What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Green Bay Packers Thread (6 Viewers)

Such an awesome moment from Clay

Also reminds me how much I did like Greene as a coach and cool that we ran into and met he and his wife at Disney.  His wife noticed my step dad wearing a Packers hat and said he would like her necklace (was a copy of the top of the super bowl ring).  Then a large man came walking up saying I think you’ll like this better and held out his super bowl ring and it was Kevin Greene.  Super nice guy and very cool to see their ring up close.

I don't expect much for moves from now until the draft. It seems the organization predetermined the handful of guys they really wanted to go after and did that and are pretty much done. If a player becomes available that they want they might do something but I don't think they want to blow all their cap space in free agency. There will be guys dropped or possible trades in the future. Probably homerism but I still wouldn't mind seeing them bring back Jordy to see what he has left and allow him to finish as a Packer but I'm sure it would have to be a near league minimum deal with incentives and if someone else wants to pay Jordy more they are OK with that.

I think the issue is with Jordy, like Cobb and Matthews is that he is done. So seeing if he has anything left is not a good idea because it means we are wasting a roster spot on a guy who is not effective. Would rather see them draft a guy or keep one of the promising players we have now in that open spot.

i am going to continue to campaign to myself for Hockenson with first pick and Isabella with second pick.

i am going to continue to campaign to myself for Hockenson with first pick
When has drafting a TE that high worked out for the team that drafted them?   Looking over the list of 1st round TE selections, I see very few that seem like good picks in retrospect.

When has drafting a TE that high worked out for the team that drafted them?   Looking over the list of 1st round TE selections, I see very few that seem like good picks in retrospect.
I think Hockenson is a 3 down tightend and one of the best blockers at the position to come out in 25 years. Add to the fact he is also a very good receiver, he would make an awesome pick.

its like having an extra tackle to block and an unbelievable safety valve in the passing game. 

This isn’t Vernon Davis or Eric Ebron, players who tested ridiculous but were known strictly as receivers. This guy is the total package.

Last edited by a moderator:
First, I am not as convinced as Balco that Cobb, Matthews and Nelson are done. They are no longer worth 10 mil plus a year but they can still contribute. I also don't worry about a veteran taking up a spot that a young guy could have. That is how you keep wasting Rodgers in his best years. I really don't know if Nelson could fill a slot type role effectively but I certainly wouldn't be afraid to bring him in and see how he looks in the off season and training camp if it's a deal you can walk away from if he doesn't seem to have anything left. In the last 5 games he played last year he had 38 receptions, 386 yards and no td. Certainly not what he once was but those numbers make me ask can this guy be an effective short pass option for Rodgers?

As far as the draft I would like to see at least one TE drafted fairly early and I want to see some investment in that spot. I wasn't a big fan of bringing Graham back but even if he can put together a solid season we need a young TE that can be a weapon in the passing game.

First, I am not as convinced as Balco that Cobb, Matthews and Nelson are done. They are no longer worth 10 mil plus a year but they can still contribute. I also don't worry about a veteran taking up a spot that a young guy could have. That is how you keep wasting Rodgers in his best years. I really don't know if Nelson could fill a slot type role effectively but I certainly wouldn't be afraid to bring him in and see how he looks in the off season and training camp if it's a deal you can walk away from if he doesn't seem to have anything left. In the last 5 games he played last year he had 38 receptions, 386 yards and no td. Certainly not what he once was but those numbers make me ask can this guy be an effective short pass option for Rodgers?

As far as the draft I would like to see at least one TE drafted fairly early and I want to see some investment in that spot. I wasn't a big fan of bringing Graham back but even if he can put together a solid season we need a young TE that can be a weapon in the passing game.
I think the problem with bringing Cobb, Matthews or Nelson back for one more year to see if they have anything left is there is an assumption there that the Packers will be contenders next year. I am not sure that is the case and I think the Packers are quietly going about their business that way as well. I think they see this upcoming year as sort of a red-shirt year with the intent of competing the year after. You sign 4 free agents this year, all relatively young and 4 year contracts. You let your older players walk like Cobb, Nelson and Matthews. You dealt HaHa last year for a 4th round pick. You traded down last year to pick up an extra 1st. You bring in a young HC with a very young staff. I think their plan is to build a young nucleus to get a years experience under their built with the intent of being major competitors next year. They have the making of a very solid secondary with some experience. They have some very talented young WRs. Two good young RBs. Some relatively young guys in their defensive front 7. They have a lot of flexibility in this years draft with some high choices. Hit on those and get them experience and 2020 could be a very good year.

Hockensen is a stud.  Pull up some video of him if you haven't already.  If this guy couldn't catch at all he would still get drafted.  He's a tremendous blocker, devastating blocks too.  

I'm biased due to living in Iowa, but T.J. and Noah Fant are both very good TE's.  

I'm hoping the Packers can get Hockensen with pick 12.  He will be an all pro for many years.

Seems a lot like TJ at 12...are you assuming both Devins are gone?

How do you rank the two Devin LBs, Ed Oliver, TJ?

For me I’d take either of the LBs then it’s a toss up between TJ and Oliver and I’m leaning Oliver.

Packers to open up season at Soldier Field.  I don't understand how this isn't opening up at Lambeau.  Start the 100th season a historic site or at the spaceship...doesn't seem to difficult to make the correct choice...but the NFL isn't great at making easy choices.

Packers to open up season at Soldier Field.  I don't understand how this isn't opening up at Lambeau.  Start the 100th season a historic site or at the spaceship...doesn't seem to difficult to make the correct choice...but the NFL isn't great at making easy choices.
Opened in GB last year against the Bears...so I guess they changed it from that.

