What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Ronald Jones, Cowboys (3 Viewers)

Buccaneers coach Bruce Arians said Ronald Jones has "earned the right to start" and "play more snaps."

"He's been consistent," Arians said of Jones. "He's been more explosive. It's not that Peyton [Barber] did anything wrong." Jones had out-rushed Barber 314 to 262 on five fewer carries heading into Week 9 but it still took Arians until November to christen last year's No. 38 overall pick as the team's starter. Nonetheless Jones was in on a season-high 53 percent of Tampa Bay's offensive snaps against Seattle while Barber had his role diminished to season-lows in carries (4) and snaps (14%). Arizona's allowed the second-most fantasy points per game to opposing running backs, putting Jones in prime position to dominate as a RB2 in his second consecutive start.

SOURCE: Scott Smith on Twitter

Nov 4, 2019, 1:33 PM ET

So wait....Ronald Jones (dubbed “SloJo” in here) doesn’t “suck” and some of us may have been right to keep him or (gasp) draft him cheaply in dynasty?

:whistle:
I still don't think he's all that great - moving past Baber on the depth chart is a fairly low bar to jump over. He's looked better than last season, for sure, but still doesn't have much lateral agility and runs a bit recklessly. The added bulk has helped him though and surprisingly has not slowed him down, which is a good thing.

I have him on a dynasty team and may look to sell "high" before our trade deadline as the Bucs could upgrade the position in free agency or the draft rather easily. I wouldn't give him away or anything, but if I could swing a first round pick for him or another young player I like I'd jump on it.

I still don't think he's all that great - moving past Baber on the depth chart is a fairly low bar to jump over. He's looked better than last season, for sure, but still doesn't have much lateral agility and runs a bit recklessly. The added bulk has helped him though and surprisingly has not slowed him down, which is a good thing.

I have him on a dynasty team and may look to sell "high" before our trade deadline as the Bucs could upgrade the position in free agency or the draft rather easily. I wouldn't give him away or anything, but if I could swing a first round pick for him or another young player I like I'd jump on it.
I think the Bucs have enough holes on the team that their RB position probably isn't high on the list of team needs.

I could be wrong though as we've all seen GM's go completely against what makes sense.

I think the Bucs have enough holes on the team that their RB position probably isn't high on the list of team needs.

I could be wrong though as we've all seen GM's go completely against what makes sense.
I've heard this argument before from Zach Stacey owners when he looked decent. The next season the Rams drafted Tre Mason early who made Stacey irrelevant. Then I heard that same argument from Mason owners. The nest season the Rams drafted Todd Gurley early...  

People were dumping him for 2nd and 3rd round rookie picks at one point just wanting to get out from under him.
I was lowballed several times in dynasty & held. 

in IDP redraft I suddenly had a glut of RBs, so I dealt him for KJ Wright who’s been a monster in my tackle-heavy format. certainly not a sell-low, as elite LBs are the RBs of the IDP world, to make an imperfect analogy. ~20 points a week at 2/tkl, 1/ATK

Certainly more fair than the “he sucks!” takes that dominated this topic last year & earlier this season. 

i don’t see the Bucs replacing him next year, though I could see them bringing in a replacement for Barber to make a “thunder & lightning”, though IIRC Ariens has featured backs in the past. 

I’m holding. I turned down several offers for 2020 2nd/3rd packages. I think he’s at least a starting RB2 next season. Beyond that who knows, but if the Bucs improve that OL, he could be better than he’s been, and he’s been pretty good at times. 

I've heard this argument before from Zach Stacey owners when he looked decent. The next season the Rams drafted Tre Mason early who made Stacey irrelevant. Then I heard that same argument from Mason owners. The nest season the Rams drafted Todd Gurley early...  
To be fair, Ronald Jones is better and has better pedigree than either Stacey or Mason though. 

Sure, anything can happen.

A team like the Panthers drafted DeAngelo Williams with their first round pick in 2006 and then picked Jonathan Stewart with their first round pick in 2008.

