What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Rashaad Penny, PHI (1 Viewer)

I'm tempted to drop him now in Dynasty and roster a flier as my IR spots are already full. I'll probably hold him and try to get a 3rd rounder out of him before roster cutdowns. If not he'll be dumped before next year's rookie draft, then at least one of my other league mates can waste a late rd pick on him.

Guy is probably going to fall into a little bit of depression, get fat and not be able to rehab. Will be shocked if he doesn't start next year on the PUP and probably wouldn't have a chance to play again until 2021. Maybe they'll give the kid from Miami a chance.

I'm tempted to drop him now in Dynasty and roster a flier as my IR spots are already full. I'll probably hold him and try to get a 3rd rounder out of him before roster cutdowns. If not he'll be dumped before next year's rookie draft, then at least one of my other league mates can waste a late rd pick on him.

Guy is probably going to fall into a little bit of depression, get fat and not be able to rehab. Will be shocked if he doesn't start next year on the PUP and probably wouldn't have a chance to play again until 2021. Maybe they'll give the kid from Miami a chance.
It's not 2000 anymore. Don't drop players in dynasty over an ACL tear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fair point, although this is going to cement Carson’s lock on the job perhaps even more now and Penny may not ever get a chance unless Carson himself gets badly hurt.

ACL tears don't worry me when they happen to professional players. When they happen to Eddie Lacy incarnate then it's best to cut your losses early. I'm from SD, I'll always root for an Aztec but this dude is soft. Good luck to you.

Any ideas why Penny hasn't been added to IR yet?  I can't keep him and replace him until designated to IR.

Any ideas why Penny hasn't been added to IR yet?  I can't keep him and replace him until designated to IR.
They may still be evaluating the knee. The last report was kinda strange. It was first thought to be a sprain, then reported as a torn ACL with the distinction that a sprain is a tear. What? Maybe they are waiting to see if he starts healing at a rapid rate so he could be back for the playoffs? Or maybe they are just slow. It rook them quite a while to put Dissly on ir earlier in the season.

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said it's going to be "a while" before Rashaad Penny returns from his torn ACL.

Penny suffered his injury in Sunday night's loss to L.A. Already lost for the remainder of 2019, Carroll isn't sure when we'll see Penny back on the field. "No, I would never say that right now," said Carroll when asked if he expected Penny to miss the start of next season. "I don’t know how many months we got. It’s going to take him a while." The fact that Carroll—known for being almost comically optimistic when it comes to injuries—is already hedging on his availability for Week 1 isn't an encouraging sign, though obviously Penny will have the entire offseason to change that narrative. In the meantime Chris Carson, who is already over 1,000 yards rushing for the year, will finish out the season as Seattle's unquestioned workhorse. He makes for an enticing fantasy option this week against Carolina's weak run defense.

SOURCE: SeahawksWire

Dec 12, 2019, 1:43 PM ET

Yea, I need him to go to the IR officially before I can replace him......seems like Hawks should be motivated to make the transaction so they can replace him heading toward a playoff run.

Rashaad Penny had "more than just a normal ACL" tear and surgery.

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said there were "other things they just had to clean out" and that "all the expectations are that he'll make it back, but it was a legit surgery that's going to call for the full length of time." Getting cleared to play for the 2020 season opener will be a tough task for the former first-round pick. Chris Carson, on the other hand, won't need offseason surgery for his hip injury and is expected to be ready for the 2020 training camp. Carson should be the Seahawks' lead back once again.

SOURCE: Gregg Bell on Twitter

Jan 1, 2020, 8:00 PM ET

Looking like a wasted pick in dynasty leagues. Players make it back with these kinds of injuries, but Injuries still suck.