But I do approve of discussing it or any chance to make fun of that pitiful excuse for a stadium in Chicago.

The dirt is now out there.  The responses to the articles written the past two days will probably be as interesting as the pieces themselves.

A lot of takeaways from them, but one I hope isn't lost among the more compelling McCarthy/Rodgers drama...Mark Murphy probably doesn't know what he's doing.

This all took place under his watch and what was done?  Nothing until it was obvious to everybody that changes had to be made.  Also, the once proud 'small town' football first vibe has almost completely been replaced by a business first approach.  That's fine as long as a future Hall of Fame QB is in place, but good luck afterward (when he'll probably leave).  The guy has been slowly using up the huge bank of Packers fan base goodwill IMO.

Daniel Jeramiah & Bucky Brooks (of Move the Chains and NFL Network) will refer to quarterbacks as a truck or a trailer.  A truck if they can carry their team to victory, and a trailer if they have to be carried.  As a team executive Mark Murphy is a trailer, not a truck.

The dirt is now out there.  The responses to the articles written the past two days will probably be as interesting as the pieces themselves.

A lot of takeaways from them, but one I hope isn't lost among the more compelling McCarthy/Rodgers drama...Mark Murphy probably doesn't know what he's doing.

This all took place under his watch and what was done?  Nothing until it was obvious to everybody that changes had to be made.  Also, the once proud 'small town' football first vibe has almost completely been replaced by a business first approach.  That's fine as long as a future Hall of Fame QB is in place, but good luck afterward (when he'll probably leave).  The guy has been slowly using up the huge bank of Packers fan base goodwill IMO.

Daniel Jeramiah & Bucky Brooks (of Move the Chains and NFL Network) will refer to quarterbacks as a truck or a trailer.  A truck if they can carry their team to victory, and a trailer if they have to be carried.  As a team executive Mark Murphy is a trailer, not a truck.
If Murphy truly did tell Rodgers to knock off the diva crap after they hired Lafleur then kudos to him.  A step in the right direction I guess I'll believe it when I see it but hopefully that worked and Rodgers steps up for the team and not just himself.

Still bitter about Murphy keeping TT around far too long.  TT's personnel abilities had been declining for quite some time...I just wish the front office had addressed that a year or two sooner.

That Rodgers is a petty jerk is well established. There was a brilliant thread a few years back about how Rodgers insists on putting himself into the "team captains" photo every game, even when the coach decides he's not a captain (even going as far back as when he was Favre's backup). That alone is indicative of his "me first" diva mindset. 
I think it is funny he does that.

Chicago Hooligan said:
Jennings and Finley still salty as ever, I see.
Let's not dismiss the article because of those two.  Where there's smoke typically there is fire.  Bill Michaels was talking about this on his radio show and it's well known amongst NFL insiders that Rodgers is a diva and difficult to work with.  Hell of a QB but hopefully his attitude changes and he becomes a leader and actually helps the younger guys instead of freezing them out.

I don't doubt that Rodgers can be difficult, but I also admire his refusal to rise to any of the bait that's regularly floated. He's gay! He hates his family! He dates movie stars! He's arrogant! He's sensitive!

I totally buy that some players gave up in games Rodgers didn't play. On the other hand, all that "NAWT A LEADAH LIKE BRADY" stuff is just *jacking off motion*

Eddie Lacy worked out for the Ravens. I would love to see him get back into the league. Forget all the cheeseburger jokes, he's still one of my favorite players from the last 10 years.

Let's not dismiss the article because of those two.  Where there's smoke typically there is fire.  Bill Michaels was talking about this on his radio show and it's well known amongst NFL insiders that Rodgers is a diva and difficult to work with.  Hell of a QB but hopefully his attitude changes and he becomes a leader and actually helps the younger guys instead of freezing them out.
The family relationship of Rodgers is all the evidence you need to say that there is truth to what Jennings and Finley say.

Probably some truth...but those two do like to talk a lot.  Meanwhile others go on and on about liking him (James Jones, Cobb, Jordy, Kuhn...).

Probably those he really got close with and the others never made their way into his inner circle.

Favre was like that too with younger guys when he was older.  Took a while til you gained his trust.

Rodgers injury and update was the only news worthy segment of the interview.  At least the only thing I really cared about.  The queens can fight over the drama amongst themselves... 

Kleck said:
Rodgers injury and update was the only news worthy segment of the interview.  At least the only thing I really cared about.  The queens can fight over the drama amongst themselves... 
Agree about the drama.  Interesting to hear the dynamics of new coach and departing players. 

I really don't care what position the player is at, I am a believer in drafting the guy you think has the best chance of being elite at his position. That is what I will be hoping for. I want to hear about elite potential at their positions.

Bob McGinn went out on a limb for his annual "I hate predictions" article:

12. GREEN BAY PACKERS: Jeffery Simmons, DT, Mississippi State

It would be a controversial selection, to be sure, but GM Brian Gutekunst has shown an inclination to be aggressive. The four players selected just in front of the Packers all would interest them. A team with two first-round picks takes a gamble on greatness.

I really don't care what position the player is at, I am a believer in drafting the guy you think has the best chance of being elite at his position. That is what I will be hoping for. I want to hear about elite potential at their positions.
Yeah anywhere from TE, OL, DL and so on. So many they could get that would be nice.  More of a who I don’t want...first off would be DK Metcalf at 12. No no no.

Haskins falls to them at 12 and Lock at 30.  And Mike McCarthy announces both picks!  Keep the QB drama alive!

Oline or Dline at 12 assuming Hockensen is gone and Fant (likely gone) or AJ Brown at 30.  Brown is a beast and would be an excellent slot receiver in this offense.

Users who are viewing this thread