stats extrapolated out come out to 86 Receptions, 1120 yards and 9 TD.  In PPR formats, that would have been WR11.  Just behind Theilen and just ahead of Evans.  

I think he's a guy VERY likely to finish as a WR1 that you'll get as a WR2.
I guess I’m more worried about his week to week consistency than I am about his final totals.  He might end up a WR1, but will he be a guy you start without second guessing a little?

I guess I’m more worried about his week to week consistency than I am about his final totals.  He might end up a WR1, but will he be a guy you start without second guessing a little?
That depends on whether you've taken him as your WR1 or your WR2.  I'll gladly settle for the bust weeks when his booms are #1 overall.

He was such a stud 2 years ago.  This season we see a new QB, injuries, etc.  He was still on pace to finish as WR11.  

I had him in just about every league in 2019 and he won me a lot of leagues.  I don't remember thinking consistency was an issue.  With his health back and a 2nd year with Brady, I think consistency should be fine.  

As @tangfoot pointed out--his up weeks are going to have a very high ceiling.  

I know everyone is looking at Brady as if he's superman, and he may very well be superman, but that cliff is right at his feet and he could slip at anytime.  When it does happen I don't want to be anywhere near their fantasy players.  Maybe Kyle Trask is Batman?

I know everyone is looking at Brady as if he's superman, and he may very well be superman, but that cliff is right at his feet and he could slip at anytime.  When it does happen I don't want to be anywhere near their fantasy players.  Maybe Kyle Trask is Batman?
I remember Max Kellerman saying that like 4 years ago haha 

I’m not betting against Brady this season
This is the first season in the last 5 years ago I'm not betting against Brady, he just keeps proving everyone wrong. But that proverbial brick wall is looming, so unless he's got an Infinity Stone or something he has to hit it sometime. 

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports there is "nothing imminent" between the Buccaneers and franchise-tagged WR Chris Godwin as it pertains to a long-term deal prior to next week's deadline.

"Nothing imminent on that front," Pelissero noted. An ascending 25-year-old talent due $15.983 million on the franchise tag this year, Godwin is still a player of interest for GM Jason Licht to lock down long-term even if the two sides can't strike a deal by the Thursday, July 15 deadline. He's still fully expected to report to training camp and start alongside Mike Evans and Antonio Brown after averaging a team-high 19.3% target share in the 11 games he played with those two last year.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Jul 9, 2021, 3:54 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Bucs and franchise player WR Chris Godwin are "not expected to reach a long-term extension" before Thursday's deadline.

The franchise tag was expected to serve as a "placeholder" when it was applied in March, but the two sides have been unable to come to an agreement. Godwin will bring in a guaranteed $15.983 million on the tag this year and take a swing at free agency as a 26-year-old next offseason. Godwin's counting stats took a step back last season with Tom Brady under center, and he also missed four games to injury. Godwin will look to improve on his 65-840-7 line from a year ago. He's being drafted as the WR17 right now.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Jul 14, 2021, 6:11 PM ET

Chris Godwin, Guest Writer

If you didn’t like Chris Godwin before reading this, you will after. 
Great read. It is always great hearing player perspective on the game and life. It helps “humanize” the players from a fan standpoint and I wish there were more players sharing pieces like this. Chris has an interesting last point pertaining to FF that is a good reminder for us playing this game IMO. These guys are humans just like us. Well…slightly more talented athletically maybe 😁

10. I think fantasy football was a nice way to get fans more invested in teams/players that may not be on their favorite team, but far too often it seems like it’s caused fans to see players as objects in a game and not people. For example, if a guy has a season-ending injury, someone who has him on fantasy is pissed because that hurts their chances of winning their league. But they don’t realize the player who was injured will still be injured and going through a tough recovery process whenever their fantasy season is done. They don’t realize that for the rest of the year, that player can’t do what he does to provide for his family. They don’t even consider the emotional toll that injuries take on players. Before we were professional athletes, we were people just like everyone else, and we will always be people just like everyone else. Please consider that next time you play fantasy football.