Teams make decisions and they are not always correct.

There are also things that we don't see that go into these decisions.  Zac Stacy was a 5th round JAG who was given some play to see how he'd perform.  Tre Mason it turns out had mental health issues we found out about post NFL.

To be fair, Ronald Jones is better and has better pedigree than either Stacey or Mason though. 
Sure he was a second round pick, while Stacy was a fifth and Mason a third - but both had better seasons than Jones will have.

I'm not saying to just give him away, but it's not like he's tearing it up or looking all that special. There's likely at least 5-6 RBs that are easily better in next year's draft class and there will be some good RBs in free agency like Melvin Gordon, Kenyon Drake, Derek Henry, Austin Ekeler that could really mess with his value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure, anything can happen.

A team like the Panthers drafted DeAngelo Williams with their first round pick in 2006 and then picked Jonathan Stewart with their first round pick in 2008.

Teams make decisions and they are not always correct.

There are also things that we don't see that go into these decisions.  Zac Stacy was a 5th round JAG who was given some play to see how he'd perform.  Tre Mason it turns out had mental health issues we found out about post NFL.
What has Jones done that makes him bullet-proof? He hasn't exactly been much more than a JAG himself. His career ypc sits at 3.7 and even this season where he's looked much better it's only 4.1 ypc.

I'm not saying that the Bucs will necessarily look to upgrade but it's something to consider and it's not exactly so far fetched that it falls into the "Sure, anything can happen" category.

Sure he was a second round pick, while Stacy was a fifth and Mason a third - but both had better seasons than Jones will have.

I'm not saying to just give him away, but it's not like he's tearing it up or looking all that special. There's likely at least 5-6 RBs that are easily better in next year's draft class and there will be some good RBs in free agency like Melvin Gordon, Kenyon Drake, Derek Henry, Austin Ekeler that could really mess with his value.
He’s had 1 start as a 20-carry back (aka feature back workload), and he produced well enough for Ariens to declare a changing of the guard. And that’s on a largely pass-first team with arguably a bottom 5 run blocking OL.

i hear what you’re saying, but I’d counter that maybe we should give it a couple of games to see if he can keep it up? 

someone like Eckeler could absolutely hurt him, but I’m not sure Eck or Henry won’t be retained by their respective teams, and I don’t know if the Bucs want to pay for a Gordon when they already have a Jones.

As for this season, I think folks who took a late flier or bought low in redraft will be plenty happy with his week 9 production if he can keep it up.  

Been carrying this guy for a while all with an eye towards Week 11 when Carson and Henry are on byes. Thought was to potentially use him in flex but with the emergence of Chark and Sutton, haven't needed RoJo in that flex role so far.

I will absolutely need him for Week 11, and this news couldn't come at a better time. Pairing with Guice's hopeful return that week as well, hope the both of them can provide some solid depth/match up options into the stretch and playoffs.

As for RoJo, great to hear Arians is finally coming around, but I don't think it means all of the sudden RoJo gets lion's share of the carries. 

Right now seems an even split of total snap counts, with Barber in on 32.9% of overall plays for 83 carrries and RoJo 31.7% with 92. So still fairly even. 

Really curious to see how this pans out - no question RoJo is more efficient with nearly a full yard more in YPC.

And a TD, which is nice. 
It's good day for fantasy - and I'm not saying he won't be valuable going forward in fantasy for this season or even for the future. It's a decent NFL game, but not anything special at all.

In my dynasty leagues the trade deadline is approaching, I'm just saying that he makes for a decent sell high because he's not exactly locked in for 2020. Others may think he's a cornerstone player and heck they may turn out to be right.  

It's good day for fantasy - and I'm not saying he won't be valuable going forward in fantasy for this season or even for the future. It's a decent NFL game, but not anything special at all.

