What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Baker Mayfield, TB (1 Viewer)

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller relays that multiple evaluators he's spoken with do not care if Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield plays in Saturday's Senior Bowl.
Robert Klemko‏Verified account @RobertKlemko 17h17 hours ago

Baker Mayfield has made a firm decision to play in the Senior Bowl, I'm told, contrary to some speculation around Mobile this week

=================================================

Robert Klemko‏Verified account @RobertKlemko 17h17 hours ago

The last Heisman winner to play in the Senior Bowl the same year he won the award was Carson Palmer (2001).

Rotoworld:

Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield is expected to play in Saturday's Senior Bowl.

Per ESPN's Coley Harvey, Mayfield will likely only play for one series before calling it a day. The feeling among evaluators, according to Bleacher Report's Matt Miller, is that they're pleased with the fact that the 6-foot-2, 216-pound Mayfield opted to come to Mobile at all. It was a good decision. He's turned in a respectable practice week and has done nothing to deflate his stock as a potential first-round selection for the spring.

Source: Coley Harvey on Twitter 

Jan 27 - 1:12 PM

Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield completed 3-of-7 passes for 9 yards for the North in a 45-16 loss to the South on Saturday in the Reese's Senior Bowl.

Mayfield didn't play much in this one, which was what was expected. His completions were of the check-down variety, and he missed on a touchdown throw by not giving his receiver a chance to make the play in the back of the end zone. The game doesn't nearly as much in practices, and fortunately for Mayfield, most of the reports were positive for the Heisman winner. At this point, it'd be a surprise if he wasn't a mid-first round selection.

Jan 27 - 6:03 PM

Why waste your time when you're going #1 overall to the Browns tho? The only team he needs to talk to.
Wrong thread. Mayfield isn't going number 1.

When he's still available for the Cardinals at 1.15, maybe they'll consider professionalism to be important? Maybe not. 

Kid has a point...but not professional...then again eli manning snubbed the chargers and elway to colts......so not like good players havent done #### like this before. Where as jp losman worked out for everyone twice and the bills got suckered.
Eli and Elway could do pretty much anything they wanted. Mayfield hasn't earned that privilege, nor is he a member of the first family of football.

He might turn out to be a great QB in the NFL, but there are questions and doubt which isn't helped by appearing to be unprofessional. 

The scout was wasting his time so you really can't blame him for not wanting to be there. 

Wrong thread. Mayfield isn't going number 1.

When he's still available for the Cardinals at 1.15, maybe they'll consider professionalism to be important? Maybe not. 

Eli and Elway could do pretty much anything they wanted. Mayfield hasn't earned that privilege, nor is he a member of the first family of football.

He might turn out to be a great QB in the NFL, but there are questions and doubt which isn't helped by appearing to be unprofessional. 

The scout was wasting his time so you really can't blame him for not wanting to be there. 
Spend 15 minutes preserving a professional relationship with someone who might be in the employ of the next team you want to land a big free agent contract with 4-5 years from now?  Nah, can't see any value in doing that.  Not with SO MUCH of his precious time on the line.

Spend 15 minutes preserving a professional relationship with someone who might be in the employ of the next team you want to land a big free agent contract with 4-5 years from now?  Nah, can't see any value in doing that.  Not with SO MUCH of his precious time on the line.
Sure.

But that would require Baker to actually think ahead more than a few months. 

Honestly do you think this interview would amount to anything long term? I'd think most likely not. But like you imply, you don't go burning bridges if you want a long career. 

Mayfield clearly didn't handle this as well as he could have.  He easily could have said, "I'd love to sit down for 15 minutes, but I'm completely booked.  Let me get your number and I'll call you if some time opens up."  

But let's be real, how he actually responded isn't impacting the longevity of his career in the NFL.  If he can sling it and win games, he'll have a long and prosperous career.  If he can't, a scout isn't going to save it.  

On top of that this conversation likely didn't even burn a bridge with this particular scout.  A key component to that particular conversation is tone and context, of which we have zero insight.  May very well have been playfully done with the scout taking no offense. 