Great read. It is always great hearing player perspective on the game and life. It helps “humanize” the players from a fan standpoint and I wish there were more players sharing pieces like this. Chris has an interesting last point pertaining to FF that is a good reminder for us playing this game IMO. These guys are humans just like us. Well…slightly more talented athletically maybe 😁

10. I think fantasy football was a nice way to get fans more invested in teams/players that may not be on their favorite team, but far too often it seems like it’s caused fans to see players as objects in a game and not people. For example, if a guy has a season-ending injury, someone who has him on fantasy is pissed because that hurts their chances of winning their league. But they don’t realize the player who was injured will still be injured and going through a tough recovery process whenever their fantasy season is done. They don’t realize that for the rest of the year, that player can’t do what he does to provide for his family. They don’t even consider the emotional toll that injuries take on players. Before we were professional athletes, we were people just like everyone else, and we will always be people just like everyone else. Please consider that next time you play fantasy football.
I also feel like a took a valuable lesson out of his story. I don’t HAVE to do anything. I GET to do everything.

Very good read. Love the last part about fantasy football. I sometimes see people dehumanizing these guys on the boards and on Twitter and I think, "Boy, these people are really missing the point of all this." Or thinking, "That's not only gauche, but cruel."

Rotisserie, before it became subject to wager and high-stakes and all that, was to have fun with our own knowledge of the game and to get to learn the sport and its players. I can't tell you guys how much I've learned about football in my last ten years of playing fantasy and being on these boards. I've learned so much, and it's nothing but by grace that I am able to be here to do it and to feel good about my participation in it. Hopefully I never dehumanize guys, or see them as assets in a portfolio, or anything like that. I know one has to speak the language to keep up with and appear serious as a fantasy footballer, but there are times to just step back and recognize the humanity of the players that we cheer on because of our stupid rotisserie teams.

It's a blessing, all of this, and I think Godwin nailed it. It further cements him as one of my favorite football players.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great article!

He put up 65 / 840 / 7 in 12 games while playing through multiple injuries on an offense that was trying to figure themselves out for a lot of the season.

I think he’s in for a big bounce back year. 

Last edited by a moderator:
He was the WR2 in 2019 in all formats, but rn I love looking at the Top 4 in PPR from that year bc it’s a reminder of the WR value you can find after R2: Mike Thomas, Godwin, Julio, Kupp. 

He was the WR2 in 2019 in all formats, but rn I love looking at the Top 4 in PPR from that year bc it’s a reminder of the WR value you can find after R2: Mike Thomas, Godwin, Julio, Kupp. 
Or it's a warning that things move FAST and last year's studs are potentially now WR3s.

Chris Godwin (quad) was "limited" in Tuesday's practice.

This is the first anyone has heard of Godwin's quad injury and it's particularly concerning because the Bucs play the Cowboys on Thursday night. Godwin was plagued by injuries last year but still finished 15th among receivers in fantasy points per game. As a dominant player on the outside and in the slot, he profiles as the ideal receiver for Tom Brady. A limited practice still makes it more likely than not that he plays in Week 1 but his situation is one to monitor. If he is sidelined, Mike Evans will be locked in as a WR1 to start the year and Antonio Brown would immediately gain WR2 status. 

SOURCE: Greg Auman on Twitter

Sep 7, 2021, 3:40 PM ET

what’s the thievery if they are really close in ADP? 

We are just one season removed from Godwin being overall #2 in fantasy at WR. Most forget that.

As much as I like Lockett, he is starting to get older, and he has an absolute beast there in DK Metcalf playing at a very high level.

Godwin fits the Tom Brady bill to a T.   Lines up in the slot, OR can line up out wide, and is a monster after the catch. Could be an absolute target hoover near the line of scrimmage.  Will he spread it around?  Sure.  But I don't think Godwin gets neglected in anyway shape or form.

I don't think its close tbh.

TZM

Chris Godwin caught 9-of-14 targets for 105 yards and a touchdown in the Bucs' Week 1 win over the Cowboys, also losing a fumble. 