In my dynasty leagues the trade deadline is approaching, I'm just saying that he makes for a decent sell high because he's not exactly locked in for 2020. Others may think he's a cornerstone player and heck they may turn out to be right.  
No doubt - and if someone were to offer me a guy like Singletary for him in a package, or if it were a lesser prospect & a 1st I’d probably be on it.

but I still can’t see selling for a 2nd or 3rd. I’d be more inclined to hold and hope the Bucs OL improves and he becomes that cornerstone RB. It’s not outside the realm of possibility. I’ve seen Ariens turn lesser talent into quality production before.

IMO the OL is the most limiting factor for Jones this year. 

Just turned on Redzone to see his running fumble without contact.  I don't trust anyone else to give me an opinion on how he's looked but the usage looks good.  

Ronald Jones rushed 11 times for 29 yards and a touchdown in the Bucs' Week 10 win over the Cardinals, catching eight passes for 77 additional yards.

Jones also lost a fumble and was out-gained by Peyton Barber on the ground in the definition of a mixed day. Jones' giveaway, which came at the end of an eight-yard reception on the Bucs' second-to-last drive, was completely inexplicable, as he simply popped the ball out himself as he was attempting to re-secure it. It was the kind of mistake that would make a coach end a film session in disgust. It was all Barber on the Bucs' final, game-winning possession. That includes a one-yard score. Jones will remain a volatile FLEX option for next Sunday's hosting of the Saints' feisty run defense.

So much for his "starting" gig.  Less ypc on the same number of runs as Peyton, and that fumble, ugh that fumble , uncaused and at a bad time.

May be back to sharing carries at best.  Dunno tho.

I didn't watch the game, but from reddit I read that after Jones fumbled, he was pretty much benched in favor of Barber, and it was Barber that was in on the last drive or two when TB was trying to win the game.

That's not a great look for Jones -- I imagine Arians starts Barber again, but as always, both backs will see carries, but not enough volume to really depend on the fantasy-wise.

I feel like I've said that too many times this year. It's too bad, as RoJo scored >20 points for me in my main league PPR -- would have been awesome to depend on him through the stretch but going forward, who knows (as ever) how this is going to shake out.

Well I managed to sell right before the kickoff - moved him and Courtland Sutton for Marquise Brown, a 1st and a 3rd (from a team that likely does not make the playoffs).

His usage in the passing game was encouraging for those that still own him and he had a nice game from a fantasy perspective but I still am not impressed with his running style and I'm glad I don't have to sweat out free agency and the draft next offseason. I still of course recommend selling "high" in dynasty but ymmv.

I wonder if this week was a net positive or negative for him in the big scheme of things.  People might see the good score and think positive - others may know about the fumble and Barber going back in late and see it as a negative.  I'm not sure.

Barber is a ham & egger. Jones is superior in every way. Taking him out at the end of the game is one thing,. It sends a message. But idiots bench better RBs because of a fumble. Don't see Pete Carroll doing that despite almost weekly fumbles from Carson. He had some good runs. Stuffed because there was no where to go an a few dragged down his YPC.

Barber is a ham & egger. Jones is superior in every way. Taking him out at the end of the game is one thing,. It sends a message. But idiots bench better RBs because of a fumble. Don't see Pete Carroll doing that despite almost weekly fumbles from Carson. He had some good runs. Stuffed because there was no where to go an a few dragged down his YPC.
This week will be telling.  Jones looks to be better but Barber looked good when he came in after the fumble.   Jones came through for us this week so I'm not going to complain.   If possible, he should go back to bench for a week so we see what happens.   

I wonder if this week was a net positive or negative for him in the big scheme of things.  People might see the good score and think positive - others may know about the fumble and Barber going back in late and see it as a negative.  I'm not sure.
8 catches. How is that NOT positive?

That, on it's own is a positive.  The fumble in his first start at the starter, and getting benched was a negative.  Is his value today higher or lower than a week ago?
I’m going with higher. But, he’s not a good sell candidate anyway. Unless you play with guppies.