Rashaad Penny: Making rehab prgoress

(RotoWire) Penny (knee) used a stationary bike Tuesday, taking a step forward in his rehab from a torn ACL, NFL.com's Kevin Patra reports. Analysis: Penny tore up his knee Week 14 and had surgery later in December. Coach Pete Carroll said the injury involved damage beyond an ACL tear, but Carroll also mentioned in early January that the Seahawks were pleased with Penny's early progress. The 24-year-old faces a challenge to make it back on the field for the early part of the 2020 campaign, while backfield mate Chris Carson is expected to recover from a hip fracture without needing surgery, potentially returning to practice as soon as May or June.

He's looking at a November return at best. Usually takes a year to come back and his tear was worse than normal. Definitely will get PUP'd.

Final year of Carson's contract. Penny could be the guy in 2021 but I wouldn't count on it. 
Probably couldn't get much for him now, so probably a hold in Dynasty.

He's looking at a November return at best. Usually takes a year to come back and his tear was worse than normal. Definitely will get PUP'd.
My belief is he gets put on PUP as well, planning on it where I own him. I'm worried about something that looks more like Bryce Love who tore his ACL basically in terms of calendar days one week before Penny did and basically had to sit out the season. All injuries are different, Love had some setbacks I believe but I don't think he had a multi-ligament tear either and I think even before Love had a setback the expectation was he was likely looking at not playing in 2019.

But if you want to take a more positive outlook I recall Leveon Bell suffered a multi-ligament ACL injury on November 1. The following year he had to serve a 3 game suspension so he did not play till week 4 which was Oct 2. So he got back to form in exactly 11 months and if you believe as I do he'd have played the opener if no tsuspended he'd have made it back in just over 10 months. If Penny can follow a similar recovery timeline that would be a best cast type scenario to me and actually possibly avoid being put on PUP.

Final year of Carson's contract. Penny could be the guy in 2021 but I wouldn't count on it. 
Probably couldn't get much for him now, so probably a hold in Dynasty.
I'm thinking same thing, Penny could be the guy in 2021 but one thing this injury does to hurt his chances is heavily increase the odds they target a RB this offseason as they likely know they can't count on Penny.

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll expects Rashaad Penny (ACL) to begin training camp on the PUP list.

It's hardly a surprise considering Penny suffered "more than just a normal ACL tear" in December, but it's notable that not even Carroll was willing to say Penny might be ready for camp. We would consider Penny doubtful for Week 1, and a strong candidate for reserve/PUP, which would cost him six games. Chris Carson (hip), meanwhile, is without a timeline for a return but is expected to be ready for Week 1.

SOURCE: Bob Condotta on Twitter

Feb 25, 2020, 3:48 PM ET

Speaking in a Thursday radio interview, Seahawks coach Pete Carroll hinted Rashaad Penny (ACL) will begin the regular season on the reserve/PUP list. 

That was the takeaway of beat writer Bob Condotta. "He's doing great, but it was a late-season injury," Carroll said. Penny went down in early December, suffering "more than just a normal ACL tear." This is not the first time Carroll has hinted at an extended Penny absence, while the Seahawks used a fourth-round pick on Miami RB DeeJay Dallas. Although Penny is worth keeping around in Dynasty leagues, he is looking poised to have a lost re-draft season in 2020. 

Apr 30, 2020, 8:32 PM ET

Not the biggest Penny fan but he did look like he demostrably improved last year before the injury, so I give him props.

This is something where it just looks like the timeline for recovery means he'll start on the active PUP list.

Hope he can battle back before being placed on reserve PUP. 

Wow.  This isn't the typical cookie-cutter response that we hear where they always say 'He's far ahead of schedule.'.  Schneider says 'it's going to be REALLY HARD for him to make it for the start of the season.'

John Schneider Updates Statuses of Seahawks RBs Chris Carson, Rashaad Penny

...the Seahawks remain optimistic they will have starting running back Chris Carson available for Week 1. Backup Rashaad Penny, on the other hand, still faces a long road to recovery.

In an interview with Dave Mahler and **** Fain on Sports Radio KJR on Thursday, Schneider provided updates on both players, indicating Carson was doing well recovering from a cracked hip suffered on December 22 against Arizona. He landed on injured reserve and missed Seattle's final three games, including both playoff contests.