Last edited by a moderator:
-OZ- said:
Eli and Elway could do pretty much anything they wanted. Mayfield hasn't earned that privilege.
Besides being a walk on out of High School and earning/fighting his way into a starting spot at one of the nation's top colleges, and winning a Heisman Trophy...

How would he have gone about "earning it"?

Besides being a walk on out of High School and earning/fighting his way into a starting spot at one of the nation's top colleges, and winning a Heisman Trophy...

How would he have gone about "earning it"?
For starters, by not being an ### off the field.   

I was too young to care about Elway's behavior in college but he is still considered one of, if not the best QB prospect to have ever come out of college. Mayfield doesn't approach that level. Simply put, John could do no wrong at that point.

Eli benefited hugely from his dad and brother, though he didn't have the questionable decision making, that we've heard anyway, that Baker has shown. 

Believe it or not, I do give him credit for his play and I'll generally root for a walk on guy to make it. But while Baker isn't Johnny football, he's not such a great prospect that he can do whatever he feels like and expect it to not matter.

It's apparently possible that Mayfield goes #1 to Cleveland, they're not exactly known for making good decisions either. 

I was too young to care about Elway's behavior in college but he is still considered one of, if not the best QB prospect to have ever come out of college. Mayfield doesn't approach that level. Simply put, John could do no wrong at that point.

Eli benefited hugely from his dad and brother, though he didn't have the questionable decision making, that we've heard anyway, that Baker has shown. 

Believe it or not, I do give him credit for his play and I'll generally root for a walk on guy to make it. But while Baker isn't Johnny football, he's not such a great prospect that he can do whatever he feels like and expect it to not matter.

It's apparently possible that Mayfield goes #1 to Cleveland, they're not exactly known for making good decisions either. 
I would say john dorsey is known for making good decisions

I think people are reading an awful lot into one exchange with a scout where he spoke the truth.
If you're referring to me, I'm looking more at his body of work off the field than this one incident. Whether we want to admit it, fair or not, certain players get more scrutiny than others, often because of their track record. 

I guess I just see a guy that won't back down.

There's off field stuff like stealing crab legs and laptops or beating up girlfriends...then there's standing up for yourself and rubbing salt in the guy you just wounded (the one who thought HE was getting the better of YOU).

Didn't he draft Kizer? And now browns fans want him to draft another questionable QB #1 overall?

But yes, Dorsey has a good track record.
Nope. The baseball sabremetrics guy did and hes gone. However dorsey has kept hue jackson on. That kinda feels like an owners decision. Much like the lions who got a new gm. But kept the coach until this year. Bad organizations remain bad for a reason

I don't know where the line is for a guy like Mayfield. 

If you look back you see that Peyton acted improperly in college with a female trainer and after he was with the Colts he was known to be liberal with his marital vows.  Big Ben was not liked early in his career with team mates, Hines Ward called him out on that a few times.  Ben had complaints from local Pittsburgh folks who had to deal with his attitude.  He also had a few of off-field issues that could have landed him in hot water.  Some of the most successful QBs have been able to overcome 'quirks'.

Johnny was a different animal.  A pampered upbringing, anger management and alcohol issues, and the publicized antics on and off the field.  All of that before the big downward spiral of drugs with more and more incidents.  He was smart but did not put his nose in the playbook, never did more than the minimum work, showed up just in time, said the right things to placate the media but the veneer had worn thin and he seemed to be unaware that no one was buying his shpeal. 

I don't completely laugh off some things that Baker has done.  I don't know where the line is but he isn't anywhere near Johnny Football who had crossed the Rubicon before he was drafted.  He was a lady's-man in-love with his own celebrity.  I don't believe Baker has crossed that line or that he is on the same trajectory.

I think he will do the work but he will be scrutinized especially if he has any incidents.  

Bradford's was the best ever. I was there along with more people than I'd ever seen or heard of being at a pro-day. (Sooners had a good team) Whether on the field, in the classroom, or just chatting with his aww shucks good guy demeanor, he was a prototype. He'd already raised $ for the Cherokees and donated some of his own and visited sick kids in a hospital....you name it, he was about perfect. 

