What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Ronald Jones, Cowboys (2 Viewers)

I was able to trade Jones and not do too bad. I have him in another league, but I doubt I'll be able to move him. Barber looks like an NFL starter. He did last year as well. The Bucs like to throw 2nd round picks away, it seems.

I drafted Barber in one of my leagues and Jones went undrafted. I considered taking him, but at this point I'd rather just not bother.  If he takes over the job, I'll just cut Barber and get out of the TB backfield entirely.

According to his magazine it was a steal. They had him as a 4th rounder.
I miss having. 4 of those dudes in my leagues - magazines published 3 months before, sometimes picked up while driving to the draft. :lol:  

now everyone shows up with laptops & demands my WiFi password. I’m tempted to create a second, slower network for them just to maintain my competitive advantage. 

Takes all the fun out of it when no one’s drafting hurt players. Who am I supposed to mock for their fooloshness? :(  

I miss having. 4 of those dudes in my leagues - magazines published 3 months before, sometimes picked up while driving to the draft. :lol:  

now everyone shows up with laptops & demands my WiFi password. I’m tempted to create a second, slower network for them just to maintain my competitive advantage. 

Takes all the fun out of it when no one’s drafting hurt players. Who am I supposed to mock for their fooloshness? :(  
Maybe I’ll have an opening. Guy in my league, while we are all drafting online, in redraft mind you, took guice in the 3rd. Not autopicked. I hadn’t stopped laughing yet when he took Jordan Wilkins in the 4th. I swear he watched Mack get hurt and pulled the trigger, or maybe he just reaaaaaaaaaly like Wilkins.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe I’ll have an opening. Guy in my league, while we are all drafting online, in redraft mind you, took guice in the 3rd. Not autopicked. I hadn’t stopped laughing yet when he took Jordan Wilkins in the 4th. I swear he watched Mack get hurt and pulled the trigger, or maybe he just reaaaaaaaaaly like Wilkins.
Damn. That’s just.....damn. :doh:  

Was he drunk and thought it was a rookie draft only and thought he was at one of his dynasty drafts?

https://youtu.be/exKrnKfj6lQ

1. Rock solid blocking there. :bag:

Agreed. 2 defenders playing in the backfield by the time he gets the ball.
2. 0:05. Looks like he runs the play called with no vision. That should have been bounced outside. But he did fight for good yardage.

I am not sure I agree with this. I would need to see the back side of the play to be sure. It looks like 52 Payne gets contain on the outside and is unblocked until Jones takes it to the inside crease.

3. 0:11. Made 1st guy miss 2-3 yards deep in the backfield, made 2nd guy miss as well.

Wasn't much yards, but a productive run made out of nothing.

4. 0:18. OMG. The OL with long hair is gawd awful and that wasn't even the guy who let the blitzer thru. Hit the instant he got the handoff.

Not much a RB could do here. The Falcons are playing their safeties close to the LOS and they are blitzing.

5. Just trying to get out of the endzone.

Yep,

6. 0:29. Another one that should have been bounced outside. Saw one of the later RBs do exactly that when the hole wasn't there.

I watched this one a few times on half speed. Again I would like to see the backside angle to be sure, but from what I see Jones cuts upfield outside of the RT block. The LB scrapes to the hole from inside just as he does, and another LB knifing inside is able to trip him up from behind as he makes contact with the other LB as he is being tripped up. Maybe if he isn't being tripped from behind he could make a cut to the outside as the LB arrives, but he is being tripped so hard to cut when that is happening. I am not seeing the vision error that you describe.

7. 0:34. Just ran into the pile like he's Lamar Miller and fell down. The run was to the left around the OL. Once again, I think he's just unning what is called.

There was only one receiver on the field, TB is in a big set with extra TE and a FB. All 10 defenders are near the LOS before the snap. Yeah he runs into the back of his blockers who get beat on the left side as the defense has sniffed the play out.

8. 0:37. Ok run on pitch outside.

Jones actually has some room to maneuver here and he presses the run to the outside to help him get the edge for a few extra yards.

9. 0:46. Nothing there as DL had pushed the doofus with long hair, 2 yards back into the backfield. Man, that guy sucks.

I agree. 82 falls on the ground and so two other defenders go unblocked, the LB making the play on Jones.

10. Fairly good run.

Once again the lineman with the long hair gets stood up at the LOS. Jones was able to cut behind him and get in there for a yard before contact then fights for extra yardage, but not much to work with on this play.

Still when he's in there during the regular season it's flashing RUN until he can pass block and catch.
I agree they need to establish the pass with Jones to keep defenses honest.

Please don't forget that in preseason teams are running vanila scheme for the most part, so things will be different once the regular season begins.

Something tells me that guy doesn't play dynasty.
So I’ve beem in a league with this guy for probably 8 years or so, and while I’m never too worried about him as a manager he generally has a clue. We did in fact have a dynasty league for several years until the bottom teams realized they sucked and complained and wanted it to go back to redraft. That league lost some people and dissolved. I really have no idea, we were drafting on espn so it’s not like you can’t click on guice and see that he’s out for the year. $100 league too, not like your throwing a twenty at it and walking away. 

Whelp, he’s being dropped in my redrafts. I didn’t purposely avoid him this offseason but had him ranked lower than consensus. That being said I’m putting him at the end of my bench as a free square to start off the season. 

I may just cut this bum. What a disaster of a #3 pick. Should have gone with my gut and picked Royce Freeman.

I'm sure he'll get a chance into next season, but feels like he's a hop skip and a jump from being cut in real life.