Godwin's goal-line cough up was nearly a game coster in the fourth quarter, while he has also failed to haul in a fourth quarter bomb that would have gone in the books as a 46-yard touchdown. It was not an easy ball to track, but it was the sort of reception he usually makes. Nevertheless, both Godwin's grabs and targets led the team, though Antonio Brown took the yardage crown with 121, while Rob Gronkowski found the end zone twice. For Godwin's five-yard score in the first quarter, he went in motion before the snap and easily freed himself over the middle of the field. AB and Mike Evans' presence will make for some inconsistency, but Godwin is simply too good of a fit with Tom Brady's skill-set to fall out of the top 18 in fantasy. The Falcons' pathetic defense is on deck for Week 2.

Chris Godwin caught six of seven targets for 74 yards in the Bucs' Week 3 loss to the Rams, adding one rush for a two yard touchdown. 

Godwin recorded half of his six catches in garbage time against the Rams. He got into the end zone early in the game on a reverse near the goal line. It was a fairly disappointing performance for Godwin with Antonio Brown (COVID) sidelined, as Mike Evans led the Bucs with ten targets from Tom Brady. In Week 4 against New England, Godwin will be a high-floor PPR option even with Brown's expected return.

Chris Godwin (foot) did not practice Wednesday.

Bucs coach Bruce Arians added it's "wait and see" for his status on Sunday. The foot injury is a new issue for Godwin as the veteran receiver hasn't even been listed on the injury report since Week 6. His status will need monitored heading into Tampa Bay's matchup with the Football Team. If he does miss Week 10, Mike Evans could emerge as the only healthy receiver for one of the league's best passing attacks. He would immediately jump into the top end of the WR1 range if that's the case.

SOURCE: PewterReport on Twitter

Nov 10, 2021, 1:11 PM ET

Anyone see any intelligence on this foot issue?

Odd coming out of a bye week. Did he drop a dumbell on his foot?

Came out of the bye drooling about this matchup minus AB and Gronk and now there seems to be an ominous vibe about his injury. Rumors he's not even in the building...DNP again today.

Anyone see any intelligence on this foot issue?

Odd coming out of a bye week. Did he drop a dumbell on his foot?

Came out of the bye drooling about this matchup minus AB and Gronk and now there seems to be an ominous vibe about his injury. Rumors he's not even in the building...DNP again today.
Arians said today that they are keeping him off the foot, and will test it Friday. 

Pretty decent chance the top-3 WRs this week are Evans, Johnson, and either Darden or maybe Miller. 

Bucs head coach Bruce Arians said Chris Godwin (foot) will be a game time decision in Week 10 against the Football Team. 

Tyler Johnson could see significant snaps as Tom Brady's primary slot receiver if Godwin joins Antonio Brown (ankle) on the sideline this week. Johnson would have intriguing PPR value. Mike Evans would certainly see a target bump with Godwin inactive. Scotty Millers is back from injured reserve and should see decent run against a shoddy Washington secondary if Godwin is held out. 

RELATED: 

Mike Evans

, Tyler Johnson

, Scotty Miller

SOURCE: Rick Stroud on Twitter 

Nov 12, 2021, 11:08 AM ET

CHRIS GODWINWR, TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS

The Athletic's Greg Auman reports the Buccaneers "expect" Chris Godwin (foot) to play in Week 10 against Washington.

CHRIS GODWINWR, TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS

The Athletic's Greg Auman reports the Buccaneers "expect" Chris Godwin (foot) to play in Week 10 against Washington.

So are we starting him? Or are we spooked?

Wish there was more to go on.

No AB. No Gronk. Incredible matchup against WASH. If he's active, hard to sit.

Could pivot to M. Ingram, but minus any "on a pitch count" or other negative soundbite will probably roll with him.

So are we starting him? Or are we spooked?

Wish there was more to go on.

No AB. No Gronk. Incredible matchup against WASH. If he's active, hard to sit.

Could pivot to M. Ingram, but minus any "on a pitch count" or other negative soundbite will probably roll with him.
Washington has the worst pass defense in the league. If he plays you HAVE to start him IMO 

Rick Stroud

@NFLSTROUD

Confirming multiple reports that #GoBucs WR Chris Godwin is expected to play today. He did not practice until Friday due to a foot injury. Big break for #Bucs with Antonio Brown out.

@gregauman

had it first.

Users who are viewing this thread