“We’re expecting Chris to be ready, yeah,” Schneider said.

As for Penny, he still finds himself months away from potentially being able to return to the football field. Though Schneider indicated he's made substantial progress in his rehab, “it’s going to be really hard for him to make it” for the start of the season since he suffered the injury in December.

The question is, when he comes back, will he be in shape and will he have the skill he did before?
I had him on one team already and acquired him on the super cheap in another a few months ago and when I acquired him I was close to 100% sure he'd start the year on PUP/IR. This not only does not bother me but  I view it as a positive since I can move him to IR and open up a 6+ week roster spot which can be especially valuable early in the season to try and get a read on some players.

But the potential problem is I'm not sure he's going to make it back at all in 2020.  Where I own him is smaller roster(FFPC) dynasty leagues so while I'm good with him starting the year on PUP/IR it would be great to get him back at some point in 2020 so I can see how he looks to help me decide if I will keep him when 2021 off-season cuts are due. If he helps my teams at all in 2020 it's a bonus because I have wrote him off for the year for being in my lineup but would sure like to see something to give me confidence to hold onto him.

Wow.  This isn't the typical cookie-cutter response that we hear where they always say 'He's far ahead of schedule.'.  Schneider says 'it's going to be REALLY HARD for him to make it for the start of the season.'

John Schneider Updates Statuses of Seahawks RBs Chris Carson, Rashaad Penny
So in the spirit of not believing a thing that comes of of these guys' mouths I will be trading for Penny in all leagues and eagerly await his 35 point week 1 breakout.

Danger of having multiple threads open -- posted a politics forum thing here on accident that I just hid.

What I meant to say in this thread was that Penny has really fallen off a cliff in value. He's still there nearing the dregs of a dynasty startup I'm in right now. I'll probably grab him in the 15th round if he's still there for me.

Edit: He ended up going in the late 13th as RB45.

Seahawks placed RB Rashaad Penny (ACL) on the active/PUP list.

Penny will report to camp on Thursday for testing but is still expected to miss the first six regular season games as he continues to rehab from his late-season ACL tear; Seattle adding fourth-rounder DeeJay Dallas and veteran Carlos Hyde suggests as much. Chris Carson (hip), who averaged 19.3 carries per game on 72 percent of Seattle's offensive snaps last year, remains in line for a similar workload to open the season.

Aug 3, 2020, 4:55 PM ET

I picked him up today and stashed on IR. It is a free lottery ticket. Not expecting anything. But if you have an IR spot, without needing to drop someone to complete the transaction, why not.

Seahawks placed RB Rashaad Penny (knee) on the reserve/PUP list. 

It means Penny will be unavailable for at least the first six games of the season after wrecking his knee last Week 14. The Seahawks termed it "more than just a normal ACL tear." Chris Carson (hip) is ready to go, and will be backed up by Carlos Hyde. That leaves a pass-catching opening for rookie DeeJay Dallas. Penny still has a flicker of Dynasty league value, but he is not much of a re-draft stash right now. 

Sep 5, 2020, 6:38 PM ET

No surpise here, but curious of what his dynasty value is with Carson, Dallas, and how Hyde around.  I'm thinking 3rd-4th round pick, which I suppose may as well be a 5th-6th.  Correct me if I'm wrong.  Though I don't think I am! 😊

Very serious ACL injury and a very crowded backfield when he returns.  I’m thinking only draft stock is keeping any dynasty value alive.

I think Dallas may have more dynasty value at this point.

No surpise here, but curious of what his dynasty value is with Carson, Dallas, and how Hyde around.  I'm thinking 3rd-4th round pick, which I suppose may as well be a 5th-6th.  Correct me if I'm wrong.  Though I don't think I am! 😊
Would never waste a 3rd round rookie pick on this bum. I cut him this year from cutdowns and super happy. Hope someone else picks him up and he can clog their roster. The guys only career accomplishment so far is claiming that he quit fast food which I'm still not buying 100%.