Ronald Jones was dreadful during the preseason and has been inactive until this point in the regular season. He is expected to be active today with the other RBs not showing much at all. Worth a speculative add knowing down the road he could get carries? No intentions of starting him today or anytime soon.

Ronald Jones was dreadful during the preseason and has been inactive until this point in the regular season. He is expected to be active today with the other RBs not showing much at all. Worth a speculative add knowing down the road he could get carries? No intentions of starting him today or anytime soon.
If you have room I would stash him. 

Would have to drop Callaway but I have more than enough WRs on my roster and would need the RB more than WR depth.
Def wouldn’t do that considering player vs player but if you have the depth not an awful idea. 

Ive watched his college highlights multiple times and have to think the talent will at least present opportunity at some point. Hoping this period of inactivity got his head right. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Debating on dropping Barber for him, I don't think it will be an improvement, Jones's unknown status has more value that what Barber has done so far.

Debating on dropping Barber for him, I don't think it will be an improvement, Jones's unknown status has more value that what Barber has done so far.
Barber was unofficially useless until today. Now it's official. They might as well keep playing Jones.

He had an awful drop every time they throw the ball to him. 
FIFY

oven mitts for hands. That somehow stood out as even worse than his less than 1 YPC average.

Barber actually looked really good in the preseason, won the starting job, and the Bucs don’t use him at all - and when they do they don’t block for ####.

And even when they’d try to establish the run, that’s short lived because the defense is so awful they abandon any pretense of a balanced offense. 

Tampa Bay is just a hot mess. Today against a ferocious Chicago defense certainly isn’t the norm, but TB has a lot of work to do. 

Ronald Jones - RB -  Buccaneers

Ronald Jones handled 10 carries for 29 yards in the Bucs' Week 4 loss to the Bears.

It was the rookie's regular season debut. With Tampa Bay trailing 38-3 at the half, Jones and teammate Peyton Barber never stood a chance on the ground. One positive takeaway is that Jones out-touched Barber 11-8 and led the Buccaneers in rushing yards (29). He'll likely be the first man up when the Bucs return from their Week 5 bye.

Sep 30 - 11:07 PM

Ronald Jones played 20-of-63 snaps (32 percent) Week 4 against the Bears.

The total was 11 fewer than Peyton Barber, but the rookie out-touched Barber 11-8 and led the team in rushing, albeit with a measly 29 yards. Barber has not shown much of anything over the first month, so it would not be surprising if Jones emerges from the bye week as the lead back.

Oct 1 - 9:44 AM

Too early to call a 21 year old a wasted pick
While I agree with this and I still have some hope that the light might switch on for him at some point and he starts looking like the player he did in college, I don't think he has looked good at the NFL level yet.

Compared to the other rookie RB so far Jones seems to have the most bust risk.

I’m really tempted to try and buy him this weekend before the game. Situation is good, Barber certainly isn’t keeping him off the field. His college highlights are on point. But man, whatever happened this preseason and through training camp sounds so strange. 

I picked this guy up before the bye, holding him in place of picking up a kicker to cover this bye week. Hopefully he makes a strong showing 

I’m really tempted to try and buy him this weekend before the game. Situation is good, Barber certainly isn’t keeping him off the field. His college highlights are on point. But man, whatever happened this preseason and through training camp sounds so strange. 
If I'm the coach, and it's preseason, and I have a rookie RB that I want to get going, I give him the ball. If he gets negative yards, give him the ball again. And again, and again. Eventually he'll break a long one and that one run can give him the confidence he needs to succeed at the position. You can't develop a player by basically punishing him for being behind when you don't give him the chance to be up to speed. 

If I'm the coach, and it's preseason, and I have a rookie RB that I want to get going, I give him the ball. If he gets negative yards, give him the ball again. And again, and again. Eventually he'll break a long one and that one run can give him the confidence he needs to succeed at the position. You can't develop a player by basically punishing him for being behind when you don't give him the chance to be up to speed. 
He did give him the ball. He did nothing with it. He also dropped several passes along with another in his first live game action. He’s also not an accomplished blocking back. 

As of now it looks like another awful second round pick. There isn’t much use for a RB in today’s NFL who can’t catch the ball or block anyone. 

There are other players on the team trying to win jobs.

That is exactly what the Bucs did. 

He averaged less than 1 yard per carry, dropped pretty much every pass thrown his way & was terrible in pass protection 

If dude cant block/protect the QB, dude won’t be out there on 3rd regardless. 

If dude can’t make his reads & gets stuffed every run, dude won’t be out there on 1st & 2nd regardless. 

Jones may one day develop into an NFL running back. He isn’t that dude today. 

While I agree with this and I still have some hope that the light might switch on for him at some point and he starts looking like the player he did in college, I don't think he has looked good at the NFL level yet.

Compared to the other rookie RB so far Jones seems to have the most bust risk.
He's literally played in one game. He has nobody in front of him. This is different than the Penny situation where they seem to have two guys in front of him and would probably split with CJP if the other two got injured. Its a slow start for sure, but not hopeless (yet). I'd rank him above Penny at this point, barring 3 injures to Seattle RBs not names Penny.

He's literally played in one game. He has nobody in front of him. This is different than the Penny situation where they seem to have two guys in front of him and would probably split with CJP if the other two got injured. Its a slow start for sure, but not hopeless (yet). I'd rank him above Penny at this point, barring 3 injures to Seattle RBs not names Penny.
Penny also looks like a possible bust.

Almost all of the rookie Rb panned out last year. That's unusual.

Users who are viewing this thread