That, on it's own is a positive.  The fumble in his first start at the starter, and getting benched was a negative.  Is his value today higher or lower than a week ago?
Higher.  The fumble obviously is a negative.  But he had 19 touches, 100+ YFS, a TD.  Barber I think only played 22 snaps...so for the most part, I think you have to like RoJo’s arrow.

Coach Bruce Arians said Ronald Jones "can do even more in the passing game".

Arians specifically mentioned doing more than just catch screen passes because Jones has developed his route tree. All of this praise comes just days after Jones surprisingly caught 8-of-8 targets for 77 yards against Arizona. It's an ability we haven't seen out of the former second-rounder even going back to his college days at USC, but Jones has taken positive steps all across the board in 2019 after a miserable rookie season. Jones is ascending towards RB2 fantasy value. He'll be tested against the Saints this weekend.

SOURCE: Scott Smith on Twitter

Nov 13, 2019, 7:11 PM ET

Still underrated and getting little respect in the fantasy community.

I wonder if his rookie year stigma will follow him throughout his career and if/what will change it.

Still underrated and getting little respect in the fantasy community.

I wonder if his rookie year stigma will follow him throughout his career and if/what will change it.
These are the guys that I always pay close attention to.  RoJo has very much improved in 2019.  Is he an RB1?  No...but he’s now a startable asset every week.  Yet, most are cool to his development/improvement.

I think what happens is that certain players have their expectations on them ‘raised’ at certain points in their careers and when they drastically fall short of them like RoJo did in 2018...they do get a ‘stink’ that attaches to them (this happened to Fournette to coming into this year as well).

Ultimately, the numbers will speak for themselves but as we look forward to 2020, I can see a good amount of folks still not bought into RoJo which will create some value opportunities.

These are the guys that I always pay close attention to.  RoJo has very much improved in 2019.  Is he an RB1?  No...but he’s now a startable asset every week.  Yet, most are cool to his development/improvement.

I think what happens is that certain players have their expectations on them ‘raised’ at certain points in their careers and when they drastically fall short of them like RoJo did in 2018...they do get a ‘stink’ that attaches to them (this happened to Fournette to coming into this year as well).

Ultimately, the numbers will speak for themselves but as we look forward to 2020, I can see a good amount of folks still not bought into RoJo which will create some value opportunities.
It's not just Jones.  It's also the team.  TB has been a wasteland for FF RB production.  None of their RBs topped 100 fantasy points in 2017, 2016, 2014, and 2013, and several other years the leader was in the 120-140 range.  They've had two studly Doug Martin seasons in a decade, the rest anywhere from below average to awful.

2019 Jones 85 and counting, currently RB23

2018 Barber 132 (RB26)

2017 Barber 72 (RB52)

2016 Rodgers 78 (RB50)

2015 Martin 209 (RB3)

2014 Rainey 84 (RB41)

2013 Rainey 92 (RB39)

2012 Martin 265 (RB3)

2011 Blount 123 (RB29)

2010 Blount 138 (RB24)

It's not just Jones.  It's also the team.  TB has been a wasteland for FF RB production.  None of their RBs topped 100 fantasy points in 2017, 2016, 2014, and 2013, and several other years the leader was in the 120-140 range.  They've had two studly Doug Martin seasons in a decade, the rest anywhere from below average to awful.

2019 Jones 85 and counting, currently RB23

2018 Barber 132 (RB26)

2017 Barber 72 (RB52)

2016 Rodgers 78 (RB50)

2015 Martin 209 (RB3)

2014 Rainey 84 (RB41)

2013 Rainey 92 (RB39)

2012 Martin 265 (RB3)

2011 Blount 123 (RB29)

2010 Blount 138 (RB24)
That's more an indication of the talent bereft at the RB position for the Bucs recently as well as offensive philosophies from the recent coaching staffs and ineptitude of the front offices.

That's more an indication of the talent bereft at the RB position for the Bucs recently as well as offensive philosophies from the recent coaching staffs and ineptitude of the front offices.
Maybe.  Winston is still winging it 50 times a game and turning it over left and right.  Seems like the same old story there.

Users who are viewing this thread