Everyone I know still talks of it. I don't care how many years later, Mayfield is following that. Until someone somehow has a better OU pro-day, they're gonna be compared to Sam's day.

Eli was arguably the worst rookie ever. The stories of the Ravens taunting him and messing with him are classic. 

Mayfield is immature and growing up. He does dopey fratboy things that most normal people do in college. He doesn't rob banks or anything that's that bad. He is not mature enough to have class and be anything like Mariota. He grew on OU fans. People did not like that taunting garbage he does but ultimately they saw how he fires up the team and ...it only bothered them a little bit or they tolerated it. Favre talked a lot of trash and got too excited and stuff. Maybe he's more Favre like in the NFL? For some reason we ignore defenders and nitpick offensive guys for this. Gronk, Shockey, and Lewan were firey dudes too. It's infectious. 

"That's not the face of the franchise demeanor." Nope, it's not. He'll grow up though. Wasn't the Lambeau leap a byproduct of Favre running around and getting his teammates all hyper?

Have you seen his apologies? Clearly, Mom's straightening him out and giving him an earful.

Very few QBs are successful early on in the NFL. I would say he's about perfect to be a backup. He doesn't believe anyone is better or he is incapable of anything and he will definitely fire up a dejected group. If he sits for a year, he could totally come off the sideline during year one.

People like to speak of him being firey as a negative and miss the leadership there. If he's got the offense and defense ready to take on the world, umm he is leading them.

He's living a dream come true. He was a walk on twice. That's like winning the darn lottery. Add the Heisman on and geesh I'd jump for joy and probably be way too exuberant if I were him. I remember an interview not long ago where they said he'd be picked late first early second, how does he feel? He said something like "Go backup Brady? Are you kidding me?"  Society and/or fans want him to be upset if he falls and make changes to his game or character as a response to falling. He won't. Not for that reason. He's gonna be a millionaire in the NFL and the unimaginable dream streak continues. Wait for him to take a big hit, throw an INT, realize exactly how fierce the NFL is....that'll start to change him. There's no way whatsoever that he is unhappy on draft day.

Another thing about him, along these lines, is how grateful he is and how much he works. He is downright refreshing next to spoiled brats and five star guys that expect everything.

He's not for everyone. I get that. The Browns have an older fan base (as do the Packers.) I don't think that's a good spot. The older fans won't like his demeanor. He grows on ya though, he totally does. Call him a punk or a braggart or a cocky sonofa or whatever and then you wind up rooting for him. He's himself, right out there for everyone to nitpick and he doesn't care. Have you heard how he was stuck on the toilet before his first start? Stomach so bad with nerves he had to run out later than everyone else. Do people like hearing that he was on the can? Of course not, but it's stories like that that you almost relate to and ...the guy just grows on ya

I could see him in a Jets uniform.  Bring back the Bravado of Namath - a loud mouth from the south, but hardly a bad dude. 

I believe perhaps you may be a bit too young to be commenting on Elway being drafted by Denver.  A lot of people in Denver really disliked the selection and Elway was roundly panned in his first year as an arrogant silver-spoon inaccurate guy who ran too much and sprayed the ball all over the field.  He had more perceived negatives coming out than Mayfield currently does, including his attitude.

Elway’s play and gradual maturation changed all of that - and to this day his disposition still pisses some people off.

I believe perhaps you may be a bit too young to be commenting on Elway being drafted by Denver.  A lot of people in Denver really disliked the selection and Elway was roundly panned in his first year as an arrogant silver-spoon inaccurate guy who ran too much and sprayed the ball all over the field.  He had more perceived negatives coming out than Mayfield currently does, including his attitude.

Elway’s play and gradual maturation changed all of that - and to this day his disposition still pisses some people off.
I was 6, so yeah. That and the fact that he wasn't drafted by Denver. Yet he was still considered the best prospect, pretty much ever.