If #letRussCook stays a thing in 2020, Penny could be a great late season stash with RB targets. I think Pete is still determined to justify that draft capital.  Granted this is coming from Carroll, but if he is looking like he will be ready to come back when his PUP stint is up, watch out.

If #letRussCook stays a thing in 2020, Penny could be a great late season stash with RB targets. I think Pete is still determined to justify that draft capital. Granted this is coming from Carroll, but if he is looking like he will be ready to come back when his PUP stint is up, watch out.
No coach in the middle of a playoff race is taking this into consideration at all

If #letRussCook stays a thing in 2020, Penny could be a great late season stash with RB targets. I think Pete is still determined to justify that draft capital.  Granted this is coming from Carroll, but if he is looking like he will be ready to come back when his PUP stint is up, watch out.
Let me be honest and say I have no clue what that means. Seen it a ton, and assume it's let Wilson air it out more or make more RPO decisions than the Hawks' traditional run-first modality.

Either way, not sure how that automatically means a boon for Penny. I don't think Penny was used as just a pass catching back, he came in more to spell Carson in series. Penny may have better hands (after watching this team every weekend for years, I don't think Penny has stayed healthy and played long enough for me to say he's far and away a better pass catching back), but in the end, I think two things:

1) Penny is a solid late season stash regardless. If/when he returns, they will want to use him to keep Carso fresh. Penny looked much better last year than the year before.

2) Giving Russell more freedom at the line may give all players an uptick if there is more passing. Conversely that forecasted increase in targets could also be balanced by Wilson choosing to run it more in RPO -- that is absolutely becoming a philosophy du jour in the NFL.

With the ACL, I’m not sure Penny will ever get back to form. But at least it’s not the career death knell it used to be.

If you want to play the potential long game, both Carson and Hyde will be free agents after this year and both could walk. I do think that DeeJay Dallas may be someone to look out for as much as Penny.

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said Rashaad Penny (knee, reserve/PUP)  is "ahead of schedule" in his recovery.

Penny is nine months removed from a torn ACL. He’ll miss at least the first six games on the PUP list. Carroll’s comments suggest Penny has a chance to be activated in late-October when first eligible. Penny will be returning to a crowded backfield behind Chris Carson. He may not be higher than the No. 3 back.

SOURCE: Seattle Times

Sep 19, 2020, 11:05 AM ET

The Seahawks remain uncertain when Rashaad Penny (knee, PUP) may resume practicing. 

“It’s not clear yet,” coach Pete Carroll said. “We’ve waited this long, we’re going to make sure these guys come back and there’s no question about their return.” The other player in "these guys" is DE Darrell Taylor. The Athletic's Michael-Shawn Dugar expected Penny to be practicing by now. Carroll has consistently projected optimism on Penny's status, but he suffered an unusually severe knee injury last December. There is a chance he ends up spending all of 2020 on the PUP list. 

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Oct 20, 2020, 5:08 PM ET

https://www.nbcsports.com/northwest/seahawks/seahawks-running-back-rashaad-penny-signals-hes-close-returning-action

Just picked him up in my keeper league. Carroll is ever the optimist and not sure if he’ll make it back. But between Carson’s and Hyde’s injuries and Dallas/Homer seemingly not the answer, you never know. 
Plus for next year, both Carson and Hyde will be UFAs after this season.
LFG, not holding out hope but really think Penny may be able to be the man next year. The constant Carson injuries through the years have to be taking a toll on the Seahawks franchise and Carson's body/production.

LFG, not holding out hope but really think Penny may be able to be the man next year. The constant Carson injuries through the years have to be taking a toll on the Seahawks franchise and Carson's body/production.
I do wonder if the Seahawks will pony up a lot of money for Carson after his injury history. Could see a team like Miami or Houston maybe throw him a bit more.

Even if Carson leaves though, I’m not sure that Carroll would entrust the running game with Penny either. I’m sure there would be some competition.