It’s called being a professional.
Is it? The guy was badgering him when they already have a QB. People expect these college kids to act like saints. I'd rather the guy be honest than put up a false front. Any top 5 QB who's like "Yeah, sounds great! I'd be honored to talk to the Bears." Is just BSing, how do you know you can trust him to be honest later?

As a professional engineer, I still call people out if they're wasting my time. 

Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline listed Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield as the "winner" of the quarterback who rose his stock the most at the Senior Bowl last week.

Richmond's Kyle Lauletta ranks second to Mayfield. The 2017 Heisman Trophy winner didn't play much in the game, but the practices were what scouts were there to see, and most reports there were very positive. "He showed he could handle a pro offense and throw with good fundamentals and anticipation working under center rather than in the shotgun. Mayfield went through his progressions nicely, even doing so in drills against air to solidify the habit, and developed better chemistry with his receivers...," Pauline said. It still appears likely that Mayfield goes somewhere in the middle of the first-round this spring.

Source: Draft Analyst

Jan 29 - 12:45 PM

Is it? The guy was badgering him when they already have a QB. People expect these college kids to act like saints. I'd rather the guy be honest than put up a false front. Any top 5 QB who's like "Yeah, sounds great! I'd be honored to talk to the Bears." Is just BSing, how do you know you can trust him to be honest later?

Do you think the scout is just doing it for the hell of it? Everybody else seems to be able to do it. That’s why you’re there, to answer questions no matter who’s asking them. It just speaks to the fact he’s a punk.

Fwiw, if Darnold had said the same thing this probably wouldn't even be discussed. Except maybe for a laugh.

I understand he’s your mammoth boy crush, but if you take off your blinders for a second you’ll see that regardless of his talent his actions over the last year are pretty much the definition of a punk.
except that he doesn't, even w blinders off. 

what constitutes him as a punk,e xactly? Im intrigued

If you don't want to label him a punk, can you at least admit he's done some stupid, immature things?

But he's pretty good at apologizing.

Running from the law after public intoxication

planting the flag on another teams field

grabbing your junk at another teams sideline

blowing off a scout trying to interview you

I honest to God hope the Browns end up with him so I can listen to all your excuses when he doesn’t turn out to be your golden boy.

Want to know why Mayfield planted the Sooner flag on OSU?

Ohio State players sang their fight song on Oklahoma's field following a 45-24 victory over the Sooners the year before. Bunch of punks.

Everyone knows why he grabbed his junk versus Kansas.

I'm totally okay with his sorry/not sorry apologies in both cases.

These are scheduled interviews that each team requests from the players.  It's why the players are invited, and it's one of their obligations to attend.  It's 15 freaking minutes of one's life, he can act like an adult and deal with the challenge and not some petulant child that doesn't get his TV time in before bedtime.

You're not "professional" anything if you're "calling people out".  Professionals are courteous and graceful in getting themselves extricated from difficult situations with minimal wasted resources. 

Running from the law after public intoxication

planting the flag on another teams field

grabbing your junk at another teams sideline

blowing off a scout trying to interview you

I honest to God hope the Browns end up with him so I can listen to all your excuses when he doesn’t turn out to be your golden boy.
Peyton manning gave some chic a face fulll of his ###....

Everyone knows why he grabbed his junk versus Kansas.
Because he felt disrespected by them not shaking his hand.

They didn't shake his hand because they thought he was temperamental and they wanted to get under his skin.  Not that it would matter in the game but they were right. 

A source close to Browns GM John Dorsey told Yahoo's Charles Robinson that Oklahoma's Baker Mayfield would be an "outlier" for Dorsey's preferred style of quarterback.

The source told Robinson this just days after Robinson published a report connecting Browns dots to Mayfield. Per Robinson, the new source noted that Dorsey is a big proponent of "size, speed, quickness" in college prospects, and Mayfield would be shorter than a typical Dorsey-style passer. Dorsey was in Kansas City's front office when the Chiefs selected Patrick Mahomes at No. 10 overall. Mahomes is the ultimate size-speed-quickness quarterback prospect.

Related: Browns

Source: Charles Robinson on Twitter 

Jan 29 - 4:01 PM

Users who are viewing this thread