I do wonder if the Seahawks will pony up a lot of money for Carson after his injury history. Could see a team like Miami or Houston maybe throw him a bit more.

Even if Carson leaves though, I’m not sure that Carroll would entrust the running game with Penny either. I’m sure there would be some competition.
Oh no doubt Penny will not be given the keys to the backfield but he has flashed and has a high draft pedigree. I'm just banking that the constant Carson injuries have to be taking a toll on their trust moving forward.

Week or 2 away?

Confused here.  I thought he had to be removed from PUP by week 11, or he would miss the whole year. :confused:
My understanding of NFL PUP list rules is that a player cannot practice or play the first six weeks of the season, but after that, the player must either return to practice, be placed on injured reserved or released within five weeks.  However, if the player returns to practice, they must be put on the active roster within three weeks.  So, there is a three-week window from the time Penny returned to practice for the team to add him to their active roster.

It is Carroll talking, so we have to take it with a grain of salt.

Good on Penny though for working so hard to be near a position of returning. Was really starting to show something pre-injury last year and if truly back, may have  an opportunity to stake a piece of the backfield down the stretch and next year. 

My understanding of NFL PUP list rules is that a player cannot practice or play the first six weeks of the season, but after that, the player must either return to practice, be placed on injured reserved or released within five weeks.  However, if the player returns to practice, they must be put on the active roster within three weeks.  So, there is a three-week window from the time Penny returned to practice for the team to add him to their active roster.
I didn't think he had returned to practice, though?  Did I miss something?

I didn't think he had returned to practice, though?  Did I miss something?
Good point.  I would guess that Penny must return to practice by next week to start that 21-day return clock, but I don't know the rule well enough to know how that "5 weeks from Week 6" rule is computed.

Edit to add:  I found this which explains the time computation:  "A player moved to Reserve/PUP is prevented from playing and practicing during the first six weeks of the season. What makes the Reserve PUP advantageous is that any player on the Reserve PUP list does not count against the 53-man roster. If a player isn’t activated after the sixth week, the team has a six-week window (day after Week 6 to day after Week 11) to make a decision to: 1.) place the player on injured reserve; 2.) release the player; or 3.) get him back to practice. As soon as the player returns to practice, the team has another three-week window to add the player back to the 53-man roster, or place them on the Injured Reserve list. This means that teams can effectively hold a player on PUP until Week 15. At that point, they either have to place him on injured reserve, activate him to the 53-man roster, or release him."

Based on my understanding of that, it appears that Penny must return to the practice field by Tuesday, then there is a 21-day window to activate him to the active roster.

IR rules for this season throw a new wrinkle into this, since the Seahawks could move Penny to a 3-week IR at any time, although it does not sound like that is the team's intention.

Good point.  I would guess that Penny must return to practice by next week to start that 21-day return clock, but I don't know the rule well enough to know how that "5 weeks from Week 6" rule is computed.

Edit to add:  I found this which explains the time computation:  "A player moved to Reserve/PUP is prevented from playing and practicing during the first six weeks of the season. What makes the Reserve PUP advantageous is that any player on the Reserve PUP list does not count against the 53-man roster. If a player isn’t activated after the sixth week, the team has a six-week window (day after Week 6 to day after Week 11) to make a decision to: 1.) place the player on injured reserve; 2.) release the player; or 3.) get him back to practice. As soon as the player returns to practice, the team has another three-week window to add the player back to the 53-man roster, or place them on the Injured Reserve list. This means that teams can effectively hold a player on PUP until Week 15. At that point, they either have to place him on injured reserve, activate him to the 53-man roster, or release him."

Based on my understanding of that, it appears that Penny must return to the practice field by Tuesday, then there is a 21-day window to activate him to the active roster.

IR rules for this season throw a new wrinkle into this, since the Seahawks could move Penny to a 3-week IR at any time, although it does not sound like that is the team's intention.
Thanks, that makes sense.

Users who are viewing this thread